PDA

View Full Version : Keith Foulke????

Qdiddy
10-22-2006, 02:25 AM
I saw that Boston might buy him out and was wondering if you guys would want him back on the southside. He might come cheap and I think this would be a great pickup by KW especially with all the flamethrowers in the back of the pen. Talk about messing up a hitter. Having to face Foulke's change up and then Bobby's heat! YIKES! Plus, we all know that he's has great control so that's also a bonus.

He actually finished pretty strong too:

Pre All-Star Break ERA 5.63
Post All-Star Break ERA 2.04

Didn't give up a earned run for all of September.

Anyone like this move?????

GO SOX!!

voodoochile
10-22-2006, 02:41 AM
I'd give it a chance provided he doesn't expect to be the closer. I think his window as a closer has well... closed.

Doesn't mean he cannot be effective in the right situations and he can definitely throw a full inning, so I'd definitely take him as a set up type guy.

batmanZoSo
10-22-2006, 03:10 AM
I wonder if he'd do the walk of shame back to the site of his career depantsing...to not close again like he did in 2002.

Frater Perdurabo
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I'd give it a chance provided he doesn't expect to be the closer. I think his window as a closer has well... closed.

Doesn't mean he cannot be effective in the right situations and he can definitely throw a full inning, so I'd definitely take him as a set up type guy.

Agreed.

Imagine a bullpen with Jenks throwing 99 MPH as the closer, Foulke as the 8th inning guy featuring his changeup, Thornton and MacDougal together bringing 97 MPH heat from both sides of the rubber, Haeger as the long man and a LOOGY of choice. Also, that would be FOUR guys who could close a game if needed.
:o:

MadetoOrta
10-22-2006, 06:06 PM
For the right price? Heck yes! He also provides extra insurance in case of Bobby's elbow and/or MacDougall blowing out his arm. At this stage of his career, he might prolong his career in middle relief. For the right price? Yes.

buehrle4cy05
10-22-2006, 06:19 PM
As it was said earlier in the thread, he would give a much different look than the upper-90's gas of Jenks/MacDougal/Thornton. I'd take him for the right price, too.

TDog
10-22-2006, 06:27 PM

And provided he still doesn't want to be a starter. That leaves only unglamorous, though important, roles in the bullpen.

Rockman218
10-22-2006, 06:43 PM
Middle Relief. Perfect eighth inning guy. I agree whole heartedly. Then you got Thornton and Mcdougal who can come in and get outs in the sixth and seventh innings to keep the sox in the game. With this potential bullpen, the sox will always have a chance at winning a game.

TheOldRoman
10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
There are several things to consider. Foulke always said he never wanted to leave the White Sox. Even when he was in the World Series with Boston, he said he still felt like one of the White Sox.
However, he said when he signed with the Red Sox that he only wanted to play three more years and then retire. You have to question his will at this point, especially because Foulke admitted that he doesn't really like baseball much (I believe he said it is more of a job than a love).
If Foulke is fully healthy, willing to be a setup man, his heart is in it, and he will take less money, he would be a good fit. That is a lot of ifs.

Big Sandwich
10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
If healthy and we have a spot then sure, but he has exhibited knee problems lately, which has been a reason for his decline. But who knows, i would take a healthy foulke over a healthy hermanson

Qdiddy
10-22-2006, 11:20 PM
I actually would Foulke in the 6th or 7th, less pressure and also so that way the guys that he'll face in those inning must likely would be coming up in the ninth against BBBBAD Bobby Jenks.

If you use Mike D(not Beastie Boys..:) & Matt T(you know who I'm talking about) in the 6th and 7th, then the guys they would be facing would already be used to facing 97+ instead of seeing nothing but change ups from Foulke.

Just a thought....

shoelessshaun27!
10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
I want him!! THE INCREDIBLE FOULKE!!

thomas35forever
10-22-2006, 11:54 PM
He's still my favorite closer in Sox history. Bobby's great, but he's the guy I grew up with.

TheOldRoman
10-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I actually would Foulke in the 6th or 7th, less pressure and also so that way the guys that he'll face in those inning must likely would be coming up in the ninth against BBBBAD Bobby Jenks.

If you use Mike D(not Beastie Boys..:) & Matt T(you know who I'm talking about) in the 6th and 7th, then the guys they would be facing would already be used to facing 97+ instead of seeing nothing but change ups from Foulke.

Just a thought....
The Sox do not have any Mike D's on their roster.

ondafarm
10-24-2006, 02:36 AM
If Boston is letting him go then I think they feel he has nothing left in the tank. I'd invite him to ST but he'd have to prove something to me.

At least Foulke would be away from wherever Jerry Manuel would be managing so KF would know the idiot who screwed up his career wouldn't be able to do it again.

Big Sandwich
10-24-2006, 06:39 AM
If Boston is letting him go then I think they feel he has nothing left in the tank. I'd invite him to ST but he'd have to prove something to me.

At least Foulke would be away from wherever Jerry Manuel would be managing so KF would know the idiot who screwed up his career wouldn't be able to do it again.

As long as he doesnt pitch against the Yankees

October26
10-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes, I'd take him provided Foulke had something left in the tank.

palehozenychicty
10-24-2006, 04:23 PM
As someone said earlier, if he can prove his energy in ST, he'd be a massive lift to our staff. He's also playoff-tested.

palehozenychicty
10-24-2006, 04:24 PM
As long as he doesnt pitch against the Yankees

He actually saved Game 6 of that '04 LCS. Then again, he had two knees at the time.

daveeym
10-24-2006, 04:27 PM

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/3340.jpg
Washed up? Where have I heard that before.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/4875.jpg
No comprende.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5801.jpg

Washed up? Try new life, getting the Fenway dirt off is exhilarating.

jamokes
10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
I would think KW would want to see the price tag on Foulke first before he kicked the tires.

Big Sandwich
10-24-2006, 06:01 PM
He actually saved Game 6 of that '04 LCS. Then again, he had two knees at the time.

Im refering to the game where Manuel left him in for 2 innings, and giambi hit a terrifying homer, which ended foulke's closing career in chicago

palehozenychicty
10-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Im refering to the game where Manuel left him in for 2 innings, and giambi hit a terrifying homer, which ended foulke's closing career in chicago

Aah, of course. I remember that game very well. Yeah, he was awful that year. But when you have a changeup as your out pitch with a mediocre fastball, closing is only a temporary position.

slavko
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM
You sentimental old softies! You, I, and Keith can't go home again. Pass on him and wish him well.

batmanZoSo
10-25-2006, 11:57 AM
2002 was a dead arm year for Foulke, plus Manuel didn't help him out much. In 99, he pitched a ton of innings in long relief and all kinds of spots, the he was stellar in 2000 and even better in 2001, saving 42 games.

Chicken Dinner
10-25-2006, 12:49 PM
No thank you.

SABRSox
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
If the price is right, why not? Middle relievers are a crapshoot anyway.

Fenway
10-25-2006, 01:19 PM
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/3340.jpg
Washed up? Where have I heard that before.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/4875.jpg
No comprende.

http://espn-ak.starwave.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5801.jpg

Washed up? Try new life, getting the Fenway dirt off is exhilarating.

Foulke has a player option for 2007. Boston has to pay him anyways so they might as well see if he has anything left next spring.

Huisj
10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
2002 was a dead arm year for Foulke, plus Manuel didn't help him out much. In 99, he pitched a ton of innings in long relief and all kinds of spots, the he was stellar in 2000 and even better in 2001, saving 42 games.

Actually, Foulke started out rough in '02, blew some saves, lost his closer job, and then went on to finish the year with a 2.90 ERA in 78 innings. So it's not like he was horrible all year. He had bad first month and then was great as a setup/middle guy.

Big Sandwich
10-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Exactly, look at politte, one of the key reasons we won a world series

Britt Burns
10-26-2006, 12:33 PM
Sure, give him a shot. I don't see it happening though...wasn't there some bad blood spilled when Keith got traded?

soxfan13
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Sure, give him a shot. I don't see it happening though...wasn't there some bad blood spilled when Keith got traded?

I dont recall any bad blood there. I would give Foulke a shot if he were healthy and relatively cheap

PKalltheway
10-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Exactly. They'll do good for you for a year or two, or maybe even three, but somewhere down the line, you'll be asking "Whatever happened to (insert name here)." Kinda reminds me of guys like Mike Fetters, Mike Magnante (sp?), Kerry Lightenberg, Billy Taylor, Paul Assenmacher, Greg Swindell, Bobby Ayala, Greg McMichael, Chris Hammond, etc. Honestly, this list could go on and on...

If Foulke has something left, the Sox should give him a chance in ST.