PDA

View Full Version : is it any wonder why buehrle....

baggio202
03-03-2002, 02:25 PM
wants to go to st louis??

cheap ass reinsdorf makes me want to puke

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/0303/1344755.html

doublem23
03-03-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
wants to go to st louis??

Not this conversation again.

czalgosz
03-03-2002, 02:31 PM
I think that if the Sox had a rookie position player that put up those kind of numbers, they would give him big money. But Reinsdorf has a philosophy about pitchers - they are too unreliable to spend a lot on. The few times that Reinsdorf's been convinced to spend big on a pitcher, it's come back to bite him, and so far, guys who the Sox have let go (Jack McDowell, Alex Fernandez, Wilson Alvarez, Melido Perez, Greg Hibbard, LaMarr Hoyt, etc., etc...) have done nothing to prove him wrong.

That said, the kind of money that they are apart by (less than $100,000) doesn't seem like enough to fuss over, by today's standards. But, again, it's not my money.

Lisa
03-03-2002, 02:36 PM
Sorry Baggio - but I'm a little irritated with Buehrle whining about his contract. I love Mark, and I want to keep him on the team, and I think he's going to have a long, very good if not great career. However, the fact is Buehrle only had ONE GOOD YEAR. If he performs this year at the same or better level, I'll be yelling for JR to give him a fat raise. But there are a whole lotta pitchers (and ex-pitchers) out there who had one good year and never played at the same level again. If St. Louis wants to tie up Pujols, fine. I have no problem with that. But I think Mark can wait another year. If for some reason he crashes and burns (god forbid), the Sox haven't thrown a lot of money at him. If he has another good year, he'll only have more leverage for a better contract than he would this year. It benefits both sides.

I almost never say this phrase in relation to the Sox, but...it was a good business decision.

baggio202
03-03-2002, 02:48 PM
lisa...its 100 grand they are apart on....that equivilent to me buying you a beer at comiskey for getting me those bears tickets last year ..btw..thanks again..and i will get ya abeer..or 4..this year:)

i look at it as if we give buehrle a bone now and he proves to be the real deal..when free agent time rolls round for him if he looks back on his time here as not being "ugly"..he might stay for less...if he was asing for a million it would be different..but 100 grand???...thats nothing when you have a 55 million dollar payroll.

Lisa
03-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Baggio - I only drink margaritas :D: And I'm thinking we'll swap our fair share of alcoholic beverages this season, based on past experience. Can't wait!

As far as Buehrle goes, correct me if I'm wrong (because I might be on this), but can't the Sox renegotiate his salary during the season? If that's the case, I'm thinking give him his money when he's pitched a couple months, just to make sure. And don't forget the slippery slope theory - if Buehrle gets his money now, how many other players are going to want it? We have a lot of really young players performing at a higher-than-expected rate. Plus, in the next year or two, our salaries are going to go up considerably. So I understand them treading carefully here.

Maybe the Sox should have given it to him, I don't know. What bugs me is that after only one good year, Mark's already making salary demands. IMO, you need to pitch at a high level for at least two years to say you deserve anything.

voodoochile
03-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
As far as Buehrle goes, correct me if I'm wrong (because I might be on this), but can't the Sox renegotiate his salary during the season? If that's the case, I'm thinking give him his money when he's pitched a couple months, just to make sure. And don't forget the slippery slope theory - if Buehrle gets his money now, how many other players are going to want it? We have a lot of really young players performing at a higher-than-expected rate. Plus, in the next year or two, our salaries are going to go up considerably. So I understand them treading carefully here.

That is exactly why Buehrle expected more money, because they gave Parque the 3 year/$3 million contract after his first year, and Buehrle was even better last year than Butter was his first year, way better...

Lisa
03-03-2002, 03:42 PM
Yep, but I would think that would support why the Sox didn't give him the money. Parque never really got on track and fulfilled expectations, so the money was not only thrown away in a sense, but now when they renegotiate/resign Parque, they're starting from an inflated figure. If Buehrle is confident in his abilities, why can't he wait a yea and then put it on the table? I guess it just bugs me to see really young players pulling contract crap this early.

RichH55
03-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
Yep, but I would think that would support why the Sox didn't give him the money. Parque never really got on track and fulfilled expectations, so the money was not only thrown away in a sense, but now when they renegotiate/resign Parque, they're starting from an inflated figure. If Buehrle is confident in his abilities, why can't he wait a yea and then put it on the table? I guess it just bugs me to see really young players pulling contract crap this early.

This has not been a banner offseason for Mark....I think someone's agent needs to get their boy a PR course....or so Crash...."I just want to help the ballclub, take it one game at a time." You know a friend of mine once said its a simple game...you throw the ball...........etc