PDA

View Full Version : Sox Sign Their First Free Agent of the Offseason

Unregistered
11-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Looks like KW is striking while the iron is... um... hot?

The White Sox have signed free agent outfielder Luis Terrero to a one-year contract.

The 26-year-old Terrero, 26, hit .318 with 21 doubles, 16 home runs, 44 RBI and 18 stolen bases in 84 games with Triple-A Ottawa in the Baltimore system in 2006. He also played in 27 games with the Orioles, going 8-40 with one home run and six RBI.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061103soxsigning,1,7463418.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

SABRSox
11-03-2006, 03:35 PM
This is the missing piece.

MUsoxfan
11-03-2006, 03:37 PM
KW's not waiting to pull out the big guns

SoxSpeed22
11-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Let's see what he can do.

KRS1
11-03-2006, 03:40 PM
He used to be considered a damn good five-tool prospect, but weve seen how it hasnt translated into him adjusting to the pro game. He would make a nice option as a fourth OF, and he has good wheels so he could make a nice pinch runner. Not much more to say other than the fact this is a low risk move here by KW.

kidmccarthy
11-03-2006, 03:41 PM
dont get too excited yet. Here is a good read on him, albeit a bit old.

link (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/special3/articles/0330dbnb0330.html)

DaleJRFan
11-03-2006, 03:43 PM
Not a bad signing, not bad at all. I wonder if it is a major league contract or a minor league contract with a NRI to ST??

EDIT: DUH! He's now on the 40man, so it isnt a NRI contract...

DaleJRFan
11-03-2006, 03:45 PM
MLB Player page:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=407880

baseball cube:
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Luis-Terrero.shtml

baseball reference:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/terrelu01.shtml

sox1970
11-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Terrero was probably considered a 6-year minor league free agent, even though he was added to the 40-man roster. The regular major league free agents can't start signing with new teams until next Saturday.

itsnotrequired
11-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Bold, offseason move...

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-03-2006, 03:56 PM
who cares about this guy. We have 2 men like this already (Sweeney/Fields).

Please tell me this man isnt going to take Pods's place

DaleJRFan
11-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Sweeney and Fields are righthanded hitting 4th outfielders with more than a Semptember callup's MLB experience?? Again, KW with the small move that will probably end up being a big pickup. Dustin Hermanson anyone? I remeber all of the "who cares" posts the day Hermanson was signed, too.

MeteorsSox4367
11-03-2006, 04:02 PM
Anyone know if Grandstand has the Terrero jerseys in yet?

DumpJerry
11-03-2006, 04:08 PM

:tealtutor:

BeviBall!
11-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I took a flier on this guy in my fantasy league a few years back. The line on him back then was he had some pretty solid potential. After Cintron's fine year (similar talent level), I'll expect similar results.

soxinem1
11-03-2006, 04:15 PM
With this move, we can just forget the regular season and beging printing the playoff tickets!!

Now if we can just get Crash Davis and Pedro Cerrano!!

TheVulture
11-03-2006, 04:17 PM
The difference between Sweeney, Fields and Terrero is that Terrero is a natural centerfield with outstanding defensive skills: great speed, cannon arm. Good depth pick-up considering the sox don't seem to happy with Anderson.

DickAllen72
11-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Is this the same guy the Sox were reportedly interested in near the end of Spring Training last year (one rumor had the Sox possibly trading Borchard for him) or am I thinking of someone else? The guy I'm thinking of looked pretty good in ST games against the Sox...

Iguana775
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
He used to be considered a damn good five-tool prospect, but weve seen how it hasnt translated into him adjusting to the pro game. He would make a nice option as a fourth OF, and he has good wheels so he could make a nice pinch runner. Not much more to say other than the fact this is a low risk move here by KW.

If he can keep Mac from playing CF then I'm all for it.

23Ventura
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
If he can keep Mac from playing CF then I'm all for it.
Exactly. If Ozzie doesn't want to play Anderson, hopefully he'll have a decent replacement now.

Iguana775
11-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Exactly. If Ozzie doesn't want to play Anderson, hopefully he'll have a decent replacement now.

I swear that Mac was responsible for at least 5 loses cause he played a terrible CF.

FedEx227
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey, it's not a negative signing. Whats the worst that can happen?

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Very low risk move by Williams. What can it hurt?

FedEx227
11-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Very low risk move by Williams. What can it hurt?

Exactly. Worse case, he sucks ass. Wow we didn't break the bank for him.

Its a low risk/medium reward

TDog
11-03-2006, 05:23 PM
Terrero was probably considered a 6-year minor league free agent, even though he was added to the 40-man roster. The regular major league free agents can't start signing with new teams until next Saturday.

Kelly Wunsch, an important pitcher in 2000, was a one-time first-round pick by the Brewers who was lost as a 6-year minor league free agent. These are minor moves. They carry little risk but can pay big dividends.

This move certainly is nothing to complain about.

Mohoney
11-03-2006, 05:32 PM
He did hit .318 last year. Give him a chance to win a 5th OF job in Spring Training. If he does well, he can keep Mack in the corners of the OF and backing up at 3B.

jabrch
11-03-2006, 06:16 PM
He's a good backup CF for a low cost. How many people will be happy to never see Mackowiak in CF next season?

JB98
11-03-2006, 06:36 PM
What can it hurt? I think we all agree that CF needs to be addressed. Maybe this guy will help. If he doesn't, we're no worse off.

FedEx227
11-03-2006, 06:45 PM
How many people will be happy to never see Mackowiak in CF next season?

OOOOOOOH OOOOOOH PICK ME!

soxtalker
11-03-2006, 07:32 PM
This is the type of move that KW has done well throughout his stint at GM.

While there have been lots of calls for the acquisition of big-name players on this board, it wouldn't surprise me if this is more typical of the type of move that KW will make. I'm not saying that KW will avoid big names, but he's probably looking at a far wider range of players than we fans would know about.

jabrch
11-03-2006, 07:43 PM
This is the type of move that KW has done well throughout his stint at GM.

...I'm not saying that KW will avoid big names, but he's probably looking at a far wider range of players than we fans would know about.

He better be looking at a lot of things that even the most diligent of us aren't - that's his job.

He's going to make good small moves with high impact, and he will make his few big rolls of the dice. That's KW. The former will be pretty good most of the time, and will never have any real downside, as they are low cost enough to escape from if he needs to. Some will be big hits, other misses, some will be no impact. The latter will be the ones that get the most press. But both are important.

ChiSoxLifer
11-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I might be going out on a limb but it looks like the Sox improved on the CF position with a minor move. As others have said, Terrero plays good defense, lots of speed, and has a good arm. I'm sure he can hit better than Brian's .225/8hr/33rbi and .290 obp. Heck, Joe Borchard hit .230/10hr/28rbi and .322 obp. in only 230 abs. I'm not saying the Sox shouldn't have traded Borchard because I'm very happy they traded for Thornton. Most people's opinion is that Borchard is a bust, but if his numbers are better than BA's, then what would you consider BA?

DumpJerry
11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune's write-up, he was suspended twice in the minors. Once for throwing a ball into the stands after an altercation on the field and injuring someone. The second time was for kissing Home Plate after a home run.
Kissing Home Plate is a rule violation????????

BRDSR
11-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I might be going out on a limb but it looks like the Sox improved on the CF position with a minor move. As others have said, Terrero plays good defense, lots of speed, and has a good arm. I'm sure he can hit better than Brian's .225/8hr/33rbi and .290 obp. Heck, Joe Borchard hit .230/10hr/28rbi and .322 obp. in only 230 abs. I'm not saying the Sox shouldn't have traded Borchard because I'm very happy they traded for Thornton. Most people's opinion is that Borchard is a bust, but if his numbers are better than BA's, then what would you consider BA?

Not only could he be better than some of our current options, this trade also lays the groundwork for an acquisition of a bonafide starting centerfielder, making Brian Anderson and/or Podsednik trade bait. I love this move. It's not like KW could have made any other moves at this point in the offseason, besides picking up all the appropriate options(he did).

Worst case: we don't land a bona-fide outfielder, Terrero provides more competition for the 5th outfielder spot during spring training, and then sucks when he does or does not make the roster. The man will make $78,000 if he plays in the minors next season. Why did you do that Kenny?!

These are the kinds of little moves that turn 90-win teams who sit at home in October into 94 win teams that play in October. Keep it up Kenny.

buehrle4cy05
11-04-2006, 11:20 PM
The second time was for kissing Home Plate after a home run.
Kissing Home Plate is a rule violation????????

Looks like Chad Johnson's got some competition.

Uh...kissing home plate after a HR in the minors?:?: Still, as it's been said before, low risk, medium reward. It's ok with me.

gf2020
11-05-2006, 03:22 AM
I swear that Mac was responsible for at least 5 loses cause he played a terrible CF.
That's crazy. Mac wasn't very good at CF, but where are these five losses? How many losses did we have because BA was awful at the plate in the first half?

DaleJRFan
11-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Luis Terrero was the player caught on third base by the hidden ball trick in 2005 by Mike Lowell.

Awesome heads-up baserunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B3XXvNHYWY

Lillian
11-05-2006, 05:26 AM
This guy could be one of those rare finds. He has always had the tools, all five of them. He broke into professional baseball at 17, and already is a veteran of 9 pro seasons, at just 26.
His last 519 at bats at AAA, combining the previous two years that he spent any time in the minors, his stats are pretty respectable:

.315 avg .370 OBP 30 Doubles 8 Triples 25 HR 79 RBI 33 SB 12 CS

I have read a couple places that "he lacks power", but the consensus seems to be that he has considerable pop, including opposite field power. He's a pretty good sized kid, and he is supposed to have a very strong arm.

This is much more intriguing to me than some older guy with limited potential.
He is regarded as a good defensive outfielder, with good speed, and a strong accurate arm. At least we won't have to worry about a backup for BA.

Here's a link to an old forum, with a brief fan discussion.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=24930

duke of dorwood
11-05-2006, 06:52 PM
This guy is depth and insurance. It would be unwise to have only 3 outfielders again next year