PDA

View Full Version : Would the Sox draft . . .

ondafarm
11-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Jeff Samardzija from Notre Dame?

Supposedly he's got a 95 mph fastball and pitches well for the ND baseball team. He is also a White Sox fan.

And if so, would he play baseball?

I really think Samardzija is in a great position. He can expect to be drafted by an NFL team and should he get drafted by the Sox, instead of another team, he could forgo playing football and go to probably Winston-Salem. If he was drafted by a different baseball team, he can play football.

FedEx227
11-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Um...

he was drafted and signed by the Cubs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2490178

ondafarm
11-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Um...

he was drafted and signed by the Cubs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2490178

I'm putting you down as a leaning toward negative then.

The Wall
11-05-2006, 10:32 AM

Is there something we dont know? Something about him wanting out of that Cubs contract?

He did sign and play for a cubs minor league team over the summer and he did get NCAA approval for that so he could retain his eligibility to play football for ND this season.

chaerulez
11-05-2006, 11:27 AM

If by negative, you mean impossible as he is already signed and playing for a different organization.

Also, I don't think he will forgo football completely, he knows that's where he stands the chance of making the most money.

SABRSox
11-05-2006, 01:20 PM
If by negative, you mean impossible as he is already signed and playing for a different organization.

Also, I don't think he will forgo football completely, he knows that's where he stands the chance of making the most money.

He was quoted as saying he will play both baseball and football professionally, a la Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, etc.

BigPapaPump
11-06-2006, 02:05 PM
He was quoted as saying he will play both baseball and football professionally, a la Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, etc.

Would that workout better for him as he is a pitcher and not an everyday player like Deion or Bo?

Daver
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM

I doubt an MLB team will allow that for a pitcher, especially on the Major League level.

ondafarm
11-06-2006, 07:12 PM
Would that workout better for him as he is a pitcher and not an everyday player like Deion or Bo?

Very doubtful.

Ask the original two sport baseballer, Hawk Harrleson (baseball and golf.)

SABRSox
11-06-2006, 08:07 PM
I doubt an MLB team will allow that for a pitcher, especially on the Major League level.

The Cubs are hardly an MLB team. For them, "pitcher" and "injured" go hand in hand.

cws05champ
11-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Why is this even a thread?

FedEx227
11-07-2006, 12:03 AM
The Cubs are hardly an MLB team. For them, "pitcher" and "injured" go hand in hand.

Whatever brings in $$$ is fine by them. The Cubs would LOVE to be put into a situation like this.

buehrle4cy05
11-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Whatever brings in$$$ is fine by them. The Cubs would LOVE to be put into a situation like this.

Bingo. He's a popular player at ND, and that popularity would carry over to Wrigely Field, where it wouldn't matter how well he plays, people would go to see him play. He would likely hurt the Cubs more than he would help them, but management could care less as long as he's bringing in fans.

jamokes
11-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Tough decision for a young kid to make, baseball or football.......he's better off with football.

ondafarm
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Tough decision for a young kid to make, baseball or football.......he's better off with football.

I'm curious as to why people think so. With baseball, his chances of having a longer career are much greater and the chances of him walking away from the sport without a major injury are much greater as well. As for the money, stars of both sports make a great deal of it, but for how long?

Randar68
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
I'm curious as to why people think so. With baseball, his chances of having a longer career are much greater and the chances of him walking away from the sport without a major injury are much greater as well. As for the money, stars of both sports make a great deal of it, but for how long?

How much money can be made in either? Well, baseball contract are guaranteed. Football contracts are not. A decent MLB starter can make in the 8-10 million dollar range. A decent NFL WR makes around 4 million a year or so, again, on a non-guaranteed contract.

ondafarm
11-07-2006, 12:18 PM
How much money can be made in either? Well, baseball contract are guaranteed. Football contracts are not. A decent MLB starter can make in the 8-10 million dollar range. A decent NFL WR makes around 4 million a year or so, again, on a non-guaranteed contract.

The dominant factor would be how good are you at either. A star in either sport would make far more money than a journeyman in the other. I think players of the same level make more over a career in baseball than in football, then again, the early money would favor football.

Hangar18
11-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Bingo. He's a popular player at ND, and that popularity would carry over to Wrigely Field, where it wouldn't matter how well he plays, people would go to see him play. He would likely hurt the Cubs more than he would help them, but management could care less as long as he's bringing in fans.

DING DING DING! Post of the Day! I was going to mention how the cameras were flocking his every move, how his "popularity" was going to go over "BIG" with chicago cub fans ..... the Mark Grace-ification has already begun. They already had this clown throwing out 1st pitches and singing in the 7th inning. The Cubs are happy

soxfan13
11-07-2006, 01:26 PM
DING DING DING! Post of the Day! I was going to mention how the cameras were flocking his every move, how his "popularity" was going to go over "BIG" with chicago cub fans ..... the Mark Grace-ification has already begun. They already had this clown throwing out 1st pitches and singing in the 7th inning. The Cubs are happy

I seem to remember Kyle McCulloch being at a SOX game this year and throwing out the first pitch and being interviewed during the game by DJ and Hawk. Is McCulloch a clown or better yet, the White Sox acting like the Cubs organization?

KRS1
11-07-2006, 05:41 PM
I seem to remember Kyle McCulloch being at a SOX game this year and throwing out the first pitch and being interviewed during the game by DJ and Hawk. Is McCulloch a clown or better yet, the White Sox acting like the Cubs organization?

Kyle was our first round pick. Jeff was fifth rounder who got a hugely undeserved bonus. See the difference? A lot of teams invite their first round picks to big public events, Im pretty sure all do, some have them throw out first pitches at their games. What I have never seen before is a fifth rounder do those things, and especially not one who has as much to prove as Jeff. Kyle led a national championship team as a junior, and proved to be one of the best and most polished college pitchers in the nation.

Hangar18
11-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Kyle was our first round pick. Jeff was fifth rounder who got a hugely undeserved bonus. See the difference? A lot of teams invite their first round picks to big public events, Im pretty sure all do, some have them throw out first pitches at their games. What I have never seen before is a fifth rounder do those things, and especially not one who has as much to prove as Jeff. Kyle led a national championship team as a junior, and proved to be one of the best and most polished college pitchers in the nation.

So let me get this straight.
Pitcher A:
1st round pick,
Led a National Championship team as a Junior
Proved to be most polished college pitcher in the nation

Pitcher B:
5th round pick
Humongous signing bonus

....but Pitcher B is one of the most talked about draft picks since Mark "The Messiah" Prior on local television, with cameras and reporters tracking him like the paparazzi?

mjmcend
11-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Pitcher A:
1st round pick,
Led a National Championship team as a Junior

Pitcher B:
5th round pick
Humongous signing bonus

....but Pitcher B is one of the most talked about draft picks since Mark "The Messiah" Prior on local television, with cameras and reporters tracking him like the paparazzi?

Don't let facts get in the way of your Cub hating....

TDog
11-08-2006, 03:25 PM

That is idiotic. Bo Jackson could have been one of the all-time greats in baseball if he hadn't played football at all. Of course, he only played with the White Sox because he was damaged by football. I don't know what ever happened to Deion Sanders' football career, but he was a joke as a baseball player.

I've never heard of this Notre Dame player with a name that looks unpronounceable, but if he has a choice of big money guaranteed MLB contracts and big NFL contracts that aren't guaranteed, he would be making the better choice to choose baseball, where even Kerry Wood is a very rich man.

He would live longer too.

KRS1
11-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Pitcher A:
1st round pick,

Well, I said "one of" the most polished, but I think you catch the drift.:cool:

mjmcend
11-08-2006, 05:24 PM

Do you have a source for this? Not stating that I don't believe you, but I have heard this at all.

FedEx227
11-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Do you have a source for this? Not stating that I don't believe you, but I have heard this at all.

He has said it multiple times, I don't want to look it up now, but I can account for hearing him in a spoken interview saying the such.

mjmcend
11-09-2006, 01:43 PM
He has said it multiple times, I don't want to look it up now, but I can account for hearing him in a spoken interview saying the such.

I follow ND football as closely as I follow the White Sox and I have not heard him say anything definitive. I am not saying that you are wrong, just that it seems weird that I didn't hear anything. Think it is time for me to use google for a bit...

mjmcend
11-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Think it is time for me to use google for a bit...

And 2 minutes later I realize you are right, he does want to play both. Seems unrealistic to me.

SABRSox
11-09-2006, 05:49 PM

Samardzija's father was quoted saying this. That's when I heard about it. I guess Samardzija himself is also quoted as saying such.

ondafarm
11-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Samardzija's father was quoted saying this. That's when I heard about it. I guess Samardzija himself is also quoted as saying such.

I heard that on an ND football broadcast. No definitive source though. Although he got special permission, I doubt the Flubs will be very happy about it.