PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-28

Lip Man 1
10-27-2006, 12:28 PM
October 28, 2005 - The largest turnout for a championship celebration in Chicago sports history happens as nearly two million people line the parade route in the downtown area / South Side to honor the World Series Champions. The Sox players and management address the crowd and Paul Konerko presents the last out / game ball to owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

http://www.cti.depaul.edu/studentlife/yearbooks/Yearbook%2005-06/images/SoxCelebration03.jpg

Lip

jenn2080
10-27-2006, 01:08 PM
God that was great! :bandance:

bryPt
10-27-2006, 01:11 PM
"yeah, well that 2 million guess was about 1.5 million short. No way could that hack team draw that many people to a parade. Lets run another story about drug abuse around the Cell." - Tribune management.

Baby Fisk
10-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I called in "sick" the second day in a row to watch. It was worth a lifetime of waiting. Frank Thomas's parting words still bring chills:

"God bless the White Sox! God bless Chicago! We're the World Champions baby!"

ChiSoxGirl
10-27-2006, 02:04 PM
This was the second greatest day of my life, followed only by 10.26.05. :bandance:

I took a Personal Day to go to the parade and it was something I'll never regret. Ordinarily, I should give at least 24 hours notice to my principal if I'm taking a personal day. In this case, I told her I was taking a Personal Day an hour before the school day ended on 10.27; it's not my fault the plans for the celebration were put together that afternoon! :wink:

My mom & I took the Blue Line down to Clark & Lake and got to the parade route around 10a- just early enough to stake out a spot in the second row of people about a half block from Wacker. I was fortunate enough to get unobstructed pictures of so many players as they came down the street atop those busses and when they were on stage.

I am so glad I went to this wonderful event- no celebration could possibly top it in my eyes.

goon
10-27-2006, 02:09 PM
that was the greatest parade i will ever go to.

Bruizer
10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I walked down from my office about a block away and set up about three rows back at Adams and Lasalle. It was such an incredible sight seeing all the players pass by on the buses! Here's a couple of the photos I took.

Bru :cool:

Hitmen77
10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
That parade was great. I never felt prouder to be a Sox fan.:gulp:

Hitmen77
10-27-2006, 02:40 PM
"yeah, well that 2 million guess was about 1.5 million short. No way could that hack team draw that many people to a parade. Lets run another story about drug abuse around the Cell." - Tribune management.

That's no joke. A few months later, Rick Morissey in the Trib claimed that half the people at the parade were Cub fans and generally dismissed the entire event by saying that a Cubs parade would be much bigger.

Anyone who even questions whether the Trib is ridiculously biased for the Cubs and against the Sox need not look any further than that piece of crap statement. Exhibit A of how the Trib really feels about the Sox.:angry:

Sox Fan 35
10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
That's no joke. A few months later, Rick Morissey in the Trib claimed that half the people at the parade were Cub fans and generally dismissed the entire event by saying that a Cubs parade would be much bigger.

What an idiot.:rolleyes:

The parade was crazy. It would be nice if we culd have another one in '07...

sox_fan_forever
10-27-2006, 03:42 PM
That was amazing. I was fortunate enough to be home from school on fall break. By the time my friends and I got there, they weren't letting people move any closer to the stage area so we were pretty disappointed...until we realized that we were staked out right in front of where they parked the buses, so we got to see most of the players as they got off.

Madvora
10-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Cotts looked bored to death.

chisoxmike
10-27-2006, 03:56 PM
If I have a regret in life, it was not going to that parade. I had to work.:whiner:

kevingrt
10-27-2006, 04:21 PM
"Celebrate good times, Come on!"

Dan the Man
10-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Second day in a month that I ditched school and rode the train downtown. Skipped for the rally as well. Although the audio at the parade sucked, it was awesome seeing all the players screaming and smiling at their fans. Made me proud to be a Sox fan.

Bob G
10-27-2006, 05:27 PM
The parade was an incredible experience - my wife and I were fortunate enough to actually participate in the parade. I was the one in the Motorola truck waving to everyone - I'm sure all of you remember.

When we turned on LaSalle the confetti was so thick falling on me I could barely see the buildings. Its still hard to believe it all really happened still seems like a dream.

Lip Man 1
10-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Bob:

What do you do that you got to participate. Are you a cameraman or something?

Lip

Bob G
10-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I work for Motorola (cell phone product development). I helped our marketing people with promotional samples for some of the players and Sox execs. The Sox asked all of the major sponsors to participate - the marketing people knew I was a huge fan so I was invited to be in the parade.