PDA

View Full Version : $$$ MLB.com is raking it in

Baby Fisk
10-26-2006, 08:50 AM
In 2001, MLB.com earned $36 million. Last year, it raked in almost $200 million. It is now estimated to be worth $4 to $5 billion. :o:

linky (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061026.RMLBDOTCOM26/TPStory/Business)

brewcrew/chisox
10-26-2006, 12:11 PM
In 2001, MLB.com earned $36 million. Last year, it raked in almost $200 million. It is now estimated to be worth $4 to $5 billion. :o:

linky (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061026.RMLBDOTCOM26/TPStory/Business)

I say that they need to spend a little more of that money and make it easier for Mac users then. I won't spend the money next year if I'm faced with many of the same problems that I faced this year. Oh, and their customer service is a joke. I've been placed on hold for over a half an hour a couple of times. I think they have exactly one person answering all of the phone calls.

DumpJerry
10-26-2006, 12:43 PM
I say that they need to spend a little more of that money and make it easier for Mac users then. I won't spend the money next year if I'm faced with many of the same problems that I faced this year. Oh, and their customer service is a joke. I've been placed on hold for over a half an hour a couple of times. I think they have exactly one person answering all of the phone calls.
Mac users? How about the rest of us? The site is run like a horse's ass when you want to buy something. Last year I ordered an authentic White Sox home World Series jersey as soon as we won the ALCS. About two days later, I got an email telling me that they could not sell it to me with no explanation (the credit card was good and the site showed it in stock). They said to call their toll-free number. I called it, but when I entered my now-defunct order number it said there was not such order number and hung up on me! It took about 4 attempts to trick the phone system to give me a live person. I asked her why no jersey. It was explained that my lettering request ("13" and "Ozzie") violated the licensing agreement, but I could buy one without lettering. I ordered it, but told the woman they need to provide more information in the email and make the phone system more useable.

Grandstand gets all my business now.

pearso66
10-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Mac users? How about the rest of us? The site is run like a horse's ass when you want to buy something. Last year I ordered an authentic White Sox home World Series jersey as soon as we won the ALCS. About two days later, I got an email telling me that they could not sell it to me with no explanation (the credit card was good and the site showed it in stock). They said to call their toll-free number. I called it, but when I entered my now-defunct order number it said there was not such order number and hung up on me! It took about 4 attempts to trick the phone system to give me a live person. I asked her why no jersey. It was explained that my lettering request ("13" and "Ozzie") violated the licensing agreement, but I could buy one without lettering. I ordered it, but told the woman they need to provide more information in the email and make the phone system more useable.

Grandstand gets all my business now.

That's ok, Last year I ordered 2 ALCS Programs from MLB, and got 2 NLCS programs instead. But they wouldn't let me return them, somehow 2 days after I placed my order, I got another email stating that I ordered the NLCS programs, even though the initial one said ALCS. I havn't bought anything from them since.

Brian26
10-26-2006, 09:46 PM
The site is run like a horse's ass when you want to buy something.

I agree. I've had problems with that in the past too.

However, MLB.com has taken the revolutionary lead in the field of new media, and that has become their major source of revenue. With all of the streaming video and audio offered, downloadable games, etc, it has become the standard bearer for online sports; other leagues are just now trying to emulate what they do (the NFL doesn't even run their own website...it's under the control of cbssportsline).

PKalltheway
10-27-2006, 12:30 AM
The site is run like a horse's ass when you want to buy something.
Tell me about it. When you do order something from there, it's on back order for forever. My World Champions t-shirt came pretty quickly (probably because they had a zillion of them), but my Ozzieball t-shirt I ordered was on back order until December (I ordered the shirts on Halloween last year).

chaerulez
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
And the owners say most of the teams aren't making any money...

SoxEd
10-27-2006, 12:47 PM
And the owners say most of the teams aren't making any money...

Actually, I could almost believe that the Teams don't clear that much pure profit...

...after all, it's the Teams that have to pick up all the players' salaries, the operational costs of running the stadia, etc.

The separate legal entity called the League, otoh, only really has to organise meetings and sell licensing agreements to TV/radio outlets.

Obviously, I recognise that the League does more than this (e.g. charity events etc) but if you look at how much they have to do compared to how much revenue they rake in, I'd guess that the League is a much more profitable operation than most of the actual teams - who do, after all, provide the entire raison d'Ítre of the League, and all of the 'content' that the League actually markets.

N.B. This is not some tinfoil attempt to allege that the owners don't make buckets of cash out of owning an MLB franchise - it's just that I reckon that the League has much lower overheads, and so is more profitable per dollar invested.

Now, cue someone with easily-found stats to show up exactly how half-assed my 'theory' is....
:wink:

nasox
10-27-2006, 06:52 PM
That's ok, Last year I ordered 2 ALCS Programs from MLB, and got 2 NLCS programs instead. But they wouldn't let me return them, somehow 2 days after I placed my order, I got another email stating that I ordered the NLCS programs, even though the initial one said ALCS. I havn't bought anything from them since.

Better Business Bureau, Attourney General, State AG. Contac them. A nice letter from one of these offices will get you a refund or better. That crap they pulled is illegal.

ewokpelts
10-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I've had very few problems with mlb.com. A few of the downloads arent 100% but all store orders came in fine.

pudge
10-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Great story - nice to see baseball doing something right in one arena. Seems like a win-win. Fans love the content and MLB profits.

LongLiveFisk
10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I never ordered anything from them but after reading all the horror stories following last year's Sox championship, I don't think I ever will, unless it's something so rare & unique you can't find it in Grandstand or some other local store. But a lot of the stuff I saw them selling was the same stuff I saw at Grandstand, Sports Authority, etc, so I didn't really see the purpose of waiting for it through the mail when I could just drive right to the store and avoid paying shipping costs on top of their not-so-low prices.

Of course, I realize not everyone lives in Chicago here, so hopefully you all eventually got your stuff!