PDA

View Full Version : barry bonds files for free agency.

goon
10-27-2006, 06:09 PM
according to espnnews.

iguchi, sweeney, thome, rodriguez, bonds, konerko, pierzynski, fields...

why is everyone laughing?

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2641065)

MarySwiss
10-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Link? I could use a laugh.

chaerulez
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Now I know there is really no chance in hell that Bonds comes to the South Side, but if he actually did I would not watch or follow a single Sox game as long as he was a member of the team. Why is A-Rod's name in teal though? I'm tired of this we don't need A-Rod talk. Yes, pitching is our larger problem, but to say A-Rod wouldn't help the team is insane.

Jjav829
10-27-2006, 06:40 PM
:KW
"Let's get this World Series over and start the countdown to the beginning of free agency!"

23Ventura
10-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I hope no team signs him. Keep Hank Aaron's record safe from cheaters like Bonds.

jamokes
10-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I hope no team signs him. Keep Hank Aaron's record safe from cheaters like Bonds.

I agree with you.......I hope no team even tries to pick him up.

Timmy D's
10-27-2006, 08:44 PM

That would be so awesome!!! But ya know some loser team would pick him up. Poss Bonds in Tampa. How ironic Tropicana would have a natural poster "juice" boy along w/ it. Got juice??

Frankfan4life
10-27-2006, 09:53 PM
That would be so awesome!!! But ya know some loser team would pick him up. Poss Bonds in Tampa. How ironic Tropicana would have a natural poster "juice" boy along w/ it. Got juice??2 Shay! :D:

soxwon
10-27-2006, 10:57 PM
2 Shay! :D:

there was a rumour about 3 years ago, bonds said he'd love to play for us!!!
thank God we didnt get him.

kitekrazy
10-28-2006, 01:03 AM

Well there is Al Davis, owner of the Oakland Raiders. He'd fit in.

thomas35forever
10-28-2006, 01:12 AM
I heard about this. The offseason begins already.

ode to veeck
10-28-2006, 12:30 PM
:whocares:

:hurt

"I already locked down the A's DH role. Look elsewhere Mr. Barroids!"

voodoochile
10-28-2006, 01:43 PM

That's the exact reason he filed for FA. Some team will be glad to take the money and run to the bank. With the advent of him breaking the record, ST sales will jump dramatically. The ball itself will be worth millions, so people will jump at the opportunity to catch it and break the bank. Whatever team signs him will see a huge jump in ST sales, so they will be able to throw large sums of money at Bonds.

He wants to break the bank and retire, IMO. Most marketable commodity in all of sports next season - Barry Bonds.

Not that I like that fact, but it is what it is...

Bruizer
10-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Frank Thomas filed for free agency, too! :?:

Bru

Sox Fan 35
10-28-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm sure Frank will be back with the A's next year.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Actually I don't know if Bonds ever said he'd love to play for the Sox, but it is true that Jerry Reinsdorf asked Frank Thomas after the 1996 season, 'if you could have one player on the team, who would you want?'

Thomas said Albert Belle... which took Reinsdorf by surprise. He said, 'you know Barry Bonds is available...' But Thomas again said Belle.

Lip

goon
10-28-2006, 09:33 PM
Actually I don't know if Bonds ever said he'd love to play for the Sox, but it is true that Jerry Reinsdorf asked Frank Thomas after the 1996 season, 'if you could have one player on the team, who would you want?'

Thomas said Albert Belle... which took Reinsdorf by surprise. He said, 'you know Barry Bonds is available...' But Thomas again said Belle.

Lip

as dumb of a decision as that was, i'm glad we never got bonds. i understand the upside could have been... well, would have been terrific, but count me out for cheering for that guy and all of the steroid nonsense, terrible attitude, pre-madonna crap.

goon
10-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm sure Frank will be back with the A's next year.

that seems likely. bonds, however, probably won't be back with the giants and it will be interesting to see what AL team will "land" him.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
That's the exact reason he filed for FA. Some team will be glad to take the money and run to the bank. With the advent of him breaking the record, ST sales will jump dramatically. The ball itself will be worth millions, so people will jump at the opportunity to catch it and break the bank. Whatever team signs him will see a huge jump in ST sales, so they will be able to throw large sums of money at Bonds.

He wants to break the bank and retire, IMO. Most marketable commodity in all of sports next season - Barry Bonds.

Not that I like that fact, but it is what it is...
Which teams are interested? I believe Bonds comes across as pure poison. " I'm only here to get 755. ". Where are his options? What teams would really be interested?

goon
10-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Which teams are interested? I believe Bonds comes across as pure poison. " I'm only here to get 755. ". Where are his options? What teams would really be interested?

he hit 26 home runs in basically an injury-plagued season. he's going to be 43 next year, but if he goes to an AL team then he won't have to play the field. he's a risk, but if someone thinks he can pull a frank thomas, they'll sign him for the right price.

Baby Fisk
10-29-2006, 07:32 AM
pre-madonna

That is awesome.

But I think you meant this. (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/primadonna?view=uk)

voodoochile
10-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Any team that cares more about money next season than wins...

They are out there.

tlebar318
10-29-2006, 08:54 AM

They are out there.

You mean the Cubs?:redneck

DumpJerry
10-29-2006, 10:22 AM

They are out there.
Thank goodness that eliminates the Twins. He could hit 755 in one season in that dome. I don't see any AL Central teams picking him up. He would not fit into the long range plans of any of the teams. The Tigers don't need him. We certainly don't need him. The Royals are buidling with youth and won't drop a ton of cash on someone who will play one year and will prevent them from signing prospects because of the cash. The Indians need pitching, not hitting.

SoxEd
10-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Would he be a good fit at Baltimore?

They don't expect to win in that Division anyway, and it'd be a chance for them to undermine the Nationals' market share.

Or, do you think that the ownership there had its fill of controversy with Raffy?

:dunno:

goon
10-29-2006, 03:39 PM
That is awesome.

But I think you meant this. (http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/primadonna?view=uk)

the worst part about this is i've used the wrong spelling in papers and teacher's have never corrected me.:?: i feel like james spader in seinfeld.

goon
10-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Thank goodness that eliminates the Twins. He could hit 755 in one season in that dome. I don't see any AL Central teams picking him up. He would not fit into the long range plans of any of the teams. The Tigers don't need him. We certainly don't need him. The Royals are buidling with youth and won't drop a ton of cash on someone who will play one year and will prevent them from signing prospects because of the cash. The Indians need pitching, not hitting.

i think it all depends on how much bonds is asking for and for how long. i don't see the sox, tigers or indians picking him up, but the twins don't have a DH.

DumpJerry
10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
i think it all depends on how much bonds is asking for and for how long. i don't see the sox, tigers or indians picking him up, but the twins don't have a DH.
The Twins are philosophically opposed to big $$ contract (except for Johan and Mauer). I'm sure they have someone in their system who can step up and hit .290 as their DH for cheap. They might have a good 1st base prosepct who can make Morneau a DH.

goon
10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
The Twins are philosophically opposed to big $$ contract (except for Johan and Mauer). I'm sure they have someone in their system who can step up and hit .290 as their DH for cheap. They might have a good 1st base prosepct who can make Morneau a DH.

agreed, with bond's reputation i doubt the twins would sign him, however, they are the most likely candidate in the central.

i think it all goes back to how much barry is going to ask for and the length of the contract. looking at the whole picture, i don't think anyone is going to spend a ton of money on him, i don't think that is even an issue. if barry goes out and asks for 12-15 million he won't get it, well maybe from baltimore. yet, if he goes somewhere in the 4-8 range, most teams will be able to afford him. he still has power, but he is 43, can't play the field, can't run and has been hobbled by injuries. barry doesn't exactly have a convincing case for a big contract, the game has changed since 2004.

areilly
10-29-2006, 10:23 PM
I say he ends up in either Baltimore or Texas: two teams with nothing to lose and owners willing to put their stock in some such spectacle.