PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting through the off season

Oblong
10-30-2006, 09:53 PM
How do you get through the baseball off season? I'm not much of a football fan and while I am a hockey fan I can't get that worked up over regular season games since pretty much every team makes it. Same with basketball.

The first thing I do is read Ball Four. I started last night and I'm about 1/3 the way into it. That book never get old.

"Pound that budweiser"

Then I'll spend about a few hours a week just browsing through basebll websites like www.baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com) I just pick teams and start clicking around. I like to pick teams from the mid 80s and see how many guys I remember. Heck, I'll even read playoff box scores from years past to see if I remember that particular game.

I just have to make it to late January, then there's some local activity to get things brewing before Spring Training starts again.

Do other baseball fans do anything in particular? Any good baseball books? There's one I'd like to read about the inside workings of the Red Sox. Supposedly there's lots of good gossipy stuff.

Jjav829
10-30-2006, 09:56 PM
The Bears are 7-0 and the Bulls start tomorrow. By the time the Bears are done and the "newness" of the Bulls has started to wear off, pitchers and catchers will be close to reporting. That's good enough for me sports wise.

But if I do need a baseball fix here and there, MLB.TV always works. Just select some of the better games and re-live them. :smile:

LuvSox
10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
College football, then college basketball.

FedEx227
10-30-2006, 11:38 PM
college football and the NBA. I'm set for a good 4-5 months.

chisoxmike
10-31-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm not really a Football guy, but the Bulls start tomorrow and they should prove to be exciting this year and build on the past two years. As the they start to make their playoff push, Spring Training will be starting. It's great. All in the middle, the greatest television show ever made starts in January...I am of course, speaking of 24.

Erik The Red
10-31-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm not really a Football guy, but the Bulls start tomorrow and they should prove to be exciting this year and build on the past two years. As the they start to make their playoff push, Spring Training will be starting. It's great. All in the middle, the greatest television show ever made starts in January...I am of course, speaking of 24.

Ugh... hopefully that show recovers from an absolutely abysmal season 5. (end hijack)

Chisox003
10-31-2006, 01:53 AM
Bears, Bulls, college football and basketball.

Also, avoiding Talking Baseball here is key to not losing your mind.

southside rocks
10-31-2006, 07:05 AM
How do you get through the baseball off season? I'm not much of a football fan and while I am a hockey fan I can't get that worked up over regular season games since pretty much every team makes it. Same with basketball.

The first thing I do is read Ball Four. I started last night and I'm about 1/3 the way into it. That book never get old.

"Pound that budweiser"

Then I'll spend about a few hours a week just browsing through basebll websites like www.baseball-reference.com (http://www.baseball-reference.com) I just pick teams and start clicking around. I like to pick teams from the mid 80s and see how many guys I remember. Heck, I'll even read playoff box scores from years past to see if I remember that particular game.

I just have to make it to late January, then there's some local activity to get things brewing before Spring Training starts again.

Do other baseball fans do anything in particular? Any good baseball books? There's one I'd like to read about the inside workings of the Red Sox. Supposedly there's lots of good gossipy stuff.

I'm not a football fan at all, so that's no diversion for me.

I read baseball books; I re-read "Ball Four" this summer, and have you read Jim Bouton's most recent book, "Foul Ball"? It's about his life in retirement and trying to save an old ballpark in his hometown. It's good because it's Bouton. http://www.jimbouton.com/foulball.html

I just bought George Vecsey's "Baseball: A History of America's Favorite Game" to read.

I'm watching the 2005 World Series on DVD's and enjoying all the little things I was too tense to see last year. :tongue:

And a great baseball writer to get through the off-season with is Roger Angell. If I could have only one baseball book with me on a desert island, it might very well be Angell's "Game Time." http://www.powells.com/authors/angell.html

Angell is a Red Sox fan, but most of all he loves the game and he's loved it for 50 years. He brings out the beauty, the timelessness, and the complete unpredictability that is baseball.

If the Red Sox book you're talking about is "Feeding the Monster" by Seth Mnookin, I read it this summer and it's excellent.

Scottiehaswheels
10-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Read, catch up on movies, catch up on tv shows, travel

Chips
10-31-2006, 08:27 AM
It's football season. I have an excellent time.

Baby Fisk
10-31-2006, 08:31 AM
- read many books
- get caught up on DVDs
- Doctor Who, Monday nights at 8:00pm
- learn to play sitar
- watch football
- meditate
- try to write a novel
- travel

Ol' No. 2
10-31-2006, 10:01 AM
We make up completely ridiculous trade ideas.:cool:

MarySwiss
10-31-2006, 10:11 AM
Da Bears
College football and the bowls
The holidays
Phoenix Suns and da Bulls--it'd be nice to see them play each other in the Finals, although it could lead to disharmony in the home, since he'd be rooting for the Bulls, and I'd be rooting for the Suns. (Then again, he's a Cub fan, so I'm used to it, sort of.)
College basketball and March Madness
Spring Training

Free time: rewatch all the 2005 DVDs and reread all the books.
I think I'm covered. :smile:

chisoxmike
10-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Ugh... hopefully that show recovers from an absolutely abysmal season 5. (end hijack)

:o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o:

Season 5 was the best.

Erik The Red
10-31-2006, 05:04 PM
:o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o: :o:

Season 5 was the best.
No.

SoxandtheCityTee
10-31-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm going to learn that dance they do on the mojito commercials. I think I have the hip twitching part down, but that jump-and-clap-at-the-same-time is tricky.

buehrle4cy05
10-31-2006, 10:54 PM
College/pro football and basketball, Led Zeppelin, and seasons 6 & 8 of the Simpsons (the only two seasons I own).

CLR01
10-31-2006, 11:52 PM
All in the middle, the greatest television show ever made starts in January...

The Sopranos have been pushed back until March. :(:

I am sorry you had to hear it like this.

davenicholson
11-02-2006, 07:42 AM
The Sopranos have been pushed back until March. :(:

I am sorry you had to hear it like this.
What is that? Another "reality talent show" that is biased against tenors and altos? I must be the only one in America who doesn't watch/like that show.

Oblong
11-02-2006, 08:31 AM
The Sopranos is one of the greatest shows ever.

I expect these final episodes will tie everything together. David Chase does things for a reason. I can't wait to see how.