PDA

View Full Version : question for Brewers fans...

AZChiSoxFan
11-01-2006, 08:20 AM
What do you think of play-by-play guy Daron Sutton? I'm curious because the D-backs just announced that they have hired him away from the Brew Crew. BTW, he's the son of former pitcher Don Sutton.

brewcrew/chisox
11-01-2006, 08:38 AM
I liked him. Calls a good, clean game. The problem with that duo last year was Bill Schroeder IMO. There is a "Farwell" Brewerfan.net thread on this as well. http://p092.ezboard.com/fbrewersfandemoniumfrm3.showMessage?topicID=13251. topic This might give you a more thorough description.

LongLiveFisk
11-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Not to get off-topic but while we're talking about the Brewers, I was hearing a rumor they might return to the AL. Would Brewers fans like it if that were to happen?

thegooch
11-01-2006, 10:44 AM
we need to play the brewers again every year. back in the Brewers AL days those series' were fun. I would think MLB would want this to be a rivalry too.

FedEx227
11-01-2006, 10:49 AM
we need to play the brewers again every year. back in the Brewers AL days those series' were fun. I would think MLB would want this to be a rivalry too.

Makes great business sense. I would love going up to Milwaukee for an entire series.

Palehose13
11-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Not to get off-topic but while we're talking about the Brewers, I was hearing a rumor they might return to the AL. Would Brewers fans like it if that were to happen?

What I gather is that the Brewer fans like being in the NL, but they HATE cub fans. If they had to have one of the fans of a Chicago baseball team invade Miller Park they would much rather have us.

hi im skot
11-01-2006, 11:30 AM

Where did you hear this rumor? I might consider sticking around in Milwaukee if this were to happen...or I could just move to Chicago as planned.
:smile:

thegooch
11-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Makes great business sense. I would love going up to Milwaukee for an entire series.

I know. Me too. And I know this will probably sound like blasphemy to many peeps, but I'd rather only play 3 games a year against the scrubs. Then play the other 3 against the brew crew. Im surprised Selig doesn't see the need for this series.

ewokpelts
11-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Sutton's good. The Brewers are my NL team, so I watch them on Extra Innings. I'm actually suprised he's going. Seemed to bleed Beer Gold to me(lived in the area a long time as a kid, old man was a brewers, ect). I guess Az. Offered more money. And who wouldnt pass up the chance to work with Gracie?

Hangar18
11-01-2006, 12:50 PM

According to Bud Selig & The League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentleman, there was no such thing as a Midwest-Brewers/Sox rivalry. Its a figment of our imagination. It was only when the Brewers moved to the NL Central did the Chicago Milwaukee rivalry happen ........................

thegooch
11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
According to Bud Selig & The League of Extraordinarily Dumb Gentleman, there was no such thing as a Midwest-Brewers/Sox rivalry. Its a figment of our imagination. It was only when the Brewers moved to the NL Central did the Chicago Milwaukee rivalry happen ........................

i was young when they were still in the AL, but I remember all kinds of people loading into buses to go up to milwaukee to see the sox. Can't belive we don't play them EVERY year. It would be more fun going to Milwaukee than going to the urinal every year.

Hangar18
11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
i was young when they were still in the AL, but I remember all kinds of people loading into buses to go up to milwaukee to see the sox. Can't belive we don't play them EVERY year. It would be more fun going to Milwaukee than going to the urinal every year.

I was a kid, but I remember how packed the parks would be when both teams visited each other. Bud Selig apparently wasnt paying attention.

Cant tell you how STEAMED I was, to hear Selig sprain his arm patting himself on the back the first time that other team Visited Milwaukee for the first FOX Saturday game, and him waxing poetic about how its great that a Rivalry between Chicago & Milwaukee was now born, and that Milwaukee was always a National League town anyway, and the Milwaukee fans hated the DH and had no natural-rivals and preferred NL Baseball more.

Imagine again how steamed I was, to hear later, a few Brewer "fans" regurgitate to me that Milwaukee was always a NL town, they had no real rivalries in the AL, how they hated the DH, and liked NL style baseball more anyway ......
........What a bunch of BS

thegooch
11-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Cant tell you how STEAMED I was, to hear Selig sprain his arm patting himself on the back the first time that other team Visited Milwaukee for the first FOX Saturday game, and him waxing poetic about how its great that a Rivalry between Chicago & Milwaukee was now born, and that Milwaukee was always a National League town anyway, and the Milwaukee fans hated the DH and had no natural-rivals and preferred NL Baseball more.

Imagine again how steamed I was, to hear later, a few Brewer "fans" regurgitate to me that Milwaukee was always a NL town, they had no real rivalries in the AL, how they hated the DH, and liked NL style baseball more anyway ......
........What a bunch of BS

i feel your pain. Selig is a schmuck. he gives used-car-salesmen a bad name.

ewokpelts
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
I was a kid, but I remember how packed the parks would be when both teams visited each other. Bud Selig apparently wasnt paying attention.

........What a bunch of BSselig didnt put the brewers in the al west(and later the central) if the brew crew was in the al west back the day, there would have been more sellouts at county

LongLiveFisk
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Where did you hear this rumor? I might consider sticking around in Milwaukee if this were to happen...or I could just move to Chicago as planned.
:smile:

I've heard it on sports talk radio in the past whenever they'd mention certain teams possibly folding...I took it to mean the AL & NL would be unbalanced and 1 NL team would have to go to the AL. If this were true, the Brewers would make the most sense, given they were already in the AL before.

Brewski
11-01-2006, 01:40 PM
What I gather is that the Brewer fans like being in the NL, but they HATE cub fans. If they had to have one of the fans of a Chicago baseball team invade Miller Park they would much rather have us.

This is correct. Brewers fans still want to live in the era of NL Braves greatness, before the owners, who remain far greater schmucks than Bud, took the team far away, never to return.

Hangar18
11-01-2006, 01:45 PM
This is correct. Brewers fans still want to live in the era of NL Braves greatness, before the owners, who remain far greater schmucks than Bud, took the team far away, never to return.

If you go outside Miller Park, there is a statue and display dedicated to all of the Milwaukee Brave greats of the past. There is a fan club in Milwaukee dedicated to preserving the history of the Milwaukee Braves. During the final season in County, all of the soda cups had navy blue & red Milwaukee Braves logos on them. Someone needs to tell them that team is lonnnnnnnnng gone, but doing quite well for themselves ...........IN ATLANTA

ewokpelts
11-01-2006, 01:51 PM
This is correct. Brewers fans still want to live in the era of NL Braves greatness, before the owners, who remain far greater schmucks than Bud, took the team far away, never to return.a chicago based owner, by the way.....
the miller family almost bought the team in the early 60's but ran into estate tax issues when old man miller died....

PKalltheway
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
If you go outside Miller Park, there is a statue and display dedicated to all of the Milwaukee Brave greats of the past. There is a fan club in Milwaukee dedicated to preserving the history of the Milwaukee Braves. During the final season in County, all of the soda cups had navy blue & red Milwaukee Braves logos on them. Someone needs to tell them that team is lonnnnnnnnng gone, but doing quite well for themselves ...........IN ATLANTA
You gotta remember that people get all wax nostalgic about 1950's and 1960's baseball, and that's when the Braves were in Milwaukee. The Brewers haven't won a World Series. The Braves have in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Braves had Warren Spahn, Hank Aaron, and Eddie Mathews. The Milwaukee Braves won the city's only baseball championship in 1957, and it helps to beat the hated Yankees too in that series. The Braves had a successful run in Milwaukee, and the people there will never forget that. The Milwaukee Braves went to more World Series in 12 years there than the Brewers have in 36 years there.

In fact, the Braves were so good there that they almost made it to back-to-back-to-back World Series, 1959 being the year they were denied by Dodgers in a three game playoff. They also finished behind the Dodgers in 1956 by one game. People don't forget that stuff.

slavko
11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
a chicago based owner, by the way.....
the miller family almost bought the team in the early 60's but ran into estate tax issues when old man miller died....

And those would be the same estate tax issues the Wrigley family was having when it sold to the current owners. See, rich folks do have it tough.

TheKittle
11-01-2006, 06:19 PM
You gotta remember that people get all wax nostalgic about 1950's and 1960's baseball, and that's when the Braves were in Milwaukee. The Brewers haven't won a World Series. The Braves have in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Braves had Warren Spahn, Hank Aaron, and Eddie Mathews. The Milwaukee Braves won the city's only baseball championship in 1957, and it helps to beat the hated Yankees too in that series. The Braves had a successful run in Milwaukee, and the people there will never forget that. The Milwaukee Braves went to more World Series in 12 years there than the Brewers have in 36 years there.

In fact, the Braves were so good there that they almost made it to back-to-back-to-back World Series, 1959 being the year they were denied by Dodgers in a three game playoff. They also finished behind the Dodgers in 1956 by one game. People don't forget that stuff.

And it's clear some people don't know about that stuff or else they wouldn't post some of the crap that's been posted.

brewcrew/chisox
11-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Personally I would HATE it if the Brewers moved back to the American league. For one, I LIKE being both a Sox fan and a Brewer fan. That would be difficult if the Brewers moved to say the American league Central. Heck, I know the attitude here would be much different toward the Brewers and Brewer fans....and rightly so BTW. The Brewers would once again be a rival of the Sox.

Two, I like hating the Cubs...I like that the fanbase for both teams hate the Cubs.

Don't kill my good time.:D:

PKalltheway
11-01-2006, 10:03 PM
And it's clear some people don't know about that stuff or else they wouldn't post some of the crap that's been posted.
Exactly. I know some people already know this, but the Brewers were originally the Seattle Pilots, an AL expansion team in 1969. The NL already had two brand-new expansion teams of their own, the Expos, and the Padres. The Pilots packed up and moved to Milwaukee in 1970, and they stayed in the AL to keep things balanced out (the AL also had Kansas City as an expansion team). I'm sure Bud Selig wanted the Brewers to be in the NL, and fans probably wanted them to be in the NL, but like I said, they had to keep things balanced out. I'll bet the old-school Milwaukee baseball fans were estatic when they heard the Brewers were moving to NL in 1998. They didn't anticipate how bad the Cub invasion was going to be, though!:redneck Like Palehose 13 said, their fans like their team being in the NL, but they hate Cub fans.

Hangar18
11-03-2006, 11:52 AM

I understand that ..... and all of the waxing and wailing, and hand-wringing by Milwaukee fans would be fine .............. IF THERE WAS NO MLB TEAM IN MILWAUKEE.

But there is.

The Brewers. For Brewer fans to constantly harp on the Braves being gone ........ is ridiculous. They are NOT gone, they are in Atlanta. They can still cheer for that team. Or cheer for the Milwaukee team, the Brewers. The way they intermingle their history is a bit over-the-top.