PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Harrelson up for Frick Award

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061030&content_id=1727820&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Any comments?

soltrain21
11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
He has no business winning, and I enjoy him most of the time.

jabrch
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
That would be truly priceless - in a funny sort of way. Hawk entertains me, but he's not a great broadcaster.

Cuck_The_Fubs
11-01-2006, 05:13 PM

That would be truly priceless - in a funny sort of way. Hawk entertains me, but he's not a great broadcaster.

I'm with both of you. :cool: But man, on a humid, summer day, there is nothing like Hawks complaints about the strikezone, "You can put it on the boardsss....", and a nice tall glass of lemonade. Just cant beat it:smile: .

SABRSox
11-01-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80725

Timmy D's
11-01-2006, 06:24 PM
I love Frick awards.

buehrle4cy05
11-01-2006, 06:47 PM
I think this summarizes the honor of being nominated:

White Sox voice Farmer also in running for broadcasting honor

:?:

jortafan
11-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I don't know what is more disgusting, the notion that Ron Santo is also up for this honor for his broadcasting career, or that this story claimed Santo as a person with White Sox ties.

Personally, I prefer to forget that Santo was ever affiliated with the White Sox. I consider it to be our team's moment of shame.

RadioheadRocks
11-01-2006, 07:44 PM

Awwww, let him win the Fricken' Award! :D:

Madvora
11-02-2006, 07:29 AM
I don't know what is more disgusting, the notion that Ron Santo is also up for this honor for his broadcasting career, or that this story claimed Santo as a person with White Sox ties.

Personally, I prefer to forget that Santo was ever affiliated with the White Sox. I consider it to be our team's moment of shame.
Yeah what the hell kind of award is this?
"Excellence in broadcasting" featuring Ron Santo and Ed Farmer as nominees...?
What the hell!?

Railsplitter
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah what the hell kind of award is this?
"Excellence in broadcasting" featuring Ron Santo and Ed Farmer as nominees...?
What the hell!?

Just goes to show you the current state of Broadcasting.

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Anybody who wants a "smooth professional" to broadcast Sox games needs to move on.Hawk isn't and never will be but he's at least somewhat entertaining.This is the Sox remember ? i go back far enough to remember
the Harry & Jimmy show and while nobody ever accused them of being elite baseball announcers they were as entertaining as h---.The things they said
made us laugh out loud but more importantly they said it like they knew WE were thinking the same way.

LuvSox
11-03-2006, 02:21 PM
The things they said
made us laugh out loud but more importantly they said it like they knew WE were thinking the same way.

That might go for Harry and Jimmy, but it sure as hell doesn't go for Hawk. "Get on back there"? I don't think that way.

He'd sound good doing some AA radio in the South.

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-03-2006, 02:57 PM
"Get your a-- on back there" is probably more along the lines of what we are thinking but Hawk's passion for our Sox always comes out in one form or another.Would you rather have somebody along the likes of Chip Caray or Thom Brennaman,or Len Kaspar doing the games ? Those goofs sound the same like they all went to the same broadcasting school.Yuck.

PKalltheway
11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
The Hawk is awesome! It would be nice to see him in the Hall!

Oh yeah, Oldschoolsoxguy, when you're typing a cuss word, don't edit it out yourself. Just type the word and let the filter do its work.

Nelson Foxtrot
11-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I like this fan voting. MLB puts together a huge list of names, so everybody will be familiar with at least a few names on the list and likely see their personal favorite. However, the panel of "experts" chooses seven nominees in addition to the top three finishers. So the fans get involved and have some power, yet the experts get to decide, so we don't see any crazy award winners.

I like Hawk, but he's not a great broadcaster. I give him credit for having fun with what he does and being a player who does play-by-play (not horribly common in any sport), but my choice is Ty Tyson, with Graham McNamee and Vince Lloyd rounding out my top three. Who did everybody else vote for?