PDA

View Full Version : Liriano-HE GONE FOR 2007

palehozenychicty
11-03-2006, 02:37 PM
LINKEE (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6134476)

Not too shocking, but big nonetheless.

PushinWeight
11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Terry Boers jus reported it. I think he needs tommy john surgery. Too bad for them. But I still wouldn't take the twins lightly. The Sox should win the division next year no matter who the twins have though.

peeonwrigley
11-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Sucks as a baseball fan, good as a Sox fan. I hope this guy can get his stuff together, and that he also leaves the AL Central.

kidmccarthy
11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
I hate to say this, because its horrible for the kid, but this could possibly be bigger than any free agent the sox could sign. Now the twins need to fill two pitching spots, there #2, and #3, Liriano and Radke.

Santana
Silva
Bonser
Garza
?????

Sorry, but that is a pretty weak staff. Now if only the indians can stink again, we may be playoff bound once again!!:bandance:

Jerko
11-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Did he even start against us last year????? IIRC the only game he faced the Sox was out of the pen during the first Vaz "meltdown".

oeo
11-03-2006, 02:51 PM
I hate to say this, because its horrible for the kid, but this could possibly be bigger than any free agent the sox could sign. Now the twins need to fill two pitching spots, there #2, and #3, Liriano and Radke.

Santana
Silva
Bonser
Garza
?????

Sorry, but that is a pretty weak staff. Now if only the indians can stink again, we may be playoff bound once again!!:bandance:

As long as we improve the bullpen, and the starting rotation does not underachieve again (I guess you could say the whole team), we will win the division. We have the best team in the division, all we need to do is play like it.

chisoxmike
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Sucks for him, but to be honest, I'm not upset over the news.

SABRSox
Santana
Silva
Bonser
Garza
?????

I heard the same arguments last off-season about the Tigers pitching staff. That's not a bad staff, and it will be made a lot better with the defense Minnesota plays.

Only a fool counts the Twins out.

CLR01
Are the Twins still insisting his elbow is fine and that it is all mental?

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/chisox716/shakehead.gif

chisoxmike
11-03-2006, 02:54 PM

Bingo. The Twins did just fine without him this year.

Jerko
11-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Twins passed us and stayed ahead of us without him last year. Sorry he's gone, but we still have to beat them.

MUsoxfan
11-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they've had enough of Silva. They're looking for alot of pitching up there

jdm2662
I'm pretty sure they've had enough of Silva. They're looking for alot of pitching up there

Enough that they renewed his contract for 2007...

SABRSox

They picked up his option at $4.5 mil. I wouldn't consider that "having had enough of him."

oeo
I heard the same arguments last off-season about the Tigers pitching staff. That's not a bad staff, and it will be made a lot better with the defense Minnesota plays.

When did you ever hear an argument about the Tigers? I didn't hear a damn thing about the Tigers last offseason.

Garza and Bonser will improve, so I think they will have three good starters (one of them a very good one). But Silva sucks, and they still have a wide opening as well.

They also need to hope they're going to get great years out of Punto and Bartlett again. I think you could probably add Cuddyer to that list as well. Cuddyer I can see repeating his season, but Punto/Bartlett were pretty flukey.

The Twins have a lot more question marks than we do.

kidmccarthy
11-03-2006, 02:57 PM
yeah, but he accounted for 12 of their very important wins last season. They won almost every game he pitched. It makes a big difference.

cleanwsox
11-03-2006, 02:58 PM

Yup, I'm sure they have a bunch of new prodigies coming up. Garza should do ok and Bonser was decent down the stretch. Add a veteran to replace Radke and they are basically the same team that tore everybody up in August and September.

MUsoxfan
11-03-2006, 02:59 PM
They picked up his option at $4.5 mil. I wouldn't consider that "having had enough of him."

I admit I'm not totally up to date, but I last heard they were gonna get rid of him as they were unhappy with his spectacular ERA

ma-gaga
11-03-2006, 03:04 PM
I admit I'm not totally up to date, but I last heard they were gonna get rid of him as they were unhappy with his spectacular ERA

They picked up his option earlier this week. There was no thread on WSI when this happened.

I'm sure it's because of how awesome he is. The AL Central goes thru Carlos Silva.

cleanwsox
11-03-2006, 03:07 PM
There was no thread on WSI when this happened.

We were all caught up in the Aaron Rowand "arbitration" situation.

DaleJRFan
11-03-2006, 03:08 PM

Just because they picked up his option doesn't mean they'll keep him. Everything I have read and heard (from Twins fans I works with) is that the Twins plan on trading Silva. A starting pitcher with a 4.5 million salary has more trade value than you think, especially if that starting pitcher is coming from the AL Central, a pretty difficult place to pitch for a low ERA.

Palehose13
11-03-2006, 03:08 PM
This is bad news for the Twins and although it may make it a little easier to win the divison, I still wouldn't count the Twins out. What worries me is that some people are not considering the Tigers at all.

ma-gaga
11-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Actually this news cheers me a bit. I was worried that they'd continually "rehab" the elbow and he'd suffer chronic injuries for the next 4 years. Maybe he still will, but at least this way they can start over and rebuild it. "Stronger than ever".

There are two things that sucks in my mind. The first is that his arbitration clock is ticking. By the time he is back in the league, he'll be arbitration eligible... The second. It seems like the Twins/Liriano could have gotten this diagnosis 2 months ago, or possibly 3. And then he'd be on track for pitching next year after the all-star break. ... :angry:

Either way, this is a major blow, but I'd much rather have this than months of rehab and setbacks.

PKalltheway
11-03-2006, 03:34 PM
What worries me is that some people are not considering the Tigers at all.
Tigers will contend, but I don't think they'll make it back to the playoffs next year. I just don't see them having another 90 win season next year. Plus, the Tigers don't have Johan Santana.:redneck

I want Mags back
11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
OH NO, I AM SO DISAPOITTED

CLR01
11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
OH NO, I AM SO DISAPOITTED

I don't know what that is but keep on rockin'.

soxinem1
11-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Sucks as a baseball fan, good as a Sox fan. I hope this guy can get his stuff together, and that he also leaves the AL Central.

Why should he leave? He will be one of our reclamation projects for 2009!!!

Lip Man 1
11-03-2006, 06:22 PM
As a White Sox fan I'm not shedding any tears over this news, but as a baseball fan you always hate to see talent like that get ruined by injury.

Reminds me of another former Giants hard throwing prospect who had a lot of talent but couldn't stay healthy...Lorenzo Barcelo.

I believe this is the second serious arm injury that Liriano has had.

Smart move now by the Twins to protect themselves by picking up Silva's option. I have to think they had an inkling this was coming.

Lip

JB98
11-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Twins passed us and stayed ahead of us without him last year. Sorry he's gone, but we still have to beat them.

Sort of. Liriano's hot streak played a HUGE role in the Twins digging their way out of the hole they were in after their slow start. After Liriano went down, they were able to sustain that hot streak due to several players having career years offensively.

The Twins are a team we have to reckon with every year, but I do think this loss weakens them significantly. Of course, there is a long offseason ahead and plenty of time for them to make moves to strengthen their rotation.