PDA

View Full Version : Boston Globe on the Flubs

Fenway
10-22-2006, 05:19 PM
interesting read

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/10/22/cubs_fortunes_went_south/?page=full

Now, Piniella, 63, enters a situation where his mere presence will renew interest and hope. He joins a Tribune Company management team that seems committed to expanding a $94 million payroll to $115 million-$120 million.

The White Sox pulled ahead of the Cubs in the local cable TV ratings this season and their attendance moved to within 165,000 of the Cubs, who have always outdrawn the South Siders.

So there's reason now, more than ever, to stop 98 years of disappointment and finally not only to have the audacity to hope, but the audacity to win.

October26
10-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the article, fenway.

I was so disgusted when Piniella, during his press conference, referred to the Sox as the north side team and then said that he wants to make the Cubs winners like the Sox did a few years ago. What? Hello? FYI Lou, the Sox were World Champions just one year ago in 2005.

Geez.

veeter
10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
I can't wait to see the cubs blow past the 100 year mark for futility. I have no reason to believe it won't happen. I don't care who manages the stupid team.

TDog
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the article, fenway.

I was so disgusted when Piniella, during his press conference, referred to the Sox as the north side team and then said that he wants to make the Cubs winners like the Sox did a few years ago. What? Hello? FYI Lou, the Sox were World Champions just one year ago in 2005.

Geez.

Wasn't he working for FOX last year during the postseason? Maybe he isn't as sharp as the Cubs fans believe him to be.

1951Campbell
10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
interesting read

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/10/22/cubs_fortunes_went_south/?page=full

Now, Piniella, 63, enters a situation where his mere presence will renew interest and hope. He joins a Tribune Company management team that seems committed to expanding a $94 million payroll to $115 million-$120 million.

The White Sox pulled ahead of the Cubs in the local cable TV ratings this season and their attendance moved to within 165,000 of the Cubs, who have always outdrawn the South Siders.

So there's reason now, more than ever, to stop 98 years of disappointment and finally not only to have the audacity to hope, but the audacity to win.

C'mon Herald, get a clue.

DumpJerry
10-22-2006, 09:50 PM
interesting read

Agreed. Let's count the comp tickets the Sox give away. Then you'll see who had more butts in the seats!

doctorlecter
10-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Agreed. Let's count the comp tickets the Sox give away. Then you'll see who had more butts in the seats!

I don't think that he was talking about the comp seats. I think he took offense to the Herald's use of the term "always." I guess that 1951-57, 60-67, 81-84, 91-92 don't count. Solid research team.

DumpJerry
10-22-2006, 10:19 PM
I don't think that he was talking about the comp seats. I think he took offense to the Herald's use of the term "always." I guess that 1951-57, 60-67, 81-84, 91-92 don't count. Solid research team.
No. The National League counts all butts in seats regardless of how the ticket was obtained for official attendance counts. The American League counts tickets sold and not comped tickets (which can be several thousand at some games) for official attendance counts. This is why it appears each year that the Cubs come out ahead of the Sox. This is also how during the regualar season there can be an announced attendance of 37,000 at a Sox game which is sold out with no tickets available and yet during the World Series, we had announced crowds of 41,000+ without any seats being added.

23Ventura
10-22-2006, 11:06 PM
No. The National League counts all butts in seats regardless of how the ticket was obtained for official attendance counts. The American League counts tickets sold and not comped tickets (which can be several thousand at some games) for official attendance counts. This is why it appears each year that the Cubs come out ahead of the Sox. This is also how during the regualar season there can be an announced attendance of 37,000 at a Sox game which is sold out with no tickets available and yet during the World Series, we had announced crowds of 41,000+ without any seats being added.
Really? I didn't know that. I remember reading an article somewhere a while back that was saying how the National League teams tend to outdraw the AL teams in the same market. It compared the attendance of the Dodgers and Angels, the Sox and the Cubs, the Reds and Indians, and a few more. In every case except for New York, the NL team outdrew the AL team. It didn't mention anything about comped tickets, though. I think this explains a lot.

Nellie_Fox
10-23-2006, 02:12 AM
I thought there was no longer any difference, but in the past, the NL reported turnstile count, i.e., butts in the seats, regardless of whether they were paid or free. The AL reported tickets sold, regardless of whether they actually showed up for the game. NL teams would announce "today's attendance is..." while AL teams would announce "today's paid attendance is..."

SABRSox
10-23-2006, 02:18 AM
I thought there was no longer any difference, but in the past, the NL reported turnstile count, i.e., butts in the seats, regardless of whether they were paid or free. The AL reported tickets sold, regardless of whether they actually showed up for the game. NL teams would announce "today's attendance is..." while AL teams would announce "today's paid attendance is..."

That sounds right, because some of the September Sox v. Angels games had 35,000 and the place was only half filled. There's no way that was actual attendance.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-23-2006, 02:47 AM
I can't wait to see the cubs blow past the 100 year mark for futility. I have no reason to believe it won't happen. I don't care who manages the stupid team.

October 14, 2008, mark it down.

TDog
10-23-2006, 07:25 PM

It used to work that way. Visiting teams also used to get a percentage of the gate, but I believe that has changed too. The fact that you often in inclement April and out-of-the-race September will see far fewer fans in the park than the official attendance indicates shows that tickets sold and not used are figured into attendance figures.

What Santo and Hughes should do during their attendance guessing game to make it more interesting (if they still do that) is to guess at the number of no-shows -- something the team can track but does not release, except perhaps at corporate board meetings.

Santo would tell Hughes he is guessing high. Probably a lot of people getting food and beer. Hughes would concede he may be right. The beer would keep people at the troughs and the food would otherwise keep them in the restrooms, so the seats might just look empty.

Fenway
10-24-2006, 01:38 PM

This was a GLOBE article, for once the Herald is blameless :tongue:

DaleJRFan
10-24-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that the article mentions the Cubs ALWAYS outdrawing the Sox to cement their point that the tide is turning. Regardless of when the Sox did outdraw the Cubs in the past, the fact remains that the Sox won the World Series, the Cubs suck ass with a swirly straw, and the Sox are now THE baseball attraction in town. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that was the point of the attendance remark.

1951Campbell
10-24-2006, 03:04 PM
This was a GLOBE article, for once the Herald is blameless :tongue:

Duh.

Why did I think it was the Herald?