PDA

View Full Version : Trib Sportswriters Rips Cubs...

areilly
10-31-2006, 01:13 PM
...in a non-Trib paper.

Paul Sullivan goes off in today's Post-Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/8F9DA1368E6D5DD5862572180016EB05?OpenDocument). Pretty good stuff.

palehozenychicty
10-31-2006, 01:26 PM
:redneck Well, at least he knows the truth.

ajismyhero
10-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Sheesh, that article was pretty harsh.

Iwritecode
10-31-2006, 01:46 PM
There are some great quotes in there.

Most Cubs fans live in a perpetual state of denial, refusing to pay attention to historical trends, such as a 98-year championship drought and empirical data that proves once and for all the Cubs will never win a World Series championship in their lifetime.

But don't feel sorry for Cubs fans. They'll rebound after another long, hard Chicago winter, and by mid-February they'll have convinced themselves that 2007 is "the year."

Denial is what they do best. It's genetic.

:)

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2006, 01:46 PM

Bigtime harsh. Methinks Paul probably has some 'splainin' to do inside the Ivory Tower on Michigan.

Hitmen77
10-31-2006, 01:50 PM
If he really wanted to tell the truth, then he'd say that Cub fans should start becoming fans of the game and not just fans of Wrigley's popularity. They should care more about winning and less about attendance. And maybe, just mayyyyybbbeeee, they should send the Tribune Co. a message by staying home instead of showing up and then throwing garbage on the field when the Cubs do what they always do.

CaptainBallz
10-31-2006, 02:08 PM
So does this mean that they might not be "The Greatest Fans in the World"? So blind faith really isn't part of that equation? Wow, you learn something new everyday from these guys...

gobears1987
10-31-2006, 02:18 PM
From the Cubs beat writer!!!!!

Surprised no one pointed that one out.

russ99
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM

Maybe he's trying to get fired, like that George Costanza - Yankees episode in Seinfeld.

cheeses_h_rice
10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
From the Cubs beat writer!!!!!

Surprised no one pointed that one out.

Uh...I'm pretty sure everyone knows Paul Sullivan is the Cubs' beat reporter.

:?:

DumpJerry
10-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Glad to see Hangar18 finally got that re-write job at the Tribune Company.

gobears1987
10-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Uh...I'm pretty sure everyone knows Paul Sullivan is the Cubs' beat reporter.

:?:We do have out of town Sox fans here who probably don't check the Cubs headlines in the Cubune.

vegyrex
10-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Glad to see Hangar18 finally got that re-write job at the Tribune Company.

LOL!! :D:

vegyrex
10-31-2006, 02:36 PM
We do have out of town Sox fans here who probably don't check the Cubs headlines in the Cubune.

But they wouldn't need to check the Cubune. It gets mentioned here regularly. :cool:

jenn2080
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Ouch. There are some great one liners in here.

Realist
10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh, those poor sons of bitches (http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=36299) :D:

DumpJerry
10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Oh, those poor sons of bitches (http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=36299) :D:
Great reading!

MarySwiss
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks, Realist! I needed a good laugh! :D:

CaptainBallz
10-31-2006, 03:42 PM

ha

And the Bears will somehow screw this up too. Count on it

I now have complete confidence that the Bears will do just fine.

The work will be complete when the Cubs are completely alone on their island of ineptitude.

maurice
10-31-2006, 03:47 PM
Sully must think that he's free of his Lord-and-Master MacPhail.

I'm sure the current Trib execs will put him back in his place...again.

QCIASOXFAN
10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
We do have out of town Sox fans here who probably don't check the Cubs headlines in the Cubune.
I don't get to read the Cubune or have any clue who Paul Sullivan is.:dunno: I do like the article though.:redneck

Baby Fisk
10-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Of all those posters, sadly only one of them has a clue:

This isn't the "worst time ever" because the Cards might win the Series....it's because THE CUBS ARE A JOKE!!!!

Far too much misdirected anger by Cubs fans.

gobears1987
10-31-2006, 04:00 PM
How long until Sully loses his job now?

palehozenychicty
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM
ha

I now have complete confidence that the Bears will do just fine.

The work will be complete when the Cubs are completely alone on their island of ineptitude.

That day will be coming quite soon, my friend.

1951Campbell
10-31-2006, 04:10 PM
If he really wanted to tell the truth, then he'd say that Cub fans should start becoming fans of the game and not just fans of Wrigley's popularity. They should care more about winning and less about attendance. And maybe, just mayyyyybbbeeee, they should send the Tribune Co. a message by staying home instead of showing up and then throwing garbage on the field when the Cubs do what they always do.

Not mentioning all that makes the article have a worse bark than bite.

A little false courage by Mr. Sullivan, methinks.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Oh, those poor sons of bitches (http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=36299) :D:The fact that they have an admin with the handle "1908" tells me all I need to know about that forum...

southside rocks
10-31-2006, 04:42 PM
The fact that they have an admin with the handle "1908" tells me all I need to know about that forum...

Yep. Gems like this abound:

Because no matter how bad the Cubs are, being a white trash Sox fan is always worse.

Ooooohhh, somebody's cranky. :redneck You'd think they'd be a little more excited about their 100-year anniversary that's fast approaching!

CLR01
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Yep. Gems like this abound:

Because no matter how bad the Cubs are, being a white trash Sox fan is always worse.

Ooooohhh, somebody's cranky. :redneck You'd think they'd be a little more excited about their 100-year anniversary that's fast approaching!

And you would think considering their 100 year anniversary that is approaching Sox fans wouldn't spend their life worrying about what Cub fans are thinking/doing.

Blue??? :dunno:

WizardsofOzzie
10-31-2006, 04:54 PM
I really enjoyed this little tidbit out of someone's sig

Piniella IS better than the previous fella.
With Lou, we're due.
With Piniella we'll winella
In Lou we're. . . WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

So incredibly sad....maybe Sox fans need a slogan
In Ozzie.........we win, you idiots!!

thedudeabides
10-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Maybe he's trying to get fired, like that George Costanza - Yankees episode in Seinfeld.

Body suit man!!!!

vegyrex
10-31-2006, 05:55 PM

Hehehehe, I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost. :D:

I wonder what they'll feel like if the Cubbies finish in last place again:cool:

slavko
10-31-2006, 07:51 PM
How long until Sully loses his job now?

Does this tell us anything we didn't know about the degree of control the Trib maintains on what it prints? Sully covered the Sox '01-'02 and the theory of some is that he was banished for 2 years for being too critical of the Cubs in print. The same thing might happen again, if the article is any indication of what he really thinks.

Lip Man 1
10-31-2006, 10:51 PM
Having spoken to Sully and interviewed him for the web site I can only relay what he's told me. He grew up a Sox fan, was in the park for Andy Hawkins lost no hitter in 1990 and requested being shifted off the Sox beat because he absolutely, positively, couldn't stand nor get along with the buffoon Terry Bevington.

Lip

Hitmen77
11-01-2006, 11:12 AM

Wow. Still alot of deep bitterness there for the Sox winning it all last year. Gee, I thought it was only Sox fans that hated the Cubs, but Cub fans don't hate the Sox. Nothing like a nice Sox championship to expose that as a total lie. As far as I'm concerned the Cub fan base in general is getting what they deserve for being so full of themselves over the years.

One person over there seems to get it though:

What I want to know is why fans of every team in the NL Central have this bitter hate for us for some reason.

1. Lots of Cubs fans go to their parks and act like a-holes.

2. Unbearable smugness during the pre-injury Wood/ Prior era, when we all thought the Cubs would dominate the division for the rest of the decade.

vegyrex
11-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I wonder if Sullivan has been "re-educated" yet?:tongue:

munchman33
11-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Wow. Still alot of deep bitterness there for the Sox winning it all last year. Gee, I thought it was only Sox fans that hated the Cubs, but Cub fans don't hate the Sox. Nothing like a nice Sox championship to expose that as a total lie. As far as I'm concerned the Cub fan base in general is getting what they deserve for being so full of themselves over the years.

One person over there seems to get it though:

There is no way that person is really a Cubs fan. They just aren't that smart.

Hitmen77
11-04-2006, 01:06 AM
I wonder if Sullivan has been "re-educated" yet?:tongue:

They're busy re-educating Downey now. They'll get to Sully next.

TDog
11-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I have no problem with people simply being Cubs fans and don't believe they are stupid because they are following a losing team that may never win another World Series. I was a huge White Sox fan when I questioned whether they would ever again make it to the World Series. The Sox remained the only team I cared about when they traded Aparicio, cut Fisk, let Ventura go and told Thomas he wasn't wanted. Now they are contenders without the pressure of having to break a championship drought. This is my time, regardless of the jealous Cubs fans who can only dream of the heights the Sox have reached.

My problem is with Cubs fans thinking they are superior, asserting the Cubs are a better team than the Sox and Sox fans are a lower class of people. There have been some years I have been a Sox fan when the Cubs were actually a better team, and I considered that irrelevant to my allegiance. Now, of course, Cubs fans are making asses of themselves when they insist the Sox stink, or express cruder varieties of the sentiment.

People around the country are slowly getting wise to the Cubbie myth, created in 1984 when they became the second baseball franchise from Chicago to draw 2 million fans. They were the loveable class of the league until a lost October weekend in San Diego. They came back as a force in 1985 only to become losers, but still loveable. With sporadic winning seasons over the next two decades they have gained the reputation as loveable losers and sentmental favorites when emerging as Cinderellas. People will still pick the Cubs next spring to go to the World Series, but they will number fewer, and that red C on fans' blue caps will get less respect in public.

If you're happy with your lot as a Cubs fan, leave me alone. If you're not don't take it out on me.

palehozenychicty
11-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I have no problem with people simply being Cubs fans and don't believe they are stupid because they are following a losing team that may never win another World Series. I was a huge White Sox fan when I questioned whether they would ever again make it to the World Series. The Sox remained the only team I cared about when they traded Aparicio, cut Fisk, let Ventura go and told Thomas he wasn't wanted. Now they are contenders without the pressure of having to break a championship drought. This is my time, regardless of the jealous Cubs fans who can only dream of the heights the Sox have reached.

My problem is with Cubs fans thinking they are superior, asserting the Cubs are a better team than the Sox because they have more casual fans of a stadium and Sox fans are a lower class of people.

Check the bold.