PDA

View Full Version : Sox Eyeing Gary Matthews Jr.

BRDSR
11-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Tribune reported in todays edition that Gary Matthews Jr. might be interested in coming to the White Sox.

Actually, only Matthews' agent was quoted saying in part "who wouldn't want to play there." Neither Matthews or any White Sox official is quoted on the subject.

Personally, I think Matthews would be an excellent fit and I would be willing to pay him 7-8 million per year assuming the starting pitching staff gets a little cheaper over the offseason. Matthews would solve the leadoff problem as well as the giving us an unbelievable defensive outfield, probably with BA moving to left field.

I don't know what would be done with Pods. I wouldn't mind keeping him on the team as a fourth outfielder/pinch runner, but he may still have trade value as part of a deal for a middle reliever. I'd be happy with either outcome.

chisoxmike
11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
The Sox for some reason think he's Babe Ruth with they way they pitched to him this season.

I say pass.

BanditJimmy
11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
An OF him Matthews, Anderson, & Dye would be the best defensive in baseball IMO.

But I don't know if I would give him $7million per season. One year of solid numbers does not do it for me.

MadetoOrta
11-02-2006, 04:18 PM
An OF him Matthews, Anderson, & Dye would be the best defensive in baseball IMO.

But I don't know if I would give him $7million per season. One year of solid numbers does not do it for me.

Amen. Put up solid numbers for years and THEN gimme a call. I hate guys who seem to "turn it up a notch" at contract time. What happens after they get paid? Ask Tyson Chandler.

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Let's see...a pretty mediocre career with one breakout year that just happens to coincide with becoming a FA. Sounds a lot like this guy. Pass.

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_134181.jpg

sox1970
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm not interested in Matthews. If the Blue Jays are shopping Vernon Wells, I'd rather see Sox make a big splash with a trade or stay young with Anderson and Sweeney.

maurice
11-02-2006, 04:32 PM
The title should be "Gary Matthews Jr.'s agent eyeing Sox."
He wants as many offers as possible to drive up the price.

I doubt it will happen. Matthews probably will be overppaid,
and KW likes to "buy low."

WizardsofOzzie
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Anyone ever notice that all these threads that say "Sox seeking to trade for whoever, and Sox aim to sign so and so" all begin with the following line

"Tribune reported in todays edition"
Doesn't that automatically discredit it? :?:

Huisj
11-02-2006, 04:38 PM
32 years old and his career numbers are .263/.336/.419

Yes he had a big year last year. It was also in a very hitter friendly park, one that he's played in two previous years without hitting at nearly that lever while playing almost every day. Yes, he's a good glove. But still, is he worth $7 million?

FWIW, ESPN just said the Angels are going after him.

Huisj
11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
The title should be "Gary Matthews Jr.'s agent eyeing Sox."
He wants as many offers as possible to drive up the price.

I doubt it will happen. Matthews probably will be overppaid,
and KW likes to "buy low."

That brings up an interesting point. When have you ever heard of an agent saying something to the effect of "everyone wants to play for the White Sox"?!?!?

interesting

Ol' No. 2
11-02-2006, 04:41 PM
That brings up an interesting point. When have you ever heard of an agent saying something to the effect of "everyone wants to play for the White Sox"?!?!?

interestingHe obviously meant to say that everyone wants to play for the CUBS...so they can finally bring a World Series to Chicago.:rolleyes:

SOXSINCE'70
11-02-2006, 06:12 PM
everyone wants to play for the CUBS...so they can finally bring a World Series to Chicago.:rolleyes:

AMEN,sadly.
To quote The Four Tops,circa 1966,
"Shake Me,Wake Me When It's Over".:rolleyes:

CLR01
11-02-2006, 09:56 PM
The Sox for some reason think he's Babe Ruth with they way they pitched to him this season.

I say pass.

But did you see that catch he made? Have you ever seen anyone rob a HR before him? He's is definitely worth a try.

:puking:

buehrle4cy05
11-02-2006, 10:56 PM
All spectacular catches aside, he's a good defensive centerfielder. However, he has been playing CF, and I wouldn't be comfortable moving BA from center to left...even moving Matthews to left wouldn't make me feel good. I'd rather sign a good defensive LF than a good defensive CF and move him to left.

Daver
11-02-2006, 11:18 PM
All spectacular catches aside, he's a good defensive centerfielder. However, he has been playing CF, and I wouldn't be comfortable moving BA from center to left...even moving Matthews to left wouldn't make me feel good. I'd rather sign a good defensive LF than a good defensive CF and move him to left.

:?:

An outfielder that can play center can easily play left field, do you have left field confused with right field?

buehrle4cy05
11-02-2006, 11:22 PM
:?:

An outfielder that can play center can easily play left field, do you have left field confused with right field?

Does it have something to do with reads? I never played OF, I just thought switching positions would mean learning new reads.

I'm probably wrong, just let me know.:cool:

Daver
11-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Does it have something to do with reads? I never played OF, I just thought switching positions would mean learning new reads.

I'm probably wrong, just let me know.:cool:

You're wrong.

Any outfielder can play left, but to play right you have to have a good arm, and the sense to know what base to throw to, the same goes for center. In left, you are ahead of the runner, so you have to know what base the runner is on.

buehrle4cy05
11-02-2006, 11:57 PM
You're wrong.

Any outfielder can play left, but to play right you have to have a good arm, and the sense to know what base to throw to, the same goes for center. In left, you are ahead of the runner, so you have to know what base the runner is on.

Ok, that makes sense. I learned something today. Thanks!:smile:

jabrch
11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
I'd rather sign a good defensive LF than a good defensive CF and move him to left.

A good defensive LF is a relative term. LFs with strong arms play RF. LFs with lots of range and the ability to read a ball off the bat play CF. LF is where bad OFs go. Why do you think MLB only has 3 OF GGs? Who the hell wants to know who the best LF is? That's like the tallest midget in the midget colony.

Anyone who can play RF or CF decently can play LF very well.

thomas35forever
11-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Ok, that makes sense. I learned something today. Thanks!:smile:
So did I. I'll remember that from now on.

As for the topic, I'd like to see Matthews in a Sox uniform next season.

KRS1
11-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Did my eyes deceive me? Someone suggesting he's worth 7 mil? What a joke. Whoever signs him will be paying for the exception year of his otherwise very average, if not below mediocre as well as inconsistent, career. Sorry Ill pass, Id rather have Roberts over him, and I dont want Roberts as a starter either. Id rather have Sweeney over all of the above in terms of signing older, second tier players. Id rather worry about getting someone at SS, than filling up a spot, where we at least have some talented young guys capable of playing, with career year contract players. Im sorry if my priorities are different, but filling LF is about the last thing on my list of wants, unless it involves us adding a game changer there(that includes a quality leadoff bat).

jenn2080
11-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Hmm....hold on let me think.....ya no thanks. NEXT :booty: :talktothehand: One good catch and now he is Johnny bad ass. BLEH!

Steelrod
11-03-2006, 08:41 AM
Did my eyes deceive me? Someone suggesting he's worth 7 mil? What a joke. Whoever signs him will be paying for the exception year of his otherwise very average, if not below mediocre as well as inconsistent, career. Sorry Ill pass, Id rather have Roberts over him, and I dont want Roberts as a starter either. Id rather have Sweeney over all of the above in terms of signing older, second tier players. Id rather worry about getting someone at SS, than filling up a spot, where we at least have some talented young guys capable of playing, with career year contract players. Im sorry if my priorities are different, but filling LF is about the last thing on my list of wants, unless it involves us adding a game changer there(that includes a quality leadoff bat).
Kinda reminds me of Todd Hundley..
One good year followed by a big money long term contract, followed by poor numbers! Look out KW!