PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't tear up watching 2005 moments?

thomas35forever
10-30-2006, 06:36 PM
Maybe it's because I haven't been around as long, so I haven't suffered as much. I know most people on this site waited twenty years or more to see this happen. I only waited sixteen years. I get excited and everything, but I don't cry.

Corlose 15
10-30-2006, 07:00 PM
No you're not alone. I'm 23 and I've been a Sox fan my entire life and I didn't cry. I was excited as hell but I didn't cry.

I think the people who cried are the types who remember going to their first game at Old Comiskey with their dad and suffering through losing the '59 series, the oh so close sixties, the generally crappy 70s and the heartbraking 83 team and finally saw last year's team break through.

23Ventura
10-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I didn't cry either. I was very excited, but I didn't cry.

Parrothead
10-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Maybe it's because I haven't been around as long, so I haven't suffered as much. I know most people on this site waited twenty years or more to see this happen. I only waited sixteen years. I get excited and everything, but I don't cry.

YES ! Of course I am twice your age though. :whiner:

bryPt
10-31-2006, 06:52 AM
I get choked up and get teary eyed. But there are other factors involved here. Many of us have been long and suffering with others that are no longer with us. Father and Sons (mothers and daughters, etc...) that have been fans, no matter how long, dream of seeing a championship together. When it happens and one of them is not there, it adds to the overwelming emotion. I have gone through 2 championships that I thought we would NEVER see, both of them without my Father and one being 10 years ago, and it is still emotional.

MiamiSpartan
10-31-2006, 09:44 AM
44 and cry every time I watch it. When you've been a fan for over 30 years, and something happens that you never thought would happen in your lifetime, you get emotional.

Steelrod
10-31-2006, 10:10 AM
Yea, I also cry!

southside rocks
10-31-2006, 10:26 AM
44 and cry every time I watch it. When you've been a fan for over 30 years, and something happens that you never thought would happen in your lifetime, you get emotional.

Yes, I think it has a lot to do with the age of the fan and the length of time spent being a fan. If I were 20 in 2005, I would have been bat-**** crazy but I probably wouldn't have been in tears.

Being a fan since 1967 and having such a part of my life tied up in White Sox fan-dom, not to mention the family members who raised me in the Sox faith but who died before seeing a World Series winner (notably my dad), the 2005 championship was tremendously emotional for me.

Also, I think that as I get older I am more moved by heroics of any sort, and the Sox last year had plenty of them. When Scott Podsednik said after the last out in the ALCS series that the clubhouse was full of character and team strength, he was identifying something that is an emotional part of a winning ballclub. And part of being a fan is that we feel somehow connected to that, emotionally.

Baby Fisk
10-31-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.zarez.hr/139/images/SZ%20Italija%201%20Hemingway%20copy.jpg
"You young folks today, with your rock and roll music and your cowlicks and your stoicism... What is wrong with you people?! Used to be I couldn't reel in a ten pound walleye without bursting into tears. Bah!"

Chips
10-31-2006, 10:48 AM
I saw part of World Series game 2 at itsnotrequired's house last month. I didn't tear up. I haven't seen any other moments besides highlights here and there on the TV.

zmz723
10-31-2006, 10:54 AM
Whenever I watch the world series dvd, I don't get the chills anymore during the big moments.

Erik The Red
10-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I don't tear up, but at certain moments (like Joe Buck's "... and the White Sox have won the World Series!" call) I do get goosebumps and the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

FedEx227
10-31-2006, 04:37 PM
While I was only 18 when they did win... I felt the effects of 50-60-70 years from my dad who felt the effects from his dad. If anything me getting choked up was just being so happy that my dad had finally got to see the White Sox win one and sadness that my grandpa never did.

kevingrt
10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
I get choked up and teary eyed but I don't know if I ever cry. I don't know though, I guess I may hold myself back.

peeonwrigley
10-31-2006, 06:29 PM
I never teared up with the Sox run. It was incredible and the best sports event of my life, but it just didn't have painstaking emotion because they rolled through the playoffs. It was more like "waiting for the moment", rather than "will the moment happen?".

In comparison, my eyes were flowing with tears when Illinois had the comeback over Arizona to reach the 05 Final Four. If it had been a ho-hum victory, I would not have teared up - but it was so agonizing and such an emotional rollercoaster. Recalling the emotions of that game when I see highlights, I still get a little misty.

Scottzilla
11-01-2006, 03:34 AM
im 27 ive been a sox fan all my life, i teared up watching the rally. we dont need to make excuses why we dont or didnt cry. it doest make you less of a man or more of a fan.

and if you went to a game at old comiskey does that make you an oldie? :(: