PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-31

Lip Man 1
10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
October 31, 2005 - Happy Halloween! As the White Sox were winning their first championship in 88 years, Sports Illustrated put Scott Posednik and his winning home run from the 2nd game on the cover. The long caption read, "World Series. In A Match Up Of Two Title Hungry Teams, The White Sox Struck First, Dramatically Downing The Astros In Games 1 And 2."

Sports Illustrated then basically ignored the White Sox winning the series by only putting a small circle shot of the team celebrating in the corner of the following week’s cover, breaking a long standing tradition. The cover that week was Peyton Manning and Tom Brady in a regular season game preview!

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/2005/1031_large.jpg

Lip

samram
10-30-2006, 12:40 PM
That's odd that the issue that came out 5 days after the Series was over only had coverage of the first two games.

stl_sox_fan
10-30-2006, 01:22 PM
That really irked me that they only merited a small bubble on the cover of the following week's issue. I guess that's the problem with them winning the series right around the same time that issue was being printed.

Jerko
10-30-2006, 01:42 PM
That really irked me that they only merited a small bubble on the cover of the following week's issue. I guess that's the problem with them winning the series right around the same time that issue was being printed.

Hey, don't the Colts and Pats play AGAIN this weekend????? See if they bump the Cardinals off the front page this year????????

gobears1987
10-30-2006, 02:36 PM
That's odd that the issue that came out 5 days after the Series was over only had coverage of the first two games.It didn't come out 5 days after. It came out on the 24th. All magazines come out on a Monday and list the date of the following Monday. That's so if you buy it on Friday, it still seems like its not old news.

stl_sox_fan
11-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Hey, don't the Colts and Pats play AGAIN this weekend????? See if they bump the Cardinals off the front page this year????????

Ha! I think this week's issue is my last. That will be too funny if it happens again.