PDA

View Full Version : New CBA & how it will effect the draft

Fungo
10-25-2006, 11:24 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/262720.html

Some highlights...

Teams that fail to sign a first-round pick no longer receive an extra pick after the first round as compensation, but instead a virtually identical pick the following year; for example, a team that fails to sign the No. 5 pick one year will receive the No. 6 pick the next, rather than one in the 30s or 40s. The same compensation also now exists for unsigned second-round picks, while a team that fails to sign a third-round pick will receive a sandwich pick between the third and fourth rounds.

One other change to the amateur draft is a uniform signing date of Aug. 15 for all players (other than college seniors), replacing the longtime and clumsy deadline of the moment a player literally attends his first four-year college class. In addition to creating some order for all involved--from teams to players to college coaches wanting an earlier idea of their incoming class--this also eliminates the junior-college, draft-and-follow rule in which players who attended two-year schools could sign with their drafting club until one week before the following draft.

Rather than teams being allowed three years (for players signed at age 19 or older) or four years (for players 18 and younger) before leaving them off the 40-man roster subjects them to the Rule 5 draft, those periods have been lengthened to four and five. Ownership considered this a significant boost in their efforts to operate their minor league systems more effectively.

The Sox BTW will select 25th in this years draft.

The Wall
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
The Sox BTW will select 25th in this years draft.

How is that order determined? By regular season records? I like the idea of extra year for Rule 5 Draft. Does this apply to our existing minor leaguers or only to the ones drafted after this CBA comes into effect (which means next draft?)

Randar68
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/news/262720.html

Some highlights...

I like all the changes except the elimination of the draft-and-follow rule. I felt that was a good rule for all involved.

Randar68
10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
How is that order determined? By regular season records? I like the idea of extra year for Rule 5 Draft. Does this apply to our existing minor leaguers or only to the ones drafted after this CBA comes into effect (which means next draft?)

Yes and I believe it will apply to current minor leaguers, but I have not seen that clarified.

Fungo
10-25-2006, 01:49 PM
I like all the changes except the elimination of the draft-and-follow rule. I felt that was a good rule for all involved.I liked the dfe rule myself and I'd expect at least a slight drop in the talent at the JuCo level because of this.

Edit:
After thinking about this, maybe it goes another way with team ponying up more money at the risk of losing such players. Talent stays about the same and teams are forced to pay the players they really want. We'll see.

MadetoOrta
10-25-2006, 02:53 PM
This is great news for Division 1 baseball programs and not so good news for Jucos. Interesting. The change in the Rule 5 draft will hurt teams that scout particularly well such as the Twins.

the gooch
10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
does anybody think that teams will intentionally not sign 1st round picks in a poor draft class so that they can get two 1st round picks the following year with perhaps better talent?