PDA

View Full Version : 1959 White Sox Team Ball - Signed!

Wsoxmike59
10-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Mods, please let me know if this is OK to post. The only reason I'm posting it here is in case someone on this board would be interested in seeing it for the "rarity" of the item.

This is the Holy Grail as far as White Sox sports collectibles go, and it's in a special auction up for sale on Ebay right now.

I've always longed to have this ball and if I didn't have a daughter in college right now I'd seriously consider bidding on it.

It looks like the entire team is represented on the ball. http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/19506-1959-Chicago-White-Sox-Signed-Baseball-PSA-DNA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ28270QQihZ007QQitem Z170038393317QQrdZ1

The autographs have held up pretty well, and I think I can make out 28 of the 30 signatures and they look very authentic.

Panel # 1 shows:

Rudolpho Arias
Nelson Fox
Johnny Callison
Don Rudolph
Tony Cuccinello
Lou Skizas (aka The Nervous Greek)

Panel 2 shows:

Earl Torgeson
Sammy Esposito
Don Gutteridge
Claude Raymond
Turk Lown
Bubba Phillips
Early Wynn

Panel 3 shows Mgr Al Lopez on the sweet spot

Panel 4 shows:

Ray Berres (pitching Coach)
Dick Donovan
Luis Aparicio
Sherm Lollar
?? I think it's Gary Peters?? can't tell
Earl Battey
Don Meuller
?? Jim Landis maybe?? I can't tell

Panel 5 shows:

Billy Goodman
Jim Rivera
Billy Pierce
Gerry Staley
Ray Moore
Ron Jackson
Bob Shaw
Norm Cash

Enjoy looking at the ball, and I hope somebody here ends up bidding on it. Also if you like looking at that type of memorabilia (autographed balls) there's some really rare stuff up for auction you can check out by clicking the link right next to the lot number 19506 View All Lots

Timmy D's
10-22-2006, 05:56 PM
The estimate of $1,000 seems kinda low for that piece. Wish I could afford it. Wifee would smack me upside if I spent that on a ball, and there would be a paper trail w/ buying it on line.:whiner:

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2006, 05:58 PM
What's the difference between a "live auction" and the normal Ebay procedure?

oeo
10-22-2006, 06:04 PM
What's the difference between a "live auction" and the normal Ebay procedure?

From the website:

Once again, eBay takes you to a new dimension in Internet auctions. Using eBay Live Auctions, you can now bid in real time on auctions taking place on the floor of some of the world's greatest auction houses!

eBay Live Auctions transport you to the auction floor where the action is. You can place absentee bids (http://pages.liveauctions.ebay.com/help/welcome/terminology.html#absentee-bid), bid live, or just watch the auction online. Participating in Live Auctions is safe because all items are covered by the traditional guarantee (http://pages.liveauctions.ebay.com/help/welcome/laguarantee.html) offered by auction houses on all their sales.
http://pages.ebay.com/liveauctions/help/welcome/overview.html

Garland_IS_God
10-22-2006, 07:28 PM
My dad has a ball signed by the entire 1959 white sox. Problem is when he went away to college, my grandma put it in a box out in their garage. When he went out to the garage to find the ball, the entire ball was water logged. I got it down in my basement along with the 59 pennant I found in my grandpa's closet.

Wsoxmike59
10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
The only '59 memorabilia I have is the team picture and A.L. Champs pennant I inherited from my father in law when he passed away. He also kept a scrap book of the '59 team which I have and had Jim Landis, Al Smith and Jim Rivera sign it about 18 years ago at a card show. I also have an Aparicio signed ball I got about 20 years ago at a card show.

My wife also bought me the 1959 World Series highlight film on VHS many years ago (which I still have)

But the '59 Team Ball is what I have longed to get my hands on my whole life.

Timmy D's
10-22-2006, 08:00 PM
But the '59 Team Ball is what I have longed to get my hands on my whole life.

If ya can find the means, then maybe you should get it then!! If ya ever got in a pinch and needed some cash, you would certainly get back what ya spent on it, almost vcertainly more. Seems like a safe investment for ya, if anything that would be a good way to sell the idea to ya wife. You get the ball ya always wanted, she thinks ya made a great, risk free investment.:wink:

cbotnyse
10-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Also if you like looking at that type of memorabilia (autographed balls) there's some really rare stuff up for auction you can check out by clicking the link right next to the lot number 19506 View All Lotscould you imagine if you had the means to bid on all of those. It wouldn't really take that much either, probably $50-80K (if you were rich of course). You could have an autographed ball of every big name that has ever played the game. I'd be like having your own person baseball museum.

RadioheadRocks
10-22-2006, 10:35 PM
My wife also bought me the 1959 World Series highlight film on VHS many years ago (which I still have)

I recently received a DVD issue of this from Doak Ewing's RareSportsfilms.com; it's awesome! :D:

jabrch
10-22-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a very hard time imagining that it goes for under $1000.

Vernam
10-22-2006, 11:00 PM
I recently received a DVD issue of this from Doak Ewing's RareSportsfilms.com; it's awesome! :D:I like the ending of the 2005 film better! :redneck

My grandfather had an autographed Babe Ruth ball that went to my mom's brother (now deceased). It reportedly got wrecked in a basement flood . . .

Vernam

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I have a very hard time imagining that it goes for under $1000.
Especially with the sig of Nellie Fox on it. That's nearly impossible to find.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-23-2006, 12:28 AM
There is a 2005 ball (which I have nothing do with) on ebay right now for $1,350. This may have even more value to me even though everyone is still living on '05 team, except perhaps Cliff Politte.

Dan the Man
10-23-2006, 12:34 AM
There is a 2005 ball (which I have nothing do with) on ebay right now for $1,350. This may have even more value to me even though everyone is still living on '05 team, except perhaps Cliff Politte.

:rolling: Well done!

rhill72
10-24-2006, 11:47 AM
My grandpa through Bill Veck was able to obtain a team signed 1959 ball. My mom now has the ball and I was told that one day I would get the ball. However when my mom was a kid she took the ball and painted it with clear fingernail polish :o: so I am sure that lowered the value of the ball. I have never been able to appraise the ball. Out of curiousity anyone know what a '59 ball would value at? I would never sell the ball because of the sentimental value, plus once I get my basement finished off into a complete White Sox theme I plan on having the ball as the center piece of my collection :bandance: . Of course if my mom is willing to part with the ball within the year.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Closed at: US $475.00

I can't believe it went for under $500.00. Too bad I missed out on this auction. :(:

Myrtle72
10-29-2006, 02:26 PM
Can't believe how low it went for!

$475.00, that's it? :mad:

(Not like I could afford it or anything...)

Oblong
10-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Funny story I heard:

A guy in NY gets a ball handed down to him from a relative. It's got Ruth, Gehrig, and Dimaggio on it. This is in the late 50s. The guy's friend happens to own a restaurant where Mickey Mantle always hangs out. He figures he could add Mickey's name to it and make it complete, 4 Yankee legends on the same ball. So he asks his friend if it'd be ok to approach Mickey and the friend says "Yeah, no problem. I know him real well, he'd be glad to".

One night Mickey's in there with Billy Martin and the guy gets a phone call saying "come on down, he's here".

He goes down with the ball and the owner makes the introductions. He gives Mickey the ball and says "I'd be real honored if you'd sign this ball so that I can have the 4 greatest Yankees signatures on here". Mickey is humbled and looks the ball over and gladly signs it. Billy Martin grabs the ball and says "Here, I'll sign it too"

DoItForDanPasqua
10-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Funny story I heard:

A guy in NY gets a ball handed down to him from a relative. It's got Ruth, Gehrig, and Dimaggio on it. This is in the late 50s. The guy's friend happens to own a restaurant where Mickey Mantle always hangs out. He figures he could add Mickey's name to it and make it complete, 4 Yankee legends on the same ball. So he asks his friend if it'd be ok to approach Mickey and the friend says "Yeah, no problem. I know him real well, he'd be glad to".

One night Mickey's in there with Billy Martin and the guy gets a phone call saying "come on down, he's here".

He goes down with the ball and the owner makes the introductions. He gives Mickey the ball and says "I'd be real honored if you'd sign this ball so that I can have the 4 greatest Yankees signatures on here". Mickey is humbled and looks the ball over and gladly signs it. Billy Martin grabs the ball and says "Here, I'll sign it too"

Let's say the ball wasn't signed by Martin. Who else would you want to sign that ball since then? I would say that Jeter probably belongs on that ball, but I wouldn't ask him if he was sitting next to Bubba Crosby.

ewokpelts
10-29-2006, 04:09 PM
My grandpa through Bill Veck was able to obtain a team signed 1959 ball. My mom now has the ball and I was told that one day I would get the ball. However when my mom was a kid she took the ball and painted it with clear fingernail polish :o: so I am sure that lowered the value of the ball. I have never been able to appraise the ball. Out of curiousity anyone know what a '59 ball would value at? I would never sell the ball because of the sentimental value, plus once I get my basement finished off into a complete White Sox theme I plan on having the ball as the center piece of my collection :bandance: . Of course if my mom is willing to part with the ball within the year.the nail polish helps and hurts the value....it preserves the autos, but it was an alteration.....i'd get it appraised if i were you

gobears1987
10-29-2006, 04:20 PM
I have a ball signed by the 1957 team. I wouldn't sell it for anything.

ewokpelts
10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
I have a ball signed by the 1957 team. I wouldn't sell it for anything.still get quotes on it.....it helps it's "cash" value(in event of fires, theft, ect)

drftnaway
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Panel # 1 shows:

Rudolpho Arias
Nelson Fox
Johnny Callison
Don Rudolph
Tony Cuccinello
Lou Skizas (aka The Nervous Greek)

Panel 2 shows:

Earl Torgeson
Sammy Esposito
Don Gutteridge
Claude Raymond
Turk Lown
Bubba Phillips
Early Wynn

Panel 3 shows Mgr Al Lopez on the sweet spot

Panel 4 shows:

Ray Berres (pitching Coach)
Dick Donovan
Luis Aparicio
Sherm Lollar
?? I think it's Gary Peters?? can't tell
Earl Battey
Don Meuller
?? Jim Landis maybe?? I can't tell

Panel 5 shows:

Billy Goodman
Jim Rivera
Billy Pierce
Gerry Staley
Ray Moore
Ron Jackson
Bob Shaw
Norm Cash

I think your Jim Landis is actually Al Smith.

Tragg
10-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Closed at: US $475.00

I can't believe it went for under $500.00. Too bad I missed out on this auction. :(:
That's incredibly cheap.
What do you think a ball signed by, say, the 64 Yankees would go for (I think that was the team that lost the WS).

PennStater98r
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Let's say the ball wasn't signed by Martin. Who else would you want to sign that ball since then? I would say that Jeter probably belongs on that ball, but I wouldn't ask him if he was sitting next to Bubba Crosby.

No sir - not Jeter - I think Rivera would belong on that ball before Jeter.

Jeter just does not feel right with that group.