PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Shocker: Historically Bad Predictions

Norberto7
10-22-2006, 10:04 AM
I know there are a few of you scattered out there who have yet to convert with the legions to bow down before ESPN...I figure this will sway the last of you holdouts. You just cannot help but be astounded by their clairvoyancy. See the Friday, Oct. 20 entry at http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/ (http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/)

Basically, ESPN had 19 people pick the winners for each playoff round. Of the 19, not one had the Tigers or Cardinals in the World Series. Worse yet, only one writer picked either team to win their first round series. Meaning, they were a combined 1-37 in picking the first round for the eventual W.S. participants.

The article goes through some numbers, take them for what they are worth. A good point is made later on about how random guesses would look better than predictions based on favorites if there are a number of upsets, but it is still hard to believe the horrific nature of it all (even considering the source).

WizardsofOzzie
10-22-2006, 10:28 AM
wow, they really get paid for that huh? How bout if you're gonna be a "expert" you have to actually get something right to get paid.....please

PKalltheway
10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Well, for what it's worth, Sports Illustrated, at the beginning of the season, did pick the Cardinals to go to the World Series. They picked the Sox to beat them too.:(:

southside rocks
10-22-2006, 11:18 AM
We can't have ESPN's authority and acumen challenged. Therefore, I think it would be best if ESPN's experts made their predictions after the World Series for that year.

Teal? Nah.

oeo
10-22-2006, 12:10 PM
I know there are a few of you scattered out there who have yet to convert with the legions to bow down before ESPN...I figure this will sway the last of you holdouts. You just cannot help but be astounded by their clairvoyancy. See the Friday, Oct. 20 entry at http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/ (http://firejoemorgan.blogspot.com/)

Basically, ESPN had 19 people pick the winners for each playoff round. Of the 19, not one had the Tigers or Cardinals in the World Series. Worse yet, only one writer picked either team to win their first round series. Meaning, they were a combined 1-37 in picking the first round for the eventual W.S. participants.

The article goes through some numbers, take them for what they are worth. A good point is made later on about how random guesses would look better than predictions based on favorites if there are a number of upsets, but it is still hard to believe the horrific nature of it all (even considering the source).

Who did predict it? There was no way to, unless 1)Your a Tigers/Cards fan or 2)You were going out on a limb and guessing.

Those were two teams that came limping into the postseason. The Tigers, who lead the division for the majority of the year, lost it on the last day because they were swept by the Royals. The Cards almost lost a 7 game lead in like a week.

Predictions are guesses and you usually go with the hot team, that wasn't the case this year.

cbotnyse
10-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Well, for what it's worth, Sports Illustrated, at the beginning of the season, did pick the Cardinals to go to the World Series. They picked the Sox to beat them too.:(:nice call by SI, and double, :(: :(: .

23Ventura
10-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I know nobody's gonna believe me, but I picked the White Sox to beat the Astros in the World Series during Spring Training of 2005. I have witnesses too.

TDog
10-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Predictions are meaningless. People should be held accountable for inaccurately reporting what happened. I ignore them when they guess what will happen. It will be fun, though, to count up the experts who pick the Cubs to go to the World Series in 2007.

Rockman218
10-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, for what it's worth, Sports Illustrated, at the beginning of the season, did pick the Cardinals to go to the World Series. They picked the Sox to beat them too.:(:
Damn.

StillMissOzzie
10-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Meh. It;s not like anybody here picked the Tigers to win either the division or the WC, and we're all experts!

SMO
:gulp:

FedEx227
10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Meh. It;s not like anybody here picked the Tigers to win either the division or the WC, and we're all experts!

SMO
:gulp:

But these guys did this at the beginning of the playoffs which makes it all the more ridiculous that not ONE of them got anything remotely close.

DSpivack
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
But these guys did this at the beginning of the playoffs which makes it all the more ridiculous that not ONE of them got anything remotely close.

I'm with the crowd that says predictions are a complete crapshoot. But to me it justs shows that full attention ESPN paid before the playoffs towards the Mets/Yanks and how they were "locks" to make it.

FedEx227
10-22-2006, 09:52 PM
Exactly, you didn't have one "EXPERT" think a bit outside the box and maybe pick Cardinals or the Tigers. The amount of Twin love and unpredictable East coast love on that page is disgusting.

But hey, Gammons went really wild and picked the Yankees to beat the Mets with Mo Rivera as the MVP. Wow hes a free spirit.

Zisk77
10-23-2006, 11:22 PM
As I recall Gammon's was the only one having the beloved making last years world series.

stl_sox_fan
10-24-2006, 12:49 PM
As I recall Gammon's was the only one having the beloved making last years world series.

Good thing I didn't give up on the Sox last year when J. Brantley said all Chicago fans would be "crying in their beers" come October. If only he had said some of those tears would be of the "joy" kind.

Britt Burns
10-24-2006, 01:06 PM
In all fairness, the ESPN guys are hamstrung in their predictions beause all of them believe that MLB has only 2 teams, the yank$ and the Red Sox. Makes it difficult to call things correctly.