PDA

View Full Version : Article on Simmons

Daver
03-03-2002, 12:24 PM
From the Southtown.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/031sd1.htm

czalgosz
03-03-2002, 01:34 PM
I really hope that Simmons makes the club. Not only do I think that he's an underrated ballplayer who can help the club, but I admire his gutty style of play. I think the Harris could be a big part of the Sox's future, but Simmons brings more to the table in the short run.

baggio202
03-03-2002, 01:52 PM
gotta pull big time for a guy like simmons...a lot of other guys would have given up by now...

Lisa
03-03-2002, 02:10 PM
It's cool to see that Simmons has no hard feelings towards the Sox - so many times we hear a player being traded turn around and rip the organization they left. I don't ever remember Simmons doing that, even after he was traded. In retrospect, it was a good thing he kept his mouth shut, because the Sox would have been less likely to pick him up off waivers. Which makes you wonder: How many bridges do ballplayers burn? I know it's gotta suck being traded, but especially for those non-premier players, you'd think they'd not want to eliminate their future options.

Anyway, I like Simmons' attitude, but I don't see him with the big club. Lofton, Lee ( :whiner: ), Maggs, Leifer, Rowand, Borchard (who is NOT ready), Harris...Simmons would have to be amazing to make it. And how many outfielders did KW think we'd NEED this year?!?!?!

kermittheefrog
03-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Lisa
It's cool to see that Simmons has no hard feelings towards the Sox - so many times we hear a player being traded turn around and rip the organization they left. I don't ever remember Simmons doing that, even after he was traded. In retrospect, it was a good thing he kept his mouth shut, because the Sox would have been less likely to pick him up off waivers. Which makes you wonder: How many bridges do ballplayers burn? I know it's gotta suck being traded, but especially for those non-premier players, you'd think they'd not want to eliminate their future options.

Anyway, I like Simmons' attitude, but I don't see him with the big club. Lofton, Lee ( :whiner: ), Maggs, Leifer, Rowand, Borchard (who is NOT ready), Harris...Simmons would have to be amazing to make it. And how many outfielders did KW think we'd NEED this year?!?!?!

I dunno about the bridge burning but it's interesting. A lot of times you see guys go back to places where they left and you just knew they'd never go back like Bret Boone and Jeff Nelson going back to Seattle last year. Really if you think about it, in baseball the only time a bridge is burned is if you don't have the kind of talent it takes to rebuild it.

RKMeibalane
03-03-2002, 04:32 PM
It's amazing how many players criticize their former teams, and then end up with those same teams after being away for a few years. I mean, think about how many times Rickey Henderson has played for Oakland during his career. David Wells (fat boy) is another example. When the Yankees traded him, he ripped Steinbrenner and criticized several officals in the Yankees organization. Now, he's back with the team, and he couldn't be happier (I hope he eventually is miserable. I can't stand him).

duke of dorwood
03-03-2002, 06:34 PM
We have enough good outfielders in the Wings without putting this Harris amongst them. I like Simmons too. Obviously.

MattSharp
03-03-2002, 08:28 PM
I have always really liked Simmons. I hope he makes the team. I think hes very similar to Rowand....

Daver
03-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I have always really liked Simmons. I hope he makes the team. I think hes very similar to Rowand....

Simmons will make the team,if anything to not lose the waiver fee they paid to acquire him.

RichH55
03-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by daver

Simmons will make the team,if anything to not lose the waiver fee they paid to acquire him.

Sadly that might be the reason he makes it....though I would put him ont he team because he deserves to be....but if the ends are the same than perhaps I shouldnt question the means?

fuzzy_patters
03-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Willie Harris is the biggest reason that I'm rooting for Simmons this year. I would hate for Harris to get 150 AB's with the big club and be a reserve outfielder when he could get 600 AB's in the minors and be a starting second basemen. Ray is a free agent after the season and the Sox need to maintain as much bargaining power as possible. Harris or a cheap Durham would be much better than an unready Hummell or an expensive Durham the following year.