PDA

View Full Version : Can Buehrle repeat?


MattSharp
03-04-2002, 10:18 AM
I think this is the biggest question of the year. Bottom line is, if he can't be the ace and no one steps up immediately this team is in seriously trouble. He has pitched on full season, and hasn't proven himself to me just yet. Regardless of which, if the Sox want to win the division he MUST pitch as well as advertised.

cheeses_h_rice
03-04-2002, 10:24 AM
Call me a pessimist, call me a realist, but I think Buehrle will fall back this year and have a slightly better than mediocre season, a decent year by all accounts. Somewhere around a 4.10 ERA and about 13-10 record. Just a gut feeling on my part...

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Call me a pessimist, call me a realist, but I think Buehrle will fall back this year and have a slightly better than mediocre season, a decent year by all accounts. Somewhere around a 4.10 ERA and about 13-10 record. Just a gut feeling on my part...

Where do you have the Sox, then? As my sig shows, I think Minnesota will win the Central. Way to many pitching questions for the Sox.

Randar68
03-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Where do you have the Sox, then? As my sig shows, I think Minnesota will win the Central. Way to many pitching questions for the Sox.


Then put me on the record:

1) Sox win the Central
2) Jon Rauch wins 10 or more games.

cheeses_h_rice
03-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Where do you have the Sox, then? As my sig shows, I think Minnesota will win the Central. Way to many pitching questions for the Sox.

I can't reconcile my prediction with the Sox winning the Central by winning about 92 games with my bad feeling about their pitching this year, Jerry. It's weird. Maybe they'll repeat 2000 with an offensive juggernaut and just-OK pitching?

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Then put me on the record:

1) Sox win the Central
2) Jon Rauch wins 10 or more games.

I would love to see it, I'll put you on record.

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I can't reconcile my prediction with the Sox winning the Central by winning about 92 games with my bad feeling about their pitching this year, Jerry. It's weird. Maybe they'll repeat 2000 with an offensive juggernaut and just-OK pitching?

I think for the Sox to win the Central, they have to get 2000 like offense. The key to 2000 was the starting staff got off to a fast start. Baldwin won his first 7 or 8 and Eldred got off to a good start as well.

Buehrle and Ritchie have to get off to good starts or it won't be pretty.

Soxboyrob
03-04-2002, 11:16 AM
I just can't see any reason to expect Buehrle to decline or have a disappointing season in '02. His abilities are legitimate. He's not a trick pitcher. He didn't get by on luck in '01. He was also quite effective in '00, save for a few rough outings. Things to be positive about....

Buehrle has very pinpoint control, which gives him a distinct advantage over the hitters. He is a guy that actually throws Ball One on purpose because he knows he has the control to overcome any disadvantage that might accompany a 1-0 count w/ a lesser pitcher. He throws it out of the zone just to see if a hitter will fish for it. Mark throws 3 or 4 pitches for strikes and seems willing to use any of them on any count. To me, the biggest key to Mark's success is his ability to shut down any and all running games. Nobody can steal on the guy and he picks runners off at will. At one point last season, about midway to 2/3 of the way through the season, I heard a stat that said he had picked off more guys than the number of stolen bases he'd given up. Do you realize how big a deal that is? He changes speeds well and moves the ball all over the zone. No reason to expect a serious letdown. To me, a Buehrle letdown would be 15-12 and a 3.75 ERA, but if his ERA is 3.75, he'll win 17-22 games w/ our hitting.

guillen4life13
03-04-2002, 12:38 PM
only one way to find out what's gonna happen. He did pretty well in that ST game on saturday, right? The runs given up were unearned, i think. I think that if anything he will improve even more, and at least win 18 games. I don't think 20 is out of the question.

HawkDJ
03-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
I just can't see any reason to expect Buehrle to decline or have a disappointing season in '02. His abilities are legitimate. He's not a trick pitcher. He didn't get by on luck in '01. He was also quite effective in '00, save for a few rough outings. Things to be positive about....

Buehrle has very pinpoint control, which gives him a distinct advantage over the hitters. He is a guy that actually throws Ball One on purpose because he knows he has the control to overcome any disadvantage that might accompany a 1-0 count w/ a lesser pitcher. He throws it out of the zone just to see if a hitter will fish for it. Mark throws 3 or 4 pitches for strikes and seems willing to use any of them on any count. To me, the biggest key to Mark's success is his ability to shut down any and all running games. Nobody can steal on the guy and he picks runners off at will. At one point last season, about midway to 2/3 of the way through the season, I heard a stat that said he had picked off more guys than the number of stolen bases he'd given up. Do you realize how big a deal that is? He changes speeds well and moves the ball all over the zone. No reason to expect a serious letdown. To me, a Buehrle letdown would be 15-12 and a 3.75 ERA, but if his ERA is 3.75, he'll win 17-22 games w/ our hitting.

Soxboyrob makes a bunch of good points so I'm just going to say I agree with him 100%. I know alot of young pitchers who decline after their first good year but those guys have horrible control, Buehrle is the opposite. I don't know if he will have quite as good of a year as last year but I expect him to have a very good one, and he is only improving.

It seems there are lot of pessimist Sox fans here. Twins winning the central, Buehrle doing bad. I guess thats fine if thats the way you want to be but this is Spring Training and it is the time for all baseball fans to believe their team can do good. This is not the time when you give up on your team without them even playing a single game. So they have some pitching questions, have hope people. And get over it, the Sox have a good team.

FarWestChicago
03-04-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
It seems there are lot of pessimist Sox fans here. Twins winning the central, Buehrle doing bad.Not really. Jerry just posts a lot. :smile:

idseer
03-04-2002, 12:56 PM
add me to the list of expecting very good things from buehrle.
everything points to him being in control on the mound.
and he's smart! smart enough to want to pitch for la russa!
that's proof enough for me. :)

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Not really. Jerry just posts a lot. :smile:

Very cute, West. (Jerry, gongs West)

I've got 86 years on my side. :(:

bc2k
03-05-2002, 01:43 AM
Man, I am just happy to have Buehrle on the team. Looking long-term I don't expect him to be the ace. Rauch is a stud. Wright is a top prospect. Biddle, Garland, Glover, Malone, the quality pitchers are endless. I can picture Buehrle a number 2 guy in 2003/04 if Rauch becomes what he is predicted to. A 23 year-old lefty who made a run at the era title? Man, that is impressive and I'm just excited to see these young guys pitch. I choose what games to attend at Comiskey based on these exciting young pitchers as opposed to what team the sox are playing. F the yankees, I want to see the Buehrle's and Rauch's work a game. I'm sorry if I seem like a sox fan on prozac but quality young pitchers more than any other positional prospects get me pumped up. -Go Sox

foulkesfan11
03-05-2002, 08:34 AM
I don't know if Buerhle will be as good as he was last year. There's a lot of pressure on him, but I think he'll do ok.