PDA

View Full Version : Henry Blanco to sign with the Sox?

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 09:20 AM
from todays tribune

But Hendry also wants to bring back Kerry Wood, Juan Pierre and Henry Blanco. All three have said they're interested in returning, though Pierre could be lost in a bidding war, Wood might opt for a fresh start and Blanco could wind up with his old pal, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Chips
10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/4336/stjohns20stop20signug8.jpg

BanditJimmy
10-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Blanco is the best back up catcher in baseball (IMO).

Would be a great addition to our team.

southside rocks
10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
Blanco is the best back up catcher in baseball (IMO).

Would be a great addition to our team.

I'd much rather see Blanco than Alomar Jr. on the '07 Sox.

illini81887
10-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Blanco would be pretty good for backup C

DaleJRFan
10-30-2006, 10:35 AM
How about Chris Stewart?

kittle42
10-30-2006, 10:48 AM
How about Chris Stewart?

There's really no indication he's anything more than a minor-league catcher, but I imagine he'll have his chance to win a roster spot in the spring.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2006, 10:50 AM
I'd much rather see Blanco than Alomar Jr. on the '07 Sox.Agreed.

munchman33
10-30-2006, 10:55 AM
But can he catch a knuckleball?

russ99
10-30-2006, 11:07 AM
This is just speculation, mostly based on the promient appearance of Blanco in Ozzie's spanish language special on Comcast Sports Net.

Still, the Sox could do a lot worse than Blanco as a backup...

DaleJRFan
10-30-2006, 11:56 AM
There's really no indication he's anything more than a minor-league catcher, but I imagine he'll have his chance to win a roster spot in the spring.

Isn't it usually the case that any offense you receive from a backup catcher is gravy? If the McCarthy start that Chris Stewart caught is any indication, he is a top notch defensive catcher. He threw out Grady Sizemore twice... and one of the two CS was on a knuckleball!

If Stewart can hit .220 in his games and provide a solid backstop for Haeger, coupled with his salary for the next few years - he seems to be 'the' viable option for backup catcher.

Use the mil it would take to sign Blanco on a righthanded hitting 4th outfielder or maybe to add another quality bullpen arm.

eh, what do I know... :o: :cool:

SABRSox
10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Isn't it usually the case that any offense you receive from a backup catcher is gravy? If the McCarthy start that Chris Stewart caught is any indication, he is a top notch defensive catcher. He threw out Grady Sizemore twice... and one of the two CS was on a knuckleball!

If Stewart can hit .220 in his games and provide a solid backstop for Haeger, coupled with his salary for the next few years - he seems to be 'the' viable option for backup catcher.

Use the mil it would take to sign Blanco on a righthanded hitting 4th outfielder or maybe to add another quality bullpen arm.

Completely agree. Spending the money on a backup catcher makes no sense.

eriqjaffe
10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/card/images/headshot_1149.jpg
"Dude, what's wrong with spending $1 million on a backup catcher? Last time you did that, you won a World Series!"

WizardsofOzzie
10-30-2006, 01:17 PM
from todays tribune

But Hendry also wants to bring back Kerry Wood, Juan Pierre and Henry Blanco. All three have said they're interested in returning, though Pierre could be lost in a bidding war, Wood might opt for a fresh start and Blanco could wind up with his old pal, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Wow, is the only word that could come to mind if this were true

soxinem1
10-30-2006, 02:04 PM
How about Chris Stewart?

I for one thought he was the best defensive catcher I've seen behind the plate for us in a l-o-n-g time. He throws great, is quick behind the plate.

Blanco is a definite upgrade over Widger or Alomar, but Stewart might be a good option too.

I want Mags back
10-30-2006, 05:32 PM
for a back up, why the hell not

spiffie
10-30-2006, 05:41 PM

Let me first say I like Chris Stewart and would have no problem with him as the backup. He looks solid with the glove, and if he can catch the knuckler he could be very valuable.

However, I guess I quibble with the idea that the backup catcher doesn't need to bring offense. Look at the amount of at-bats our backup catchers got this year (and this was a year where AJP got worked pretty hard). Combined Stewart, Widger, and Alomar had 142 plate appearances. In a perfect world the backup C would probably have 180-200 PA's per year. That is a lot of appearances for a backup, and thus not nearly as easy to hide as another poor hitting backup who can play multiple positions and thus get lots of work as 1 AB sort of guy/defensive replacement. I'd rather go for a very solid backup C and take my chances with the 25th guy being light hitting than to have a .140 hitting backup C.

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:32 PM
No no absolutely not-never no way
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
no excubs on the sox!!!!!

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 07:33 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

What about Ross Gload

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:33 PM
I dont want to hear everyone singing
"he's a blanco blanco man- we all wanna be a blanco man"

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:34 PM
What about Ross Gload

gloads on us now, im talking furthur reference.

soxfan13
10-30-2006, 07:35 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Jon Garland

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Jon Garland

see my last post, garland n gload are sox now.
The baseball Gods, gave us those two to"save"
and we did Save them.
im talking no more future excubs

soxfan13
10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
see my last post, garland n gload are sox now.
The baseball Gods, gave us those two to"save"
and we did Save them.
im talking no more future excubs

So why couldnt the Sox, as you said, "save" other ex cubs.

SABRSox
10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I dont want to hear everyone singing
"he's a blanco blanco man- we all wanna be a blanco man"

Time to put this down:
:bong:

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:47 PM
So why couldnt the Sox, as you said, "save" other ex cubs.

Some of da other playa's my frienda
"dont want to be a saved- They dont have the fortitude"

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Time to put this down:
:bong:

nice vase.

whitesoxwilkes
10-30-2006, 07:49 PM

:hawk
"I luv that Reverend."

soxfan13
10-30-2006, 07:51 PM

Not taking any player that could improve your club, becaues he is an ex-Cub is just asinine.

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Not taking any player that could improve your club, becaues he is an ex-Cub is just asinine.

just remember we cant win the world series
with too many excubs!!!

soxfan13
10-30-2006, 08:00 PM
just remember we cant win the world series
with too many excubs!!!

Yeah and you cant win a World Series because of the Black Sox curse or the curse of the Bambino.

DaleJRFan
10-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Is it just me, or did this thread go spiraling down the ****ter right after Spiffie's post?? But hey, at least there was intelligent discussion about backup catchers on this thread at some point today...

soxwon
10-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Is it just me, or did this thread go spiraling down the ****ter right after Spiffie's post?? But hey, at least there was intelligent discussion about backup catchers on this thread at some point today...

you can blame me for that lol
Actually ive been messin with ya all
I do like Blanco, and if he comes
i look forward to everyone singing
"he's a blanco blanco man"

SABRSox
10-30-2006, 08:12 PM

And it went down fast. Seriously, would you rather want, oh let's say $1-2mil spent in the bullpen, or on a backup catcher? I'm thinking most people would say in the bullpen. Backup catchers are a dime a dozen. I want a guy that can throw out baserunners, and Stewart can do that.

southside rocks
10-30-2006, 08:54 PM
And it went down fast. Seriously, would you rather want, oh let's say $1-2mil spent in the bullpen, or on a backup catcher? I'm thinking most people would say in the bullpen. Backup catchers are a dime a dozen. I want a guy that can throw out baserunners, and Stewart can do that.

I'll be surprised if the Sox put Stewart on the roster next year as backup catcher. I think he's a year or so away.

I really think that rushing Brian Anderson into the major leagues last year showed the Sox organization something about the perils of doing that, and they're not likely to do it with Stewart.

$1 or $2 million probably won't get much in the way of pitching, with pitchers' price tags what they are today. I'd be very happy to see the Sox get Blanco or someone of comparable quality who can catch every 5th game so that AJ doesn't have to play 150 games.

southside rocks
10-30-2006, 08:57 PM

Yes, but I don't think that Stewart aspires to a career as a backup catcher. :tongue: I think he'd like to develop, if he has the tools, into an AJ Pierzynski or a Jason Varitek or an Ivan Rodriguez. So it probably wouldn't be okay with him if he hit .220, and the Sox might rather that he develop his hitting potential (assuming he has some) along with his catching skills, and that's probably more likely to happen with some more AAA time for him.

Never know, though; that's what makes off-season speculation so much fun.

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Just say no to ex-sCrUBS.
Why doesn't KW sign Carrie Woods as well??:roflmao: :roflmao:

kittle42
10-30-2006, 11:48 PM

So I take it you'd never have any interest in Derrek Lee? :?:

goon
10-31-2006, 12:11 AM

first off, henry blanco would be a great backup catcher.

second, if kerry wood was available for VERY, VERY cheap as a middle reliever, i would trust the white sox trainers enough to keep him healthy, unlike the pisspoor trainers/doctors on the northside. kerry wood's talent has never been a question, his health has.

plus if he turned it around, it would be the biggest **** you to the cubs ever. not that it matters.

SOXSINCE'70
10-31-2006, 07:06 AM
So I take it you'd never have any interest in Derrek Lee? :?:

Paul Konerko is the first baseman for this team.
So,to answer your question,no thanks.

SOXSINCE'70
10-31-2006, 07:09 AM
the biggest **** you to the cubs ever.

The biggest "screw you" to the North Side Loo-sahs would
be the White Sox winning 2 or 3 more WS in the next few years.:cool:

Craig Grebeck
10-31-2006, 07:41 AM
Actually Wood could be a very nice option for an incentive based contract.

I don't want any ex-Diamondbacks on this team theri lozers!

ajismyhero
10-31-2006, 01:32 PM
IMO, Blanco would be a great back-up catcher. AJ needs more days off than he had last year and Blanco is good with pitchers and good offensively for a back-up catcher.

I agree with the post earlier that Stewart is still a few years away from being a starter.

goon
10-31-2006, 02:00 PM
The biggest "screw you" to the North Side Loo-sahs would
be the White Sox winning 2 or 3 more WS in the next few years.:cool:

excuse my exaggeration dot dot dot, you get the point.:smile:

russ99
10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
I really think that rushing Brian Anderson into the major leagues last year showed the Sox organization something about the perils of doing that, and they're not likely to do it with Stewart.

The Sox have a long and colorful history of rushing players to the big leagues, and I doubt it stops because of Anderson.

jenn2080
10-31-2006, 02:23 PM
IMO, Blanco would be a great back-up catcher. AJ needs more days off than he had last year and Blanco is good with pitchers and good offensively for a back-up catcher.

I agree with the post earlier that Stewart is still a few years away from being a starter.

I completely agree with you. I would take Blanco in a hot second. I do not care where he came from.