PDA

View Full Version : AP: Baseball Owners and Players Union Reach Tenative Five-Year Deal

spiffie
10-22-2006, 07:20 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-labor&prov=ap&type=lgns

The important quote from the article is this one:
Baseball players and owners have reached a tentative agreement on a five-year labor contract, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Of note:
Most of the key provisions of the current contract will be continued with minor modifications, such as revenue sharing and the luxury tax. With the luxury tax set to expire on Dec. 19, there was pressure on management to make a deal to ensure that the 2007 season would be played with the tax in place.

ondafarm
10-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Here's the ESPN link

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2635232

jabrch
10-22-2006, 07:32 PM
I hear they were planning to eliminate draft pick compensation for FAs and that they were going to put a salary slotting process in place for draftees

FedEx227
10-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I hear they were planning to eliminate draft pick compensation for FAs and that they were going to put a salary slotting process in place for draftees

Thank god I'm sick of the Jered Weavers and Stephen Drews of the world to be holding out for 9 months because they aren't getting the right contract. Earn it first.

CanBuehrleWait
10-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Thank god I'm sick of the Jered Weavers and Stephen Drews of the world to be holding out for 9 months because they aren't getting the right contract. Earn it first.

Amen to that

jabrch
10-22-2006, 09:34 PM

Or the Cubs drafting Jeff Smardjia in the 4th round and paying him first round money to get him to sign...

Big Sandwich
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Atleast this guarentee's that there will be no labor stoppage in the foreseeable future with this new contract

TornLabrum
10-22-2006, 09:58 PM
It's apparent that both sides learned from the last fiasco and neither side is willing to kill the goose that is laying the golden eggs.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Hooray, this is great news. They have indeed learned their lesson. There is so much money from the record attendance, a new TV contract, MLB.com and XM radio and they learned to share. I am starting to believe that this is the golden age of our national past time.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

DoItForDanPasqua
10-23-2006, 12:20 AM
The experiment in revenue sharing has not lasted long enough to make a conclusive judgment, but this year's World Series, at least, may be a mark of its success.
Over the longer term, there has been a great deal of parody in baseball. The likes of which have not been seen since pre-world war one. A continuation of the old deal may be a good idea.

TheOldRoman
10-23-2006, 12:40 AM
This is great news. I remember some on this site talking about the labor deal expiring, and the owners preparing for another standoff. I am glad it won't come to that this time.

Next step for baseball - fix the TV deal. Make EVERY game available through the Extra Innings package, even if it is within blackout territory. The blackout territories are ridiculous to begin with, and much of a team's territory doesn't get TV of those games, anyway. It is a big deal on the TV end because the stations think less people will watch their broadcast if they can watch the Extra Innings package. That is not the case. When you watch games on that package, you get all the commercials from the station carrying the game. If I watched the Sox feed from California, it would be exactly the same as watching it on CSN here.

The Solution: They should include both the home and road feeds for every game. Then they could black out the feed from the other team in all territories. For instance, if the Sox are playing the Twins, black out the FSN North feed so people in Sox territory can only watch the WCIU feed. That way, WCIU can't bitch about MLB taking viewers away, and people downstate who are in the Sox blackout territory will be able to watch "in market" games that aren't broadcast in their town.
The Fox thing (owning all games before 3 on Sat) doesn't bother me as much as the blackout thing. Seeing as Selig is a moron, and he just decided to take playoff baseball out of the homes of millions of Americans, I have no doubt they will once again do the wrong thing and uphold blackouts.

Moses_Scurry
10-25-2006, 08:55 AM
This is great news. I remember some on this site talking about the labor deal expiring, and the owners preparing for another standoff. I am glad it won't come to that this time.

Next step for baseball - fix the TV deal. Make EVERY game available through the Extra Innings package, even if it is within blackout territory. The blackout territories are ridiculous to begin with, and much of a team's territory doesn't get TV of those games, anyway. It is a big deal on the TV end because the stations think less people will watch their broadcast if they can watch the Extra Innings package. That is not the case. When you watch games on that package, you get all the commercials from the station carrying the game. If I watched the Sox feed from California, it would be exactly the same as watching it on CSN here.

The Solution: They should include both the home and road feeds for every game. Then they could black out the feed from the other team in all territories. For instance, if the Sox are playing the Twins, black out the FSN North feed so people in Sox territory can only watch the WCIU feed. That way, WCIU can't bitch about MLB taking viewers away, and people downstate who are in the Sox blackout territory will be able to watch "in market" games that aren't broadcast in their town.
The Fox thing (owning all games before 3 on Sat) doesn't bother me as much as the blackout thing. Seeing as Selig is a moron, and he just decided to take playoff baseball out of the homes of millions of Americans, I have no doubt they will once again do the wrong thing and uphold blackouts.

I second this!!

Here in Indy, the Extra Innings package will not show the Sox, cubs, or Reds even though NONE of these teams are regularly on TV. The only time they are on is when they are on WGN or ESPN and sometimes even the ESPN games are blacked out!

ondafarm
10-25-2006, 09:52 AM
. . .Over the longer term, there has been a great deal of parody in baseball. . .

Holy Mackeral is there a lot of parody in baseball these days!!!

downstairs
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Amen, bro.

Look, end result is this. Its about money.

But that doesn't mean things should ever be blacked out. Why not just figure what its "worth" to FOX or whoever to allow all games to be broadcast against their game of the week. I mean, ratings are a pretty damn perfected science. Someone could agree to "Playing a White Sox vs. Minnesota game on Sunday morning is taking X viewers away from the Yankees/Boston game being played on FOX in Chicago".

Give them that money.

Don't screw the fans.

downstairs
10-25-2006, 11:33 AM
The experiment in revenue sharing has not lasted long enough to make a conclusive judgment, but this year's World Series, at least, may be a mark of its success.
Over the longer term, there has been a great deal of parody in baseball. The likes of which have not been seen since pre-world war one. A continuation of the old deal may be a good idea.

Yes and no.

The Yankees and Braves have still pretty much won every single year. Boston is always in it until the last few game, or make the playoffs a lot.

KC, Tampa, etc. will not be seen in October for a long time.

Its not there yet, but its getting there.

whitesoxfan1986
10-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Yes and no.

The Yankees and Braves have still pretty much won every single year. Boston is always in it until the last few game, or make the playoffs a lot.

KC, Tampa, etc. will not be seen in October for a long time.

Its not there yet, but its getting there.

The only way it will get there is if a hard salary cap is instituted into baseball, however it probably will never happen. This is the only way to keep Steinbrenner from buying division championships. Even if it means no baseball for a year, I am for getting this done. There needs to be a hard salary cap at $105 million and a requirement that all teams spend at least $65 million, as of current situations. A change can also be that like in the NFL there are cap casualties, allowing teams the removal from bad contracts, but only with a buyout. In this case there would be an arbitrator that would negotiate a fair buyout between the team and the player. Salary slotting for rookies also needs to take place, but with the other changes FA draft pick compensation will return. I would change the draft too, making it more like the NBA and NHL as the 10 worst teams would have a lottery for the draft order. This would make for ultimate parity in baseball, so teams such as Kansas City and Tampa would now be included in possibilities for October. I love the sport of hockey and I didn't mind the year lockout because it made the game better. Yes, I missed the game, but the sport overall is better because of it. I would miss baseball too, but something has to be done about the AL East division because Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay don't have a chance. What makes this worse is that the owners in Toronto spend money to try to compete, but it seems no matter what they do, New York and Boston always finish 1-2. Maybe Baby Fisk can say otherwise though. This is what I would do if I was commisioner for a day.

Oblong
10-25-2006, 03:16 PM
This may sound crazy to some but the solution in NY is to get another team in there to divvy up the resources they have. I think that would go a long way towards making the Yankees and Mets more equitable to the rest of the league. Instead of having two teams in FL put one of them in Brooklyn. Or put it in LA or SF and move the Dodgers or Giants back. It'll never happen though.

whitesoxfan1986
10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
This may sound crazy to some but the solution in NY is to get another team in there to divvy up the resources they have. I think that would go a long way towards making the Yankees and Mets more equitable to the rest of the league. Instead of having two teams in FL put one of them in Brooklyn. Or put it in LA or SF and move the Dodgers or Giants back. It'll never happen though.
That's a good idea, but you're right about the fact that it probably will never happen. What I said will never happen either, even though it is what should be done. About the free agent compensation part, I didn't know that it still existed to an extent until I read the article in the minor observations forum. Thanks to whoever put it there