PDA

View Full Version : Sox Withdrawal

Myrtle72
10-31-2006, 08:43 PM
What do you all do to cope with the fact that we are without the Sox for 5-6 months?

Off-season sucks.

(the Bears help a lot, but it's not the same!)

jamokes
10-31-2006, 08:57 PM
Wait for Spring Training and read the news.

oeo
10-31-2006, 08:58 PM
I think about how disappointing 2006 was, and how I don't want that to happen again. So I'm more anxious to see what kind of moves Kenny makes before I'll be ready for the season to start.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2006, 09:48 PM
I watch and listen to my numerous game tapes and audio highlights dating back to the early 50's.

Lip

23Ventura
10-31-2006, 10:02 PM
The Bears are 7-0, the Bulls won their season opener 108-66 on the road against the defending champions.

I should be fine untill Spring Training

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-31-2006, 10:09 PM
The Bulls and Bears are holding me over until ST.

buehrle4cy05
10-31-2006, 11:06 PM
The Bulls and Bears are holding me over until ST.

Same here, except I'll watch my World Series DVDs once in a while to get some actual baseball action in there.

I wish some network was showing the barnstorming tour of Japan...that would be a lot of fun.

likeawarlord
11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
the general concensus is that baseball does as good a job as any sport at keeping itself relevant during the off season. the rumor mill and the winter meetings keep me interested, then before long it's soxfest and i can start a countdown to spring training. the bears and bulls, yeah, that's cool too, but wouldn't you rather listen to runaway carl crawford speculation?

Chips
11-01-2006, 10:29 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4980&d=1162398527

Baby Fisk
11-01-2006, 11:21 AM
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/psycheg/Doctor%20Who%20images/doctor-who-logo-small.jpg.

stl_sox_fan
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Da http://www.seatseek.com/images/chicago_bears_logo_175.jpg 's and Da http://www.buckleshop.com/2203e_small.jpg's

Foulke You
11-01-2006, 12:37 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4980&d=1162398527

I know I'm probably in the minority here but...the NFL?:rolleyes: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...snort....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (I've just never got into the game of football.)

I'm a hockey fan when it isn't baseball season...I've already accepted the fact that the Blackhawks are going to be terrible as long as Wirtz owns the team. Truly a shame how that franchise has fallen. The Chicago Wolves of the AHL keep me entertained until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training.

MeteorsSox4367
11-01-2006, 12:47 PM
My four favorite steps for combating Sox withdrawal in the winter:

1. College hoops (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!)
2. Hockey - pro and college
3. College football
4. NFL

By the time late February rolls around not only is NCAA Tournament talk one of the primary topics, but also four of the greatest words in the English language: Pitchers and catchers report.

slavko
11-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Does anyone still use the expression "Hot Stove League" for what baseball fans do in the winter?

Yes, Bulls and Bears will try to fill the void, but nothing they do can get me as excited as watching Bobby Jenks come this close to blowing a save in that meaningless final series against the Twins.

chisoxmike
11-01-2006, 06:25 PM
What do you all do to cope with the fact that we are without the Sox for 5-6 months?

Off-season sucks.

For me, I get my sports fix with the Bulls (still not the same) and 24 begins in January.

whitesoxwilkes
11-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Bears football, Illini basketball and Syracuse basketball.

There's some kind of weird blue/orange thing going on here.

Chips
11-02-2006, 09:28 AM
Bears football, Illini basketball and Syracuse basketball.

There's some kind of weird blue/orange thing going on here.

On days where I get really frustrated not having Sox baseball, I usually dig up my DVD of Game 6 of the 1999 Stanley Cup and watch Brett Hull score the Stanley Cup Winning Goal.

I can let you borrow it.

:)

southwstchi4life
11-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Id say college football is my best way. Wisconsin BAdger Football to be specific. Bearz also help, like many have said its just not the same. Nothing like baseball season.

tony1972
11-02-2006, 12:22 PM

Off-season sucks.

Browse WSI of course !!:cool:

BigPapaPump
11-02-2006, 05:08 PM
I can't wait, cause next season I will be a father and get to share the Sox experience with my little boy. I've already bought a ton of stuff on MLB.com for him.

soxchick20
11-02-2006, 07:18 PM
I can't wait, cause next season I will be a father and get to share the Sox experience with my little boy. I've already bought a ton of stuff on MLB.com for him.

Awe, Congrats to you.

To answer the question of what I do,

Bears, Bulls, World Series Dvds, and catch up on all my t.v. shows. TIVO is the best.!

Jurr
11-03-2006, 07:58 AM
I just get caught up in work and going to Grizzlies games.

I don't know about everybody else, but last season to me was very weird because I didn't have that desperation of "We're close to a playoff berth and if we don't get in, it's another year that I don't get to live the dream of rooting the Sox on to a WS win"

I felt pretty content all year. Now that the Sox didn't make the postseason, I've got that little rumbling in the gut again. It's time for the Sox to get back to the show. I'm jazzed.

Myrtle72
11-03-2006, 09:38 AM

Awwwwh! That's so sweet! Congrats! :D:

LongLiveFisk
11-04-2006, 08:38 AM
The Bears and the WSI Parking Lot do it for me. (I know there will be a lot of interesting topics coming up in the next few weeks! :wink: )

chisoxfanatic
11-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Three words: Blackhawks, Bears, and Bulls. The Blackhawks are actually my favorite sports team, so I go through hockey withdrawl worse than any.

I have high hopes for '07 and know that our Palehose are going back to the playoffs (and Minnesota should be banned from the playoffs since all they do is suck away their opportunities).

TornLabrum
11-04-2006, 11:25 AM
[quote=chisoxfanatic;1402469 The Blackhawks are actually my favorite sports team,,,[/quote]

You poor thing....

As for me, well let's see...

1) The WCSF executive board has one meeting a month.

2) WCSF is also in the middle of our raffle that includes a trip to spring training, autographed jerseys of Dye, Konerko, Thome, and Ozzie along with other stuff. (If interested in purchasing tickets at a dollar apiece or six for five dollars, contact me by PM.)

3) WCSF has our holiday party, featuring former Sox as guests on Dec. 3.

3) SoxFest in January!

4) And of course we're in the Season of Christmas according to my calendar (see "Fallen Arches") so I'm in the holiday spirit between now and pitchers and catchers reporting.

5) Then there's the thought of what KW might do to bolster the team for next year...

Hangar18
11-07-2006, 10:05 AM
What do I do for withdrawal? Open up a bottle of wine, grab my World Series Trophy, and pop in one of the WS Dvd's and watch the whole game.
Just me and the Trophy. Fun times :cool:

TDog
11-08-2006, 02:06 PM
The offseason is my productive time. I get things done because I don't have to worry about sports at all. From April until the often-bitter end, I must know what the Sox are doing. If the Sox don't play, I have to know what their competition is doing. Even when I'm out of the country, I need a couple of minutes on the Internet every day. Last summer I got up early in the morning to hit the WSI chat room from Norway.

There are two seasons, baseball season and off season. In November through March I wouldn't have reason to watch television -- even if I owned one.