PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 10-23

Lip Man 1
10-22-2006, 01:50 PM
October 23, 2005 - Game #2 of the World Series ends in an unexpected and dramatic fashion as outfielder Scott Posednik blasts a walk off home run. The shot off Houstonís Brad Lidge ends the game in a 7 - 6 White Sox win.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/10/24/lgJBnnMd.jpg (javascript:void(popWin('/mlb/photogallery/post_season/year_2005/month_10/day_24/cf1258071.html','photogallery',690,590)))

Lip

slobes
10-22-2006, 02:37 PM
Greatest game, of any sport, I will ever be at in my life.

cheeses_h_rice
10-22-2006, 03:42 PM

Ditto. From the insane highs after Paulie's grand slam to the disappointment when the Astros came back and tied the game off Jenks in the 9th to the frozen rope off Pods' bat (which I had a perfect view of the arc, sitting in the UD down the first base line), all on a dreary, cold, rainy night more suited to the Bears than the Sox. I left the Cell with the biggest grin on my face I will ever have.

zmz723
10-22-2006, 04:01 PM
http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper851/stills/435c740c776ca-24-1.jpg

cubhater
10-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Join the crowd. I thought Pod's shot would have been a double but it kept going and going and going....:cool:

October26
10-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Join the crowd. I thought Pod's shot would have been a double but it kept going and going and going....:cool:

Indeed. What I remember about game 2 was the rain. I kept watching the fans getting soaked on tv. Game 2 was a rollercoaster ride until Pods hit his dramatic home run. It was incredible. :)

The Wall
10-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Ditto. From the insane highs after Paulie's grand slam to the disappointment when the Astros came back and tied the game off Jenks in the 9th to the frozen rope off Pods' bat (which I had a perfect view of the arc, sitting in the UD down the first base line), all on a dreary, cold, rainy night more suited to the Bears than the Sox. I left the Cell with the biggest grin on my face I will ever have.

Earlier that afternoon I sat in the nosebleed seats of the Soldier Field to watch the Bears D n Ravens D go at it for 3 hours ending in a 10-6 Bears win. Best Sports Day for Chicago White Sox Fans in Chicago. Period.

TDog
10-22-2006, 06:56 PM
A friend sent me a DVD copy of the game, and I saw it for the first time last night. I listened to it on the radio the first time around. It was an incredible baseball game on top of being an incredible win in the World Series.

DumpJerry
10-22-2006, 09:38 PM
I, and many others, replaced 7-31-91 as our most memorable game with this one. I really can't imagine how any other games can replace this one.

cbotnyse
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
I was so hungover from game one I watched this game at home. Biggest mistake of my sport viewing life. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

aryzner
10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
The way that Pods screamed and pumped his fist as he rounded the bases will always stand out in my mind.

BA: The Hitman
10-23-2006, 06:50 PM
I was so hungover from game one I watched this game at home. Biggest mistake of my sport viewing life. :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

HAHA........I did the exact same thing and I was kicking myself in the ass after how great that game was........

Hitmen77
10-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Best. Game. EVER.

stl_sox_fan
10-24-2006, 08:36 AM
This one and the next few "This day in Sox history" will be great. It was right after Pod's homer time that I realized how much I don't like Joe Buck's broadcast style. His pop would've gone nuts with that call. "Go crazy, folks" and "I don't believe what I just saw" will never be uttered by younger Buck. He's too busy trying to work in the Aflac trivia question plug or "The slurve as brought to you by Scooter".

davenicholson
10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
Cheeses, you said it better than I ever could. Mrs. davenicholson and I were in the nosebleeds behind home plate (but at least we were dry :cool:), and I was on my feet as soon as Podsednick's bat made contact with the ball. I was sure of a double, but was screaming for a triple. But it just kept rising, just as the voices of the fans. I have never hugged so many strangers in front of my wife (and gotten away with it).:redneck I recorded Fox's HD broadcast of the game, and still watch it from time to time. Rowand's "Holy ****!" as he greets Podsednick is priceless, but I have to crank up the sound to even get close to what it was like in Section 534. I had to get onto a plane for DC early the next morning; I was hoarse and tired, but still walking on air. I was also grateful that the game wasn't called. As it has been already said, best sports moment of my life. Nothing has come close.

jenn2080
10-24-2006, 09:16 AM
:whiner: :whiner: :bandance: :bandance:

We decided to stay in and watch it since we tied one on well the night before. My friends and I were jumping up and down yelling and screaming and hugging each other. They live in the south loop so we were able to see the fireworks going off too. It was awesome. One of the best games I have seen.

ChiSoxGirl
10-24-2006, 09:22 AM
This is one the games that I taped and saved from the playoffs. I put it in on a somewhat regular basis, fast forwarding to the bottom of the 7th and 9th innings. While Konerko's slam had me in tears the night it happened, no matter how far removed we become from Game 2 of the World Series, Pods' walk-off puts me in tears every time. That was one of the greatest endings to a Sox game I'll ever seen and it will always be special to me.

batmanZoSo
10-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I pretty much expected Konerko's grand slam to happen. If not that, then a gapper to go ahead. There was just no way they were going to lose. And Podsednik's homer was just surreal, I just kind of stood there and smiled in disbelief. The way they were playing, it was like a matter of when these things were going to happen but when they did it was still hard to believe.

JoeyCora28
10-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Cheeses, you said it better than I ever could. Mrs. davenicholson and I were in the nosebleeds behind home plate (but at least we were dry :cool:), and I was on my feet as soon as Podsednick's bat made contact with the ball. I was sure of a double, but was screaming for a triple. But it just kept rising, just as the voices of the fans. I have never hugged so many strangers in front of my wife (and gotten away with it).:redneck I recorded Fox's HD broadcast of the game, and still watch it from time to time. Rowand's "Holy ****!" as he greets Podsednick is priceless, but I have to crank up the sound to even get close to what it was like in Section 534. I had to get onto a plane for DC early the next morning; I was hoarse and tired, but still walking on air. I was also grateful that the game wasn't called. As it has been already said, best sports moment of my life. Nothing has come close.

All I know is that I'll always feel like the kid from Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I was one of the lucky few to snag a ticket off the internet earlier in the week. From the El ride down to 35th, to the high-fives and hugs after Paulie's and Pods' blasts, to chanting "Two more wins!" on the ramps down after the game, it felt like I was at a game with 41,000 of my best friends...

stl_sox_fan
10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
This is one the games that I taped and saved from the playoffs. I put it in on a somewhat regular basis, fast forwarding to the bottom of the 7th and 9th innings. While Konerko's slam had me in tears the night it happened, no matter how far removed we become from Game 2 of the World Series, Pods' walk-off puts me in tears every time. That was one of the greatest endings to a Sox game I'll ever seen and it will always be special to me.

I got this page (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/tp_archive.jsp?c_id=cws&ym=200510)bookmarked. It's one of my favs.

credefan24
10-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I still get chills seeing that.

We were 2 wins away from greatness. It was an unbelievable feeling. I remember waking up the next morning and thinking, "did that really happen?!"

SoxFan78
10-24-2006, 10:48 AM
I remember a lot of people on here last year were saying that they were going to go to game 1, and then sell their game 2 tickets to recoup some of the playoff tix cost. Heck, i would of done the same thing, but what a game 2 that was!!!!

GREATEST.GAME.EVER!!

JohnTucker0814
10-24-2006, 10:56 AM
I remember being sooo upset at Pods in the top of the 9th because of his weak throwing arm. The runner scoring from 2nd just hit 3rd base as Pods was trying to throw home... and he still scored. When he came up in that inning my wife looked at me and I said... This ****er better do something! I wasn't expecting a HR that's for sure!!!!