PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-26

Lip Man 1
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM
October 26, 1931 - Sox owner Charles Comiskey dies in his home in Eagle River, Wisconsin. He leaves his entire estate to his son J. Louis Comiskey including the White Sox. His estate is valued at over one and a half million dollars.

October 26, 2005 - On this night the Sox become World Series Champions for the first time since 1917. Freddy Garcia and three relief pitchers shut out the Astros on five hits 1 - 0. The Sox shut out Houston for the final 15 innings in series play. The South Side of Chicago explodes in an orgy of delight as fans celebrate all over the area.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/27/OpYU8exz.jpg

Lip

chisoxmike
10-25-2006, 11:33 AM
October 26, 2005 - On this night the Sox become World Series Champions for the first time since 1917. Freddy Garcia and three relief pitchers shut out the Astros on five hits 1 - 0. The Sox shut out Houston for the final 15 innings in series play. The South Side of Chicago explodes in an orgy of delight as fans celebrate all over the area.

Lip

I've said since that night if I could relive any day of my life, it would be October 26, 2005.

Man that night was amazing.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3032

davenicholson
10-25-2006, 11:44 AM
A day I will never forget. Not nearly as much fun as being there for the exciting Game 2 victory, though--I was alone in my hotel room in Alexandria, VA. I did go out to the parking lot and honk my rental car's horn, though.:redneck Then I went back up to my room and started clicking on WS05 stuff on mlb.com like a madman. Luckily, I was just barely sober enough to clear out my shopping cart of all but a couple of things before clicking "Submit".

ChiSoxGirl
10-25-2006, 11:46 AM

Lip

This is the greatest, most unforgettable night of my life as a Sox fan, and images like this bring me to tears almost like clockwork.

I've said since that night if I could relive any day of my life, it would be October 26, 2005.

You said it! I'd definitely love to relive 10.26.05. The chaos of everything that was that night is indescribable.

lakeviewsoxfan
10-25-2006, 11:49 AM
The whole experience is something I will tell my Grandchildren about, from the 4 complete games in the ALCS, to the bullpens performance in Game 1 of the WS to PK's Granny and Pods walk-off, the draining game 3 with the unlikeliest of heroes at the end, and culminating with the 1-0 victory to clinch it It was the most exciting month of my life. The parade is the single most exciting event I have ever been to it was truly amazing. Now I propose a toast to the best baseball TEAM I will probably ever see.

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

kraut83
10-25-2006, 11:54 AM
The fact that both games 3 and 4 were won the same day makes it even more amazing! :bandance:

jdm2662
10-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Wow, does time fly. Hard to believe it's been a whole year already. I was happy and relieved after this night. I was actually looking forward to getting some sleep. It felt like I haven't slept in a month.

MadetoOrta
10-25-2006, 12:06 PM
The fact that both games 3 and 4 were won the same day makes it even more amazing! :bandance:

No doubt. It's a fact that seems to be overlooked. The Sox won 2 World Series games on the SAME DAY! Trivia buffs will have a field day in the 22nd Century.

Gotta pull out the DVDs tonight.

Ol' No. 2
10-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Lip
That can't be right. I read in the Tribune that no one paid much attention.

gobears1987
10-25-2006, 12:15 PM
That was a great day!:)

batmanZoSo
10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Quite an orgy indeed. Bridgeport was good, solid times afterwards. It was nuts.

I want Mags back
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM
whats really crazy, is that they actually won game 3 and 4 during that day:D:

jenn2080
10-25-2006, 12:33 PM
I still do not have words for how amazing that night and that whole month were. That was THE best day of my life. Randoms hugging randoms, tears of joy and all of us happy for the same reason. That night will be unforgetable.

jenn2080
10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
That can't be right. I read in the Tribune that no one paid much attention.

We also didnt have a lot of people at the parade. :rolleyes: LOSERS!

palehozenychicty
10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
The Cubune. A sad, sad piece of toilet paper. Not only did the Sox win two WS games, my brother celebrated his birthday. You can't front on that day at all!:D:

23Ventura
10-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Certainly the best day of my life.

Lip Man 1
10-25-2006, 01:37 PM
Roland Hemond celebrated his birthday that same evening and got the most special present possible...a World Series crown.

As he told me once, the feeling that you get when you are a part of something like that is so special that it makes you want to get up in the morning, go out to the ballpark and do it again and again and again.

As for me I was watching at home with my wife and just at the exact moment of the final out, just as the players started running to the mound in celebration, our door bell rang.

I opened it and it was my friend, Frank Mercogliano, the Sports Information Director for Idaho State University.

I said something like 'what the hell are you doing here?' and he said 'come out here,' I thought maybe something happened.

When I stepped away from the house he pulled out an open bottle of champagne he was hiding behind his back and started pouring it on me! It was amazing. (and yes I still have the bottle!)

Lip

twentywontowin
10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
I remember the bottom of the ninth like no other, even with the 12 pack of Molson Ice I already had in me to calm my nerves. My dad who just moved to Florida the year before called me, and we both couldn't believe it was going to happen in three short outs. I was watching at a friends apartment.

When Uribe caught the ball in the stands, we both went crazy on the phone in disbelief. That's when we knew the Sox weren't going to blow this one.

Then when Uribe threw over to Konerko for the last out, I remember yelling and screaming on the phone with my dad, but everything else around me went black, couldn't tell you what happened for the next five minutes besides spraying bottles of champagne all over each other in the apartment.

The next morning was the day to collect all the newspapers and enjoy the glory. Even to this day, I'm still in a sort of disbelief that it actually did happen.

Something I'll never forget and tell my kids one day.

WS in 05
10-25-2006, 02:29 PM
What was the time again?

cbotnyse
10-25-2006, 02:30 PM
It was a great day and a day I'll never forget. Thank you White Sox. Thank you. :gulp: :) :) :) :) :)

DumpJerry
10-25-2006, 02:46 PM
What was the time again?
11:00 p.m. Check the stuck thread in the Pick To Click Gameday board for when it ended.

I'm getting choked up just reading this thread and remembering that nght. Ok, I've been thinking about that night for 363 nights in a row now.

I did not know the Charles Comiskey died on 10-26. How errie is that? The man who caused the 1919 scandal dies on the same day the ghosts are vindicated. Baseball is wierd that way......

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

palehozenychicty
10-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Even to this day, I'm still in a sort of disbelief that it actually did happen.

The key statement right here. I remember telling my buddy that spring to watch out for the Sox that year, if the Cubans throw well. But nobody could honestly have expected a World Series title in ST. That is the beauty of that season, and baseball in general. You just never know.

soxfanatlanta
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
11:00 p.m. Check the stuck thread in the Pick To Click Gameday board for when it ended.

It was 12:00 AM on the East Coast, and like I mentioned before, my son turned 1. The previous year, the night he was born, the Red Sox won the series (full lunar eclipse to boot).

Not a bad two years, no?

Over By There
10-25-2006, 03:15 PM
A night none of us will ever forget...

Watching the postseason this year without the Sox has sucked. Now that I've had a taste of playing late into October, I need it every year. :smile:

whitesoxfan1986
10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Even though the Sox swept the series, Every game was exciting and close. What was the score of Game 1 again? I remember it being close and Jenks had to strike out Bagwell in the 8th in order to keep the Astros from tying the game. I could be talking about game 2 though. Of course Pods' walkoff will always be ingrained in my sports memory. I had a class in college at 9 AM the on 10/26 but I absolutely had to stay up to watch the conclusion of game 3. And who can forget that the tying run was on 3rd in game 4 when it ended?

lakeviewsoxfan
10-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Even though the Sox swept the series, Every game was exciting and close. What was the score of Game 1 again? I remember it being close and Jenks had to strike out Bagwell in the 8th in order to keep the Astros from tying the game. I could be talking about game 2 though. Of course Pods' walkoff will always be ingrained in my sports memory. I had a class in college at 9 AM the on 10/26 but I absolutely had to stay up to watch the conclusion of game 3. And who can forget that the tying run was on 3rd in game 4 when it ended?

5-3

The tying run was on 2nd.

jenn2080
10-25-2006, 03:55 PM
I remember the bottom of the ninth like no other, even with the 12 pack of Molson Ice I already had in me to calm my nerves. My dad who just moved to Florida the year before called me, and we both couldn't believe it was going to happen in three short outs. I was watching at a friends apartment.

When Uribe caught the ball in the stands, we both went crazy on the phone in disbelief. That's when we knew the Sox weren't going to blow this one.

Then when Uribe threw over to Konerko for the last out, I remember yelling and screaming on the phone with my dad, but everything else around me went black, couldn't tell you what happened for the next five minutes besides spraying bottles of champagne all over each other in the apartment.

The next morning was the day to collect all the newspapers and enjoy the glory. Even to this day, I'm still in a sort of disbelief that it actually did happen.

I had to get up and turn the tv on because I was not really sure if it was for real. Oh it was. I will take that month long hang over and the stomach flu any day to experience that again.

credefan24
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
I will never forget Oct 26, for the rest of my days. The best day of my life. Beats graduation, passing the bar, anything... as of right now.

I will never forget my dad, standing up with his hands on his head, and jumping so high that he nearly touched the ceiling with the final out.
I will never forget the tears, the hugs, and the utter joy of our white sox being crowned world champs. Never.

Lets Do It Again.
And Again.

DumpJerry
10-25-2006, 04:26 PM
The key statement right here. I remember telling my buddy that spring to watch out for the Sox that year, if the Cubans throw well. But nobody could honestly have expected a World Series title in ST. That is the beauty of that season, and baseball in general. You just never know.
I was skiing in Utah in Feb. '05 during Super Bowl weekend. The day after the Super Bowl, I was in line getting food on the mountain and the guy in front of me had a Red Sox hat on. I congratulated him on the Pats' victory. He told "we're working on a dynasty." I told him they had one already with the Pats' string of SB victories. The guy then mentioned that they also had the Red Sox. I told him "this October, the headlines will read 'Sox Win the World Series' but won't say 'again'." It took him a second to realize what I said and then smiled at me.

I wish I had some way to contact that guy to let him know this weekend's Lottery numbers......

whitesoxfan1986
10-25-2006, 04:35 PM
5-3

Was the tying run on 2nd in game 1 or 4? I'm pretty sure it was on 3rd in game 4.

lakeviewsoxfan
10-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Was the tying run on 2nd in game 1 or 4? I'm pretty sure it was on 3rd in game 4.

In Game 1 the tying run was on 3rd.

batmanZoSo
10-25-2006, 04:53 PM

I'm getting choked up just reading this thread and remembering that nght. Ok, I've been thinking about that night for 363 nights in a row now.

I did not know the Charles Comiskey died on 10-26. How errie is that? The man who caused the 1919 scandal dies on the same day the ghosts are vindicated. Baseball is wierd that way......

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

There are some other eerie facts if I remember correctly.

The 1918 Red Sox won the World Series and the pro hockey league at the time went on strike in the offseason, followed by a 1919 Sox pennant.

Then in 2004, the Red sox won it all, followed by an NHL strike, followed by...a Sox pennant, only we didn't screw it up this time.

wilburaga
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Happy Anniversary to Us.

W

credefan24
10-25-2006, 05:17 PM
There are some other eerie facts if I remember correctly.

The 1918 Red Sox won the World Series and the pro hockey league at the time went on strike in the offseason, followed by a 1919 Sox pennant.

Then in 2004, the Red sox won it all, followed by an NHL strike, followed by...a Sox pennant, only we didn't screw it up this time.

Also, Edgar Rentaria made the last out for the Cardinals to give the Red Sox the title. Rentaria's number? 3.

grinderrule#1
10-25-2006, 05:25 PM
you guys wana hear a cool story? my 16th bday was oct 26 2005. as a surprise gift i got to go to housten. I met AJ at the cheese cake factory, had a good baseball talk (all that talk about him bein a "bad guy" off the field is not true) and i got to go to the game and saw my boys win it all. words can not discribe how cool that was. Im thinkin of tellen MTV and maby get a spot on "my super sweet 16"

chisoxmike
10-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Im thinkin of tellen MTV and maby get a spot on "my super sweet 16"

:?:

Well, you would have to recreate the entire thing.

And also, that show is for snotty, rich, white girls that cry and cry when their parents (who can't control their kids) don't let them fly to Spain to pick out their party dress (but then cave) or when a rapper can't sing at their party. (But then send them a satellite Happy D-Day wish.)

lakeviewsoxfan
10-25-2006, 05:32 PM
:?:

Well, you would have to recreate the entire thing.

And also, that show is for snotty, rich, white girls that cry and cry when their parents (who can't control their kids) don't let them fly to Spain to pick out their party dress (but then cave) or when a rapper can't sing at their party. (But then send them a satellite Happy D-Day wish.)

That show sucks.

batmanZoSo
10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Also, Edgar Rentaria made the last out for the Cardinals to give the Red Sox the title. Rentaria's number? 3.

And?

Was Orlando Palmeiro's number also 3? :?:

bryPt
10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
I was in a bar in the middle of Wrigleyville West (Glen Ellyn) with my neighbor. My wife who I spent the other 2 "best nights of my life" with (our marriage and Superbowl 31 in new orleans) was at home, sleeping. Paulie caught the final out, the place exploded and everyone ran out onto Roosevelt Road and then we booked home. I came running into the house to find my wife sleeping. I woke her up and she said "have fun celebrating" then went back to sleep. After calling my sister and other friends trying to get them to go downtown to party, I gave up and went back into the bedroom and stood next to the bed for 4 freaking hours flicking inbetween channels watching the coverage, hyperventilating and crying. I now know what it feels to go into shock, I didn't move for 4 hours. I ended up just saying screw it and went to work at 5 AM.

Did anyone else sleep that week? I think I got about 5 hours a sleep the entire playoff and WS run.

OEO Magglio
10-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Did anyone else sleep that week? I think I got about 5 hours a sleep the entire playoff and WS run.
No. My life basically shut down that month. I'd wake up, maybe go to class then come back and wait for the Sox games to start. It was pretty pathetic but The Sox were the only thing that mattered.

aryzner
10-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Best day EVER.

cbotnyse
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
No. My life basically shut down that month. I'd wake up, maybe go to class then come back and wait for the Sox games to start. It was pretty pathetic but The Sox were the only thing that mattered.believe me, everyone else on this site is just as pathetic.:smile:

OEO Magglio
10-25-2006, 07:11 PM
believe me, everyone else on this site is just as pathetic.:smile:
Oh I know. We're all pathetic.:cool:

batmanZoSo
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
No. My life basically shut down that month. I'd wake up, maybe go to class then come back and wait for the Sox games to start. It was pretty pathetic but The Sox were the only thing that mattered.

I had a Wednesday night class (7-950) that semester. Worst possible time of day and worst day of the week because we all know how big Wednesdays were. I skipped every class that fell on a game night without thinking twice, it was a given. I even told my professor "can I have the homework, because I'm not gonna be here next week, I'll be watching baseball."

esbrechtel
10-25-2006, 07:13 PM
i went to the united center to watch that final game and it was awesome....i will never ever forget that or being one of the first to own 2005 world series champs pennant

flo-B-flo
10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
.......for 4 freaking hours flicking in between channels watching the coverage, hyperventilating and crying. I now know what it feels to go into shock, I didn't move for 4 hours. I ended up just saying screw it and went to work at 5 AM.

Did anyone else sleep that week? I think I got about 5 hours a sleep the entire playoff and WS run. This is about what I did until I went to work at 5:30. Totally in disbelief. Tears, memories, and laughing jags. The whole month I slept maybe 10 hours. And I'd do it again in a heart beat.:whiner:

Ziggy S
10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
After Uribe's two plays (the foul out where he dove into the stands and the slow grounder to Konerko) I just screamed for at least 45 minutes. Game 3 was weird and I was almost going through cardiac arrest watching the game on my little TV in my barracks room. All I have to say about our one run in Game 4 is Jermaine Dye is Your Father.

October26
10-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Oh happy day! You are finally here. I gotta get all my World Series stuff out and celebrate!:bandance: :) :bandance:

Like all White Sox fans, I waited along time for October 26, 2005. And now that we've had a taste of what it is like to be World Champions, I wanna do it again!

I'll never forget October 26, 2005 but I hope to live to see my beloved White Sox be World Champions again. And again ...

Chicago
10-25-2006, 08:53 PM
i went to the united center to watch that final game and it was awesome....i will never ever forget that or being one of the first to own 2005 world series champs pennant

I was there for game 4 too ... bought 2 pennants :D:

drove from the U.C. to bridgeport and took my place in the line of cars circling the newely champed South Side.

10.26.05 :gulp:

which is tomorrow

Dan the Man
10-25-2006, 09:05 PM
Unbelievable. I cried, yelled, hugged, jumped, cried some more, ran around screaming. I could not believe it. The White Sox did it. I can honestly live without another Sox championship in my lifetime, just the memory of that night is enough for me. I LUVVVVED THAT TEAM

:supernana: :bandance: :whiner: :supernana: :bandance: :gulp: :supernana: :whiner: :bandance: :supernana:

By the way, this postseason sucks, and when I say I can live without another title, doesn't mean I won't be pissed if the Sox never win again.

michned
10-26-2006, 01:17 AM
It was an extra special day for me. Not only did the Sox win Game 3, Game 4, and the championship, but I was given an expanded sales territory at work that day that meant about a 30% pay raise for me.

But the greatest memory I'll take from that time was the overwhelming feeling that my Dad was right beside me for those three weeks in October. Must have been that old picture of him holding a northern pike in his tri-color Sox cap that I carried in my pocket every day that month.

Of course, I had a disappointing '06 just like the Sox, as my company restructured in September and gave me the pink slip!

Ziggy S
10-26-2006, 02:18 AM
I was on shift watching AFN Sports and during the rain delay, last year's World Series film was shown again. Man, that brought chills to me. I was cheering along with the 46 pitch inning off Oswalt, Pods' homerun, Konerko's slam, Buehrle's save, Jenks overall, Uribe's plays of course, BLUM, Dye in general, and last but certainly not least Garcia's 7 shutout innings in Game 4, driving that shift's NCO a little nuts; he told me to turn down the volume on the screen. Note to self:When you get back to Colorado in about eight to nine days, buy or order the White Sox World Series DVD Box Set and the White Sox Pride Disc. If other soldiers were not around me, I would have weeped with joy while watching the wonderous events unfolding before my very eyes once again. White Sox Rule.

jenn2080
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kKfthfmS5Ik (http://youtube.com/watch?v=kKfthfmS5Ik)[/URL]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hma9eEqouK8 (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hma9eEqouK8). (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hma9eEqouK8)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIiibFWbeRQ (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIiibFWbeRQ) [URL="http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hma9eEqouK8"]

Beer Can Chicken
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I remember telling my Cubs fan turned SOX fan during the playoffs boss that morning, "You know I'm not coming in tomorrow if they win it all tonight." He said "I know"
I don't even know what time I got home that night.

Britt Burns
10-26-2006, 12:18 PM
YES!!! I was there. What an incredible experience.

bryPt
10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
But the greatest memory I'll take from that time was the overwhelming feeling that my Dad was right beside me for those three weeks in October. Must have been that old picture of him holding a northern pike in his tri-color Sox cap that I carried in my pocket every day that month.

I remember yelling and jumping around at the bar and grabbing my car keys to split. My father's dogtag is on it and I was holding the dogtag so tight I thought it cut through my palm. He took me every year on my birthday to a Sox game if they were home until he passed away during the strike season (no less). He was there watching, I know it, just like every other sox fan that has gone to the next stage.

Chicago
10-26-2006, 01:35 PM
For those who may not have seen it... This was the video slide show I made and posted before opening day of '06. Its my 2005 season recap video.

Win Or Die Trying (http://www.didactikid.com/win.or.die.trying.wmv)

jenn2080
10-26-2006, 02:15 PM
I remember telling my Cubs fan turned SOX fan during the playoffs boss that morning, "You know I'm not coming in tomorrow if they win it all tonight." He said "I know"
I don't even know what time I got home that night.

I got home at 4 am. I had to be to work at 7. I did nothing and drank a lot of coffee. I got home from work and slept for 5pm to 5:30 am the next morning.

stl_sox_fan
10-26-2006, 02:21 PM
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_26):

2005 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005) - The Chicago White Sox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_White_Sox) defeat the Houston Astros (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Astros) in the World Series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Series) to win their first championship since 1917 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917).A glorious day indeed.

kevingrt
10-26-2006, 03:41 PM
"It's a WHITE SOX WINNER and a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!"

MarySwiss
10-26-2006, 04:30 PM
I went to Skip and Jan's, my Tempe Sox/Bears hangout, for lunch today. (That's where some of us Arizona WSIers got together last year for playoff games, so where else would I go to commemorate the occasion?) I was dressed in my World Series Locker Room T-shirt and my Sox earrings. I ran into some Bears fans there and reminded them that one year ago today was the greatest day in sports history!
IMO, October 26th will always be a national holiday. :D:

MDF3530
10-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Next to the days my nieces (6/26/99 and 4/10/03) and nephew (4/12/01) were born, 10/26/05 was the best day of my life.

MeteorsSox4367
10-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Along with the days my nephews and niece were born, the day my sister was married, my parents' 40th anniversary and the day my two best friends since childhood were married, that was one of the best days of my life.

Even now listening to all the clips and watching the highlights of last season brings a tear of joy to my eye.

I write this as I look up at all the Sox stuff hanging in my cube at work.

Damn, it's good to be a Sox fan.

michned
10-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Damn, it's good to be a Sox fan.

So small, so simple, but what a beautiful sentence!

JohnTucker0814
10-27-2006, 03:20 PM
05 will be one of the best years of my life! My daughter was born in January and I got to spend the entire year watching the sox and enjoying the World Series with my father that has been a fan since he was a kid growing up in the '50's. What a tremendous year... everytime I hear Rooney say "that's a White Sox Winner and a World Championship" I leterally get goose bumps and start to tear up. Of course I hold back the tears cause I'm a "guy". haha

Region Rat
10-29-2006, 11:40 PM
We had been working hard all day getting ready to Deploy to Iraq. The Vehicles and equipment were all packed up and on their way to the ports. The duty day was just about over and I was ready to sit down to a case of PBR, and Game 4. but we were put on lockdown :angry: :whiner: :angry: :whiner: because some idiot in Bravo BTRY had misplaced a radio.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: . I was goin insane. I called my Dad back home repeatdly for updates. finally in the 5th inning they found the radio (3 towns over in a vechle headed for port), we were dissmissed. I raced to the Class 6:gulp: (beer store) raced back to my room, drank my 12 pack of PBR, and watched Da Southsiders win it all. I almost missed the greatest day of my life.

IronFisk
10-31-2006, 02:22 AM

I'm still amazed you wrote that piece within a few hours of almost freezing to death out there - truly a REAL fan! :cool:

IronFisk
10-31-2006, 02:23 AM
You said it! I'd definitely love to relive 10.26.05. The chaos of everything that was that night is indescribable.

Yeah, and your theme song should be "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" :redneck.