PDA

View Full Version : Crosstown Classic Question - help?

bsblchik
11-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Hello! My grandmother just posed a question to me and I'm not sure what the answer is, so I figured someone on here may know...

For the Crosstown Classic Game that was played prior to interleague play, was it played in 1974 (that's before my time, but I'm pretty sure it was) and if so, what was the score/outcome of it?

If anyone knows the answers and doesn't mind posting, it would make one south side grandma very happy ;) THANKS!

Brian26
11-04-2006, 09:34 AM
For the Crosstown Classic Game that was played prior to interleague play, was it played in 1974 (that's before my time, but I'm pretty sure it was) and if so, what was the score/outcome of it?

That's a great question. Lindberg's Total White Sox book only has the results of the City Series up until 1942. I don't know where you would find the results for all of the exhbiition games. The first one I remember was in '81 (I think it was a two game series). Then they brought it back in '85, and I think the last one may have been '94 (Jordan played at Wrigley).

Lip Man 1
11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
The 'Crosstown Classic' (later renamed the 'Windy City Classic') sponsored by Busch Beer made it's debut in Comiskey Park in April 1985. The series was played every season through 1995 when two games were played as part of the team's getting back in shape from the labor impasse.

Here's the significant point....in the 12 games played the Sox NEVER LOST. They went 10-0-2.

Yes in 1994 MJ hit a double late in the game at Wrigley to tie the score and keep the Sox from losing.

Another big moment happened in 1993 when at Comiskey Park the Sox rallied in the 9th inning to win thanks to Bo Jackson.

Ron Karkovice and Bobby Bonilla (yes the same guy) also had big games in 1990 and 1986 respectively, both at Wrigley.

Dave Gallagher threw out at home the tying runner in the 9th inning with two outs to seal the Sox 6-5 win in 1990 and that was also the same game where Steve 'Psycho' Lyons played all nine positions during the contest.

I have the games from 1986, 1990 and 1992 on tape.

Why did the series end? No one knows for sure but there was an unconfirmed rumor at the time that it was the Cubs who decided the series had run its course.

Here are the scores that I found without much trouble:

1985- Comiskey Park, Sox-7, Cubs-4
1986- Wrigley Field, Sox-3, Cubs-0
1990- Wrigley Field, Sox-6, Cubs-5
1992- Wrigley Field, Sox-5, Cubs-0

The two games played in 1981 after the labor impasse was solved and teams were granted a few exhibition games to get back in shape was not part of this series.

Lip

doogiec
11-04-2006, 12:26 PM
This is a very vague recollection of mine, and could be inaccurate-

I remember attending a Sox vs. Cubs exhibition game at old Comiskey around this time (I'm betting it had to be either '73 or '74).

The Cubs beat the Sox 1-0. Billy Williams hit a solo shot off Wilbur Wood for the only scoring.

This sticks in my mind for a couple of reasons-It was the first time I ever went to a night game (my dad always used to take me to weekend day games), and I remember being surprised that the scoreboard exploded for Williams' HR.

Again, I have no source for this other than my memory. But I was totally into the White Sox at that point in my life, and for some reason some of these stupid memories have stuck.

roylestillman
11-04-2006, 02:05 PM
In the 60's there was a once a year exhibition game between the Sox and Cubs called the Boys Benefit Game. My recollection is that it was always a huge deal and was always played at Comiskey. I don't recall that it was played into the 70's

TDog
11-04-2006, 02:18 PM
The Sox and Cubs played midseason exhibitions at least some years in the 1960s and 1970s. The Boys Benefit Game may have gone back to the 1950s. I think it was played for more than 20 years, for charity. It was the first game I went to, probably in 1964 -- perhaps earlier, but certainly no later. The scoreboard exploded every time either team scored and they had two 7th inning stretches. The Sox won the game 7-2 at Comiskey, where the game was almost always played because of its larger capacity. Because the proceeds benefited youth baseball in Chicago, there was no television. I remember listening on the radio to the 1969 or 1970 game, with Ernie Banks starting at shortstop for the Cubs and making an error. Minor leaguers pitched because it was midseason. Billy Williams hit a 2-run homer in a 2-0 Cubs win.

The Cubs had a winning streak until maybe 1971 or 1972, when the game was played at Wrigley Field. As usual, I was out of the area on vacation when the game was played, but a friend (who went to a bunch of Boys Benefit games and saw the Billy Williams mammoth home run -- I really should e-mail him) went to the game and saw the White Sox win. He said Jay Johnstone hit a home run, so it couldn't have been in 1973 or 1974.

I don't know what happened to the game. I don't remember it being played in 1974, when Ron Santo was on the Sox. It just stopped being played.

LITTLE NELL
11-04-2006, 04:07 PM
I was at the 1964 game,it was the biggest crowd in the history of old Comiskey. It was standing room only with people sitting in the aisles and also 10 deep on the warning track from center field to the right field foul pole. In the game which the Sox won, the Cubs were given home team status and batted last(didnt matter). There is a picture of the crowd in Linberghs Pictorial History Of The White Sox printed in 1979.

Brian26
11-04-2006, 05:53 PM
The 'Crosstown Classic' (later renamed the 'Windy City Classic') sponsored by Busch Beer made it's debut in Comiskey Park in April 1985. The series was played every season through 1995 when two games were played as part of the team's getting back in shape from the labor impasse.

Do you remember the '87 game? It was a night game at Old Comiskey, and the fog rolled in around the 3rd inning and made it almost impossible to see the ball in the outfield.

I'm trying to remember what minor league pitcher got the start for the Sox. It may have been Tom Drees.

samram
11-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Do you remember the '87 game? It was a night game at Old Comiskey, and the fog rolled in around the 3rd inning and made it almost impossible to see the ball in the outfield.

I'm trying to remember what minor league pitcher got the start for the Sox. It may have been Tom Drees.

I thought it was Ralph Citarella. I think Walker almost hit one into the CF bleachers and Fisk and Darryl Boston also homered in that game.

Dick Allen
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
The Sox and Cubs played midseason exhibitions at least some years in the 1960s and 1970s. The Boys Benefit Game may have gone back to the 1950s. I think it was played for more than 20 years, for charity. It was the first game I went to, probably in 1964 -- perhaps earlier, but certainly no later. The scoreboard exploded every time either team scored and they had two 7th inning stretches. The Sox won the game 7-2 at Comiskey, where the game was almost always played because of its larger capacity. Because the proceeds benefited youth baseball in Chicago, there was no television. I remember listening on the radio to the 1969 or 1970 game, with Ernie Banks starting at shortstop for the Cubs and making an error. Minor leaguers pitched because it was midseason. Billy Williams hit a 2-run homer in a 2-0 Cubs win.

The Cubs had a winning streak until maybe 1971 or 1972, when the game was played at Wrigley Field. As usual, I was out of the area on vacation when the game was played, but a friend (who went to a bunch of Boys Benefit games and saw the Billy Williams mammoth home run -- I really should e-mail him) went to the game and saw the White Sox win. He said Jay Johnstone hit a home run, so it couldn't have been in 1973 or 1974.

I don't know what happened to the game. I don't remember it being played in 1974, when Ron Santo was on the Sox. It just stopped being played.Jay Johnstone and Rich McKinney hit HR's in that game, it was 1971, Sox won 7-3. They played the next season at Comiskey, Cubs won, I think it was 3-1. I don't think they played again until 1985.

Dick Allen
11-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I thought it was Ralph Citarella. I think Walker almost hit one into the CF bleachers and Fisk and Darryl Boston also homered in that game.You're right about Citarella, he had been in the Cardinals organization. Walker hit a popup to short CF in that game, and was lost in the fog for a double.

Brian26
11-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I thought it was Ralph Citarella. I think Walker almost hit one into the CF bleachers and Fisk and Darryl Boston also homered in that game.

May have been Citarella. The name doesn't ring a bell though.

You're right about Citarella, he had been in the Cardinals organization. Walker hit a popup to short CF in that game, and was lost in the fog for a double.

Bruce Wolf did commentary with Don Drysdale and Frank Messmer for an inning too. I think it was broadcast on Channel 32, and they were trying to let Wolf plug the new Ch 32 news show.

markopat
11-04-2006, 06:11 PM

Here's the significant point....in the 12 games played the Sox NEVER LOST. They went 10-0-2.

Yes in 1994 MJ hit a double late in the game at Wrigley to tie the score and keep the Sox from losing.

Another big moment happened in 1993 when at Comiskey Park the Sox rallied in the 9th inning to win thanks to Bo Jackson.

Ron Karkovice and Bobby Bonilla (yes the same guy) also had big games in 1990 and 1986 respectively, both at Wrigley.

Dave Gallagher threw out at home the tying runner in the 9th inning with two outs to seal the Sox 6-5 win in 1990 and that was also the same game where Steve 'Psycho' Lyons played all nine positions during the contest.

Why did the series end? No one knows for sure but there was an unconfirmed rumor at the time that it was the Cubs who decided the series had run its course.

The two games played in 1981 after the labor impasse was solved and teams were granted a few exhibition games to get back in shape was not part of this series.

Lip

The Lip Man is a Cornucopia of Knowledge!

RadioheadRocks
11-04-2006, 06:18 PM

I'm pretty sure that was Ralph Citarella; didn't he get credit for the win (well not actual Major League credit, but you know what I mean)?

I still have a third-generation VHS copy of the 1985 game (not that great picture quality, but certainly watchable), and aside from the Sox victory, my favorites were those two teenage girls they showed at the start of the game who said "Cubs, ewwwwww!" :D:

bsblchik
11-04-2006, 08:02 PM
So no one can really say then if it was played in 1974? hmmmm....

michned
11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Bruce Wolf did commentary with Don Drysdale and Frank Messmer for an inning too. I think it was broadcast on Channel 32, and they were trying to let Wolf plug the new Ch 32 news show.

In the '85 game Steve and Garry did radio commentary with Lorn Brown.

Steve: Wow, Steve Lake sure does have a great moustache! I think it's the best one on the Cubs. Back to you Lorn...

RadioheadRocks
11-04-2006, 09:45 PM

Didn't Wolf do some play-by-play as alter-ego Chet Chitchat during that game? I remember him doing his schtick and he suddenly went "BOOM-shakka-lakka" when a Sox player hit a home run. :D:

samram
11-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Didn't Wolf do some play-by-play as alter-ego Chet Chitchat during that game? I remember him doing his schtick and he suddenly went "BOOM-shakka-lakka" when a Sox player hit a home run. :D:

Yeah, that was his call for the Fisk homer.

cubhater
11-05-2006, 11:16 AM

Lip

IIRC, didn't Chris Sabo have his only shining moment in a Sox uniform during one of those games in the early 90s?

Lip Man 1
11-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Correct.

One of the few (since he won an April regular season game against the Twins with a home run) he had a home run at Wrigley to win a game in 1995.

Lip

roylestillman
11-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Just found this artifact from the attic: the scorecard from "Mayor Byrne's Cubs/White Sox Exhibition Charity Games" held August 7, 1981 at Comiskey and August 8, 1981 at Wrigley. These games were held before the restart of the season after the '81 strike. The proram mentions that he Boys Benefit Games were held fron 1949 through 1972. It mentions the 1964 game where the attendance was 52,712.and the Sox won 11-1.

At any rate there was no game in 1974.

McCuddy
11-05-2006, 04:27 PM
I'll hunt for my scorecards... was at 1987 and 1988. '88 was an extra-inning tie - may have been scoreless or 1-1, but no more than that.

Brian26
11-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Just found this artifact from the attic: the scorecard from "Mayor Byrne's Cubs/White Sox Exhibition Charity Games" held August 7, 1981 at Comiskey and August 8, 1981 at Wrigley. These games were held before the restart of the season after the '81 strike.

I'm going by memory, but I think the Sox lost the first game and then tied the second game (they wouldnt play extra innings).

DannyCaterFan
11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I can't say for sure if they played a game in 1974, but I do remember the two teams scheduled a home and home (2 games) series for about three years in the early seventies just at the end of spring training. Seems to me they canceled it after having weather problems in Chicago that early in April.

TDog
11-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I can't say for sure if they played a game in 1974, but I do remember the two teams scheduled a home and home (2 games) series for about three years in the early seventies just at the end of spring training. Seems to me they canceled it after having weather problems in Chicago that early in April.

In 1970, the preseason exhibitions with the Cubs were held in Dallas, after the Sox packed up in Florida and the Cubs packed up in Arizona. I don't remember preseason games with the Cubs being played in Chicago in those years.

April 1974 was particularly brutal weather-wise. I had a Sunday season-ticket plan that year, and the first Sox home Sunday had to be called because of snow -- in extra innings with the score tied at 4-4.

I had season tickets from '72 to '75, before going to college in downstate Indiana, and I don't remember any exhibition games being played at home before the season started.

Dick Allen
11-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm going by memory, but I think the Sox lost the first game and then tied the second game (they wouldnt play extra innings).It was the other way around. They tied at Comiskey on a Friday night, Cubs won the Saturday game at Wrigley by a run as Baines hit into a DP to end the game.

Dick Allen
11-05-2006, 10:10 PM
In 1970, the preseason exhibitions with the Cubs were held in Dallas, after the Sox packed up in Florida and the Cubs packed up in Arizona. I don't remember preseason games with the Cubs being played in Chicago in those years.

April 1974 was particularly brutal weather-wise. I had a Sunday season-ticket plan that year, and the first Sox home Sunday had to be called because of snow -- in extra innings with the score tied at 4-4.

I had season tickets from '72 to '75, before going to college in downstate Indiana, and I don't remember any exhibition games being played at home before the season started.They did play home and home exhibitions at the end of spring training for a couple of years in the late 60's, I remember going to one at Wrigley. The upper deck was closed, not a whole lot of interest.

doogiec
11-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I was curious about this, so I did a little digging in the Tribune archives on the internet. They give the first few lines of each story without charging, so I was able to figure this out.

It appears the last intra city exhibition game of that era was played on August 14, 1972 at White Sox Park. The Cubs defeated the White Sox 3-1 on a Billy Williams homer, so I'm sure that was the game I vaguely remembered from my youth. About 38,000 attended with the proceeds going to charity. The article also mentions that Ernie Banks (who was retired) played for the Cubs in that game, and received several standing ovations from the crowd.

There is no reference to another game until 1981, but every couple of years there is a column complaining that the Sox and Cubs should revive the charity game. Mayor Byrne actually suggested the teams play some charity games during the strike in 1981, but no agreement could be reached, so the teams played two games before the season resumed, as mentioned above.

So to answer grandma, I would be willing to bet no game was played in 1974.