PDA

View Full Version : John Rooney to get another ring?

Whitesox4ever
10-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Looks like he will get his 3rd championship ring with his 3rd team.. I wonder how he will call tonights final out if the Cards win it..

Wish he was back doing Sox games

wsoxfan111
10-27-2006, 04:57 PM
When the cards win tonight, he will sound very excited.

Just not as excited as he was with the sox last year.

Steelrod
10-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Looks like he will get his 3rd championship ring with his 3rd team.. I wonder how he will call tonights final out if the Cards win it..

Didn't get one with the Twins.
He is however, probably the first home team announcer to call World Series games for 3 different teams.

Steelrod
10-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Apparently not, if you read his quotes in this mornings bright one.

kevingrt
10-27-2006, 07:14 PM

He wouldn't call the final out Shannon gets 9th inning duties and will definitely get the final call, no doubts.

jamokes
10-27-2006, 07:26 PM
John Rooney was the best. Easy to listen to.

Whitesox4ever
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
He is however, probably the first home team announcer to call World Series games for 3 different teams.

I thought he got one in 87 in his last year with the team...

slavko
10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
I thought he got one in 87 in his last year with the team...

The old memory bank is telling me they didn't give him one in '87. Really, didn't the happiness at the clincher last year sound the slightest bit forced? He certainly didn't seem overjoyed at the downtown rally.

Brian26
10-27-2006, 09:13 PM
He wouldn't call the final out Shannon gets 9th inning duties and will definitely get the final call, no doubts.

Which is a shame, because Shannon is absolutely horrible. I know a lot of Cardinal fans that can't stand him. He's been there forever though, so he gets to do the 9th.

Brian26
10-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Apparently not, if you read his quotes in this mornings bright one.

Those comments were quite telling. He seems more aloof about the Sox than ever.

I always thought he grew up as a KC A's fan, so the article actually finally cleared that up.

HotelWhiteSox
10-28-2006, 12:55 AM

He was on AM1000 the other day, I was a little surprised, he said one of his top moments was calling a White Sox World Series until he called an Albert Pujols HR in the World Series :?:

Rdubb4
10-28-2006, 12:58 AM
He was on AM1000 the other day, I was a little surprised, he said one of his top moments was calling a White Sox World Series until he called an Albert Pujols HR in the World Series :?:

I dont blame him for saying that.

But dont blame me for saying Inter will win today!!:redneck

HotelWhiteSox
10-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I dont blame him for saying that.

But dont blame me for saying Inter will win today!!:redneck

But come on, the whole thing vs one home run, I just thought it was weird. I could understand it if it was calling their World Series win. He must really love the Cardinals. No matter what he says, I now doubt that him leaving had as much to do with the deal he was offered

Ooo, derby time, what's a goal again? It'd be nice to score some!

kevingrt
10-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Those comments were quite telling. He seems more aloof about the Sox than ever.

I always thought he grew up as a KC A's fan, so the article actually finally cleared that up.

Where can I read this article? And I totally agree with HotelWhiteSox on this one. The deal could not have been that bad. I got to believe he really loves the Cardinals, and when the opening happened he couldn't resist.

We can always get Wills back though! :D:

IronFisk
10-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Shannon apparently did the call, and yes, it REALLY sucked! From the sound of him, it was just another win. Pathetic.

RadioheadRocks
10-28-2006, 02:08 AM
Where can I read this article? And I totally agree with HotelWhiteSox on this one. The deal could not have been that bad. I got to believe he really loves the Cardinals, and when the opening happened he couldn't resist.

We can always get Wills back though! :D:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/deluca/113670,CST-SPT-deluca27.article

soxinem1
10-28-2006, 07:45 AM

I wonder if he's the first to call B2B World Series Championships for two different home teams in consecutive years.

Go figure. It takes 19 seasons to get one, now he gets two in a row.

Lip Man 1
10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Rooney also has a ring from the 1987 Twins. Yes his final year with them they won the Series.

Lip

downstairs
10-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Shannon apparently did the call, and yes, it REALLY sucked! From the sound of him, it was just another win. Pathetic.

What goofy operation gives the play by play guy the 9th off?

I sort-of understand taking off an inning in the middle of the game- 5th, 6th. But the 9th is generally when big things happen- which solidifies the guy as your "hometown guy."

Now St. Louis fans will have some idiot's (I listened, it was horrid) call to remember the series.

Oh well. We lucked out.

slavko
10-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Rooney also has a ring from the 1987 Twins. Yes his final year with them they won the Series.

Lip

Lip
Are you sure MN gave him a ring? I recall him not getting one even though he called the WS win in his last year there.

As goes his statements to various media, take them with a grain of salt. Listen to his actions instead. Even nice guys can be self-serving when the situation is right.

Crede_Fan
10-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Lip
Are you sure MN gave him a ring? I recall him not getting one even though he called the WS win in his last year there.

As goes his statements to various media, take them with a grain of salt. Listen to his actions instead. Even nice guys can be self-serving when the situation is right.

He was on with Carmen & Bruce for Talking Baseball this morning. He said he had rings for the Sox, Bulls and now will have one from the Cardinals.

So I don't think Minny gave him one.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-28-2006, 02:43 PM
He was on with Carmen & Bruce for Talking Baseball this morning. He said he had rings for the Sox, Bulls and now will have one from the Cardinals.

How did he get one, or maybe six, from the Bulls? Does Reinsdorf just give them to everyone he knows or did he do some basketball broadcasts?

Crede_Fan
10-28-2006, 02:51 PM
How did he get one, or maybe six, from the Bulls? Does Reinsdorf just give them to everyone he knows or did he do some basketball broadcasts?

They said he worked for the Bulls for the last championship.

The Wall
10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I wonder what his last out call was.

Brian26
10-28-2006, 05:00 PM
They said he worked for the Bulls for the last championship.

I don't remember that at all. I know Jim Durham worked for the Bulls and the Sox in '90, but I don't recall Rooney doing work for the Bulls.

slavko
10-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I don't remember that at all. I know Jim Durham worked for the Bulls and the Sox in '90, but I don't recall Rooney doing work for the Bulls.

I don't recall the years, but when a Bulls game was on WGN-TV, they didn't want the announcers doing a TV/radio simulcast call as was usually done, so the regular announcers did the TV only and Rooney did the radio call. He was not bad at all. His sidekick was the rebounding machine, Tom Boerwinkle.

ewokpelts
10-29-2006, 10:14 AM
He is however, probably the first home team announcer to call World Series games for 3 different teams.polhad must be cheaper than we thought.....

ewokpelts
10-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I wonder what his last out call was.rooney dosent do the 9th inning for cards games...the other guy does it, and he was brutal(i listened on xm and muted buck/mccarver...i didnt bother to listen to th eligers broadcast)

soxtalker
10-30-2006, 08:23 AM
rooney dosent do the 9th inning for cards games...the other guy does it, and he was brutal(i listened on xm and muted buck/mccarver...i didnt bother to listen to th eligers broadcast)

The audio is up on the mlb site (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ps/y2006/archive.jsp?series=ws&type=audio). Sounds pretty reserved compared to Rooney's call last year. (The Tigers' broadcast is also up on that site.)

Frontman
10-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Rooney's call, (as well as Farmer) from last year's post season were incredible. Although, when I listen to it, Rooney I think was exhausted by the end of game 4. He was much more excited when Konkero "stepped on the bag, the White Sox have won the pennant! They've won the pennant!" over his call of the final out of game 4. Hell, he seemed more excited when Uribe reached into the stands for the second out. I think it was much more of a case of like the rest of us, we were excited, but also just exhausted for waiting so long to finally see the Sox win it all.

Now, finger of shame to the Cardinals for not allowing their main PBP man to call the final out of their championship win. Terrible.

Front

thomas35forever
10-30-2006, 06:41 PM
The Cards (or whoever was in charge) should be ashamed. Why didn't Rooney call the last out? I sure Mike Shannon has waited forever for a World Series winner in St. Louis. He didn't even sound close to the way Rooney called the final out last year.

I agree with the statement that says Rooney was more excited calling the pennant-winning out. I may have been like that too.

downstairs
10-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Still no answer...

Rooney apparently never does the 9th? Why is that?

Like I mentioned before... I'm sure most announcers take a break in the middle of the game. But the 9th? You're going to stick with one guy for the whole game, then change it around in the 9th?

The "breaks" are always the most brutal for any broadcast, because the color guys on radio are usually not that great.

johnr1note
11-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I listened to a lot of the Cards radio team during the posteason this year on XM. Rooney often made comparisons between the Cards' successes and his memories of the White Sox the year before. But every time he did, Shannon would shut him down, and change the subject.

One instance in particular, during game 4, Rooney was commenting on one of the Cardinal relievers who had a fastball in the high 90s, and made a direct comparison to Bobby Jenks. Rooney started in on an anecdotal tale of the 2005 WS and Jenks particpation, and Shannon almost immediately cut him short and changed the subject to a more St. Louis centered discussion.

I think Big John cherishes his Sox memories. He is, howevre, apparently very bitter about Sox management.