PDA

View Full Version : B Mac for Carl Crawford?

Whitesox4ever
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
From today's daily herald

“I see all the rumors about our pitching,’’ Guillen said. “Everybody wants our pitching staff. In the meanwhile, we’re going to take another shot. We think we can do this. Right now, (general manager) Kenny (Williams), myself, and everybody in the organization, we’re looking for pitching.’’

Actually, the White Sox are looking for relief pitching. But if they’d be willing to part with McCarthy, they might be able to pry away left fielder Carl Crawford from the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

The Sox weren’t happy with Scott Podsednik’s offensive game this season — or his defensive game, for that matter.

Crawford would cost a lot in a trade, but the 25-year-old leadoff man is one of the best all-around players in the game. In 2006, Crawford batted .305 and had 18 home runs, 77 RBI and 58 stolen bases.
Devil Rays GM Andrew Friedman has said it would take a standout young starter such as McCarthy to get Crawford.

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-01-2006, 04:54 PM
How's about Vazquez and Uribe instead ? dunno if Rays would go for that but it would be my original offer.

Whitesox4ever
11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
How's about Vazquez and Uribe instead ? dunno if Rays would go for that but it would be my original offer.

Rays don't need Uribe they have Upton at SS..

buehrle4cy05
11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
There's no way Tampa Bay would take McCarthy straight up for Crawford. The Sox would probably have to add in Broadway and Fields/Sweeney, plus another mid-level prospect just to merit consideration from Tampa Bay.

If Ervin Santana and Erik Aybar didn't get Crawford from Tampa Bay, then it's likely that nothing short of the whole farm will get the Sox Crawford.

Whitesox4ever
11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
What about Cotts and Broadway for Crawford

CHISOXFAN13
11-01-2006, 05:03 PM

Please stop. That's just silly.

samram
11-01-2006, 05:04 PM

How drunk would KW have to get Tampa's GM for him to go for that?

Chisox003
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
How drunk does whitesox4ever have to be to keep suggesting ridiculous trades every time he posts?

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Vazquez & Broadway or Broadway & Pods.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Please stop. That's just silly.It's going to be a looooooong time until spring training starts.

Whitesox4ever
11-01-2006, 05:19 PM

Lets see a reliever who had only good season and unproven talent for an all star for many years to come...

samram
11-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Lets see a reliever who had only good season and unproven talent for an all star for many years to come...

Oh, I love it for the Sox, but my guess is that Tampa's GM values his employment to some extent.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh, I love it for the Sox, but my guess is that Tampa's GM values his employment to some extent.Now, if Ross Gload was included....:cool:

cburns
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
It's going to be a looooooong time until spring training starts.

You said it. However, a deal like McCarthy + prospects would be pretty fair to both teams.

mjmcend
11-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Do you think other teams GM's don't watch our games or look at our players stats when they looking for people to trade. I assume you picked Vazquez and Pods because you think they aren't very good. Wouldn't it stand to reason that someone who's job it is to know baseball would also realize that they are not very good?

Huisj
11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
What Crawford's contract like? Why on earth would TB part with him? If they want to build, isn't he the kind of guy to keep as a centerpiece of that process? Sure he's worth a lot in a trade, but that also means he's worth a lot to that organization and on the field. He's practically their only recognizable player.

I guess I just don't buy all the "so and so for Carl Crawford" rumors because I can't see TB trading him for anything that another team would be willing to give up.

CHISOXFAN13
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM

LOL. You and Whitesox4ever should join a fantasy league together. At least you'd have someone to trade with.

Ol' No. 2
11-01-2006, 05:33 PM
You said it. However, a deal like McCarthy + prospects would be pretty fair to both teams.But I don't think you can look at it simply in those terms. If they trade McCarthy, then two of their current starters would be FA after 2007 and Vazquez would be arbitration-eligible and could not receive less than $10M. McCarthy is the key to payroll flexibility. Without him, then even if Broadway makes the rotation in 2008, they still need to get another starter. If they trade Garcia or Buehrle and put McCarthy into the rotation, then Broadway could potentially fill the other spot in 2008 and they're set for a while longer.

If there's one thing Kenny hates is to have to go to the FA market for starting pitching. Given what teams have been paying for mediocre starters, I can't blame him. As much as Kenny would like Carl Crawford, I don't think McCarthy is going anywhere.

socko82
11-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Rays don't need Uribe they have Upton at SS..

I agree that they won't want Uribe but not because they have Upton to play short. I've read that Upton's defense is so bad at both short and third that the Rays are considering moving him to the left field. That's why they are listening to offers for Crawford for pitching.

thomas35forever
11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Crawford is to the D-Rays as Sweeney is to the Royals. Crawford isn't going anywhere unless Tampa gets like five top prospects for him. He's too much of an asking price.

Oldschoolsoxguy
11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
For MJM & CHISOX13-Do i think Vazquez is any good ? he's ok and that's all he'll ever be.He is what he is and that's a .500 pitcher.Do i know for a fact what Tampa thinks of him ? of course not,but for THEM on that team,he's probably the #2 guy in THEIR ROTATION.And maybe the Rays would see that as well if they don't get scared off by his contract.After all,they are the Rays remember ? So maybe, just maybe
they would look at it as getting a front end of the rotation guy,and a cheaper decent replacement(Pods) for Crawford.As for Broadway,he is thought of as a rising(and cheap) prospect no ?---i am thinking more on the lines of Tampa seeing Crawford's value skyrocket to the point where they feel that they need to unload him for whatever they can get,while they can get it before he has a chance to walk on his own.I could be wrong,and it surely wouldn't be the first time.Of course we ALL want to see the Sox come out on the front end of any deal,but i haven't seen anyone yet suggest that we not give up quality in some form.Vazquez,Uribe,Pods,
and Broadway are the names that i have suggested.There is some quality there,there's no dog dump among the bunch.How high that quality level is
remains subjective...

cburns
11-01-2006, 06:13 PM
As much as Kenny would like Carl Crawford, I don't think McCarthy is going anywhere.

Then what do you think we should do with LF? I love Pods, but he shouldn't be on the team next year unless he wants to take Ozuna's place.

chisoxmike
11-01-2006, 06:22 PM
:rolleyes:

I think you are doing this on purpose now.

buehrle4cy05
11-01-2006, 06:51 PM
I've read that Upton's defense is so bad at both short and third that the Rays are considering moving him to the left field. That's why they are listening to offers for Crawford for pitching.

His fielding is so bad that they might have him DH. They can't trust him at SS or 3B right now and putting him in the outfield would be even more of an adventure. He has a tremendous amount of talent, but nobody ever taught him how to field.

infohawk
11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
If the Sox trade a starter, I want young pitching back in return. Preferably a young starter or two with serious upside. There may be other models out there, but I liked the trade that the A's made using Mark Mulder a couple of years ago. They sent Mulder to the Cards for Danny Haren and Kiko Colero. That was a pretty good trade for the A's. I really believe that the key to sustained success is to keep churning out decent young starters. With good pitching, a team can piece together a decent starting line-up around their core position player talent and find success. I get nervous when I hear talk or rumors about trading a pitcher for a position player. I think that would be a big mistake, unless the Sox are prepared to become big wheeler-dealers on the free agent market for pitchers. I think Billy Beane has this one right. It's better to trade an older starting pitcher a year to early than a year to late when looking to get a decent haul of young pitching to replace the older starter.

kittle42
11-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Trade idea threads: dropped on heads as children OR teenagers whose ideas of how to be a GM came from making trades in EA Sports games?

Brian26
11-01-2006, 08:14 PM
Trade idea threads: dropped on heads as children OR teenagers whose ideas of how to be a GM came from making trades in EA Sports games?

Never question the power of Kenny Williams. This is the man who stole Bartolo Colon for Rocky Biddle, Antonio Osuna, Jeff Leifer, and a year's supply of Turtle Wax.

Domeshot17
11-01-2006, 08:15 PM
you know, Im a firm hater of the ignore button. I think people abuse the hell out of it on this site, and use it whenever they read something they dont agree with, however, the limits are being pushed hardcore right now, there may be a numero uno soon.

Then maybe ill get super trendy and ignore 130 more people, then put it in my sig, because I am that awesome

ondafarm
11-01-2006, 08:30 PM
How about it?

No way.

Iguana775
11-01-2006, 09:12 PM
kazmir and Crawford for Mac and Pods

samram
11-01-2006, 09:24 PM
kazmir and Crawford for Mac and Pods

Man, KW's gonna have some sort of bar tab at the GM meetings. I really don't know how much trade value Pods has.

AZChiSoxFan
11-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Man, KW's gonna have some sort of bar tab at the GM meetings. I really don't know how much trade value Pods has.

How about Pods for the proverbial bag o' balls?

getonbckthr
11-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Buerhle and McCarthy for Crawford. Am I little crazy for giving up both sure but if our prospects are as ready as we think then why not, even look in FA for a starter if we must or use Sweeney or Anderson plus Fields to get one in a trade. Why would TBay do it, cause they get 2 young pitchers to go with Kazmir and could be a young dominant force in the aging east.

WizardsofOzzie
11-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Do you really read the **** you post? We could have possibly used this :tealtutor:

WizardsofOzzie
11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
you know, Im a firm hater of the ignore button. I think people abuse the hell out of it on this site, and use it whenever they read something they dont agree with, however, the limits are being pushed hardcore right now, there may be a numero uno soon.

Then maybe ill get super trendy and ignore 130 more people, then put it in my sig, because I am that awesome
Im with you man. Im not a fan of the ignore feature, because debate is fun but it seems every time this guy posts he has next to nothing smart to say. Just because it worked in your season on MVP 06 does not mean it will work in life!!!!!

kittle42
11-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Buerhle and McCarthy for Crawford. Am I little crazy for giving up both sure but if our prospects are as ready as we think then why not

Just when you thought this thread couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Can't wait for discussion around winter meetings time.

MrX
11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
For MJM & CHISOX13-Do i think Vazquez is any good ? he's ok and that's all he'll ever be.He is what he is and that's a .500 pitcher.Do i know for a fact what Tampa thinks of him ? of course not,but for THEM on that team,he's probably the #2 guy in THEIR ROTATION.And maybe the Rays would see that as well if they don't get scared off by his contract.After all,they are the Rays remember ? So maybe, just maybe
they would look at it as getting a front end of the rotation guy,and a cheaper decent replacement(Pods) for Crawford.As for Broadway,he is thought of as a rising(and cheap) prospect no ?---i am thinking more on the lines of Tampa seeing Crawford's value skyrocket to the point where they feel that they need to unload him for whatever they can get,while they can get it before he has a chance to walk on his own.I could be wrong,and it surely wouldn't be the first time.Of course we ALL want to see the Sox come out on the front end of any deal,but i haven't seen anyone yet suggest that we not give up quality in some form.Vazquez,Uribe,Pods,
and Broadway are the names that i have suggested.There is some quality there,there's no dog dump among the bunch.How high that quality level is
remains subjective...
:?:

spiffie
11-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I think Billy Beane has this one right.
That's never the right answer on WSI. It doesn't matter what the text before or after that statement is, you are already wrong. :wink:

Whitesox4ever
11-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Do you really read the **** you post? We could have possibly used this :tealtutor:
It was a joke dude take it easy.. Don't be so dam serious

jenn2080
11-02-2006, 07:27 AM
It's going to be a looooooong time until spring training starts.

117 I think to be exact. :D: Come on Feb!:bandance:

fusillirob1983
11-02-2006, 08:48 AM

That's why the teal rule was made, to figure out who's making jokes and who has no idea what they're talking about.

palehozenychicty
11-02-2006, 09:03 AM
That's why the teal rule was made, to figure out who's making jokes and who has no idea what they're talking about.

Bingo!

BanditJimmy
11-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Unless Haeger & Broadway are considered ML ready by next season, I don't see how the Sox would trade away McCarthy in any deal. There is no way to keep $50+ million invested in the rotation every year.

Now, Fields + Sweeney + Boadway for Crawford..... then I'm listening if I'm Kenny Williams. (Assuming Crede can be signed on a long term deal w/ a good back)

kittle42
11-02-2006, 09:22 AM

Like the Hoover Dam?

MadetoOrta
11-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Why in the ____ would anyone suggest Fields and Sweeney being traded? Here's why they're not [and this will hurt some feelings]: 1) Joe Crede has a bad BACK - not the kind of injury that a MLB team is going to ignore when deciding whether to extend out 3 years @$5-10 million per year; 2) Jermine Dye [I love JD] will break the bank if he posts stats next year that are in the neighborhood of his '06 stats. At his age, the Sox may not be able to keep him. As a result, Sweeney's going nowhere.

Here's a question for the '08 Sox: would you rather have Ryan Sweeney in RF and Johan Santana in the rotation or JD in rightfield and Broadway in the rotation?

Fields and Sweeney aren't going anywhere. I hope

WizardsofOzzie
11-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Like the Hoover Dam?
:b&b
Heeheheheh....He said dam

BanditJimmy
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Why in the ____ would anyone suggest Fields and Sweeney being traded? Here's why they're not [and this will hurt some feelings]: 1) Joe Crede has a bad BACK - not the kind of injury that a MLB team is going to ignore when deciding whether to extend out 3 years @$5-10 million per year; 2) Jermine Dye [I love JD] will break the bank if he posts stats next year that are in the neighborhood of his '06 stats. At his age, the Sox may not be able to keep him. As a result, Sweeney's going nowhere.

Here's a question for the '08 Sox: would you rather have Ryan Sweeney in RF and Johan Santana in the rotation or JD in rightfield and Broadway in the rotation?

Fields and Sweeney aren't going anywhere. I hope

1.I mentioned that you only move Fields if the team can figure out Crede's back and sign him to a long term deal.

2."Johan Santana in the rotation"

Wake me up when Jerry Reinsdorf pays $15-$17 million per year on a starting pitcher......that's what someone (Yankees) will end up paying for him (he will be the best Free Agent pitcher to ever hit the market ...EVER).

3. Replacing Corner OFs who hit for power is not that hard to do. So to say that you have to hold back a non-proven prospect like Sweeney just becuase of the fear of Dye walking .... that's insane IMO. Last time I checked, didn't Dye (at a cheap price) replace Ordonez in RF when Ordonez became too expensive and a high risk to keep? The same can be done if Dye walks. There will be a cheap corner OF out there for the Sox to pick up who can hit 25+ HRS and drive in 80+ RBIs.

Bottom line here is that 5 tool players like Crawford are hard to get these days. IF Kenny can make it work, you have to go for it. Especially if you can get it down with out giving up McCarthy (Sweeney+ Fields + Broadway).

MadetoOrta
11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
BanditJimmy:

I too want Carl Crawford - going on a year and a half now. He's a star in the making at an incredible price. I just don't see the Sox parting with Fields and Sweeney. KW sees them as long-term All-Stars and fan favorites. [Heck, they've got Fields learning the outfield in Venezuela for heaven's sake] Re Santana: He's the only pitcher in baseball I'd consider giving $15 million for. He's carried the Twinkies for years. With the Sox, he'd win 15-20+ per year. Over a five year contract, we'd make the playoffs 3 times minimum. The contract would pay for itself.

MTO

SOXSINCE'70
11-02-2006, 05:16 PM

Please stop. That's just silly.

It's beyond ridiculous,if there is such a thing.