10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
A bullheaded, oft-injured pitcher?

I'll pass.

Palehose13
10-29-2006, 08:12 PM
just say no

Whitesox4ever
10-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Actually if he could sign him to an incentive deal.. He just might be worth a shot..

SABRSox
10-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Actually if he could sign him to an incentive deal.. He just might be worth a shot..

Yeah, and he has to pitch out of the bullpen. Then it's worth a shot.

CallMeNuts
10-29-2006, 08:35 PM

Agree. But only if Coop says he can fix him, and he's willing to spend all his time in the pen.

TheOldRoman
10-29-2006, 08:36 PM
If the Sox could sign him to a league minimum contract with the understanding that he would use the first few months of the season to completely heal up, and then fight for a spot in the bullpen, it would be very much worth it. He has been mediocre over his career, but he does have talent.
However, someone will be dumb enough to step up with a giant contract based on his potential. Blue Jays... Rangers... I'm looking in your direction.

peeonwrigley
10-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Agree. But only if Coop says he can fix him, and he's willing to spend all his time in the pen.

Wood has made it clear in the past he doesn't want to be "fixed."

Unless he's willing to listen to someone's input on his mechanics... no thanks.

Whitesox4ever
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
If the Sox could sign him to a league minimum contract with the understanding that he would use the first few months of the season to completely heal up, and then fight for a spot in the bullpen, it would be very much worth it. He has been mediocre over his career, but he does have talent.
However, someone will be dumb enough to step up with a giant contract based on his potential. Blue Jays... Rangers... I'm looking in your direction.

I also think that the Rangers will over spend to get him

FedEx227
10-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Wood has made it clear in the past he doesn't want to be "fixed."

Unless he's willing to listen to someone's input on his mechanics... no thanks.

Exactly. Coop can only fix guys willing to be fixed. Wood is perfectly content the way he is, and frankly I wouldn't touch him the way he is.

The only way I would like to see the Sox take him is as other people said incentive-laced, minor-league, fight for your spot type deal.

With that being said, as people said, some stupid team will pay him a boat-load of money based on a game 8 years ago (aka the Rangers) so more power to them as they continue to rot in the AL West.

Brian26
10-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Do any of you wish that KW signs him to a deal

There used to be an unwritten rule between the Sox and Cubs that the two teams wouldn't pursue each other's free agents. I don't know if that still exists (this doesn't count trades or fringe players ie Kevin Tapani).

I had a sick feeling thinking about Mags signing with them in '05 (no matter how hard the Trib pressed that issue), and I have a feeling that Cub fans would cringe at the thought of Wood being successful in a Sox uniform.

Edit- I guess Jamie Navarro could be considered an exception to this rule.

1951Campbell
10-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Pass.

And then pass again once more for good measure, because it's such a bad idea.

soxjim
10-29-2006, 10:47 PM
If Wood is willing to listen then maybe. He would need to earn a roster spot and earn his keep.

DumpJerry
10-29-2006, 10:56 PM
put this down:
:bong:
.........and let these people do their job:
:tealpolice:

thomas35forever
10-29-2006, 11:33 PM
Sure. Then maybe we can trade Broadway and Haeger for Liriano.

chisoxmike
10-30-2006, 12:27 AM

NO

munchman33
10-30-2006, 12:37 AM

Only if Haeger makes the team. If he does, Charlotte's gonna need some arms.

SOXSINCE'70
10-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Absolutely,positively not.
No a million times!!

jenn2080
10-30-2006, 08:15 AM
Hold on let me think about it.......Hmmmmm No!

cbotnyse
10-30-2006, 08:20 AM
worth a try, I think. :)

tebman
10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Absolutely,positively not.
No a million times!!

What he said. Always hurt, convinced that he doesn't need to change anything, Cub/Tribune/WGN baggage -- absolutely not.

Baby Fisk
10-30-2006, 09:42 AM
It's not that Wood is a stubborn mule and refuses to change the way he pitches (with abysmal results), it's that he's oblivious to the abysmal results he's getting by not changing the way he pitches. Maybe after a few more years of destroying his value, he'll learn some humility. For now, no thanks.

jdm2662
10-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Ahhhhhh no. Most overrated/overhyped pitcher in my lifetime. The only thing cool about him: he was born on the same day as me.

russ99
10-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Exactly. Coop can only fix guys willing to be fixed. Wood is perfectly content the way he is, and frankly I wouldn't touch him the way he is.

The only way I would like to see the Sox take him is as other people said incentive-laced, minor-league, fight for your spot type deal.

With that being said, as people said, some stupid team will pay him a boat-load of money based on a game 8 years ago (aka the Rangers) so more power to them as they continue to rot in the AL West.

I doubt that Wood would get a big offer, since he'd most likely fail a physical required to sign such a big contract. I see a Wade Miller-like low risk offer being made by someone, and it's doubtful the Sox would have any interest.

vegyrex
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
Only if Wood paid the Sox 2.5 million. :D:

Otherwise pass on the over hyped pitcher with the cardboard arm.

infohawk
10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I know, how about we sign Kerry Wood and bring in Steve Stone as a pitching consultant to work solely with Kerry on rebuilding his mechanics?

In all seriousness, I don't think a Kerry Wood acquisition would be practical. Even if he came cheap, he would be unhappy pitching out of the bullpen and could very well complain and be a distraction to the team.

chisoxmike
10-30-2006, 12:28 PM
I wish I could live off one great moment in my life like Kerry Wood does.

DumpJerry
10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
I know, how about we sign Kerry Wood and bring in Steve Stone as a pitching consultant to work solely with Kerry on rebuilding his mechanics?

In all seriousness, I don't think a Kerry Wood acquisition would be practical. Even if he came cheap, he would be unhappy pitching out of the bullpen and could very well complain and be a distraction to the team.

:tealtutor:

Baby Fisk
10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I wish I could live off one great moment in my life like Kerry Wood does.

Just imagine...

http://www.tennessee.gov/tenncare/images/teen%20on%20phone.jpg
"Hello, boss manager? Yeah, I'm not going to be able to come to work this week. I felt a twinge in my arm again. Not a pain, but a twinge. No, it's not stiff, but it's twingy. I checked with the doctor and he said I should take it easy and not rush back. Yeah, I know it's year end and things are really busy over there, but remember that time I made 20 sales in one day? Yeah, that was freakin awesome wasn't it? Ah, thanks man! I'll give you a call next month and let you know how I'm doing. You're the best boss in the world. Peace bro. Ciao."

WizardsofOzzie
10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
I don't want him within breathing room of the sox clubhouse. I can only imagine what he would do to mess it up. "Did you guys know that you can still get paid for doing nothing if you have ****ty mechanics and refuse to fix them???!!"

fquaye149
10-30-2006, 02:11 PM
If Kenny decides to sign him it will mean he knows something we don't---that Coop thinks that he can fix him, that he met with Wood and Wood says he will allow himself to be coached, that the deal is a favorable and intelligent one that doesn't imply that the Sox are hinging their success (and payroll)on Wood being healthy.

So if we do sign him, I won't be opposed, because I don't expect that KW is a moron. He knows everything we do about Wood, and probably a whole lot more.

But only knowing what we do know, no way would I sign him, except to a minor league contract (which is not bloody likely).

Risk
10-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Negative.

Risk

AZChiSoxFan
10-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Only if Haeger makes the team. If he does, Charlotte's gonna need some arms.

:rolling:

PaulDrake
10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Pass.

And then pass again once more for good measure, because it's such a bad idea. I was scanning the list of posts here trying to find one that suited me best and yours won.