PDA

View Full Version : Liriano headed for surgery?

lakeviewsoxfan
10-25-2006, 11:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2637773

He has a world of talent. If this is true horrible mis-management by Gardenhire and staff.

s.dedalus
10-25-2006, 11:30 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2637773

He has a world of talent. If this is true horrible mis-management by Gardenhire and staff.

They sent him to Ft. Myers for a carefully monitored rehab to see if surgery could be avoided. Even if it turns out not to be unavoidable, I'm not sure how that consistutes "horrible mis-management". It's not like his arm just flew out of its socket as he was throwing unsupervised 90mph sliders off a mound. The Twins aren't the Cubs, and they've got a pretty solid track record of conservatism regarding their pitcher's health.

lakeviewsoxfan
10-25-2006, 11:37 AM
They sent him to Ft. Myers for a carefully monitored rehab to see if surgery could be avoided. Even if it turns out not to be unavoidable, I'm not sure how that consistutes "horrible mis-management". It's not like his arm just flew out of its socket as he was throwing unsupervised 90mph sliders off a mound. The Twins aren't the Cubs, and they've got a pretty solid track record of conservatism regarding their pitcher's health.

They brought him back to pitch when he should have been shut down for the remainder of the season. Not very conservative in my eyes.

:dumbass:

s.dedalus
10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
He went through a pretty carefully monitored rehab program for a month before his September start, all with the knowledge that if he experienced any setback, they'd shut him down for the rest of the season. When he had a setback, they ended his season.

Now, after consulting with three orthodpedic surgeons, they decided to see if surgery could be avoided. I think the instinct to see if invasive surgery could be avoided if at all possible is kind of hard to disagree with, particularly if they weren't dogmatic about not having surgery. Sometimes, pitchers get injured. It doesn't have to be the result of mismanagement. And luckily, in the 21st century, players can come back from pretty serious problems.

But whatever. I'm not entirely encouraged that any interesting conversation will come out of this since you resorted to name calling after being disagreed with once. So feel free to continue thinking whatever you like.

CHISOXFAN13
10-25-2006, 06:37 PM
They brought him back to pitch when he should have been shut down for the remainder of the season. Not very conservative in my eyes.

:dumbass:

Are you a doctor? Did you examine Liriano's arm? He was cleared to pitch, yet you blast Gardenhire and ten cann someone a dumbass.

Pot meet kettle.

Trav
10-25-2006, 06:41 PM
He went through a pretty carefully monitored rehab program for a month before his September start, all with the knowledge that if he experienced any setback, they'd shut him down for the rest of the season. When he had a setback, they ended his season.

Now, after consulting with three orthodpedic surgeons, they decided to see if surgery could be avoided. I think the instinct to see if invasive surgery could be avoided if at all possible is kind of hard to disagree with, particularly if they weren't dogmatic about not having surgery. Sometimes, pitchers get injured. It doesn't have to be the result of mismanagement. And luckily, in the 21st century, players can come back from pretty serious problems.

But whatever. I'm not entirely encouraged that any interesting conversation will come out of this since you resorted to name calling after being disagreed with once. So feel free to continue thinking whatever you like.

I agree with you. The Twins know that they have a possible Santana Jr. on their hands and I don't think they were taking a huge risk with the kid by letting him pitch again in 2006.

southside rocks
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Liriano pitched 121 innings for the Twins this year and he's 23 years old. He's pitched more than that in his minor-league seasons the last two years, IIRC. It's impossible to say whether the Twins overused him or misused him, since we don't know anything about his arm, how it felt, his physical health and stamina -- we don't know anything.

This is something that varies enormously from one pitcher to another. Look at the innings that Bob Gibson threw, and the wear and tear that his arm was subjected to -- he retired without having needed any surgeries. Then you find a Mark Prior who can't pitch for two years in a row without all kinds of problems. So much depends on the pitcher's body, and the style of delivery he has.

It's too bad that Liriano's rehab didn't go well. If he has to have TJ surgery, it will take a bite out of the next couple of years of his career. I'd be sorry to see that happen.

OEO Magglio
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
He will never be healthy for a season. Way too much pressure on his elbow with his delivery and his slider.

INSox56
10-26-2006, 11:12 AM
He will never be healthy for a season. Way too much pressure on his elbow with his delivery and his slider.

Not just throwing it, but the amount of times he throws it. The majority of pitches he throws are sliders, that's not supposed to happen. Evidently he's had elbow surgery before this problem.

the gooch
10-26-2006, 11:25 AM
his service time will continue to run, right?
the sooner he prices himself out of the twins rotation the better.

FedEx227
10-26-2006, 11:31 AM
The majority of pitches he throws are sliders, that's not supposed to happen.

Kiko Calero?

soxinem1
10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Not just throwing it, but the amount of times he throws it. The majority of pitches he throws are sliders, that's not supposed to happen. Evidently he's had elbow surgery before this problem.

I remember reading somewhere he had arm surgery with the Giants and missed most of 2003, which is why SF was not concerned when they gave him up for AJ.

I don't think he was mismanaged by the Twins staff, nor do I think they rushed him back.

But pitchers with wicked deliveries that rely on sliders or curves heavilly tend to have this happen to them.

Hey, if he feels he was mismanaged he can ask for his release and have a fresh start in Chicago!!!

FedEx227
10-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Hey, if he feels he was mismanaged he can ask for his release and have a fresh start in Chicago!!!

Hmmm, I likey!

MadetoOrta
10-27-2006, 10:02 AM
If he goes under the knife he's done for 2007. Losing Radke and Liriano going into 2007 is not good for the Twinkies. I wish the kid well.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-27-2006, 02:52 PM

If the Cubs get wind of this, they will be knocking on his door.

spiffie
10-27-2006, 04:25 PM
If he goes under the knife he's done for 2007. Losing Radke and Liriano going into 2007 is not good for the Twinkies. I wish the kid well.
And we all eagerly await what Class A player the Twinks will bring up who will of course immediately put up a 3.50 ERA and keep them in the division race. **** I hate them.

MrX
11-01-2006, 01:03 PM
They haven't had contact with him since he has left 10 days ago and sound like they are planning right now for not having him next season. Poor Twinkees.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15897599.htm

zmz723
11-03-2006, 08:26 PM
ESPN just reported that liriano will undergo tommy john surgery and miss next season. :o:

Brian26
11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
ESPN just reported that liriano will undergo tommy john surgery and miss next season.

That's a shame. Even though a lot of guys have made successful comebacks lately from Tommy John, there is no guarantee. He may never be the same pitcher again.

jabrch
11-04-2006, 11:22 AM
Poor kid - I truly feel for him.

But our chances sure look better. That said, Santana, Bonsner, Silva, Garza and probably Baker isn't a bad rotation - just a young one.

caulfield12
11-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Kiko Calero?

Luis Vizcaino?

thomas35forever
11-04-2006, 02:03 PM
They didn't say it was Tommy John surgery, but I still feel sorry for him. Hopefully, he won't join the ranks of Wood and Prior.

oeo
11-04-2006, 02:08 PM
They didn't say it was Tommy John surgery, but I still feel sorry for him. Hopefully, he won't join the ranks of Wood and Prior.

The Minnesota Twins announced on Friday that Liriano will undergo "Tommy John" surgery Monday in Los Angeles and likely miss the entire 2007 campaign.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2648587

BA: The Hitman
11-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Never like to see anybody get hurt, but this won't hurt the Sox next year........very poor job by the twins and their staff, this guy should have been shut down when he first started experiencing pain, maybe everyone will stop talking about how great gardenhire is for a little bit.

oeo
11-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Never like to see anybody get hurt, but this won't hurt the Sox next year........very poor job by the twins and their staff, this guy should have been shut down when he first started experiencing pain, maybe everyone will stop talking about how great gardenhire is for a little bit.

They obviously thought he was going to be okay. They're not the Cubs and I have a hard time believing they would make that decisions just so they could get to the postseason.

I also have a hard time believing that he wouldn't need it eventually, anyway. Whether this offseason or sometime next year, he was going to be under the knife.

FedEx227
11-04-2006, 06:40 PM
They obviously thought he was going to be okay. They're not the Cubs and I have a hard time believing they would make that decisions just so they could get to the postseason.

Do you remember the conversations between Liriano and the Twins medical staff. Liriano told the press it was definetly his elbow while the Twins continued to claim it was his wrist, this went on for maybe 2-3 weeks.

SOXSINCE'70
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
It's a shame this had to happen to such a young pitcher,
but the Twinks will find a way to be just enough of a pain
in the ass to their division rivals in 2007.:angry:

FedEx227
11-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Luis Vizcaino?

::shiver::

But it just goes to show it doesn't matter exactly what type of pitch. albeit the slider is probably the worst on the arm, but there are pitchers all over the league who throw very little besides the slider, Kiko Calero being the best example, I remember hearing an interview where he said he throws upwards of 85-90% sliders.

ChiSoxLifer
11-04-2006, 07:47 PM
While I hate to see a great young talent get injured, this goes a long ways toward the White Sox repeating their division championship in 2007. (2006 never happened)

23Ventura
11-04-2006, 08:16 PM
And we all eagerly await what Class A player the Twinks will bring up who will of course immediately put up a 3.50 ERA and keep them in the division race. **** I hate them.
I'm afraid you're probably correct. That's pretty much what they do every ****ing year.