PDA

View Full Version : Another Key Cub Files for FA & Sox Are Not Happy

WhiteSoxFan84
10-31-2006, 04:34 AM
The corner infield positions are not looking so bright for the Northsiders anymore. First, Derek Lee went down last year with a wrist injury that many fear will haunt him for the rest of his career. And now their slugging third baseman, Aramis Ramirez, has filed for free agency according to ESPNews.

This wasn't a huge surprise as many saw this coming after his strong finish to the 2006 season. The front-runners for Ramirez will be the Los Angeles Angels, Dodgers, Boston Red Sox, and the Cubs who likely try to sway him back. A darkhorse in this race will be the Detroit Tigers who really started questioning their current hot corner man, Brandon Inge, after the World Series.

Why are the White Sox not happy? Well, Kenny Williams may not be happy but that doesn't mean Sox fans won't be happy as this move makes Joe Crede's value a little lower than what it was just hours ago. Ramirez will arguably be the more desirable of the two.

I honestly think he will sign with either the Angels or Tigers.

jamokes
10-31-2006, 05:40 AM
The cub will re-sign him, they have to, otherwise they have nothing.

getonbckthr
10-31-2006, 06:32 AM
I pray the Yankees sign him then it won't cost us Crede or Fields for Arod.

DumpJerry
10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Why are the White Sox not happy? Well, Kenny Williams may not be happy but that doesn't mean Sox fans won't be happy as this move makes Joe Crede's value a little lower than what it was just hours ago. Ramirez will arguably be the more desirable of the two.
I'm presuming that you're assuming KW is unhappy since you don't cite any source(s). Error-or-miss can sign with only one team, so that leaves 28 teams KW can talk with about trading Crede, if he is so inclined.

Error-or-miss could sign with a team who is looking to build around and they have nothing to offer the Sox.

Steelrod
10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Another Key Cub Files for FA & Sox Are Not Happy

Key to what?
The worst record in the NL?

EastCoastSoxFan
10-31-2006, 10:24 AM
The cub will re-sign him, they have to, otherwise they have nothing.When has that ever been a significant factor in the Cubs' thought process?
Sorry, the door was open and I just had to go there...
:D:

palehozenychicty
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
When has that ever been a significant factor in the Cubs' thought process?
Sorry, the door was open and I just had to go there...
:D:

They are in trouble. Ramirez will go to the Angels, most likely. Phillies also need a third baseman.

Jjav829
10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
The corner infield positions are not looking so bright for the Northsiders anymore. First, Derek Lee went down last year with a wrist injury that many fear will haunt him for the rest of his career. And now their slugging third baseman, Aramis Ramirez, has filed for free agency according to ESPNews.

This wasn't a huge surprise as many saw this coming after his strong finish to the 2006 season. The front-runners for Ramirez will be the Los Angeles Angels, Dodgers, Boston Red Sox, and the Cubs who likely try to sway him back. A darkhorse in this race will be the Detroit Tigers who really started questioning their current hot corner man, Brandon Inge, after the World Series.

I honestly think he will sign with either the Angels or Tigers.

I don't see how it dramatically decreases Crede's value. Only one team will sign Ramirez. And I think KW would probably prefer to trade Crede (if KW decides to trade Crede, which I'm not sure he will) to an NL team, so if mostly AL teams are interested, that probably won't change KW's options much.

I hope the Tigers sign Ramirez. I'd take Inge on my team over Ramirez 10 out of 10 times.

southside rocks
10-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Inge vs. Ramirez? Boy, the Tigers would have to be really stupid, IMO, to do that switch.

Inge tightened up and made errors because he was trying too hard. Ramirez doesn't even try. I'd rather see a player wound too tight than a player who dogs it.

SoxSpeed22
10-31-2006, 12:48 PM
Arte Moreno should have that checkbook ready in LA by now.

WizardsofOzzie
10-31-2006, 12:50 PM
I pray the Yankees sign him then it won't cost us Crede or Fields for Arod.
:tealpolice:

10-31-2006, 01:07 PM
He turned down 33.5 mil, he's gone....His #'s are padded, he hit a ton when it didn't count, his inability to take over when Lee went down really hurt the Cubs he's not all sane in the membrane

goon
10-31-2006, 02:03 PM
He turned down 33.5 mil, he's gone....His #'s are padded, he hit a ton when it didn't count, his inability to take over when Lee went down really hurt the Cubsm he's not all sane in the membrane

word. that guy is so ****ing overrated, it's disgusting.

CLR01
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Why would this make KW unhappy?

SABRSox
10-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Arte Moreno should have that checkbook ready in LA by now.

Yeah, he just needs to cross out "Paul Konerko" and write "Aramis Ramirez" in its place.

gobears1987
10-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Why would we even consider trading Crede? If you must trade one, trade Fields.

DumpJerry
10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Why would we even consider trading Crede? If you must trade one, trade Fields.
Say what??????? Who has two herniated discs in his back? Who is younger? Who has Borass in his corner? Who has higher trade value?

Don't get me wrong-I think Crede is Gold Glove/MVP material, but Fields is more long-term right now. Also, we can get higher quality for Crede.

russ99
10-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Other than his potential back problems, how is Crede not better than Ramirez?

Their numbers are close, but Ramirez is a lazy player and Crede's nothing but solid, especially on defense. Maybe I'll get to see another ball bounce off Aramis' head this year...

goon
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
Say what??????? Who has two herniated discs in his back? Who is younger? Who has Borass in his corner? Who has higher trade value?

Don't get me wrong-I think Crede is Gold Glove/MVP material, but Fields is more long-term right now. Also, we can get higher quality for Crede.

well, crede is only four years older than josh and he isn't proven in the majors, while crede has had two great years. i like fields, but it doesn't seem like he is ready for the majors yet, unfortuantely.

spiffie
10-31-2006, 03:12 PM
Other than his potential back problems, how is Crede not better than Ramirez?

Their numbers are close, but Ramirez is a lazy player and Crede's nothing but solid, especially on defense. Maybe I'll get to see another ball bounce off Aramis' head this year...
Their numbers are close only if you assume that Crede is going to perform at 2006 level for the rest of his career. If he has any sort of regression to the last few years then the gap is quite large between them.

goon
10-31-2006, 05:04 PM
Their numbers are close only if you assume that Crede is going to perform at 2006 level for the rest of his career. If he has any sort of regression to the last few years then the gap is quite large between them.

...offensively. ramirez couldn't hold crede's jock strap defensively. oh wait i forgot, defense doesn't matter.

spiffie
10-31-2006, 05:36 PM
...offensively. ramirez couldn't hold crede's jock strap defensively. oh wait i forgot, defense doesn't matter.
Of course defense matters. That's why I didn't challenge the idea that their numbers are similar when Ramirez, in a slightly below-average year for him had an OPS nearly 100 points higher than Crede in Joe's career year. I consider Joe's glove skills to be worth that sort of disparity. However, when the gap gets into the 150 to 200 points or more level, I have trouble accepting that the defense is able to make up for that. But then considering that some people here would rather have Juan Uribe than Alex Rodriguez, obviously this is not at all a unanimous sort of outlook.

CLR01
10-31-2006, 05:40 PM
in a slightly below-average year

Below what average?

spiffie
10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Below what average?
Poorly phrased on my part. Below his last couple of seasons. His career OPS is only 825.

Dan the Man
10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
They are in trouble. Ramirez will go to the Angels, most likely. Phillies also need a third baseman.

How about Fields for Rowand?

StillMissOzzie
11-01-2006, 01:42 AM
He turned down 33.5 mil, he's gone....His #'s are padded, he hit a ton when it didn't count, his inability to take over when Lee went down really hurt the Cubs he's not all sane in the membrane

Aramis sucked when it mattered, early in the 2006 campaign. He racked up most of his big numbers in garbage time. Can you say anti-clutch?

According to B & B, Aramis is the quintessential no-hustle bum, who doesn't run out grounders and stretches doubles into singles. I haven't seen enough ScRub games, so I can't confirm, but you'd think that a reputation like that would get around MLB. Has the market gone up that much in the last year where a bum like Aramis is worth $2-3M more than a Konerko?

SMO
:gulp:

ewokpelts
11-01-2006, 06:15 AM
sox arent getting pay-rod....aramis WONT be a yankmee, and crede will be gone by the trade deadline

PatK
11-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Inge tightened up and made errors because he was trying too hard. .

Inge made nearly twice as many errors as Aramis during the regular season.