PDA

View Full Version : Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel: "I'm Ready to Return to Managing."

RKMeibalane
10-21-2006, 02:07 PM
:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0610140128oct14,1,2193659.story?coll=cs-baseball-print)

I pitty the team that ends up with this clown as manager. Good grief!

CubsfansareDRUNK
10-21-2006, 02:09 PM

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0610140128oct14,1,2193659.story?coll=cs-baseball-print)

I pitty the team that ends up with this clown as manager. Good grief!

Oakland? :o::o::o:

RKMeibalane
10-21-2006, 02:10 PM

Oh, dear! Can you imagine what that would be like with Thomas there?

:hurt

*steam rising from head*

LuvSox
10-21-2006, 02:27 PM
I already called Oakland in another thread. :bandance:

1951Campbell
10-21-2006, 02:44 PM
I can't stop laughing.

TDog
10-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Would many White Sox fans here continue to cheer for Oakland if the A's were managed by a man who was booed as a White Sox manager in All-Star Game introductions at the Cell?

Frater Perdurabo
10-21-2006, 04:16 PM
He's ready to return to managing...but what the article doesn't say is that he wants to manage the Baskin Robbins-sponsored Gymboree team, where everyone gets to play and everyone is a winner!

batmanZoSo
10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
What a coincidence, Kansas City is looking to take a step back after making some progress last year. A match made in heaven.

nasox
10-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Damn, imagine if the CUBS had hired Tinkerbell?

ondafarm
10-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Jerry Manuel, start looking for a team to manage here: http://www.littleleague.org/

FedEx227
10-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Damn, imagine if the CUBS had hired Tinkerbell?

I sacrificed to the Sun-gods, believe me.

Ramirez playing center, Pierre batting 4th, Lee leading off on any given day... oooh that would be great.

Kub_Killer_15
10-21-2006, 06:22 PM
A manager! Is Jerry joking? He got lucky to even be a bench coach in New York.

Good Riddance

Frater Perdurabo
10-21-2006, 06:27 PM
http://www.littleleague.org/

Nice job using a joke twice in the same day. :tongue:

DumpJerry
10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Come on, it would work. He would have Frank spell Chavez at 3rd from time-to-time.

I should copyright my WSI name if he is hired somewhere in case a fan of the new victims, I mean team, wants to become "Dumpjerry" on that team's fan site.

nasox
10-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Come on, it would work. He would have Frank spell Chavez at 3rd from time-to-time.

I should copyright my WSI name if he is hired somewhere in case a fan of the new victims, I mean team, wants to become "Dumpjerry" on that team's fan site.

I always thought dumpjerry was created by your first name, Jerry, and your favorite thing to do, dump. :)

1951Campbell
10-21-2006, 07:31 PM
He's ready to return to managing...but what the article doesn't say is that he wants to manage the Baskin Robbins-sponsored Gymboree team, where everyone gets to play and everyone is a winner!

Frater wins the thread.

dickallen15
10-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Although Jerry's time was up with the White Sox and he had to go, I don't see where he really was that bad. He was the manager of the year in 2000. He did get schooled in the playoffs but when Konerko and Thomas go hitless and Lee and Ordonez combine for 3 hits, I suppose every blames Jerry. The only other time he had a legitimate chance to win when he was the White Sox manager was 2003, and that team was not as talented as the 2006 team that finished 3rd in its division managed by the manager of all managers. IMO he wouldn't be my first choice, but he's hardly a joke of a manager, and he is one of the classiest men you would ever meet. A GM could do a lot worse than him.

soxinem1
10-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Although Jerry's time was up with the White Sox and he had to go, I don't see where he really was that bad. He was the manager of the year in 2000. He did get schooled in the playoffs but when Konerko and Thomas go hitless and Lee and Ordonez combine for 3 hits, I suppose every blames Jerry. The only other time he had a legitimate chance to win when he was the White Sox manager was 2003, and that team was not as talented as the 2006 team that finished 3rd in its division managed by the manager of all managers. IMO he wouldn't be my first choice, but he's hardly a joke of a manager, and he is one of the classiest men you would ever meet. A GM could do a lot worse than him.

I agree with your points. While his time here was definitely up after 2003, he is still a good baseball man. He got the 2000 White Sox into the playoffs with the starters dead by September, whereas our five healthy arms in 2006 had the team done for before mid-August.

And he was one of the longest continuous managers in team history. I believe only Jimmie Dykes, Al Lopez, and Tony LaRussa had longer terms. That's pretty good company.

He may have learned from his mistakes too. Maybe his second go round will be better.

oeo
10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Would many White Sox fans here continue to cheer for Oakland if the A's were managed by a man who was booed as a White Sox manager in All-Star Game introductions at the Cell?

Okay...people cheered for the A's because they didn't want the Tigers to win. That doesn't mean they cheer for them all the time. When your team isn't in the postseason, you pick which team you want to cheer for. I hate the A's, but I still cheered for them. They lost, and I still hate them; if they won, I would still hate them. I can't stand Maggs, I-Roid, or Craig Monroe, I hope they lose, and I'd like to see them crying afterwards too.

Unregistered
10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
http://www.menumasters.com/2003/images/applebees.jpg
"Well, Jerry... to be honest, we usually start people out as waiters - but your resume speaks for itself. Congratulations, and welcome to the Applebee's team!"
"I won't let you down! Probably. OK, I might let you down."

batmanZoSo
10-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Kudos abound, Jeans.

Unregistered
10-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Kudos abound, Jeans.:cheers:

TDog
10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Okay...people cheered for the A's because they didn't want the Tigers to win. That doesn't mean they cheer for them all the time. When your team isn't in the postseason, you pick which team you want to cheer for. I hate the A's, but I still cheered for them. They lost, and I still hate them; if they won, I would still hate them. I can't stand Maggs, I-Roid, or Craig Monroe, I hope they lose, and I'd like to see them crying afterwards too.

Some people here were cheering for the A's during the regular season.

CLR01
10-22-2006, 01:46 AM

Can you imagine if we still had Jerry here? We would probably see a third baseman playing center regularly, our right fielder at short at least once and players starting because of phantom at bats. He would be an even bigger joke than he is now and the fans would be ruthless toward him.

fquaye149
10-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Can you imagine if we still had Jerry here? We would probably see a third baseman playing center regularly, our right fielder at short at least once and players starting because of phantom at bats. He would be an even bigger joke than he is now and the fans would be ruthless toward him.

....:rolleyes:

Ozzie's BA miscues notwithstanding, ****ing JM in 2005? Like, ugh.

CLR01
10-22-2006, 02:34 AM
....:rolleyes:

Ozzie's BA miscues notwithstanding, ****ing JM in 2005? Like, ugh.

I'm glad he is gone and I really don't care about him but don't you think the whole tinkering thing is a little played out? Especially when our current manager tinkers with the line-up just as much as Jerry ever did. Its kind of pathetic that it is a flaw for Jerry but will be defended to death for Ozzie.

Unregistered
10-22-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm glad he is gone and I really don't care about him but don't you think the whole tinkering thing is a little played out? Especially when our current manager tinkers with the line-up just as much as Jerry ever did. Its kind of pathetic that it is a flaw for Jerry but will be defended to death for Ozzie.
I guess winning a world series affords you certain allowances...

CLR01
10-22-2006, 02:38 AM
I guess winning a world series affords you certain allowances...

I guess but it's still weak. Besides Ozzies tinkering was being defended before the Sox won the WS.

fquaye149
10-22-2006, 02:45 AM

I totally agree, but the thing is there's very salient examples of tinkering you can put your fingers on....that leads us to believe that JM had winning "series" in mind over benefiting the team... a la Neal Cotts in NY

Even when Ozzie played his Sunday lineups, it had the feel of getting guys experience time over "ice cream Sunday everybody plays!"

DumpJerry
10-22-2006, 09:05 AM
I always thought dumpjerry was created by your first name, Jerry, and your favorite thing to do, dump. :)
:?: huh? My real name is not Jerry and you should stick with your day job.

SOXSINCE'70
10-22-2006, 09:19 AM
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ>Huh??What??Pinch run for Konerko
down by a run in the 9th?? He's our best hitter!!":rolleyes:

"Somebody shake me,wake me,when it's over".
- The 4 Tops,1966

dickallen15
10-22-2006, 09:24 AM
The big Thomas/Manuel spat occurred during Spring Training before the 2000 season. That was the one where Frank had a note from his doctor. Frank did fine in 2000. Spring Training 2001 is when Frank did his little walkout, missing 6 workouts but returning in time to meet MLBs deadline and not facing a fine. Frank obviously got injured in 2001 came back and was pretty mediocre in 2002, but rebounded and had a good year under Jerry Manuel in 2003. I really doubt Frank would have much of a problem playing under him considering he did in Chicago for 4 seasons after their big blowup. That's even longer than Ozzie Guillen has been a manager.

ondafarm
10-22-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice job using a joke twice in the same day. :tongue:

ix nay on the otten ray!!

veeter
10-22-2006, 06:35 PM
I can't stand Manuel, and I believe he IS a bad manager. But I always felt he made it a point to beat the cubs. I don't know his win/loss record against them, but I'll bet it's pretty good. For that, and ONLY that, I have a soft spot for the guy.

Patrick134
10-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Manuel jokes will go on for eternity here, but he was hardly horrible . I'm no huge fan, and I'm as glad as anyone he's gone. But with the right talent he could easily lead a team into the playoffs. It's not his fault all our hitters popped out in the 2000 playoffs. Heck I don't predict major success for him, but it's far from impossible.

ondafarm
10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Manuel jokes will go on for eternity here, but he was hardly horrible . I'm no huge fan, and I'm as glad as anyone he's gone. But with the right talent he could easily lead a team into the playoffs. It's not his fault all our hitters popped out in the 2000 playoffs. Heck I don't predict major success for him, but it's far from impossible.

IMHO, Jerry Manuel is one of the worst managers I have ever seen manage a major league team. I think he would have managed the 1927 Yankees to a second place finish.

His handling of pitchers absolutely stunk, he worked hard to ruin several pitchers careers. His offensive lineups were terrible. And his management of ST borders on criminal. I think the White Sox would have been in at least one more playoff appearance had Jerry Manuel been replaced by a decent manager.

thomas35forever
10-22-2006, 11:53 PM
What team will he ruin next?

ND_Sox_Fan
10-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Ready to return? I didn't know that he was ever ready to start managing.

I want Mags back
10-24-2006, 01:11 PM
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: