PDA

View Full Version : Albom: I know Rogers is Innocent Because I Shook His Hand

Hitmen77
10-26-2006, 09:47 AM
It looks like the New York Times isn't buying Mitch's B.S.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/sports/baseball/25rogers.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Albom told his listeners that the controversy was the result of reporters with “too much time on their hands.” He chuckled when he told of how he shook Rogers’s hand after the game and found no foreign substance on it after the left-handed Rogers pitched eight shutout innings in a 3-1 victory.

He did not mention that the standard practice is to shake with the right hand.

1951Campbell
10-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Hmm, so Mitch is either an idiot or trying to be a useful idiot for Rogers.

Jerko
10-26-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, even if Rogers shakes hands left-handed, :rolleyes: the stuff was gone after the game anyway!!!!!!!!!! He washed it off in the 2nd inning or whatever. **** Mitch.

INSox56
10-26-2006, 11:08 AM
I guess the Cards' pitching coach said he was scuffing too. Hmpf. Talk about umpires completely ignoring the rules though. Whether he pitched 7 more innings without it or not, he shouldn't have pitched at all, regardless of whether he washed it off or not.

patbooyah
10-26-2006, 11:54 AM
well, hopefully mr. albom is able to turn this into another one of his overly sentimental masterpieces. i'm thinking: "thursdays in heaven with pine tar and puppies"

thegooch
10-26-2006, 11:57 AM
well, hopefully mr. albom is able to turn this into another one of his overly sentimental masterpieces. i'm thinking: "thursdays in heaven with pine tar and puppies"

HA!!!!:smile: :smile:

Oblong
10-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Albom is just protecting himself (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DEFD81138F930A35750C0A96E9482 60) from any future issues.

chisoxmike
10-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Album needs to shut the **** up, never talk again, and stop writing books.

Justagirl
10-26-2006, 01:11 PM
I guess the Cards' pitching coach said he was scuffing too. Hmpf. Talk about umpires completely ignoring the rules though. Whether he pitched 7 more innings without it or not, he shouldn't have pitched at all, regardless of whether he washed it off or not.
Seriously, I dont see why this is so hard for some people to understand.

I want Mags back
10-26-2006, 02:58 PM
thats hystriacal, being that we shake with right hands,and he is a lefty

skobabe8
10-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Now I see why Jason Whitlock feels the way he does about Mitch Albom. What a boob.

buehrle4cy05
10-26-2006, 05:06 PM

:rolling:

Hey Mitch, did you get your facts right? Did you even bother to check? Or is that just not your thing? Oh wait, it's not. (http://www.regrettheerror.com/2005/04/mitch_albom_sus.html)

dickallen15
10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
One of the magazines, I think it was SI, had photos of Rogers in other starts during the season with the same substance on the same place in his left hand. They also talked to a scout who says there isn't a staff in the major leagues that doesn't have a few guys doing something, and that is probably one reason LaRussa didn't go too far arguing about it.

pearso66
10-26-2006, 06:06 PM

While I agree he should have been kicked out, but the umpires didn't ignore the rule. They don't have to eject a pitcher for using a foreign substance, they can do exactly what they did, and ask him to wash it off. Now if LaRussa would have come out in the middle of an inning, while Rogers was pitching, instead of in-between innings, he might have been ejected.

ssirish317
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Now I see why Jason Whitlock feels the way he does about Mitch Albom. What a boob.

What's that supposed to mean? Have they gotten into it on the Sports Reporters or something?

INSox56
10-27-2006, 12:20 PM
While I agree he should have been kicked out, but the umpires didn't ignore the rule. They don't have to eject a pitcher for using a foreign substance, they can do exactly what they did, and ask him to wash it off. Now if LaRussa would have come out in the middle of an inning, while Rogers was pitching, instead of in-between innings, he might have been ejected.

yeah they do..." PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6):
(a) The pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically for 10 games."

or this one...." (b) Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically for 10 games."

INSox56
10-27-2006, 12:21 PM
One of the magazines, I think it was SI, had photos of Rogers in other starts during the season with the same substance on the same place in his left hand. They also talked to a scout who says there isn't a staff in the major leagues that doesn't have a few guys doing something, and that is probably one reason LaRussa didn't go too far arguing about it.

the thing about this is funny, it can come back to what Ozzie said last year or this year about cheating. You can do it, but don't get caught. The BS thing about that argument made by others in the league is "hey they all do it"...well the appropriate answer to that is "well, you just got caught". So either get better at hiding it or don't do it, you can't use that excuse in any cheating, steroids or doctoring balls.

EastCoastSoxFan
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
yeah they do..." PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6):
(a) The pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically for 10 games."

or this one...." (b) Have on his person, or in his possession, any foreign substance. For such infraction of this section (b) the penalty shall be immediate ejection from the game. In addition, the pitcher shall be suspended automatically for 10 games."Only if there is INTENT, which is the point Steve Palermo attempted to make after the game. If the umpires honestly believed there was no intent on Kenny Rogers' part then they might in hindsight appear to be a tad naive, but they were not derelict in enforcing this rule.

LongLiveFisk
10-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Exactly....only if Rogers uses his own customary left hand handshake can you even begin to give an ounce of credit to Albom. And even then I'm skeptical.

Justagirl
10-27-2006, 02:33 PM
Only if there is INTENT, which is the point Steve Palermo attempted to make after the game. If the umpires honestly believed there was no intent on Kenny Rogers' part then they might in hindsight appear to be a tad naive, but they were not derelict in enforcing this rule.
He unintentionally smears foreign substances on his hand before pitching games? :?:
He knew what he was doing. This isnt little league. He's a big boy.

Ol' No. 2
10-30-2006, 09:15 PM
No. 2: I know Albom is an idiot because I read his stupid article.

chaerulez
10-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Albom is a complete tool. He wrote an article about the final four which he just plain made up out of nowhere and thought no one would find out. He writes crappy books and thinks just because he's a sports writer that makes him a legit author/novelist. Albom is a joke.