PDA

View Full Version : Perfect trade for the Sox

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 07:56 AM
With all the talk and seeing Buehrle wearing a Cards hat during the world series..

KW should trade him to the Cards for Adam Wainwright

Scottiehaswheels
10-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Please stop

oeo
10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
That's a perfect trade for the Cardinals.

Starting pitcher for a relief pitcher? Uh...no.

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 08:04 AM
Please stop

Hey if Buehrle wants to play for the Cards than we should ship his ass off to them...

LuvSox
10-30-2006, 08:04 AM
:threadsucks

Scottiehaswheels
10-30-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey if Buehrle wants to play for the Cards than we should ship his ass off to them...
Sure and do we also get a bucket of balls with Wainright? If so lets do it!

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 08:09 AM
That's a perfect trade for the Cardinals.

Starting pitcher for a relief pitcher? Uh...no.

Wainwright is going to be a starter for the Cards next year

Baby Fisk
10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
With all the talk and seeing Buehrle wearing a Cards hat during the world series..

But is that a "realistic prediction"? :?:

cbotnyse
10-30-2006, 09:22 AM
When someone starts one of these threads, I've never seen a "hey thats a good idea" post. Everyone is always so quick to say this thread sucks.

I at least give you credit for throwing it out there. And why all the MB love all of a sudden. His problems on the mound are a big reason we were not in the postseason. I have no opinion on the trade because I hate playng GM in the offseason, but its not a terrible idea.

oeo
10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
When someone starts one of these threads, I've never seen a "hey thats a good idea" post. Everyone is always so quick to say this thread sucks.

I at least give you credit for throwing it out there. And why all the MB love all of a sudden. His problems on the mound are a big reason we were not in the postseason. I have no opinion on the trade because I hate playng GM in the offseason, but its not a terrible idea.

Why shouldn't he get love? He's been our most consistent pitcher over the past 6 years...he should be getting more love than he's getting. He had an off year, so what?

We didn't get into the postseason because we didn't get a full year's worth of good pitching from any of our starters, our bullpen was awful, and we could not consistently put up runs when our pitching did show up. It was a team effort; it wasn't one or two guys that were 'a big reason'.

And Wainwright is a relief pitcher (a pretty good one at that), until he proves he's an effective starter. Buehrle is much more valuable than Wainwright.

munchman33
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM
I would trade Buehrle for a package of Wainwright and Eckstein. In a heartbeat. Lowers payroll, opens up a spot for McCarthy to start, gets us a shortstop that can lead off, and gives us a relief pitcher to fill McCarthy's role. And Wainwright can move into the rotation when the need occurs, and eventually for good (2008).

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2006, 09:53 AM

I at least give you credit for throwing it out there. And why all the MB love all of a sudden. His problems on the mound are a big reason we were not in the postseason. I have no opinion on the trade because I hate playng GM in the offseason, but its not a terrible idea.Yes it is.

cbotnyse
10-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Yes it is.why?

The point of my post wasnt to really back up the idea, but it just seems everyone is always so quick to denouce a trade idea. When was the last time you read a good trade idea? Like I said I hate playing GM here, but MB is tradeable, IMO.

hi im skot
10-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Anyone know where I can track down the guy who posted the picture of Buehrle in the Cardinals hat on his blog?

Thanks to that bull**** entry, we have to deal with even more "Buehrle is being traded to St. Louis" threads. I think we all owe this blogger a knuckle sandwich.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Anyone know where I can track down the guy who posted the picture of Buehrle in the Cardinals hat on his blog?

Thanks to that bull**** entry, we have to deal with even more "Buehrle is being traded to St. Louis" threads. I think we all owe this blogger a knuckle sandwich.
His name deserves to be forgotten. The "Buerhle to St. Louis" story rears its head every off-season and nothing comes of it.

DaleJRFan
10-30-2006, 10:58 AM

Unless the Cards want to throw in Anthony Reyes along with Wainright, this deal stinks. Even with adding Reyes, it still stinks.

Mark Buehrle is a White Sox and he will be the opening day starter for the forth year in a row (or is it five??).

Chez
10-30-2006, 11:13 AM
I would trade Buehrle for a package of Wainwright and Eckstein. In a heartbeat. Lowers payroll, opens up a spot for McCarthy to start, gets us a shortstop that can lead off, and gives us a relief pitcher to fill McCarthy's role. And Wainwright can move into the rotation when the need occurs, and eventually for good (2008).

I was going to propose this same trade before the World Series but expanding it to include Uribe and a couple of young Cardinals pitchers. After the Series, I don't think Eckstein is going anywhere.

SABRSox
10-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Buehrle is a White Sox staple. He isn't going anywhere.

chisoxmike
10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
You need to stop. I believe this is now the 9th thread since the end of the season you've started about a great trade idea or FA signing.

:threadsucks

getonbckthr
10-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes it is horrible for a guy to celebrate his childhood favorite winning a world series. The only justifiable punishment.........castration!!!

CLR01
10-30-2006, 11:45 AM
It is wonderful to know that KW is the Sox GM and not some of the people who throw out their trade "thoughts" here.

soxinem1
10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Why shouldn't he get love? He's been our most consistent pitcher over the past 6 years...he should be getting more love than he's getting. He had an off year, so what?

We didn't get into the postseason because we didn't get a full year's worth of good pitching from any of our starters, our bullpen was awful, and we could not consistently put up runs when our pitching did show up. It was a team effort; it wasn't one or two guys that were 'a big reason'.

And Wainwright is a relief pitcher (a pretty good one at that), until he proves he's an effective starter. Buehrle is much more valuable than Wainwright.

I'm sure the A's fans who were ticked about Mulder getting shipped off for Calero and Haren are not making the same statements now.

And not to get off topic, but I sense problems with the Buehrle situation as it stands.

When a pitcher who all of a sudden cannot find the strike zone, gives up a ton of hits, runs, homers, and loud hits, but claims not to be hurt. Hmmmm.

Let's face it, from right before the ASB until the end, MB made opposing hitters look too good. He threw some big looping pitches up there when he was supposedly making 'adjustments'. Off years are one thing, but to get totally hammered is another. He also has done a second half fade three years in a row.

His lack of effectiveness far exceeded the inconsistencies of the remaining starters, and in essence killed our chances of going to the post-season this year. The World Series was for the taking for the team that wanted it the most.

Sorry, but if STL wants to send Wainright and maybe Brad Thompson to the White Sox for him, then the thought of trading him should be at least be entertained. Wainright has not been a reliever that long, and an arm like that, with excellent control and stuff to boot, hey, I'd do it.

Gammons Peter
10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
You people crack me up, Wainwright isn't going anywhere, he is the crown jewel of their system and the Sox are not going to get him for Buehrle.

There is probably a similar thread on a Cards site saying lets trade Suppan for Brandon McCarthy and all the Card fans are saying "no way, we don't want a reliever for a starting pitcher"

soxinem1
10-30-2006, 12:11 PM
There is probably a similar thread on a Cards site saying lets trade Suppan for Brandon McCarthy and all the Card fans are saying "no way, we don't want a reliever for a starting pitcher"

I believe Suppan is a FA. KW always liked him, maybe he will be in Chicago next year.

chaerulez
10-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Who cares if MB was cheering for the Cards? I don't and I hate the Cards. It's like Mackowiak in 2005 when he was openly cheering for the Sox. Big deal.

getonbckthr
10-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Who cares if MB was cheering for the Cards? I don't and I hate the Cards. It's like Mackowiak in 2005 when he was openly cheering for the Sox. Big deal.
Ya but where did Mack play last season? Sorry you knew someone was gonna respond with it so I did it first with a taste of teal.

hi im skot
10-30-2006, 12:31 PM
The "Buerhle to St. Louis" story rears its head every off-season and nothing comes of it.

Exactly...but now it seems like we'll get even more.

Yippee.

thomas35forever
10-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Wainright is not going anywhere. How would you feel if we had traded Bobby Jenks after last year?

oeo
10-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm sure the A's fans who were ticked about Mulder getting shipped off for Calero and Haren are not making the same statements now.

And not to get off topic, but I sense problems with the Buehrle situation as it stands.

When a pitcher who all of a sudden cannot find the strike zone, gives up a ton of hits, runs, homers, and loud hits, but claims not to be hurt. Hmmmm.

Let's face it, from right before the ASB until the end, MB made opposing hitters look too good. He threw some big looping pitches up there when he was supposedly making 'adjustments'. Off years are one thing, but to get totally hammered is another. He also has done a second half fade three years in a row.

His lack of effectiveness far exceeded the inconsistencies of the remaining starters, and in essence killed our chances of going to the post-season this year. The World Series was for the taking for the team that wanted it the most.

Sorry, but if STL wants to send Wainright and maybe Brad Thompson to the White Sox for him, then the thought of trading him should be at least be entertained. Wainright has not been a reliever that long, and an arm like that, with excellent control and stuff to boot, hey, I'd do it.

The two do not go together? IMO, they do.

Trading Buehrle would be a mistake; a huge one, one of massive proportions.

Wainright is not going anywhere. How would you feel if we had traded Bobby Jenks after last year?

If Kenny was dumb enough to give them Buehrle for him, St. Louis would be stupid not to move him.

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Wainwright is going to be a pitching stud for the next 10 years or so..

If we don't resign Buehrle this offseason. He will be joining the Cards for the 08 season.

So anyone who thinks Wainwright is not a great pitcher let me here why...

soxinem1
10-30-2006, 12:41 PM
The two do not go together? IMO, they do.

Trading Buehrle would be a mistake; a huge one, one of massive proportions.

I respect your opinion, but would like to point this fact out:

Formerly a power pitcher, Fred Garcia made sucessful adjustments and actually salvaged a decent season. Always a finesse pitcher, Buerhle's adjustments led to worse things.

IMO, better to get something for him a year early that a year too late.

fquaye149
10-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I have never once seen a non-stupid trade "idea" on this message board.

This is certainly not bucking the trend. I understand the worry that Mark will go to St. Louis in free agency.

And you know what? He probably will. But that doesn't change the fact that this trade idea is

UNREALISTIC.

It may even turn out, after this season that it would have been great to have traded Buehrle for Wainright.

But it will not happen. It should not happen. And most importantly (have I said this yet?) it will not happen.

Scottiehaswheels
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Wainwright is going to be a pitching stud for the next 10 years or so..

If we don't resign Buehrle this offseason. He will be joining the Cards for the 08 season.

So anyone who thinks Wainwright is not a great pitcher let me here why...
Here is why...
We are not in the process of rebuilding a team.. we are in the process of tweaking a few things to get us back into the playoffs.. You don't trade an establised veteran in such instances, for a rookie phenom who has all of what, 4 months in the bigs? And how many sure fire pitching studs developed troubles with their arms in year 2 or 3... Plenty enough to be shy about doing an established vet for a rookie trade straight up I can tell you that.

kittle42
10-30-2006, 01:00 PM

This is certainly not bucking the trend.

I feel this is mostly because people only look at one side of their proposed trades, and rarely take into account contract length, salary, and whether team X actually has any interest in trading for the proposed Sox player.

fquaye149
10-30-2006, 01:06 PM
I feel this is mostly because people only look at one side of their proposed trades, and rarely take into account contract length, salary, and whether team X actually has any interest in trading for the proposed Sox player.

Very true. But what really boggles my mind is what do we gain from these trade ideas. Even if I came up with a very plausible one (you know, one that doesn't overrate the relative value of our players, one that doesn't make a team rebuild when they're not rebuilding, one that doesn't involve 8 players on one team for 2 players on teh other team, so on) what would be the point?

Do these people want a pat on the back for coming up with a plausible trade that will probably never happen, or if it does happen it was because it was the obvious move, the subject of rumors already, or whatever?

Actually, that's probably a question I know the answer to.

Whitesox4ever
10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Here is why...
We are not in the process of rebuilding a team.. we are in the process of tweaking a few things to get us back into the playoffs.. You don't trade an establised veteran in such instances, for a rookie phenom who has all of what, 4 months in the bigs? And how many sure fire pitching studs developed troubles with their arms in year 2 or 3... Plenty enough to be shy about doing an established vet for a rookie trade straight up I can tell you that.

How long was Bobby Jenks MLB experience but I bet you wouldn't trade him before the 06 season.

I don't think Wainwright is part of rebuilding process he would only make the Sox better. Probably even have a better season next year than Buehrle

Scottiehaswheels
10-30-2006, 01:40 PM
How long was Bobby Jenks MLB experience but I bet you wouldn't trade him before the 06 season.

I don't think Wainwright is part of rebuilding process he would only make the Sox better. Probably even have a better season next year than Buehrle
So in the first part you just answered your own question... The Cards won't want to trade Wainwright.. The second part of aquiring Wainright is yes it is a big difference because he is a relief pitcher not a starter... And as such you can't compare the 2... You also forget this guy pitches in the crappy NL with NL rules.. which lowers his ERA about .5... No I emphatically do not want to trade a guy like Mark for a guy like Wainwright straight up...

soxinem1
10-30-2006, 02:08 PM
So in the first part you just answered your own question... The Cards won't want to trade Wainwright.. The second part of aquiring Wainright is yes it is a big difference because he is a relief pitcher not a starter... And as such you can't compare the 2... You also forget this guy pitches in the crappy NL with NL rules.. which lowers his ERA about .5... No I emphatically do not want to trade a guy like Mark for a guy like Wainwright straight up...

The Cards didn't really want to trade Dan Haren either, but, as the old addage says, you have to give up something to get something. They wanted Mark Mulder, and they got him.

The Cards need more than one starter, they will need maybe 2-3 if Suppan leaves as a FA.

Jocketty will do what he can to get MB, either in time for the 2007 season or the 2008 one.

Chez
10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Dismissing the trade proposal as "stupid" ignores the fact that KW is already on record as saying that one of the starters will be traded to open a slot for McCarthy. Most Sox fans (including me) don't want to trade MB, but given the fact that somebody is going, why not explore options with a suitable trade partner like the Cardinals? The Cards have young, cheap pitching to trade and we've got a surplus of starting pitching.

JUribe1989
10-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Well we know Buehrle isn't going to re-sign to a long term extension, so I would completely be in favor of a trade for Adam Wainwright especially because I think Wainwright is going to be a stud of a starter and Buehrle is coming off of his worst year. That being said, I don't think the Cardinals would do it in a million years.

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Well we know Buehrle isn't going to re-sign to a long term extension, so I would completely be in favor of a trade for Adam Wainwright especially because I think Wainwright is going to be a stud of a starter and Buehrle is coming off of his worst year. That being said, I don't think the Cardinals would do it in a million years.We do? How do we know this?:?: Do we have a crystall ball? Or did you hear it from Miss Cleo?

:cleo Answers to all questions can be had. For $10 each.

spiffie
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Buehrle isn't going anywhere now unless it is to bring some major talent back to the Sox, something akin to Tejada or Rodriguez. However, if come July 31 Kenny Williams doesn't think Mark is willing to resign I wouldn't be surprised to see him shipped off somewhere. But right now it would be silly to ship him when his value is at its lowest since not only is he coming into his walk year, but he pitched like a giant pile of steaming **** for the entire second half. Better to wait, hope he gets it back together, and re-assess in July.

Sox Fan 35
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM

I really can't wait for the start of spring training. That trade is a horrible idea.

Domeshot17
10-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow, Talk about Over Value of one player.

Buehlre for Wainright, mayybbeee not, but whoever said they would turn down Buehlre for Wainright and REYES, you have got to be f'in kidding me.

You could have a future 3 of Wainright Reyes and Brandon, all 3 will be frontline starters possibly, cheap, young, and you can spend buehlres 9 mil on mulder or zito (especially if you could also move vazquez or freddy).

For all the crap about Buehlre having an off year, it is just as plausible that American League hitters figured out how to hit his junk.

Im not saying jump on this trade, but in 2008 you have no Buehlre, or Buehlre at something around 13 million a season, or you have 2 pitchers, both probably as good as Buehlre, younger, making about 4 million combined, ITS A NO FREAKING BRAINER.

I love Buehlre, Always been one of my favorite pitchers, although I have always felt he doesnt have the [EDIT DIDNT LIKE HOW I WORDED THIS) fire to be a number 1 starter, best off as a 2, because he doesnt seem to be that stopper that gets you out of funk. you have to seriously consider a trade for him if it brought back this much starting pitching potential.

oeo
10-30-2006, 06:35 PM
Wow, Talk about Over Value of one player.

Buehlre for Wainright, mayybbeee not, but whoever said they would turn down Buehlre for Wainright and REYES, you have got to be f'in kidding me.

You could have a future 3 of Wainright Reyes and Brandon, all 3 will be frontline starters possibly, cheap, young, and you can spend buehlres 9 mil on mulder or zito (especially if you could also move vazquez or freddy).

For all the crap about Buehlre having an off year, it is just as plausible that American League hitters figured out how to hit his junk.

Im not saying jump on this trade, but in 2008 you have no Buehlre, or Buehlre at something around 13 million a season, or you have 2 pitchers, both probably as good as Buehlre, younger, making about 4 million combined, ITS A NO FREAKING BRAINER.

I love Buehlre, Always been one of my favorite pitchers, although I have always felt he doesnt have the gull to be a number 1 starter, best off as a 2, you have to seriously consider a trade for him if it brought back this much starting pitching potential.

It doesn't take six years for hitters to figure out a pitcher...especially when he, according to you, throws junk.

Buehrle got lit up last year because he didn't locate effectively...not because he throws 'junk', or is injured, or whatever other excuse people want to come up with. It's called having an off year...you're not one of the better left-handed pitchers in the game, and then suddenly (and this is sudden) fall off and are no longer effective at all. It doesn't make sense, and I'd like you to give me one reason why it does. If he had only one or maybe two years under his belt and had a season like this, I would begin to worry...but the guy has been consistent over five straight years; you don't just lose it, at least not at his age.

Domeshot17
10-30-2006, 06:46 PM
OEO

I completely agree, he could very well have had an off year, but you also cant just figure he will be fine this year. Whatever he was doing, tipping pitches, changing arm slots, over throwing, its causing him to not be able to locate. And he pretty much is a combination of a finesse pitcher and a junk baller. When he can locate, he will put a mid 80s fastball where you cant touch it, then get you to chase something with wild movement out of the zone. I guess my point was Its easier to figure out a way to hit a guy like that then it is to figure out how to hit a guy throwing mid 90s with a sharp breaking ball and good change up. College hitters can hammer a mislocated 80 mph fastball. Without his location, Buehlre=5th SP at best.

We have no idea if he will find it next year. If he does great, but even then is he worth the huge money he will command as an FA?

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2006, 08:02 PM
OEO

I completely agree, he could very well have had an off year, but you also cant just figure he will be fine this year. Whatever he was doing, tipping pitches, changing arm slots, over throwing, its causing him to not be able to locate. And he pretty much is a combination of a finesse pitcher and a junk baller. When he can locate, he will put a mid 80s fastball where you cant touch it, then get you to chase something with wild movement out of the zone. I guess my point was Its easier to figure out a way to hit a guy like that then it is to figure out how to hit a guy throwing mid 90s with a sharp breaking ball and good change up. College hitters can hammer a mislocated 80 mph fastball. Without his location, Buehlre=5th SP at best.

We have no idea if he will find it next year. If he does great, but even then is he worth the huge money he will command as an FA?Who were the winningest pitchers in baseball last year? Most of them don't throw smoke. Guys like Kenny Rogers and Greg Maddux have made pretty nice careers without throwing any harder then Mark Buehrle. Pitching is not about velocity, it's about deception. It's not how hard you throw, it's how much of a difference in speed you have between pitches and how well you disguise it. A guy who can vary between 90 and 80 without tipping the pitch is going to be a lot more effective than a guy who throws a 95 mph fastball without much to go with it.

Dibbs
10-30-2006, 08:16 PM
You people crack me up, Wainwright isn't going anywhere, he is the crown jewel of their system and the Sox are not going to get him for Buehrle.

I love Buehrle as much as anyone....but this thread cracked me up too. No way the Cardinals would consider trading Wainright for Mark (unless we included B-M-A-C).

WizardsofOzzie
10-30-2006, 08:29 PM
First of all I'd like to thank Whitesox4ever for inspiring me to add onto my sig, and second of all

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6365/thisthreadblowsxc9.jpg

WizardsofOzzie
10-30-2006, 08:31 PM

This is certainly not bucking the trend. I understand the worry that Mark will go to St. Louis in free agency.

And you know what? He probably will. But that doesn't change the fact that this trade idea is

UNREALISTIC.

It may even turn out, after this season that it would have been great to have traded Buehrle for Wainright.

But it will not happen. It should not happen. And most importantly (have I said this yet?) it will not happen.
But it worked in my franchise mode on MVP 2006!!!!

munchman33
10-30-2006, 10:00 PM
First of all I'd like to thank Whitesox4ever for inspiring me to add onto my sig

Wainwright is going to be a stud. He very well could be better than Buehrle next year. In fact, unless Buehrle can figure out what's wrong (something he failed to do for an entire half a season this year), it's highly probable Wainwright will be better next year.

esbrechtel
10-30-2006, 10:05 PM
:deadhorse:
stop the trade to the cards threads...

fquaye149
10-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Wainwright is going to be a stud. He very well could be better than Buehrle next year. In fact, unless Buehrle can figure out what's wrong (something he failed to do for an entire half a season this year), it's highly probable Wainwright will be better next year.

Yup. Throw it out. Wainright had a pretty good playoffs.

If Wainright has 2 years like Buehrle's 2004-2005 the Cardinals will be pissing their panties.

Whitesox4ever
10-31-2006, 06:24 AM
from today's trib

The decision means Buehrle will remain with the Sox for now, although the team still could trade him in an effort to acquire younger pitching talent while making room for Brandon McCarthy in the rotation.

Geez doesn't Wainwright fall under this situation about young pitching talent..

So alot of you might think this thread blows but it is a possibility that MB could be traded for a young pitching stud..

I hope MB does signed an extension but wont be shocked if he is traded

Whitesox4ever
10-31-2006, 06:40 AM
First of all I'd like to thank Whitesox4ever for inspiring me to add onto my sig, and second of all

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6365/thisthreadblowsxc9.jpg

Wainwright sure had a way better season than Buehrle this year... Maybe next time you should take a better look at the stats instead of the names involved

fquaye149
10-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Wainwright sure had a way better season than Buehrle this year... Maybe next time you should take a better look at the stats instead of the names involved

Do you follow baseball?

fquaye149
10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
from today's trib

The decision means Buehrle will remain with the Sox for now, although the team still could trade him in an effort to acquire younger pitching talent while making room for Brandon McCarthy in the rotation.

So alot of you might think this thread blows but it is a possibility that MB could be traded for a young pitching stud..

You mean because the Tribune said it you think THAT gives your idea validity?

There is a possibility Buehrle would be traded. THere is a possibility he would be traded for young talent. But an established pitcher who just two years ago started the all star game, an established pitcher who is not yet 28, an established pitcher who is left handed, is not going to be traded for ONE bullpen arm who had ONE good year.

Do you follow baseball?

Jjav829
10-31-2006, 10:02 AM
from today's trib

Why would the Cardinals trade a promising young pitcher like Wainwright to get Buehrle when they could just sign him next year if Buehrle really wants to be a Cardinal?

This is one of those trades that doesn't really make much sense for either team. We don't need to add another pitcher to our rotation who would be making the transition back to starter after spending a season relieving when we're trying to win now. The Cardinals don't need to get older and trade a young pitcher who they'll control for 5 more years for an older pitcher coming off a bad year who is only under contract for one more year.

Whitesox4ever
10-31-2006, 10:08 AM
You mean because the Tribune said it you think THAT gives your idea validity?

There is a possibility Buehrle would be traded. THere is a possibility he would be traded for young talent. But an established pitcher who just two years ago started the all star game, an established pitcher who is not yet 28, an established pitcher who is left handed, is not going to be traded for ONE bullpen arm who had ONE good year.

Do you follow baseball?

The question is do you follow baseball dude..

Wainwright is going to be a starter next season for the Cards... He had only one good season because he was a rookie.. So I guess that means you wouldn't trade Buehrle for Francisico Liriano if he was healthy since he had one good season as well..

Alot of people in Oakland were saying the exact same thing when Mulder got traded a few years ago but i'm sure the A's fans are happy now with Haren.

Ol' No. 2
10-31-2006, 10:16 AM

Wainwright is going to be a starter next season for the Cards... He had only one good season because he was a rookie.. So I guess that means you wouldn't trade Buehrle for Francisico Liriano if he was healthy since he had one good season as well..

Alot of people in Oakland were saying the exact same thing when Mulder got traded a few years ago but i'm sure the A's fans are happy now with Haren.Adam Wainwright is the flavor of the month. He might become Cy Young. He might become Kip Wells. If you think you know which will happen, you're kidding yourself. If you're rebuilding, he's your guy, but if you're planning on winning now, you stay with the proven commodity.

A year ago you could have had David Ekstein for a bag of balls. Now he's the flavor of the month, too.

spiffie
10-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Adam Wainwright is the flavor of the month. He might become Cy Young. He might become Kip Wells. If you think you know which will happen, you're kidding yourself. If you're rebuilding, he's your guy, but if you're planning on winning now, you stay with the proven commodity.

Does this apply to our plan to trade one of our All-Star starters in order to put a 23 year old with 12 career starts into the rotation?

oeo
10-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Does this apply to our plan to trade one of our All-Star starters in order to put a 23 year old with 12 career starts into the rotation?

No, McCarthy is already on the Sox, it's totally different. If McCarthy were on the Cardinals and we were talking about trading Buehrle for McCarthy, there's no way I make that move either.

Plus, I would not want both Wainwright and McCarthy in our rotation next year...that's just too much to ask for.

WizardsofOzzie
10-31-2006, 11:56 AM

Alot of people in Oakland were saying the exact same thing when Mulder got traded a few years ago but i'm sure the A's fans are happy now with Haren.
No i would not trade a proven veteran for someone we have only seen pitch for 6 months. Buehrle had one bad year and everyone is ready to jump ship. Thome had one bad year and look what he did for us last year. Im really going to enjoy watching you eat your words next year

WizardsofOzzie
10-31-2006, 11:59 AM
At least someone else realizes that when you are in contention for the playoffs such as we are, you don't trade a man who has up till this year been one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball, for a man who up till this point we know really nothing about. So Wainright been a good pitcher so far in his career.....so was this guy http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/media/mlb/2003/0930/photo/g_wood_il.jpg