PDA

View Full Version : Who are your keys to the season?

chisoxfanatic
03-04-2002, 04:05 PM
Every year, we must rely on certain players to play their best game to be successful, and this year is no different. Who is your key to our offense, defense, and pitching?

Heather the Redbird

kermittheefrog
03-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic
Every year, we must rely on certain players to play their best game to be successful, and this year is no different. Who is your key to our offense, defense, and pitching?

Heather the Redbird

Offense: Carlos Lee is the opposite of James Baldwin. We've seen consecutive excellent first halves but nothing in the second. If Lee plays a full season we could have 4 MVP candidates with Thomas, Ordonez, Konerko and Lee.

Defense: Kenny Lofton. He doesn't have to come close to Singleton defensively he just has to be solid.

Pitching: We have so many arms I'm not going to put down a specific name but just say someone has will step maybe two guys will. My favorites out the group as bets to improve are Wright, Rauch and Biddle but the last two come with health risks.

chisoxfanatic
03-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Pitching: Jim Parque. We have 2 or 3 locks for starting pitchers right now, and we need Parque to come back from last season's setback with a bang. He must be able to give us an average of 6 or 7 innings every night. If we can get productivity out of Parque, I think our pitching is going to be all right.

Offense: Frank Thomas. Supposedly, the Big Hurt's feeling better than ever, and when he's on his game, he puts up HOF #s. This is the leader of the team, and we need him to hit well so that the middle of the order can do what we expect it to do--get those big RBIs.

Defense: Jose Valentin. Clayton showed us last year that defensively he was an upgrade, and I don't see a problem from him at SS. Valentin, however, is a liability on the field. In addition, I hope that Carlos Lee can pick it up in Left, because if he doesn't, our defense on the left side of the field is going to be rather spartan.

Heather the Redbird

doublem23
03-04-2002, 04:14 PM
Well let's see, loosely, in order of importance, they would be:

1) STARTING PITCHING - Gotta pitch. We don't need five world-beaters, but we need to get a group that will A) start games consistently (as opposed to last year's revolving door staff) and B) picth well consistently. The biggest keys are Buehrle, Garland, Ritchie, and Parque, IMO, tho I believe Parque should be in the 'pen.

2) FRANK THOMAS - While he doesn't need to have a 2000-esque season (tho I wouldn't complain if he did), Thomas has to anchor our lineup.

3) BULLPEN - The bullpen, IMO is a strength of this team. Foulke should be a given. After that, while there are question marks, they aren't major ones, and, hopefully, all the the depth we have at pitching anyways should help out.

4) OFFENSE - Gotta score runs, because the defense is shaky at best.

I probably forgot something. Overall, we need to get a few good bounces, but in reality, our division is so pathetically weak, if the Sox play like they are capable of, they'll be alive and well in October.

Go Sox!

EDIT: And now I notice you asked WHO, not what.... Oh, well... I'm used to looking like quite the fool around here :smile:

Foulke You
03-04-2002, 04:31 PM
OFFENSE: The "rabbits" (Durham and Lofton) as described by Frank Thomas have to set the table for the big 5 of Thomas, Maggs, Konerko, Valentin, and Lee. (That's a formidable lineup indeed!)

PITCHING: Besides the obvious consistent starting pitching,
Osuna and Barcelo could be wild cards in the pen and could make us forget the loss of Lowe if they perform. Any lefty beside Wunsch? My main man Foulkey must overcome his inability to perform well in tie ball games and keep his "lights out" ability in save situations.

DEFENSE: Teach our friggin' pitchers how to field their positition! I'm talkin' to you Parque and Wunsch! Only Buehrle and Foulke have shown ability to field at the pitcher's mound. This is a very underrated defense aspect and has been a problem for Sox pitching the past couple years.
Plus, Carlos MUST improve in Left Field or he is just keeping Borchard's seat warm.

idseer
03-04-2002, 05:03 PM

Heather the Redbird

imo the keys are ..
offense .... thomas coming back strong.

defense .... valentin had better improve if he's our 3b!

pitching .... garland must continue his improvement.

i base this on the expectation that the other starters will perform up to their average standards

hold2dibber
03-04-2002, 05:29 PM
Good question. Off the top of my head:

(1) OFFENSE: Lofton and Durham. If both of these guys can put up .350+ OBP and steal some bases consistently, the big 5 will driving in huge amounts of runs (which we'll need if we're going to win the Division).

(2) PITCHING: This is a tough one, because they really need everyone in the starting rotation to pitch to their abilities (the bullpen is plenty deep, in my opinion, to overcome a weak year by anyone other than Foulke, and Fouke is, IMHO, a given). So, if I had to pick one, I'd pick Parque. I'm confident in Buehrle and Ritchie and I think Garland will be fine too, but Parque, as something of a veteran, needs to show his 2000 form (not great, but solid) to anchor the rotation and bridge the gap from the work horses to the young guys at the back of the rotation.

(3) DEFENSE: Durham. I'd love to see the double play combination back firing on all cylanders like it was in 2000. Durham's errors seem to hurt more than Manos' and, as an up the middle defender, a solid defense year out of Ray will go a long way towards helping the young staff thrive.

There are plenty of "if's" on this team, but probably less than anyone else in the Division. It is there for the taking, no doubt about it.

Pete_SSAC
03-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Starting Pitching - Parque. We need him to be healthy and put (good) numbers up.

Bullpen - Wunch. I think today we confirmed that we don't want 'Shooter to be our lefty.

Infield - Jose. He needs to put up the offense numbers he's capaible of, and that D must improve.

Outfield - C. Lee. See also: Infield.

- Pete

Dadawg_77
03-04-2002, 05:47 PM
Kenny Lofton and Ray Ray - They need to set the table for the rest of the team.

Parque, Rauch, Garland, Biddle, and so forth - A couple of these guys need to step up and become soild 3 and 4 guys.

Gascan - The team needs someone to become Foulke's setup man.

FarWestChicago
03-04-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by idseer
defense .... valentin had better improve if he's our 3b!
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Infield - Jose. He needs to put up the offense numbers he's capaible of, and that D must improve.

Outfield - C. Lee. See also: Infield.

- Pete I would just like to note something here. The Friends Of Buddy are always claiming they are harrassed by the Backers Of Manos and that the BOM's always start it. Here, with absolutely no provocation, you can see the FOB's starting it. Thank you. :smile:

Daver
03-04-2002, 06:08 PM

Heather the Redbird

Offense:Frank to return to normal form,it would lift the pressure on Magglio,Konerko and Lee to handle the load.

Defense:Ray Durham,he is in a contract year,and knows that the team has his replacement waiting in the wings,in either Hummel or Harris,the time is now to step up and play the consistent defense that was expected of him since the day he was given the 2B job.

Pitching:Mark Buerhle has to prove that the form he showed last year was not a fluke,if he can stay consistent he could be a twenty game winner with a vastly improved offense behind him,and someone will have to step up and be consistent as the third starter,hopefully Jon Garland does not turn out to be another Kip Wells.

Pete_SSAC
03-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I would just like to note something here. The Friends Of Buddy are always claiming they are harrassed by the Backers Of Manos and that the BOM's always start it. Here, with absolutely no provocation, you can see the FOB's starting it. Thank you. :smile:

Ummm... huh?

See here's the thing, I am by no means a FOB. I think the guy is a Grade A-@$$hole. BUT, it's pretty obvious that Jose "Lead Clove Award Winner" Valentine and Carlos "I can't find the ball when I play at HHH" Lee need to improve their D.

- Pete

Daver
03-04-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC

Ummm... huh?

See here's the thing, I am by no means a FOB. I think the guy is a Grade A-@$$hole. BUT, it's pretty obvious that Jose "Lead Clove Award Winner" Valentine and Carlos "I can't find the ball when I play at HHH" Lee need to improve their D.

- Pete

No one named Valentine plays for the Sox.