PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-29

Lip Man 1
10-28-2006, 11:26 AM
October 29, 1956 - Al Lopez replaces Marty Marion as field manager. Marion who did a fine job in replacing Paul Richards, had missed an important board meeting to be with his family at an event. It was all the ‘excuse’ the Sox needed to let him go despite 3rd place finishes and winning records in 1955 and 1956. ‘The Senor’ though would prove to be a most able ‘replacement.’ Lopez had nine straight winning seasons with the club and copped the 1959 American League pennant. Many say he was the finest manager in team history. (Many of the guys who played for Lopez including Gary Peters, Joe Horlen, J.C. Martin, Pete Ward and others talk about what it was like in their White Sox Interactive interviews.)

October 29, 1986 - Larry Himes is hired as the new Sox General Manager replacing Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. Himes drafted and signed Sox future stars like Frank Thomas, Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura and Alex Fernandez. He would be fired in September 1990 after ‘philosophical’ differences between himself and ownership made working together impossible.

http://host.jwcinc.net/Scripts/RequestImage.aspx?image=%2f3133940%2felist%2520126 .jpg&width=300

Lip

PaulDrake
10-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Lopez could be overly stubborn, and sometimes he'd hold a grudge. Despite those faults he's far and away the best manager the Sox have had in my lifetime. I leave Ozzie out of the equation, as his tenure still has a ways to go.

Britt Burns
10-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Didn't Hawk get let go as GM before the season had ended? Were the Sox without a GM for a while?

TheKittle
10-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Didn't Hawk get let go as GM before the season had ended? Were the Sox without a GM for a while?

I thought Hawk resigned. Semantics I know. But saying you resigned sounds better on a resume.