PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated Cover

mrfourni
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm not going to complain or suggest a media bias, but I did find it interesting that the Cardinals were on the cover of this weeks Sports Illustrated the week before Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are set to square off in a game that ultimately means very little in the grand scheme of the NFL.

I think we should all right letters to SI complaining about it.

itsnotrequired
11-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not going to complain or suggest a media bias, but I did find it interesting that the Cardinals were on the cover of this weeks Sports Illustrated the week before Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are set to square off in a game that ultimately means very little in the grand scheme of the NFL.

Try as I may, I can't figure out what you are trying to say here.

Steelrod
11-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Try as I may, I can't figure out what you are trying to say here.
Probably that we got the upper right hand corner only when we won!

Myrtle72
11-03-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't really get it either. Is this supposed to be about the Sox? :mg:

fquaye149
11-03-2006, 10:38 AM
After we won the WS, we weren't on the cover. Instead it was a preview of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning squaring off in a relatively meaningless matchup.

I don't know. SI is just a shill. We already had our cover the week before. We probably should have had our cover for winning our first WS in 88 years, but whatever. Who cares?

Mr.1Dog
11-03-2006, 10:42 AM
We still got an entire special SI about the Sox winning the World Series. Granted it wasn't the main issue, but it was still on news stands around the city. Was that special issue on stands around the country? You know this one?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1580607209.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SoxFan78
11-03-2006, 11:04 AM
We still got an entire special SI about the Sox winning the World Series. Granted it wasn't the main issue, but it was still on news stands around the city. Was that special issue on stands around the country? You know this one?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1580607209.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That is a special edition, they make that for every champion. What the poster that started this thread is pointing out when they sox won, they got bumped for Brady vs. Manning.

This year, its just the opposite

stl_sox_fan
11-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Yep. I was curious driving home yesterday if the Cards would get the same treatment the Sox got last year. But in my mailbox was Eck all over the cover. I guess SI just didn't want to give the Sox the cover two weeks in a row. I blame Pods for hitting the homerun off of Lidge.

CaptainBallz
11-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I dunno, I hardly consider this to be a "Sox Cover"

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/2005/1031_large.jpg

Not getting the full cover after winning their first title in 88 years IS a snub...

Especially if you look back at 2004 and the covers the Sawx got INTO DECEMBER, it was a bit weak for us...

BanditJimmy
11-03-2006, 12:20 PM
:whocares

We need to stop losing sleep for "lack of coverage."

Hangar18
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM

YUP. The Cardinals, who hadn't won a World Series in 24 years, gets the Full Cover over
The White Sox, who hadn't won a World Series in 88 years. The SOX got a little corner blurb "the white sox win the world series".

What was more important and deserving ? The cover of Larry Bird and Ron Artest NBA Preview Issue. BULL****

CaptainBallz
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
:whocares

We need to stop losing sleep for "lack of coverage."

Considering that it DIRECTLY affects the team that we're all here because we're fans of, everybody should care. I guess some people are fine with the Sox being in their little "mid-size market within a large market" bubble, but things like last years SI snub DO matter. It affects team exposure which affects interest in the team which affects viewership, attendance, and merchandise sales which affects revenue which affects the product that, ultimately, wants to stay a winner.

So yeah, you should care...

Jerko
11-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Considering that it DIRECTLY affects the team that we're all here because we're fans of, everybody should care. I guess some people are fine with the Sox being in their little "mid-size market within a large market" bubble, but things like last years SI snub DO matter. It affects team exposure which affects interest in the team which affects viewership, attendance, and merchandise sales which affects revenue which affects the product that, ultimately, wants to stay a winner.

I thought the green seats did all that..........

MeteorsSox4367
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
And I thought I was just being paranoid. God love the Cardinals for winning the Series, but yeah, where the hell were the Sox last year?

When the Sox win it in '07, maybe they'll get bumped off the cover for T.O. or some other unworthy BS.

BanditJimmy
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM

With no "exposure" as some of you guys beleive we had last year, we drew 3 million fans this year, beat out the flubs in ratings, were picked as the favorites to win the World Series back in Spring Training, had a top 5 payroll in baseball ..... Is still don't see your point.

CLR01
11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
It affects team exposure which affects interest in the team which affects viewership, attendance, and merchandise sales which affects revenue which affects the product that, ultimately, wants to stay a winner.

One Sports Illustrated cover immediately after winning a well publicized event like the world series is going to do little to effect any of that. Anyone who cares enough to look at a Sports Illustrated magazine will already know who won. The newspaper, TV news reports and talk show appearances across the country will all have a much greater effect.

jenn2080
11-03-2006, 01:35 PM

:whocares:

What is the point exactly?

itsnotrequired
11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
And I thought I was just being paranoid. God love the Cardinals for winning the Series, but yeah, where the hell were the Sox last year?

When the Sox win it in '07, maybe they'll get bumped off the cover for T.O. or some other unworthy BS.

I have TO on my fantasy foosball team.

:rolleyes:

Could this thread get any more ridiculous?

Baby Fisk
11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
:whocares:

What is the point exactly?
That despite being media outcasts the White Sox can still win a world championship, which in the grand scheme of things should be what every fans wants and finds fulfilling. However that's still not enough and the inferiority complex lingers on in the psyches of some. Just a guess...

:dunno:

Baby Fisk
11-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Could this thread get any more ridiculous?
Haeger for Eckstein? Worth a try, I think.

itsnotrequired
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Haeger for Eckstein? Worth a try, I think.

If we're playing that game, I might as well throw this out there:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6562/1157775914442aw7xt0.jpg

CaptainBallz
11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
With no "exposure" as some of you guys beleive we had last year, we drew 3 million fans this year, beat out the flubs in ratings, were picked as the favorites to win the World Series back in Spring Training, had a top 5 payroll in baseball ..... Is still don't see your point.

One Sports Illustrated cover immediately after winning a well publicized event like the world series is going to do little to effect any of that.Anyone who cares enough to look at a Sports Illustrated magazine will already know who won. The newspaper, TV news reports and talk show appearances across the country will all have a much greater effect.

All of those things add up. It's foolish to take one instance and say "who cares" or "it doesn't matter because '06 was great attention-wise". Is it just some strange coincidence that the teams that get the whirlwind media coverage on a consistent basis seem to generate more layman interest and, in the end, revenue?

There is a direct correlation between media coverage and team's ability to generate the revenue to field consistently good teams. If there wasn't, the Sox wouldn't have a marketing department. There's no shame in pointing out a snub when you see one. Last year's SI was a snub. End of story...

Baby Fisk
11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
All of those things add up. It's foolish to take one instance and say "who cares" or "it doesn't matter because '06 was great attention-wise". Is it just some strange coincidence that the teams that get the whirlwind media coverage on a consistent basis seem to generate more layman interest and, in the end, revenue?

There is a direct correlation between media coverage and team's ability to generate the revenue to field consistently good teams. If there wasn't, the Sox wouldn't have a marketing department. There's no shame in pointing out a snub when you see one. Last year's SI was a snub. End of story...
But consider this: the Chicago Cubs are the most media saturated team in the history of human sport. How many world championships has that earned them in the past, say, 98 years? Getting your picture on a magazine cover doesn't win you anything but publicity. Publicity does not win championships. It's just a magazine cover.

CaptainBallz
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
But consider this: the Chicago Cubs are the most media saturated team in the history of human sport. How many world championships has that earned them in the past, say, 98 years? Getting your picture on a magazine cover doesn't win you anything but publicity. Publicity does not win championships. It's just a magazine cover.

The Sox are a better organization than the Cubs--- I trust them 110% more with the extra advertising/merchandising revenue to do something.

I know that it's hard to find the fault in the media scheme since 2005, but I can basically guarantee that if the Sox don't stay vigilant in this area, the exposure will go right back to pre-05 levels. Some are fine with that, I think it's weak sauce..

goon
11-03-2006, 02:47 PM
while i don't think it had any real effect on the exposure of the white sox organization, it's not out of line to say that not getting on the cover of SI after winning the world series was a big time snub. i hardly care, SI for the most part sucks, but you can't deny we got the cold shoulder.

mrfourni
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I didn't really mean to start a pissing match. In the end, I really don't care. I've got my season tickets, and got to see my team win a world series. I get all the coverage of the White Sox I need on this website.

I guess I just found it to be a weird coincidence, thats all.

BanditJimmy
11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
It's no big deal IMO. As a Sox fans I have learned to care less of what the "National" media thinks about us. It is what it is and we can cry about it forever and it will never change.

What makes me happy is what takes place between the lines. And we got the best of it in 2005 by winning the big prize.

Domeshot17
11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Lets pick something better to argue about. We are always bitching about something. We get no media love but we draw a shade under 3 million. Then we complain about all of the new bandwagon fans, and how we cant get tickets anymore, about how Sox Fest is over packed and you cant get tickets there.

HERE IS MY THOUGHT. BIG FREAKING DEAL. IF YOU DIDNT KNOW THE WHITE SOX WON THE WORLD SERIES, DO WE REALLY WANT YOU AS A FAN AT OUR STADIUM, POSTER ON OUR BOARDS THE YEAR AFTER???

Here is the cold hard facts that as much as you wish them to change wont:

The White Sox play in an up and coming area, it used to be kind of rough. The cross town rivals play in a yuppy neighborhood with good bars and scenery. Bridgeport 10 years ago used to be a "ok kids lock your doors until we get to the park" neighborhood. Its not anymore. The Sox also get covered by the owners of their rival team. They will never get a fair media shake in their own city, so why would they get it nationally? The bottom line is, the things we pride ourselves as sox fans on, being more knowledgable, being more dedicated, being loyal but still caring about the product put on the field and refusing to overpay or settle for crap, would not be that way if we moved into the level of a cubs, yankees, red sox. I am perfectly fine having 2.95 million loyal and smart fans, having a team that gets handed nothing and earns everything it gets, knowing Jermaine Dye in 2 years has done more for a city then Sammy Sosa ever did, because thats how my team is.

Part of coming with that is not caring when Sports Illustrated screws us, because im smart enough to not subscribe to sub par sports magazines.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I know it shouldn't bother me but it still does piss me off. I can not recall any team being left off the cover except for the White Sox.

A friend in the media and I were talking about this, this afternoon and he brought up an interesting point. He felt the reason the Sox were left off was because the Series ended on a Wednesday and by the time the print edition came out it would be 'old' news the following Thursday. (Since SI hits the streets on Thursday and it would have been impossible to get the shot of them winning on the cover until the following week)

I agreed that was a valid point but also challenged him by asking if the Sox were the only series to 'end' on a Wednesday.

Without going through all the records to find end dates, I seriously doubt this is the case. If in fact I'm right, it makes my friend's contention less valid since they would have done it for the other series that ended on a Wednesday.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
11-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Wasn't being featured on the Sports Illustrated cover long rumored to be the kiss of death anyway? :dunno: