PDA

View Full Version : Crede article on front page...

MattSharp
03-03-2002, 11:41 PM
The comparison with Lowell is right on. I totally agree that you can compare these two. I can't figure out why he won't get a shot. Maybe they are scared he won't be as good as they were boasting for a while.

As Robin's heir I think that he has big shoes to fill.

Robin was one of the most loved players for the Sox and that's what makes it tougher.

I am gonna be really pissed if he doesn't get his shot this year...

LongDistanceFan
03-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
The comparison with Lowell is right on. I totally agree that you can compare these two. I can't figure out why he won't get a shot. Maybe they are scared he won't be as good as they were boasting for a while.

As Robin's heir I think that he has big shoes to fill.

Robin was one of the most loved players for the Sox and that's what makes it tougher.

i like the >>> the lovable Royce Clayton at short <<<<< i was laughing hard when i read that.........

good job

Jerry_Manuel
03-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Prepare to be pissed.

:crede
Back to Charlotte I go.

RedPinStripes
03-04-2002, 12:12 AM
:crede
"One of these days I'm going to go postal"

kermittheefrog
03-04-2002, 12:42 AM
What nobody else thinks Clayton is lovable? :)

RedPinStripes
03-04-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
What nobody else thinks Clayton is lovable? :)

Where's the teal?

FarWestChicago
03-04-2002, 12:52 AM
What nobody else thinks Clayton is lovable? :) Uh oh, I hope this doesn't set off any of the Friends. :smile:

kermittheefrog
03-04-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Where's the teal?

Teal takes out some of the fun, what good is sarcasm if there are no fools out there to take it seriously?

RedPinStripes
03-04-2002, 12:58 AM

Teal takes out some of the fun, what good is sarcasm if there are no fools out there to take it seriously?

You have a good point there.

duke of dorwood
03-04-2002, 09:31 AM
We are NOT world series contenders. If we were, then maybe not playing Joe would be justified. It would be nice to have that position solidified for the day we may be a Series contender.

:reinsy

Welcome to Fantasy Island

:KW

That makes me "tatoo"

duke of dorwood
03-04-2002, 09:32 AM
:hitless

Hey, that's Clayton Island

Jjav829
03-04-2002, 10:28 AM
Good article. I completely agree that Lowell is the best comparison to Crede. Last year I was trying to think of which 3B Crede would be closest to in the bigs, and Mike Lowell was the guy I thought of.

I sure hope this isn't a case where Joe Crede isn't one of KW's guys so hes never going to make the bigs with us and we're going to end up seeing him traded for some mediocore pitcher near the trade deadline.

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I sure hope this isn't a case where Joe Crede isn't one of KW's guys so hes never going to make the bigs with us and we're going to end up seeing him traded for some mediocore pitcher near the trade deadline.

It's not.

Joe has run into some bad luck. 2000 should have been his time but Schu went out and brought in Perry. As we know Herbert had a great 2000, which forced the Sox to bring him back for 2001. Throw in the Clayton deal, and the you have a big log jam on the left side of the infield. So Joe was SOL for 2000 and 2001. This year it's just Clayton in his way.

rmusacch
03-04-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan

i like the >>> the lovable Royce Clayton at short <<<<< i was laughing hard when i read that.........

good job

You mention TPR and say that Crede compares to Lowell? How? The only piece of solid evidence you put out there is that Crede, if, and a big if, he starts at third for the Sox next year, will be the same age as Lowell when he got his break? How do you figure? How is TPR calculated? Is it another B.S. stat that Bill James has come up with?

rmusacch
03-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

It's not.

Joe has run into some bad luck. 2000 should have been his time but Schu went out and brought in Perry. As we know Herbert had a great 2000, which forced the Sox to bring him back for 2001. Throw in the Clayton deal, and the you have a big log jam on the left side of the infield. So Joe was SOL for 2000 and 2001. This year it's just Clayton in his way.

Well, obviously someone upstairs does not like him or they would not keep bringing in these players to block his way. I wish they would just give him a chance, so we can see if he is worth a **** or sucks.

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Well, obviously someone upstairs does not like him or they would not keep bringing in these players to block his way. I wish they would just give him a chance, so we can see if he is worth a **** or sucks.

That might be the case but their hands are tied. After the year Perry had in 2000, it wasn't a tough call to decide to bring him back. Williams has been trying to trade Clayton but hasn't been able to find any takers. We know that Reinsdorf won't buy out his contract, so it's one more year in AAA for Joe.

kermittheefrog
03-04-2002, 12:49 PM

You mention TPR and say that Crede compares to Lowell? How? The only piece of solid evidence you put out there is that Crede, if, and a big if, he starts at third for the Sox next year, will be the same age as Lowell when he got his break? How do you figure? How is TPR calculated? Is it another B.S. stat that Bill James has come up with?

My point was to take a look at players who got their break at 25 and see what I came up with. Just to see if anything interesting came up. And it interested me that Lowell, a guy who would normally compare Crede to showed up. I didn't even expect to even find a good comp for Crede in the group.

As for TPR, it was created by Pete Palmer, not Bill James. I'm not going to recopy how it's calculated from Total Baseball. If you really care how it's calculated as opposed to giving me **** then take a look at a copy of Total Baseball in your local library or bookstore and while you're doing that I won't have to read any of your cranky posts.

LongDistanceFan
03-04-2002, 03:26 PM

You mention TPR and say that Crede compares to Lowell? How? The only piece of solid evidence you put out there is that Crede, if, and a big if, he starts at third for the Sox next year, will be the same age as Lowell when he got his break? How do you figure? How is TPR calculated? Is it another B.S. stat that Bill James has come up with? i am sorry but you got me mixed up with somebody else........... i only posted about clayton my being lovable in the article......

kermittheefrog
03-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i am sorry but you got me mixed up with somebody else........... i only posted about clayton my being lovable in the article......

Don't worry about it LDF, he was just trolling me.

LongDistanceFan
03-04-2002, 03:48 PM

Don't worry about it LDF, he was just trolling me. k :D:

cornball
03-04-2002, 05:26 PM
Nice article...and true...this kid deserves a chance. I hope he gets on soon. I still wonder why they wouldn't play him much after he was called up late last year.

Jerry_Manuel
03-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I still wonder why they wouldn't play him much after he was called up late last year.

Because it proved nothing, Williams knew he couldn't trade Clayton thus being stuck with him for one more year. So sure they could have played Joe 20 games at the end of the year, but what would that prove? They still wouldn't have been able to deal Clayton.

RedPinStripes
03-04-2002, 06:11 PM

My point was to take a look at players who got their break at 25 and see what I came up with. Just to see if anything interesting came up. And it interested me that Lowell, a guy who would normally compare Crede to showed up. I didn't even expect to even find a good comp for Crede in the group.

As for TPR, it was created by Pete Palmer, not Bill James. I'm not going to recopy how it's calculated from Total Baseball. If you really care how it's calculated as opposed to giving me **** then take a look at a copy of Total Baseball in your local library or bookstore and while you're doing that I won't have to read any of your cranky posts.

Yeah!!!! Let em have it kermit! lol

Good article.

Daver
03-04-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Because it proved nothing, Williams knew he couldn't trade Clayton thus being stuck with him for one more year. So sure they could have played Joe 20 games at the end of the year, but what would that prove? They still wouldn't have been able to deal Clayton.

That has nothing to do with the fact that both Perry and Valentin limped into the offseason nursing injuries which could have been given a lot of rest by playing Crede as opposed to sitting him.Either the Sox were making sure he did not play too many innings to be eligible for ROTY(which is the reason Buerhle was ineligible),or they suspected he would not have a spot on the team this season.

But then again what the hell do I know? &copy;