PDA

View Full Version : Yankees unhappy after Pettitte's son wears Mets cap

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. -- Andy Pettitte hardly counted on causing a cap flap.

Yet that's exactly what happened recently when one of the pitcher's sons was photographed wearing a New York Mets hat in the Yankees' spring training dugout. Dad's team was not amused.

Last Monday, before an exhibition games began, Pettitte brought sons Josh and Jared into the dugout at Legends Field. While there, a news photographer took a nice picture of them.

Innocent enough, Pettitte thought. In fact, he made sure to get a copy of the photo.

Only one problem: 7-year-old Josh's Mets cap.

It turns out there was a logical reason. Back home in Texas, he plays for a Little League team called the Mets, and they wear the same style of blue-and-orange caps as the big leaguers.

No matter. Because when the picture appeared in a local paper the next day, well, the reaction was predictable -- and swift.

"Apparently, someone was upset. I don't know who," Pettitte said Saturday. "But they didn't like it."

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman definitely wanted an explanation.

"I was made aware of the picture," he said. "I went to the player and inquired about the circumstances, and he told me it was his son's Little League team."

Neither Pettitte nor Cashman described details of the discussion, though it seemed clear their talk took on a serious tone.

Ever since George Steinbrenner bought the team, the Yankees have placed great importance on their rivalry with the Mets.

Whether it's beating them in Subway Series games or topping them for attention on the back pages of New York's tabloids, the Yankees want to win.

The competition shows up in more subtle ways, too.

For years, Mets games were kept off the television in the press dining room at Yankee Stadium. Team officials still keenly track attendance totals on the rare occasions when both clubs play at home on the same date.

Pettitte, meanwhile, was asked to be more selective in where his son's Mets hat shows up. Not that he's getting caught up in any cap flap.

"To me, it's a non-issue," Pettitte said.

FarWestChicago
03-04-2002, 06:16 PM
This week's proof that there are people with too much time on their hands working for the Skanks. :smile:

Daver
03-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
This week's proof that there are people with too much time on their hands working for the Skanks. :smile:

Ya Think?

czalgosz
03-04-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

I wonder what people would say if they saw a Sox player's kid wearing a Cubs hat in the Sox dugout?

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I wonder what people would say if they saw a Sox player's kid wearing a Cubs hat in the Sox dugout?

I hope nothing would be said, it's a kid. In the case of Pettitte has son plays for the "Mets", it's not like he's a fan of the NY Mets. Some people take baseball way to seriously.

FarWestChicago
03-04-2002, 06:33 PM

I wonder what people would say if they saw a Sox player's kid wearing a Cubs hat in the Sox dugout? :moron

Of course the child of any Smut Sox player would be wearing a Cubs hat. Barney is a Cubs fan. And Sammy is the most beloved human being on the planet.

rmusacch
03-04-2002, 07:16 PM

I agree with you there. Even if the kid plays for the Mets, he should not be wearing a Mets hat in the Yankees dugout. No matter the explanation, it just looks bad.

Ray

doublem23
03-04-2002, 08:25 PM
That is, quite possibly, the dumbest thing I have ever read. Good Lord. They're lucky they have hundreds of millions of dollars to spend because any team that completely insane should not win games.

Damn Yankees.

Paulwny
03-05-2002, 05:56 AM
I think Pettite knew what he was doing. By allowing his kid to wear a mets' cap, he knew it would upset some yankmee brass.
A little pay back to King George who wanted to trade him a few years ago.

Jjav829
03-05-2002, 07:56 AM
It must be nice. While every other team is worrying about who is going to make their roster, and wondering about how they are gonna do this upcoming season, the Yankees are worrying about what hat the son of one of their pitchers is wearing.

Hey, you think maybe they'll be upset enough to trade him? :smile:

Kilroy
03-05-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
A little pay back to King George who wanted to trade him a few years ago.

I think that is doubtful. I can't imagine 2-3 years after the fact, he'd still be irritated by that and then use his kid to needle him.

If you ask me, it was a simple case of a kid attached to his hat. When I was in little league, we never took 'em off. I remember getting whacked in the head for trying to wear mine into church one time. My first Sox hat, I wore it until it fell apart. I put it on one day and the bill came off in my hand.

I'm sure Pettite knew that there could be some questions about it, but not stories in the paper. I hope he doesn't turn puss and not let the kid wear the hat the next time.

Paulwny
03-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

I think that is doubtful. I can't imagine 2-3 years after the fact, he'd still be irritated by that and then use his kid to needle him.

If you ask me, it was a simple case of a kid attached to his hat. When I was in little league, we never took 'em off. I remember getting whacked in the head for trying to wear mine into church one time. My first Sox hat, I wore it until it fell apart. I put it on one day and the bill came off in my hand.

I'm sure Pettite knew that there could be some questions about it, but not stories in the paper. I hope he doesn't turn puss and not let the kid wear the hat the next time.

Maybe it's the kids 1st year in LL or as a met and then Pettite got the idea.
Agree, I don't think he expected this much flak.