PDA

View Full Version : Will pictures be posted of the transformation to all green this offseason?

tony1972
10-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Have they started yet? Does anyone have any photos yet?

Sorry - It's not even November and I can't wait until April.....:(:

esbrechtel
10-30-2006, 06:57 PM
youre not the only one...

skobabe8
10-31-2006, 04:40 PM
I saw big boxes or crates on the ramps of gate 6 maybe 2 weeks ago and assumed they contained the new seats. I got some pictures of the renovations last off season, I'll try to again by Thanksgiving.

chisox77
10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
Good question about the green seats.

They should all be in for the 2007 season.

Skobabe, thanks for offering to take pics, makes it easy for the rest of us to see the progress. Your pics last off season were great.

Slogan: White Sox Heaven In '07

:cool:

GoSoxGo
11-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I am always astounded by most fans' seeming fixation regarding the green seats. I know I am in the minority on this one, but what difference does the seat color make in the long run? I would happily sit on pink seats to watch the Sox. I don't see how this makes any difference to the overall experience at Sox games on or off the field. Call me crazy!!

BanditJimmy
11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Crazy

SoxFan78
11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Can anybody confirm this?

I saw a posting on Soxtalk.com that the Sox were leaving two blue seats in the stadium. One blue seat where Paulie's grand slam hit in game 2, and the other blue seat where Scotty's game winning HR in game 2 hit. Each seat would have a plaque explaining the reasoning.

GoSox2K3
11-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I am always astounded by most fans' seeming fixation regarding the green seats. I know I am in the minority on this one, but what difference does the seat color make in the long run? I would happily sit on pink seats to watch the Sox.
Would you also happily have the Sox be the laughingstock of town for having pink seats?

I don't see how this makes any difference to the overall experience at Sox games on or off the field. Call me crazy!!

Let's see if you can follow....

Green seats = better look and feel of stadium
better look and feel = easier to draw fans (not us die-hards, but fans in general)
more fans = more $$$ for payroll
more $$$ for payroll = better chance to stay competitive when our stars are up for free agency.
More $$$ to keep/acquire talent = better chance to win another trophy.

CaptainBallz
11-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I am always astounded by most fans' seeming fixation regarding the green seats. I know I am in the minority on this one, but what difference does the seat color make in the long run? I would happily sit on pink seats to watch the Sox. I don't see how this makes any difference to the overall experience at Sox games on or off the field. Call me crazy!!

Crazy... Atmosphere isn't everything, but in the TV age and with more noobs coming to the park than ever before, it is something...

I saw a posting on Soxtalk.com that the Sox were leaving two blue seats in the stadium. One blue seat where Paulie's grand slam hit in game 2, and the other blue seat where Scotty's game winning HR in game 2 hit. Each seat would have a plaque explaining the reasoning.

Can't confirm it, but I think that's a GREAT idea... I can see people showing up early to hunt down and get pics w/ those seats...

esbrechtel
11-01-2006, 01:44 PM

that is an amazing idea and if its a rumor someone should email brooks (although i thought paulies GS was in the bleachers i guess ill have to go to tape on this one...) I know that the phillies did something like that when howard hit the homer to the triple deck, theres a big "H" on the seat that it hit

GoSoxGo
11-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Would you also happily have the Sox be the laughingstock of town for having pink seats?

better look and feel = easier to draw fans (not us die-hards, but fans in general)
more $$$ for payroll = better chance to stay competitive when our stars are up for free agency.

Thanks for breaking it down for a simpleton like me. So what you are saying is that even though we won the World Series with blue seats in the park we will only draw more fans due to the use of green seats? Huh? That's absurd.

Also, when I mentioned pink seats I was being a little facetious, but I thought my meaning would be clear. The "must have green" movement has become somewhat of an obsesession with some fans is my only point. I said to call me crazy--not illogical or stupid.

AZChiSoxFan
11-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Good question about the green seats.

They should all be in for the 2007 season.

Sure, just like they should have all been in for the 2006 season.:mad:

23Ventura
11-01-2006, 02:56 PM

The green seats will look good, but c'mon, do you really think the color of the seats will have any effect at all on the team's chances of winning the World Series?

Huisj
11-01-2006, 04:47 PM
The green seats will look good, but c'mon, do you really think the color of the seats will have any effect at all on the team's chances of winning the World Series?

Good point. How many years were they green in the old stadium? How many titles? How many years were the blue in the new stadium? How many titles?

Comparing the ratio of years:titles for the different color seats, it is obvious which is more conducive to a winning team!

kobo
11-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Thanks for breaking it down for a simpleton like me. So what you are saying is that even though we won the World Series with blue seats in the park we will only draw more fans due to the use of green seats? Huh? That's absurd.

Also, when I mentioned pink seats I was being a little facetious, but I thought my meaning would be clear. The "must have green" movement has become somewhat of an obsesession with some fans is my only point. I said to call me crazy--not illogical or stupid.
Alot of fans never liked the blue seats. Now with about 75% of the park in green seats and the rest in blue it looks a tad bit silly. Plus the new green seats they are installing will be angled towards the field providing a better view. So yes, I can understand the obsession with getting the rest of the new seats installed.

23Ventura
11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Good point. How many years were they green in the old stadium? How many titles? How many years were the blue in the new stadium? How many titles?

Comparing the ratio of years:titles for the different color seats, it is obvious which is more conducive to a winning team!
Of Course. Yankee Stadium has blue seats. I guess that explains the 26 titles.

Parrothead
11-01-2006, 05:41 PM

lack of green seats are really hurting the Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers.

soltrain21
11-01-2006, 06:06 PM
lack of green seats are really hurting the Yankees, Cardinals and Dodgers.

While the argument is a tad bit outlandish, blue seats have no business being in the stadium right now. They don't match the color scheme at all.

Hitmen77
11-01-2006, 06:16 PM

Green seats are going in. Get over it already.

bobwsx
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I am always astounded by most fans' seeming fixation regarding the green seats. I know I am in the minority on this one, but what difference does the seat color make in the long run? I would happily sit on pink seats to watch the Sox. I don't see how this makes any difference to the overall experience at Sox games on or off the field. Call me crazy!!CRAZY!!:dtroll:

GoSoxGo
11-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Green seats are going in. Get over it already.

Thank you for saying. That is basically my point.

OzzieBall2004
11-02-2006, 02:15 AM
While the argument is a tad bit outlandish, blue seats have no business being in the stadium right now. They don't match the color scheme at all.

What about the seat where Pods walkoff in game 2 landed?

esbrechtel
11-02-2006, 12:56 PM
there is no sense in arguing or getting upset about it....the stadium will look nice.....thats all that matters

Hitmen77
11-02-2006, 01:26 PM

I heard the Sox were also going to put in a row of pink seats to accommodate fans that like to say "I don't care if the seats are pink, as long as they win". :wink:

tony1972
11-02-2006, 02:03 PM
I heard the Sox were also going to put in a row of pink seats to accommodate fans that like to say "I don't care if the seats are pink, as long as they win". :wink:

Okay..that made me laugh !:rolleyes:

Iwritecode
11-02-2006, 03:02 PM

I hate to say it but more $$$ doesn't necessarily mean a better chance to win. Just look 8 miles north.

Plus I don't really think turning the seats green is really going to generate a large ticket sales boost either.

tony1972
11-02-2006, 08:05 PM
This is why the green seats are kind of a big deal to some people..

For me, during the summer..the Cell is like my home away from home. If I am having a bad week, family or work problems, etc. sometimes knowing I am going to a game on Friday or Saturday is really something I look forward to, something I anticipate almost like a kid (even though I'm not)..

Since the Cell, Sox Park, Comiskey, whatever..is like a home to me..I like to feel a sense of pride not only in the team but the place the team plays. It's the same as with your own house, apartment, whatever. For years we had to put up with Cra--- and continually defend our park. It wasn't bad..but it wasn't great either. The changes and to me especially the green seats now make this park one of the most beatiful I believe in baseball. It gives me a sense of pride in being a Sox fan..not just my team..but where my team plays..

For those of you who say.."I don't care..as long as the Sox win...that's like saying...well I don't care where I live..as long as I can sleep and shower and eat. A lot of us do care and feel it is important.

Of course, winning is the most important thing. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel pride in the place where your favorite team plays and I don't think those of us who feel that way should be criticized..

soxchick20
11-02-2006, 09:21 PM

For me, during the summer..the Cell is like my home away from home. If I am having a bad week, family or work problems, etc. sometimes knowing I am going to a game on Friday or Saturday is really something I look forward to, something I anticipate almost like a kid (even though I'm not)..

Since the Cell, Sox Park, Comiskey, whatever..is like a home to me..I like to feel a sense of pride not only in the team but the place the team plays. It's the same as with your own house, apartment, whatever. For years we had to put up with Cra--- and continually defend our park. It wasn't bad..but it wasn't great either. The changes and to me especially the green seats now make this park one of the most beatiful I believe in baseball. It gives me a sense of pride in being a Sox fan..not just my team..but where my team plays..

For those of you who say.."I don't care..as long as the Sox win...that's like saying...well I don't care where I live..as long as I can sleep and shower and eat. A lot of us do care and feel it is important.

Of course, winning is the most important thing. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel pride in the place where your favorite team plays and I don't think those of us who feel that way should be criticized..

Nicely said. I totally agree!

PalehosePlanet
11-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Atta boy Tony1972; couldn't have said it better myself. I love the look and feel of the park now, whereas 5 years ago it was just ho-hum.

BTW: Tailgaiting is a big atmosphere boost too!

Hitmen77
11-03-2006, 11:14 AM

Well said!

...plus, I heard many of the new seats going in this offseason are going to be angled towards home plate, I'll be interested in seeing how that turns out.

Jerko
11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I don't know. I've been going to Sox games for years and years and have enjoyed myself the entire time, and it had nothing to do with seat color. Big deal. If they're green, fine, but the blue ones work just as well IMO.

soxnut
11-03-2006, 01:37 PM

Very nicely said. I totally agree!

TomBradley72
11-03-2006, 08:01 PM

Spot on. :gulp:

I'm a traditionalist and just enjoy being in a ballpark just for the sake of being there. The blue seats have irritated me since Opening Day 1991...there was absolutely no logical explanation for that choice when they built the new stadium. I'm looking forward to the look of the ballpark in 2007....16 years to fix the problem. Now if we can only get McCuddy's back. :cool:

tony1972
11-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Spot on. :gulp:

I'm a traditionalist and just enjoy being in a ballpark just for the sake of being there. The blue seats have irritated me since Opening Day 1991...there was absolutely no logical explanation for that choice when they built the new stadium. I'm looking forward to the look of the ballpark in 2007....16 years to fix the problem. Now if we can only get McCuddy's back. :cool:

But will the barstools at McCuddy's be green or black? :tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
11-03-2006, 08:41 PM
...there was absolutely no logical explanation for that choice when they built the new stadium.

Did I read somewhere that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted blue seats because he liked the blue of the Brooklyn Dodgers (apparently he grew up as a Dodgers fan), and hoped the new park would in some way remind him of Ebbets Field?

I imagine the seats were ordered (and therefore the color selected) before the Sox decided to change uniforms and team colors from red, white and blue to black, silver and white.

Red Barchetta
11-04-2006, 10:53 AM

Well said. I'm old enough to remember that Chicago was NOT always a "Cub Town" as the national media and Chicago's own Tribune Company tries to make everyone believe. However, I think we can all agree that when Comiskey II in it's original ballmall renditionwas introduced and the newness wore off, actually hurt the SOX organization during the same period of time the Tribune company rolled out heavy marketing that turned an old ball park called Wrigley Field into "The Shrine" off all things baseball. True or not, it worked.

The US Cellular renovations have gone a long way to help bring back some kind of "feel" to the park. I think the new roof has played the biggest role in terms of sound as indicated during last year's World Series when the national announcers indicated that The Cell was the loudest ballpark/crowd they have ever heard.

The final color scheme change to green and angled seats will only help score more positive fan response and make us all prouder of our 'Baseball Home".

Now, finish bricking over the remaining exposed concrete please....

CaptainBallz
11-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Did I read somewhere that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted blue seats because he liked the blue of the Brooklyn Dodgers (apparently he grew up as a Dodgers fan), and hoped the new park would in some way remind him of Ebbets Field?

I imagine the seats were ordered (and therefore the color selected) before the Sox decided to change uniforms and team colors from red, white and blue to black, silver and white.

I remember someone saying that blue is just the generic "stock" color used by whoever manufactured the seats. Therefore, blue it was to cut expenses.

oeo
11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I remember someone saying that blue is just the generic "stock" color used by whoever manufactured the seats. Therefore, blue it was to cut expenses.

Was that someone a Cubs fan?

I find it hard to believe there is a "stock" seat color. I've heard the same thing as Frater, which makes more sense IMO.

cws05champ
11-07-2006, 12:09 AM
Not sure when this sat image was taken but I don't see any more blue!

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/index.php#maxp=search&q1=+chicago,+IL&mvt=s&trf=0&lon=-87.632988&lat=41.829965&mag=1

twentywontowin
11-07-2006, 12:12 AM

http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/index.php#maxp=search&q1=+chicago,+IL&mvt=s&trf=0&lon=-87.632988&lat=41.829965&mag=1

It's pre-2005, there is no Fundamentals there. So they are all blue, the image is just grainy.

BanditJimmy
11-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I can also see that the seats are angled from that satelite view.

itsnotrequired
11-07-2006, 08:44 AM

The City of Chicago maps are from spring of 2005. You can see Fundamentals.

http://maps.cityofchicago.org/mapchicago/viewer.htm

INSox56
11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
It's pre-2005, there is no Fundamentals there. So they are all blue, the image is just grainy.

heh, not to mention the fact that it took them the entire offseason to do about 1/2 to 2/3 the stadium, I highly doubt they could finish the rest in a little over a month...

CaptainBallz
11-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Was that someone a Cubs fan?

I find it hard to believe there is a "stock" seat color. I've heard the same thing as Frater, which makes more sense IMO.

It was here at WSI I know that...

You're gonna make me search for this aren't you...

FielderJones
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM

Google Maps (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=333%2Bw%2B35th%2Bst%2B60616&ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=41.830021,-87.633144&spn=0.000981,0.001829&t=k&om=1) shows Fundamentals, but the color is kinda washed out. Hard to tell if the blue is gone.

champagne030
11-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Google Maps (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=333%2Bw%2B35th%2Bst%2B60616&ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=41.830021,-87.633144&spn=0.000981,0.001829&t=k&om=1) shows Fundamentals, but the color is kinda washed out. Hard to tell if the blue is gone.

That picture is way old. Soldier Field isn't a flying saucer yet........

Hitmen77
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM

I bet the Cell and Soldier Field pictures weren't taken at the same time. The Soldier Field pic must be from 2002, but the Cell definitely has its new roof.

oeo
11-07-2006, 01:41 PM

All the images are not taken at the same time. Some are updated more often than others.

esbrechtel
11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
i love how this thread turned into "i checked the spy sattilite images and nope still blue out there...." :D:

skobabe8
11-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I was inside on Nov. 6 and all of the blue seats have been unbolted, with only right field behind the BPSB down to the bare concrete. I tried to upload a picture (although it doesnt show much) but i'm not sure if it uploaded correctly.