PDA

View Full Version : How Have You Paid Tribute to WSox Fans Who Have Passed Away?

TomBradley72
10-26-2006, 07:37 AM
I hope this isn't a morbid subject...my Uncle Frank passed away last week (after a long illness...he was 77..so he had lived a long, full life) ...the funeral was this week. He was the lone White Sox fan among his wife and children and the only other White Sox fan in my family so we were pretty close and had alot of fun with the 2005 World Series Championship, etc.

Before I went to the viewing/wake...I grabbed one of my World Series commemorative "pins" and snuck it next to him during the viewing so it will be with him for eternity. Over the course of the evening...family/friends started to notice and it started some great story telling of his love for baseball and for the White Sox. I was a pall bearer...and my Aunt pulled me aside at the end of the funeral to thank me for doing that for him..and how much he would have loved it.

To Frank Shaw (Class of 1948, OPRFHS)...a life long White Sox fan and a great guy. :gulp:

SoxandtheCityTee
10-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Sorry for your loss.

I've seen caps, pins, tickets, etc. put in, as you did with your uncle, a number of times. At the wake of a great Sox fan who died last January there was a three-foot tall floral arrangement in the shape of the vertical S-O-X logo, perfectly executed with white flowers and flowers sprayed black. Everyone loved it.

24thStFan
10-26-2006, 09:00 AM
My condolences--leaving the pin was a very thoughtful gesture on your part.

I’ve often thought that the White Sox organization should offer families an opportunity to commemorate a loved one’s passing or to celebrate the legacy of multiple generations of Sox fans. Something like a wall or walkway with etched pavers that families could purchase “in memory of” or celebrating “three generations of Sox fans.”

Some campaign like “White Sox Generations” or “White Sox Legacies” that was done tastefully might be popular. I think I’d use such an opportunity to remember my dad, who was a great Sox fan and passed away in 2002, never getting to see his favorite team win the WS.

Blob
10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
I moved in to a new condo early last year. The man who lived downstairs was in a home before I moved in. His wife noticed I was a huge Sox fan and she told me he was a huge Sox fan.

She showed me their garage where he had Sox pennants from throughout the years tacked to the wall. She also pulled me in to her place and showed me some of his memorabilia.

He passed last year in November. Even though I had never met the man I went to his wake to pay my respects. On the way to the wake I picked up one of those small White Sox pennants and placed in on the table next to the attendance book.

His wife told me later she knew it was me who put it there and she said she placed it in the casket next to his Sox hat, he would have wanted it that way. :whiner:

Ol' No. 2
10-26-2006, 12:38 PM

I’ve often thought that the White Sox organization should offer families an opportunity to commemorate a loved one’s passing or to celebrate the legacy of multiple generations of Sox fans. Something like a wall or walkway with etched pavers that families could purchase “in memory of” or celebrating “three generations of Sox fans.”

Some campaign like “White Sox Generations” or “White Sox Legacies” that was done tastefully might be popular. I think I’d use such an opportunity to remember my dad, who was a great Sox fan and passed away in 2002, never getting to see his favorite team win the WS.This is a great idea. Email Brooks. Seriously.

bboyer@chisox.com

spiffie
10-26-2006, 12:38 PM
My grandfather was creamated. A few weeks after his death I went to the Cubs/Sox game at USCF and got there when the gates opened. I went down the railing on the third base side and proceeded to scatter a small bag of his ashes. The next year on Family Field Day I did the same thing, spreading very tiny amounts of his ashes in various places.

Iwritecode
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
My grandfather was creamated. A few weeks after his death I went to the Cubs/Sox game at USCF and got there when the gates opened. I went down the railing on the third base side and proceeded to scatter a small bag of his ashes. The next year on Family Field Day I did the same thing, spreading very tiny amounts of his ashes in various places.

Just an FYI for anyone else...

I read once that if you ask, they'll actually allow you to walk on the field and spread the ashes of your loved one around the field. You don't have to try to sneak it in.

spiffie
10-26-2006, 01:56 PM

I read once that if you ask, they'll actually allow you to walk on the field and spread the ashes of your loved one around the field. You don't have to try to sneak it in.
See, I read a few years ago that they forbade that sort of thing, hence my furtiveness.

Law11
10-26-2006, 01:59 PM
A simple ws champ flag and sox balloon at Mt. Olivet for my pops.
Of course it was stolen a week later.. but I expected that..

Myrtle72
10-26-2006, 02:32 PM
To Frank Shaw (Class of 1948, OPRFHS)...a life long White Sox fan and a great guy. :gulp:

My condolances go out to you and your family. He must have been a great guy, he was a Sox fan and he went to my high school. :D:

Really though, I am sorry about your loss.

Iwritecode
10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
See, I read a few years ago that they forbade that sort of thing, hence my furtiveness.

I think it came about because there was a story about a lady that did it on Dog Day. I guess she just brought the ashes with her and when they did the parade with the dogs around the field she spread them around. I remember at the end of the article they had someone from the team (might have been Brooks) that said all she had to do was ask. :cool:

minutia
10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
My sincerest sympathies on your lost.
My younger brother died last November and at the wake his casket was filled with Sox stuff. We burried him with a cap, a pennant, I put a lapel pin that I wore on my uniform at a trade show durring the ALCS. I just remember that a lot of people said that at least he got to see them win. I feel especially priveledge that I was able to share it with him. It was a great night for us. His grave at Holy Sepulcher spent the summer with a number of Sox flags and other items. They just took it off. One weird element is we burried him one month to the day that the Sox one it all.

24thStFan
10-26-2006, 04:25 PM
This is a great idea. Email Brooks. Seriously.

bboyer@chisox.com

Thanks, No. 2. I did send Brooks an e-mail. I'll let you know if I get a response.
BTW, Nellie was my favorite as kid, too.

24thStFan
10-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Some campaign like “White Sox Generations” or “White Sox Legacies” that was done tastefully might be popular. I think I’d use such an opportunity to remember my dad, who was a great Sox fan and passed away in 2002, never getting to see his favorite team win the WS.

As No. 2 suggested, I e-mailed Brooks with my idea. Within a matter of minutes he replied:

"Great idea. Stay tuned. We have something in the works.
Brooks
By the way, your Dad, like mine, saw every pitch.....probably from better seats."

TomBradley72
10-26-2006, 04:55 PM
My condolances go out to you and your family. He must have been a great guy, he was a Sox fan and he went to my high school. :D:

Really though, I am sorry about your loss.

Class of '80 myself...third generation...my great uncle was even expelled....

RadioheadRocks
10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I made a dedication to my aunt and my grandmother in the DEDICATED TO... book. IIRC it's on pages 157-158. I attended many games with them as a child (was good to be from the old neighborhood!), would have given anything for them to be here to experience out championship.

Myrtle72
10-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Class of '80 myself...third generation...my great uncle was even expelled....

Wow, that's crazy! I was in the class of 2003 and my brother was in the class of 1991. :cool:

kingpin_rcs
05-24-2007, 04:33 PM

I just had this put into my will. Actually written up by a lawyer, signed and noterized. Upon my death (hopefully a loooong time from now) I am to be cremated and my ashes spread "on the home field of the Chicago White Sox".

BoysMom3
05-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I am very sorry for your loss, Tom. That was a nice gesture on your part.

bryPt
05-24-2007, 05:22 PM
As No. 2 suggested, I e-mailed Brooks with my idea. Within a matter of minutes he replied:

"Great idea. Stay tuned. We have something in the works.
Brooks
By the way, your Dad, like mine, saw every pitch.....probably from better seats."

how frickin cool is that!

My father as well saw the WS in the same fashion. I was going to get him a brink in the new plaza.

michned
05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
My dad was cremated so we didn't do anything Sox-related at his Service, but during the '05 playoff run I carried around an old picture of him in my front pocket (fulfilling my dream of watching the Series with him - also put the photo in my sig here during that time).

Also, anytime I go to games (D'backs, Sox, minors, etc.) my 10-year-old wears my dad's '80s-era tri color cap, sort of a living tribute.

TomBradley72
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
It's kind of cool to see this thread "resurface"...my cousins and I have started an annual "Uncle Frank Memorial Classic" where the four of us will to to a Cubs/Sox game together each year in his honor.(two of us are WSox fans,two Cubs fans)

1st annual will be June 23rd.:gulp:

FedEx227
05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
My dad and I put a World Series Hat next to his father's gravesite. It was really great moment, just a shame he couldn't see the World Series.

Over By There
05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
My grandad is the reason I'm a Sox fan, so he's basically always in my thoughts when watching games, etc. The day he died about 15 years ago, the Sox had won their game to move into first place in the division. My dad put a newspaper clipping in my gradad's suit pocket. During the WS in '05, I brought a pennant out (as many people did) to his gravesight. And now, the coolest thing is that my dad bought a Legacy brick to dedicate to him.

I think this is really one of the neatest things about being a Sox fan... the strong bond you have with the team and with your relatives as it's passed down through the generations.

minutia
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
I bought a legacy brick for my brother who died in November of 2005, coincidentally that is how I learned of this site. A friend forwaded a link to a thread here that was discussing just how much the WS victory meant to people and there was some discussion of my brothers wake. There was Sox stuff galore. No one was more fun at a game than my brother was and we split game packages for quite a few years before he passed. So the brick is kind of an homage to both of us, both of our names are on it, since we were basically like Mutt and Jeff at games.

michned
05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
It's kind of cool to see this thread "resurface"...my cousins and I have started an annual "Uncle Frank Memorial Classic" where the four of us will to to a Cubs/Sox game together each year in his honor.(two of us are WSox fans,two Cubs fans)

1st annual will be June 23rd.

That sounds great. You should have some shirts made at CafePress to commemorate the occasion.

SOX LA Mikey
05-25-2007, 11:03 PM
That's funny, I'm OPRF class of '80 too.
my first sporting event was Cubs / Expos in '69

My first Ballgame was at Comiskey Park in '71
.....a Sox fan since

When My grandfather died in the early 80's I put a
photo that I took of him fishing (wearing his mid 70's
era SOX cap) in the casket, I still have his cap.