PDA

View Full Version : Dave Roberts New Lead Off Man?

Lip Man 1
10-28-2006, 08:36 PM
According to his agent it very well could be...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-061028sox,1,6279094.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

Scottiehaswheels
10-28-2006, 08:48 PM
He's only 34? God I thought he was a ton older than that... worth a look I guess.. depending on price

psyclonis
10-28-2006, 08:53 PM
would rather have Pierre...

oeo
10-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Personally, I'm not really interested. At 34, he's going to be on the decline pretty soon. He had a great year last year, but I have a hard time believing he can repeat that in the AL Central.

Thanks, but no thanks.

ViPeRx007
10-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Personally, I'm not really interested. At 34, he's going to be on the decline pretty soon. He had a great year last year, but I have a hard time believing he can repeat that in the AL Central.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Agreed. I'd rather have a guy on the opposite end of that spectrum; someone on the rise.

I realize that's easier said than done though.

beckett21
10-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I think we'd all love Carl Crawford, but realistically the Sox could do worse than Roberts.

I'd like him even more as a 4th OF.

BanditJimmy
10-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Better OBP than Pierre.

Only 6 Caught stealing
and 13 3Bs

I like the idea because it will not break the bank for us (as it would for Pierre or Matthews).

His glove is not bad either.

Corlose 15
10-28-2006, 10:07 PM
How many of those triples are due to him playing at Petco?

Corlose 15
10-28-2006, 10:07 PM

Corlose 15
10-28-2006, 10:08 PM

Frater Perdurabo
10-28-2006, 10:17 PM
and 13 3Bs

I think he might have a hard time hitting 13 triples playing 81 games in the Cell.

Still, he's not a bad option in left if the Sox can't acquire Ichiro, Crawford, Young or Pierre to lead off.

Palehose13
10-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I think he might have a hard time hitting 13 triples playing 81 games in the Cell.

Still, he's not a bad option in left if the Sox can't acquire Ichiro, Crawford, Young or Pierre to lead off.

I agree with you almost completely. I don't agree with Pierre. IMO, he's a more expensive version of Podsednik. I'd rather have Pods at 2 mil than Pierre at 4-5 times that,

samram
10-28-2006, 10:24 PM

Speaking of triples....:D:

I don't know. He'd probably get a two year deal which would allow the Sweeney-Anderson-Fields situation, if there is one, to work itself out with one of them ready, perhaps Sweeney, ready to hit leadoff. Sure, if KW can bring in Crawford, I'm all for that, but a guy like Pierre will be looking for 3-4 years at $7-$9 million a year. I'm not sure that's a great value.

CLR01
10-28-2006, 10:29 PM
If Roberts is the backup plan why not just stick with Pods?

Mohoney
10-28-2006, 10:38 PM
If Roberts is the backup plan why not just stick with Pods?

Amen. Why not gamble that Pods can get it done?

Roberts is a pretty lateral move, if you ask me.

Palehose13
10-28-2006, 10:42 PM

Yep. I think Pierre is pretty lateral too. Just cause one makes more money does not mean he is a better player.

jabrch
10-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Roberts is always injured. He never plays a full season. I'll pass thanks. I'd rather stick with Pods or go to Sweeney if that's the best option.

ondafarm
10-29-2006, 01:54 AM
In reality, the White Sox need to have two servicable lead-off men. I think signing Roberts and training one of the next generation of outfielders to be a lead-off man is the White Sox solution. Who that next generation outfielder is is subject to question.

SABRSox
10-29-2006, 02:00 AM
I'd prefer Gary Matthews Jr. to all of those guys. But yeah, Pods is about the same as Roberts.

goon
10-29-2006, 02:49 AM
49 stolen bases, bunting ability and solid defense are great, but it isn't an upgrade over a healthy podsednik, unless scott phones it in like last year. what's the difference really?

just get crawford.

Lillian
10-29-2006, 03:58 AM
He's only 34? God I thought he was a ton older than that... worth a look I guess.. depending on price

He turns 35 this Spring. That makes him 4 years older than Pods.
I understand that he is a better outfielder than Pods, and he strikes out less, while still drawing plenty of walks. What kind of an arm does he have?
His stolen base success rate is very impressive.

They are both free agents, so the question is who would you pick?
I'd rather have him than Pods, in the short run, but his age suggests that he is certainly not a long term solution as a lead off man. But then I suspect that this team will look a lot different in a couple of years anyway.

Grzegorz
10-29-2006, 05:23 AM
The first thing the Chicago White Sox need to do is assess Podesednik's play this year. I know it has been subpar, but is the reason due to the lingering effects of the hernia surgery, or does he have a problem picking up the baseball that can be remedied by corrective lenses? (A popular theory posed by some on this board during the season.)

Whether the issue(s) are mental or physical I'd hedge:

If it is a physical problem then try to correct the issue(s) before the season starts and make sure he's ready to go in spring training. If the physical problems persist look for a replacement.

If mental not physical that would be a much tougher call; I'd look to resolve his issue(s) while pursuing leadoff guy.

Roberts might be that guy; whether he hits thirteen or he hits three triples doesn't matter. He has to get on base, pressure the opposition to keep him close so he doesn't steal a base improving the probability of distracting the pitcher from concentrating on the hitter, and he has to play defense.

We're looking at a one to two year stopgap here. If Roberts is that guy, sign him and figure out what conditioning program can be incorporated to keep the probability of him getting injured down.

As for Crawford what are you willing to give up to get a guy who is now comfortable batting third and moving him into the leadoff spot. What effect would the move be of Crawford?

I am not willing to mortgage the future (the farm system is thin as is) on Carl Crawford. This would be the classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I believe Ichiro would be the *much* better fit. But again, at what price?

CLR01
10-29-2006, 05:53 AM
or does he have a problem picking up the baseball that can be remedied by corrective lenses? (A popular theory posed by some on this board during the season.)

If by some you mean Hangar and by popular you mean stupid.

Cuck_The_Fubs
10-29-2006, 06:17 AM
The Sox already have a damn good back up leadoff man:

GO PABLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaleJRFan
10-29-2006, 06:17 AM
I am not willing to mortgage the future (the farm system is thin as is) on Carl Crawford. This would be the classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I believe Ichiro would be the *much* better fit. But again, at what price?

So... Carl Crawford is too expensive but Ichiro isn't? If the Sox traded for Ichiro, not only would they have to give up TWO starters (probably Garland and McCarthy), but it would be for only one year of his play. And then what?? You mortgage the future for one year of Ichiro and *hope* to sign him to an extention? He'll command something around 15 million a year at career ages 35, 36 & 37.

Crawford may not hit 330, but he'll hit 300, he's younger, cheaper and signed for four more years.

Crawford:
2.5M in 2006
4M in 2007
5.25M in 2008
includes Team Option for 2009 at 8.25M or 2.5M buyout
if 2009 option exercised, Team Option for 2010 at 10M or 1.25M buyout
2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators

Ichiro:
11M in 2007
??? in 2008 +

It'd be kick ass to have the best hitter in baseball leading off for the Sox, but I'd rather see the team spend $$$ on pitching. Carl Crawford would make the top of the lineup scary... he'd be here for at least 3 (or possibly 4) more seasons, he would cost less in trade and he is 9 years younger.

We all love to clammer for our favorite players on WSI... and every offseason, there's a new debate. Last year it was Roger Clemens. The year before, Randy Johnson. This year its ARod & Ichiro. Let's be realistic. Would you rather have Ichiro running all over the outfield after gappers served up by the likes of David Riske and Luis Vizcaino... or would you rather have a shutdown BP and someone like Crawford in LF?

Danryan
10-29-2006, 06:27 AM
I don't know why everyone insists on replaceing Pods. If he doesn't return to form after the first two months then go out and find someone. I think all our resources should go to rebuilding our bullpen.

Grzegorz
10-29-2006, 06:41 AM
So... Carl Crawford is too expensive but Ichiro isn't?

I believe that pitching is the number one issue plain and simple. I am just addressing the current subject of getting a high priced leadoff man.

I asked at what price didn't I? I believe, and it is my own personal opinion, that Ichiro is the better ballplayer of the two.

I stress again that I didn't say that the CWS should get him, I am just wondering what price the CWS would have to pay to get him.

southside rocks
10-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Agreed. I'd rather have a guy on the opposite end of that spectrum; someone on the rise.

I realize that's easier said than done though.

It might be that the Sox have that "someone on the rise" in Ryan Sweeney, and just need a year or so until he's established -- not wanting to rush him as BA was rushed along last year.

In that case, Robert could be a very good 1-year or 2-year guy.

Seems like it's worth considering.

And if he's interested in playing for the Sox, then we won't be reading internet items about his wife saying he hopes to be playing for another team in a few months. :redneck

Craig Grebeck
10-29-2006, 08:05 AM
Why in the world do people want Pierre? He's allergic to walks, and isn't very good defensively. He'll cost around 7 million. I wouldn't take him for 700K.

Just find someone to get on base ahead of our boppers. We don't need a speedster, just someone on for our 3-4-5.

jabrch
10-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Why in the world do people want Pierre? He's allergic to walks, and isn't very good defensively. He'll cost around 7 million. I wouldn't take him for 700K.

Just find someone to get on base ahead of our boppers. We don't need a speedster, just someone on for our 3-4-5.

Again with this nonsense? He's a career .300/.350 hitter with blazing speed. You must be one of those dip****s who would rather have Scott Hatteburg leading off, right? Allergic to walks? That's a completely stupid statement. Pierre puts the bat on the ball. He gets these things called "hits" and he gets lots of them. In fact, he has been in the top 3 in the NL in hits for 4 of his 6 seasons. He's been top 10 in batting average twice, top 5 in triples 5 times, #1 or #2 in SBs all 6 seasons, and he has been #1 in 5 of 6 seasons in terms of not striking out. And he has played all 162 games in 4 straight years.

let's review - he gets hits, more hits than almost any other player. He takes more stolen bases than anyone. He strikes out (wasted ABs) less than anyone, and he never misses games.

Being a good leadoff hitter is about a lot more than just walking. I'd love to have Pierre lead off for this team. He'd thrive under Guillen/Bossard.

If you really wouldn't take him for 700K, that proves that you are completely and totally ignorant and know absolutely nothing about baseball.

samram
10-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Again with this nonsense? He's a career .300/.350 hitter with blazing speed. You must be one of those dip****s who would rather have Scott Hatteburg leading off, right? Allergic to walks? That's a completely stupid statement. Pierre puts the bat on the ball. He gets these things called "hits" and he gets lots of them. In fact, he has been in the top 3 in the NL in hits for 4 of his 6 seasons. He's been top 10 in batting average twice, top 5 in triples 5 times, #1 or #2 in SBs all 6 seasons, and he has been #1 in 5 of 6 seasons in terms of not striking out. And he has played all 162 games in 4 straight years.

let's review - he gets hits, more hits than almost any other player. He takes more stolen bases than anyone. He strikes out (wasted ABs) less than anyone, and he never misses games.

Being a good leadoff hitter is about a lot more than just walking. I'd love to have Pierre lead off for this team. He'd thrive under Guillen/Bossard.

If you really wouldn't take him for 700K, that proves that you are completely and totally ignorant and know absolutely nothing about baseball.

Scott Hatteberg is so 2002. The flavor of the month for the FOBB is now Kevin Youkilis.

wsoxfan111
10-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Better OBP than Pierre.
I like the idea because it will not break the bank for us (as it would for Pierre or Matthews).

His glove is not bad either.

Ya

We could still sign another pitcher with money left-over,

Lip Man 1
10-29-2006, 12:11 PM
If Roberts is the best alternative out there, then fine, go for it.

However with his age and the fact that he's coming off a 'career' year (Cliff Politte anyone?) I'd have some reservations. (Especially given what he may cost...)

Again if he's the best option, that's fine, but I'd hope the Sox would at least consider at the upcoming organizational meetings the following (in no particular order...)

1. Seeing if they can come to a cost effective deal with Posednik (assuming he is completely healthy)

2. Trying to upgrade with a younger lead off hitter (Carl Crawford?)

3. If you are going to invest a sizable amount of money on Roberts, why not take that money and some major and minor league talent and make the Mariners an 'offer they can't refuse' for Ichiro? Go for the whole enchilada!

Lip

Jjav829
10-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Scott Hatteberg is so 2002. The flavor of the month for the FOBB is now Kevin Youkilis.

Except Kevin Youkilis is actually going to be a pretty good player for a while. Hatteberg is just a journeyman who walks a lot.

I would take Roberts as a temporary solution to our leadoff hitter problem. I'm sure he's probably going to be looking for a 3-year deal, but ideally I would like to sign him for 1-year and hope to sign Ichiro next year.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2006, 12:28 PM
If Roberts is the best alternative out there, then fine, go for it.

However with his age and the fact that he's coming off a 'career' year (Cliff Politte anyone?) I'd have some reservations. (Especially given what he may cost...)

Again if he's the best option, that's fine, but I'd hope the Sox would at least consider at the upcoming organizational meetings the following (in no particular order...)

1. Seeing if they can come to a cost effective deal with Posednik (assuming he is completely healthy)

2. Trying to upgrade with a younger lead off hitter (Carl Crawford?)

3. If you are going to invest a sizable amount of money on Roberts, why not take that money and some major and minor league talent and make the Mariners an 'offer they can't refuse' for Ichiro? Go for the whole enchilada!

LipRoberts' "career year" was only .004 higher in OBP than 2005 and he's only one year older than Ichiro. He'll come at half the price, too. Besides, I just don't believe the M's will trade Ichrio. You have to consider his marketing value - he's worth a lot more to them than just what he produces on the field.

I don't see Carl Crawford going anywhere, either.

Roberts or Podsednik may be the best options out there.

SABRSox
10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Maybe this is a bit of a thread hijack, but what kind of cash flow would the White Sox marketing see if they were able to not only wrestle Ichiro away from Seattle, but let's say they get Matsuzaka as well (a pipe dream with Bora$$ as his agent)? They'd pretty much corner the Japanese market, no? I wonder just how much that is worth, and if it could make the team economically viable to raise payroll to get those guys (I'm guessing around $125 million).

I would love to see Ichiro in a Sox uniform. He's absolutely the best option out there.

soxinem1
10-29-2006, 12:31 PM
Roberts is always injured. He never plays a full season. I'll pass thanks. I'd rather stick with Pods or go to Sweeney if that's the best option.

Overpay Pierre to get caught as much as Pods and throw about the same, if not worse?

Worse yet, pay more for a career platoon-type guy who never has even played in 130 games or had 500 AB's in a season (yeah, he came close in 2006, I know) than what it would cost to get the same type of production from a hopefully healthy Podsednik?

Sorry, I'd stay with Pods, especially if these are the choices.

Grzegorz
10-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Trying to upgrade with a younger lead off hitter (Carl Crawford?)
Lip

Lip,

Do you believe Carl Crawford would be amenable to batting leadoff? He a run producer; those guys have a higher upside both in prestige and money than the table setters.

EMachine10
10-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I don't understand why everybody thinks that crawford is so cheap....why would TB give up one of the top young players in the game for nothing. We needed a tweak here or a tweak there last year. By giving up a bunch for crawford, we would create more holes to be filled. Roberts would be just fine...Podsednik is kinda up and down and always has been. If my memory serves me correct, i think this next year would be an up year. (following his trend.)

Our lineup is good enough, except for leadoff hitters. We don't need to give it all up for the best one out there. We just need a servicable one.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2006, 12:47 PM

If you really wouldn't take him for 700K, that proves that you are completely and totally ignorant and know absolutely nothing about baseball.He gets a lot of hits because he gets a lot of AB - BECAUSE HE NEVER WALKS. I don't care if he hits his way on, walks or gets beaned, just so he gets on base, and Pierre had an almost identical OBP to Podsednik last year. Add in the fact that he needs a relay to get the ball to second base and Pierre is, if anything, a downgrade from Podsednik.

soxwon
10-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree with you almost completely. I don't agree with Pierre. IMO, he's a more expensive version of Podsednik. I'd rather have Pods at 2 mil than Pierre at 4-5 times that,

Dont even think about getting a CUB, never no way-Never.

TornLabrum
10-29-2006, 01:42 PM
This is all rumor/speculation. It's going into WTS.

Craig Grebeck
10-29-2006, 01:49 PM
He's a career .300/.350 hitter with blazing speed.
Yes, and in his last three seasons his OBP has fallen from .376 to .326 to .330. All that blazing speed is wasted on ground balls to second base.
You must be one of those dip****s who would rather have Scott Hatteburg leading off, right? Allergic to walks? That's a completely stupid statement.
Scott Hatteberg made 750K last season. Scott Hatteberg put up an .825 OPS. Scott Hatteberg got on base at .389.
Juan Pierre made 5.75 million last season. Juan Pierre put up a .718 OPS. Juan Pierre got on base at .330. Now, yes I know, "OPS is a terrible stat for leadoff guys". Okay, lets look at his blazing speed. With all that speed, he was caught stealing 20 times against 58 steals. 74%. Not amazing in any way.
Pierre puts the bat on the ball. He gets these things called "hits" and he gets lots of them.
Instead of explaining to you why his stats are misleading, I'll let non stathead ON2 do that.
He gets a lot of hits because he gets a lot of AB - BECAUSE HE NEVER WALKS. I don't care if he hits his way on, walks or gets beaned, just so he gets on base, and Pierre had an almost identical OBP to Podsednik last year. Add in the fact that he needs a relay to get the ball to second base and Pierre is, if anything, a downgrade from Podsednik.
In terms of priorities for a left/center fielder, the ability to not strike out his pretty far down. I don't care if he strikes out, as long as he avoids making outs at a pretty good clip. He didn't get out at a .330 clip. That's .018 points below league average.

Why would he thrive? Because Ozzie has an infatuation with gritty little guys who barely get on base? If KW signs him (God forbid), he should be batting 9th.
You're right, that was ignorant. I wouldn't take him for league minimum.

If we're going the speedster who never gets on base route, why don't we just get pods for 2 million and hope he recovers from his ailments. He hit .031 points lower than Pierre, yet got on base AT THE SAME CLIP. As bad as Pods was this season, for the money, they were pretty close in value.

ondafarm
10-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Here's the situation as I see it:

The Sox need one or two lead-off hitters. Preferably two because if you have one, you always have a chance of him getting injured or just having a slump or longer-term difficulties.

Pods definately had a poor year in 2006. It contrasts greatly with 2005 when he was a good, but hardly phenomenal. He's a free agent and probably would sign for $2-3 million/ year. The question is: is he capable of returning to 2005 form or is something permanently wrong? I don't know. I have a few suspicions but the judgement I trust is who the White Sox seem to have on this job: OG, KW, GW & RH.

Roberts would seem to be a veteran who has figured out how to play lead-off. A somewhat better defensive player than Pods, he is also a free agent and probably about the same cost as Pods. A good bunter who has been facing NL pitching. He does take walks, has a good, not spectactular OBP and BA. He seems to have good knowledge of SB. A bit older, but not over the hill yet.

Ichiro. Has been the premier guy for lead-off type hitting. Would come dear in both talent to give up and salary ($8-10 million / year.) Not a free agent this year.

Crawford. An up and coming guy. Not a free-agent. May have expectations of being an RBI guy. Salary would be cheap but talent would be not cheap.

Training somebody in-house. Probably Brian Anderson. Questionable as far as its success. Needs to learn how to bunt. Speed game acceptable but not good.

Lillian
10-29-2006, 04:52 PM
In weighing the two players, Pods vs Roberts, we should consider which of them is the better center fielder. Is Roberts good enough in center to solve the problem the Sox had last year, whenever Brian was not in the lineup? I asked about his arm, in a previous post, but we still haven't heard much about his throwing ability. If he could be the back up center fielder, that would tip the balance in his favor.
If he provides a good leadoff hitter, with the added dimension of a solid defensive center fielder, then he should be our guy. I understand that he would play left, unless Brian falters, or is injured. However we have other guys who could play left, including Pods, if the Sox were to resign him. It is the need for a back up center fielder, that should be the main consideration, after the search for a lead off hitter.

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Here's the situation as I see it:

The Sox need one or two lead-off hitters. Preferably two because if you have one, you always have a chance of him getting injured or just having a slump or longer-term difficulties.

Pods definately had a poor year in 2006. It contrasts greatly with 2005 when he was a good, but hardly phenomenal. He's a free agent and probably would sign for $2-3 million/ year. The question is: is he capable of returning to 2005 form or is something permanently wrong? I don't know. I have a few suspicions but the judgement I trust is who the White Sox seem to have on this job: OG, KW, GW & RH.

Roberts would seem to be a veteran who has figured out how to play lead-off. A somewhat better defensive player than Pods, he is also a free agent and probably about the same cost as Pods. A good bunter who has been facing NL pitching. He does take walks, has a good, not spectactular OBP and BA. He seems to have good knowledge of SB. A bit older, but not over the hill yet.

Ichiro. Has been the premier guy for lead-off type hitting. Would come dear in both talent to give up and salary ($8-10 million / year.) Not a free agent this year.

Crawford. An up and coming guy. Not a free-agent. May have expectations of being an RBI guy. Salary would be cheap but talent would be not cheap.

Training somebody in-house. Probably Brian Anderson. Questionable as far as its success. Needs to learn how to bunt. Speed game acceptable but not good.Podsednik has only 4 years of service time. He won't be a FA until after 2008. I agree with your evaluation of him. Sometimes players just have down years. But I agree that KW and the staff are on top of the situation and will make a more informed choice than any of us are capable of making.

Roberts at least has the advantage of being a marginally better CF than Podsednik, so if Anderson continues to struggle, one option would be Roberts in CF and Fields in LF. But I really don't see them wanting to go with two leadoff hitters. They did it in 2006 only because Podsednik couldn't hit lefties at all. If they sign Roberts, I believe Podsednik will be traded or non-tendered.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2006, 09:08 PM
No.2:

What kind of 'marketing value' is Ichiro worth to the M's when he walks as a free agent after this upcoming season? Seattle either has to sign him or actually get something for him. If they don't and he walks clean the backlash from fans will make his marketing value look like mini-me in Austin Powers.

Grgez:

I'd think Crawford would clean the washrooms if it got him out of that cesspool called Tampa Bay.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
10-29-2006, 09:27 PM
No.2:

What kind of 'marketing value' is Ichiro worth to the M's when he walks as a free agent after this upcoming season? Seattle either has to sign him or actually get something for him. If they don't and he walks clean the backlash from fans will make his marketing value look like mini-me in Austin Powers.

Grgez:

I'd think Crawford would clean the washrooms if it got him out of that cesspool called Tampa Bay.

LipWhen he walks??? Big assumption, don't you think? I believe the M's will re-sign Ichiro. They can't afford not to.

Lip Man 1
10-29-2006, 10:04 PM
No. 2:

I can only go by the information I have read and in two separate stories in The Sporting News, sources 'close' to Ichiro say he is tired of losing and the direction of the franchise.

There was also a later story that said he hoped to re-sign with them which may be simply 'talk', much as Ordonez saying he wanted to re-sign with the Sox.

Bottom line he's a free agent after this season. If they don't sign him to a contract extension this winter, they'll certainly peddle him in July 'marketing value' be damned.

The Sox have nothing to lose by asking 'what if?' for one of the top players in the game and a guy who fits EXACTLY what they need.

I mean if you're going to give Dave Roberts three or four million a year why not take that money and try to apply it to getting Ichiro? Yes it would take a lot more then three or four million but I'm saying if your going to spend it anyway throw it in a collection fund, for Ichiro.

Lip

FarWestChicago
10-29-2006, 11:00 PM
I mean if you're going to give Dave Roberts three or four million a year why not take that money and try to apply it to getting Ichiro? Yes it would take a lot more then three or four million but I'm saying if your going to spend it anyway throw it in a collection fund, for Ichiro.

LipNobody can spend another man's money like you, Lip. :D:

thomas35forever
10-29-2006, 11:31 PM
I'd like to see Roberts sign a two or possibly three-year deal with the Sox.

KRS1
10-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Ill take Roberts..... As a fourth outfielder/insurance policy.

I want Anderson back in CF, and I think it's time for Sweeney or Fields to get a serious look at the starting LF job.

ondafarm
10-30-2006, 12:25 AM
. . . But I really don't see them wanting to go with two leadoff hitters. They did it in 2006 only because Podsednik couldn't hit lefties at all. If they sign Roberts, I believe Podsednik will be traded or non-tendered.

Perhaps I should say two guys who can bat lead off and not look totally stupid. As in one regular lead-off guy and one other guy, probably a within organization guy, who can handle lead-off duties against some lefties. Ozzie doesn't like having guys play more than 150 games probably closer to 130-140 (especially roles like lead-off guy or such.) Thsi requires one other guy who can lead-off 20-25 games. I'm thinking Roberts and Anderson for those two roles. Will Anderson learn to bunt in winter ball / ST?

KRS1
10-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Perhaps I should say two guys who can bat lead off and not look totally stupid. As in one regular lead-off guy and one other guy, probably a within organization guy, who can handle lead-off duties against some lefties. Ozzie doesn't like having guys play more than 150 games probably closer to 130-140 (especially roles like lead-off guy or such.) Thsi requires one other guy who can lead-off 20-25 games. I'm thinking Roberts and Anderson for those two roles. Will Anderson learn to bunt in winter ball / ST?

I dont see Brian leading off ever, not now, not in the future.

Also, we have that guy who can play the role you are talking about in Pablo. I dont see us not re-signing him as he played his role really well, and has proved very valuable to us in his time here. His play in LF was much improved throughout the season. When you go back and look at his game in KC early in the season where he couldnt even stay under a high fly hit less than 10 feet from where he was standing, and how he was regularly making plays on the run in the second half, it was a huge difference. He also looked very good at 3b. Now if we could just have a legit backup CF.

Grzegorz
10-30-2006, 05:56 AM
Is Ryan Freel available?

WizardsofOzzie
10-30-2006, 08:32 AM
No. 2:

Lip
All Sox fans send in 5 dollars to white sox management to collect money to sign Ichiro :redneck

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2006, 10:51 AM
No. 2:

I can only go by the information I have read and in two separate stories in The Sporting News, sources 'close' to Ichiro say he is tired of losing and the direction of the franchise.

There was also a later story that said he hoped to re-sign with them which may be simply 'talk', much as Ordonez saying he wanted to re-sign with the Sox.

Bottom line he's a free agent after this season. If they don't sign him to a contract extension this winter, they'll certainly peddle him in July 'marketing value' be damned.

The Sox have nothing to lose by asking 'what if?' for one of the top players in the game and a guy who fits EXACTLY what they need.

LipNothing wrong with approaching Seattle about him, and I'm pretty sure Kenny is working all the possibilities. He would be a nice fit, although $11M might be hard to fit into the budget.

russ99
10-30-2006, 11:12 AM

If Roberts can be signed relatively cheap, why not get them both and have them battle for the spot in spring.

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Yes to Dave Roberts

forget Arod we want DAROB
wow thats clever" DaRob"

SABRSox
10-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Yes to Dave Roberts

forget Arod we want DAROB
wow thats clever" DaRob"

If he does sign with the Sox, I hope that "DaRob" gets a filter on this board similar to BMac.

soxwon
10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
If he does sign with the Sox, I hope that "DaRob" gets a filter on this board similar to Fingernails on a blackboard.

i officially nickname him Da-Rob (pronounced DAYROB)

FarWestChicago
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
If he does sign with the Sox, I hope that "DaRob" gets a filter on this board similar to Fingernails on a blackboard.I'm on it. :D:

Qdiddy
10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
What does everyone consider "Cheap" for D. Roberts? What's his market value compared to Pods?

What's about Pods in Left, and Roberts in CF? :tongue:

Does anyone reallly think KW is going to pull off the Crawford trade? I say it's a 40-60 chance he'll do it.