PDA

View Full Version : Question - Have the Sox ever made you cry?

tony1972
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
I know this is pretty sad..but just looking back to 2005 when I was at McNally's and fans some older fans started crying when they won..Have the White Sox ever made you cry?

I cried once...when I was at Game 6 of the ALCS at Comiskey in 1993 and the were elimanated...(although I was 21 at the time)..

I am not ashamed to admit that. I did not cry when the won the World Series but ran around like an idiot from joy...

skottyj242
10-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I know this is pretty sad..but just looking back to 2005 when I was at McNally's and fans some older fans started crying when they won..Have the White Sox ever made you cry?

I cried once...when I was at Game 6 of the ALCS at Comiskey in 1993 and the were elimanated...(although I was 21 at the time)..

I am not ashamed to admit that. I did not cry when the won the World Series but ran around like an idiot from joy...

I let out a few tears last October and I know I was almost in tears in 2000.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2006, 03:09 PM
When Selig handed the trophy to Reinsdorf... I lost all control. :whiner: :gulp: :whiner: :redface:

Finally, a dream that came true!

35th&Shields
10-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Watching the Sox Pride video a couple of months after the fact made me tear up. And I'm not ashamed to admit that. It was truly a dream come true. The best part was it was better than I ever expected.

thegooch
10-30-2006, 03:17 PM

no. i love the sox more than your average person, but it's still a game. Now, if the cubs won a WS before us.....I think I would have cried.

southside rocks
10-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Oh, definitely! But I'm a girl, I cry at lots of stuff. :tongue:

When Paulie gave the ball to JR at the rally on October 28, 2005, I cried. And I still cry when I watch that on the DVD.

Realist
10-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Thinking about the 2005 White Sox or watching their antics on DVD often gives me lots of happy tears. :smile:

MarySwiss
10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Oh, definitely! But I'm a girl, I cry at lots of stuff. :tongue:

When Paulie gave the ball to JR at the rally on October 28, 2005, I cried. And I still cry when I watch that on the DVD.

Yep. I always cry at that part too.

chisoxfanatic
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
When they clinched the division in 2000, I cried. I also cried when I went to my first playoff game (Game 1 of last year's ALDS), as well as at Game 2 of last year's ALCS. I also cry whenever I watch the World Series DVD. The biggest tears were on 10/26/05 and during the parade. Seeing nearly 2 million people assemble for the White Sox was a thing of beauty.

It's gonna be very hard to top the emotions felt in 2005.

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
The last game at Old Comiskey, if that technically counts?

manuelsucks
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Interesting, I thought I was odd for shedding a few tears for the Sox.

I did let a few tears out at Opening Day when they were showing the video montage of the team from 1917 and ealier then they started to show clips of the 2005 team's run. Just realizing how much history is apart of this team and what they were finally able to accomplish for all their fans... I couldn't hold it in any longer. Once the banner started to come down, I was crying a little bit.

chisoxmike
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM

I did let a few tears out at Opening Day when they were showing the video montage of the team from 1918 and ealier then they started to show clips of the 2005 team's run. Just realizing how much history is apart of this team and what they were finally able to accomplish for all their fans... I couldn't hold it in any longer. Once the banner started to come down, I was crying a little bit.

So you're a Red Sox fan?

:?:

hi im skot
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM

I did let a few tears out at Opening Day when they were showing the video montage of the team from 1918 and ealier then they started to show clips of the 2005 team's run. Just realizing how much history is apart of this team and what they were finally able to accomplish for all their fans... I couldn't hold it in any longer. Once the banner started to come down, I was crying a little bit.

The opening montage always gets me, too.

soxchick20
10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
I always find myself in :whiner: . ANything from 2005 gets me everytime. No matter how many times I watch the DVD's, I'll always ball like a baby. And I also found myself in tears at the last home game of the season this year, when the players stayed on the field for a minute after the game and they played the "Thank You" montage. :whiner: :whiner:

manuelsucks
10-30-2006, 04:02 PM
So you're a Red Sox fan?

:?:

My bad, I'm never good with years... although I know I will never forget 2005, since I was around to experience it.

Kuzman
10-30-2006, 04:07 PM
The video montage and the raising of the banners on opening night this year got me. In front of my entire family too!

LITTLE NELL
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Been a Sox fan since 1954, goose bumps and tears many many times.When Nellie Fox, my all time hero, made the Hall of Fame I cried like a baby. I cry every time I listen to Brickhouse's call of the 59 clincher on White Sox interactive. Im 61 years old and I love this team with a passion thats hard to explain.

PKalltheway
10-30-2006, 04:50 PM
I cried after the division series loss in 2000. The only time I have ever cried after a loss, and it shall remain that way.

nebraskasox
10-30-2006, 04:51 PM
My eyes filled with tears many times since 10/26/2005 when I relive those magic moments and think of the family members and many Sox fans who never lived to see a champion.

10-30-2006, 05:02 PM
My wife cried when Aaron got his ring...I got choked up too!

soxchampsof05
10-30-2006, 05:14 PM
i cryed like crazy when Captain Clutch Crede hit a walk off homerun against Cleavland in September when we were like a 1 and half games up in 2005

Over By There
10-30-2006, 05:24 PM
It got a little dusty in the OBT household when they clinched the pennant. I don't really remember tearing up when they won the whole thing last year, but several months later, when I saw the DVD for the first time... oh yeah, there were tears. Good tears. :gulp:

I want Mags back
10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
yep

MeteorsSox4367
10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Pierzynski's HR against the Dodgers, Crede's against Cleveland, the AL pennant clincher, Opening Night 2006 (I lied and told my friend my allergies were kicking in), watching the intro montage...

Oh, yeah. The night the Sox won the World Series!!! I stood in front of the TV just bawling my eyes out.

AND IT FELT DAMN GOOD!!!!!

Martinigirl
10-30-2006, 05:52 PM

In the right mood, I can still cry when thinking about last year.

Realist
10-30-2006, 06:18 PM
... I love this team with a passion thats hard to explain.

I think you may be preaching to the choir on this site. :wink:

DumpJerry
10-30-2006, 07:05 PM
The White Sox have never made me cry, but the mother****ing Orioles made my waterworks make Niagra Falls look like a trickle after Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS.

soxfan13
10-30-2006, 07:32 PM
I let out a few tears last October and I know I was almost in tears in 2000.

Oh there was no almost. Those were tears!!!:smile:

23Ventura
10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
I haven't cried, but I did get close when I read a story about cemeteries that had graves decorated with Sox stuff a couple of days after the series. It just reminded me that there were lots of die-hard fans that never got to see it.

BA: The Hitman
10-30-2006, 09:46 PM
the highlight video definitely gives me goosebumps.......there were tears of dissappointment in 2000 and tears of joy on 10/26/05........the two things that got me the worst were paulie giving the ball to reinsdorf and being at the game with the ring ceremony when rowand got his ring

Martinigirl
10-30-2006, 11:21 PM
I haven't cried, but I did get close when I read a story about cemeteries that had graves decorated with Sox stuff a couple of days after the series. It just reminded me that there were lots of die-hard fans that never got to see it.

There was a Higgins cartoon in the Sun Times re: this and it made me cry like a baby.

ChetChat
10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
The Sox have been the source of many tears of happiness over the past years :-) But I have to admit I really bawled at the ring ceremony... Every time I watch the video of the ring ceremony I get all weepy
:whiner:
... Yes, when they announce Aaron Rowand :?:

SOXSINCE'70
10-31-2006, 07:12 AM
Every time I watch the WS dvd,the "Sox Pride" DVD,
and my 2005 playoff DVD box set.:cool:

MiamiSpartan
10-31-2006, 10:43 AM

Cried like a baby after the 05 WS. 43 years old and proud to admit it.

soxfan1965
10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
The White Sox have never made me cry, but the Orioles made my waterworks make Niagra Falls look like a trickle after Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS.

Yes that home run by Oriole Tito Landrum in a year the Sox could have easily won the World Series.

johnr1note
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I posted this last year, after the Sox won the series.

I didn't cry when they won the pennant or the series, though I though I would. I was born two days before the Sox clinched the pennant in 1959, and my Mom relates the story of being in the hospital when the sirens when off, and she thought the world was going to end. I was ushered into this life connected to the White Sox.

It wasn't until the morning of after, on Oct. 27, 2005 that it all hit me.

I was having my morning coffee and cereal, at the kitchen table, reading about the White Sox with the Chicago Tribune, with ESPN radio playing in the background. Of course all the talk on the radio was about the White Sox victory. My family was hustling about, getting ready for school and work. I was alone in the kitchen, trying to wake up and start my day.
Then, when ESPN Radio did its hourly sports news update, they replayed the final out of the World Series as called by Sox radio play by play man John Rooney. I had not been listening to the radio the night before, but had been watching the game on television. I don’t usually watch White Sox baseball on television. We don’t have cable TV, and the reception we get for baseball when it is on over-the-air TV is pretty poor, so more often than not, I listen to the game on the radio. John Rooney had been the radio voice of the Sox for 18 years. I have listened to him call hundreds of White Sox games.

I hadn’t heard Rooney call the game the night before – I was listening to the network TV announcers, FOX network’s baseball guys, who are neutral (supposedly) as far as team loyalty goes. Rooney, however, as the White Sox radio voice, openly cheered for the Sox when he called a game.
As I listened to the recording of Rooney describe the exciting action on the last play, his voice rising, the tension building as he noted that the ball was rolling slowly, the closeness of the play, and then – the absolute jubilation in his voice as he shouted “OUT!!!” and began exclaiming that the White Sox were the World’s Champions, and his clichéd trademark “It’s a White Sox Winner!”

I’m not sure what it was – the familiarity of Rooney’s voice and his connection to 18 years of Sox baseball with me listening to it all on the radio, or the excited “home fan” notion of him calling that play, or what it was, but hearing his voice and visualizing the Sox winning, a rush of emotion swept over me, and I wept. The connection to everything the White Sox means to me, my past, my family, my identity, rushed out of me in a brief moment of emotion. All the years of frustration, the rivalry with other baseball fans, the sense of being second best as a baseball team, all the great memories, both bitter and sweet, seemed to all culminate in that moment etched in my mind of Paul Konerko squeezing the ball, the throw just beating the step of the Houston runner, and then the explosion of celebration.

Maybe I just needed another part of my White Sox “family” to complete everything. I don’t know. But the White Sox winning the World Series has been a healing moment for me, letting it out in a good cry then, for my memories, for my bitterness, for my dreams. Its as if a great weight has been lifted.

It was ironic listening to Rooney on XM doing the Cardinals games in the World Series THIS year.

Chrisaway
10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
The first game here against Oakland when Frank Thomas came up to bat got me. And of course 2005 stuff.

Over By There
10-31-2006, 04:11 PM

The day that the WS started, I drove out to the cemetary and decorated my grandpa's grave. Although I was born and raised on the north side, he grew up in Bridgeport and his love for the Sox got into my blood. He was a toddler when the Sox had last won the WS, and thinking of him was one of the reasons for my tears...

PalehosePlanet
10-31-2006, 04:29 PM
My wife and I both wept openly like babies. First when we beat Boston, then The Angels, and then of course the series. I still choke up whenever I watch the dvds or some of the WS moments that I STILL have saved on the DVR for quick access. The other day I caught my wife get teary eyed when she touched the Sox talking bottle opener and heard Rooney's series-winning call.

Also, as others have mentioned, a year ago when I happened to drive by a graveyard and would see all of the Sox pennants, baloons, souveniers, etc..

skobabe8
10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
The video montage and the raising of the banners on opening night this year got me. In front of my entire family too!

I don't give a crap who knows, and Converted can attest to this as she was there, but on April 2nd of this year I cried LIKE A BABY practically through the entire pre-game ceremony. I mean it was uncontrollable. And I have always wondered my entire life when the moment would come when the Sox would make me cry--good or bad. It wasn't in '93 or 2000. It wasn't getting to, or even winning the World Series. I almost felt like I should have been crying then. But I just didn't. I started to think that maybe my emotions didn't run as deep as I had always thought they did. But when they unveiled those banners I just lost it and I knew that they really did.

digdagdug23
10-31-2006, 06:03 PM
The opening montage always gets me, too.

I cried like a baby when they won the series, up until that point I had convinced myself that the implosion was coming. I refused to beleive it was going to happen until the last out. The pessimist in me was set free on that glorious last out, as I screamed at Bobby Jenks "You dumb ass, you can't jump that high, let it go!!!!" Juanie picks it up, fires to first, Paulie makes the grab, touches the bag, "The Chicago White Sox have won the World Series!!" Just thinking about it gets me misty eyed.

My first game at the cell in 2006, I made a point of being there early enough to watch the montage, as some of you had been thrilled with hit, and posted as much here, daughter and I had tears rolling down our faces as we watched it unfold on the jumbotron. It was the pre-game to the first Cubs/Sox game in May this spring.

Frontman
10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Plenty of times last season, once in the offseason of 05/06 (I'll explain in a few sentences) and a few this season.

Last season:

The day they clinched the playoff spot. I had a feeling it "might be the year."

When they won the first game of the ALDS. (I still was worried of the "one and done" times we've been there before.)

When El Duque got the punchout for the 3rd out with the bases loaded in Fenway. We eliminated the reigning champs! (well, it wasn't the final out, but the most memorable for me from that game.)

When Paulie stepped on the bag for the last out of the ALCS. I was worried after game one, (and why the hell shouldn't I have been. Its not like we were going to get 4 complete games in a row out of our starting pitching....nevermind.)

When the national anthem played for game 1 of the WS. I might not agree with our nations leaders at times, and I can't stand party politics, but I'm always proud of this nation, and damn proud to serve this nation as a civil servant. The World Series, ratings be damned, is a part of Americana, and the whole free world was watching that night. Seeing our city, The City of Big Shoulders, or as from Sandburg's poem "Chicago" which says it all, "Come and show me another city with lifted head singing so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning." We were on the national stage.

When Jenks got the last out of game 1.

When Pods went deep to win game 2. I had no doubts we would beat the Astros. I just wondered how many games would it take.

When Burhele took the mound to finish off game 3, I knew we were so close, couldn't help it (but I blame those tears on exhaustion.)

Oh, for about 2 hours from out # 2 ("Did he catch it? He CAUGHT IT, HE CAUGHT IT, HE REACHED INTO THE STANDS AND BROUGHT IT BACK OUT!") to when I finally shut the TV off on the 26th early in the morning last year. They really started flowing when Paulie said, "88 years has been a long time, and I'm honored to be on the team that did it." Paulie 'got it,' he understood what it meant to all of us Sox fans. Between that and the parade presentation of the game ball to Jerry, I became a Paulie fan.

During the post season:

A few days after the series ended, going to my Grandad's grave with a Sox flag, telling him "They did it Pa. YOUR team did it." My son, who is named for my Grandad, has become a HUGE Sox fan, keeps asking, "When they playing again?"

2006 season
Opening night/week festivities. The banners, the rings, and then for game 3 of the season, seeing the video montage over the TV up to Joe Buck's "And the White Sox have won the World Series." I had tears in my eyes when I looked at my wife and said, "I reaaaaaaaaaly need to get to a game this season (I got to two) and see that in person."

Family field day. Watching my son run out onto the field, when he realized exactly where he was (he's 4. He didn't get what "Sox park" was until he realized this is where the Sox played. It was awesome.) He had to use "Ozzie's phone" (he loved Ozzies "This is Sportscenter" commercial.)

Those two games I did get to. The hairs on my arm stood up for the national anthem, the video montage, and the players taking the field. The 2nd game was the last home game of the season, and man, even though we didn't make it all the way again, it was great fun, enjoyment, angst, ups, and downs watching them fight all the way until the last week of the season trying. And saying goodbye for now was bittersweet, but man, what a game that was! Konkerko, Crede, Uribe, Anderson, all going deep. And everyone there was in such good spirits and just having fun. (Whoever shouted out to Ozzie when he pulled Garcia, "Come on Ozzie, let him finish! He's family! How can you do that to family?!?!" was hilarious. I laughed a bunch at that. Had a few tears when Cotts tossed two homerun balls in a row, but that was more of "Man, don't loose this one, guys. It's going to be the last time we see you all for a while."

Postseason 2006

Reliving some of those memories with you guys.

See you all around the site, and how many more days 'til pitchers and catchers report?

Later!

Front

Scottzilla
11-01-2006, 04:14 AM
my eyes itched a bit when they clinched, the post season run was kind of a blur, but when i was watching the rally on tv i teared up.
i also came very close to crying through that whole alcs against the blue jays. that one really hurt.

StillMissOzzie
11-01-2006, 04:43 AM
The last game at Old Comiskey, if that technically counts?

Yeah, me too.
And Opening Day 2006, when the 2005 banner was revealed.

And it makes me think about how fortunate my son is, to have experienced his first World Series champion at age 12, when his dad (moi) and my dad are also celebrating OUR first World Series champion, at substantially higher ages.

"Enjoy this while you can, who knows when the next one will be?", I said to him.

SMO
:gulp:

bryPt
11-01-2006, 07:48 AM

A cemetary in Glen Ellyn along Galena Ave. had 3-4 graves decorated with Sox stuff about 3 months ago when I walked through it.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-01-2006, 11:41 AM
The World Series DVD always makes me tear. But I have a smile from ear to ear everytime I see it as well. For some reason all highlights of Aaron Rowand cheering on from the dugout make me want to just start balling. The scene that probably gets me the most is the one of Aaron Rowand and someone high-fiving each other after Podsednik's game-winning home run and then everyone storming the field.

There are a lot of things men can't shed tears for, but when your favorite sports team ends an 88 year drought, let it rain!

Frontman
11-01-2006, 04:24 PM
The World Series DVD always makes me tear. But I have a smile from ear to ear everytime I see it as well. For some reason all highlights of Aaron Rowand cheering on from the dugout make me want to just start balling. The scene that probably gets me the most is the one of Aaron Rowand and someone high-fiving each other after Podsednik's game-winning home run and then everyone storming the field.

There are a lot of things men can't shed tears for, but when your favorite sports team ends an 88 year drought, let it rain!

That was Anderson he was high-fiving.

Walker29
11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
The Pods Homer on DVD is man-tear moment for me too!

qpropaganda
11-02-2006, 09:10 AM
yes...when they won the world series...I and about 5 other grown men in my section at the united center cried like a bunch of ****ing babies...

for me, it was kind of an emotional release of 23 years of bitterness & disapointment in knowing that they should have won, I guess...