PDA

View Full Version : Does watching the 2005 World Series DVD still give you chills?

tony1972
10-20-2006, 09:02 PM
After watching the Cardinals win the pennant (I was rooting for the Mets to be honest with you)..I felt somewhat down and for the first time in about 4 months I watched some of my DVD collections from last years World Series..

It's strange...but Konerko's Grand Slam in Game Seven, Podsednik's walk off home run..the fans cheering..Rooney's call for the last out of the World Series...it still gives me chills.

Even a YEAR later..I sometimes still can't believe it. This year was disappointing..but I saw my team win the World Series..I saw it before I die.....

I am not drunk (yet)..but last year was so special. With 30 teams in baseball..you are talking about something that happens on average once in a generation.

I am not living in the past...But I can enjoy what happened and continue to enjoy last year for years to come (if not the rest of my life)..

Does anyone else ever feel this way when they watch their DVDs or just reflect on last year? Thoughts?

sox1970
10-20-2006, 09:17 PM
After watching the Cardinals win the pennant (I was rooting for the Mets to be honest with you)..I felt somewhat down and for the first time in about 4 months I watched some of my DVD collections from last years World Series..

It's strange...but Konerko's Grand Slam in Game Seven, Podsednik's walk off home run..the fans cheering..Rooney's call for the last out of the World Series...it still gives me chills.

Even a YEAR later..I sometimes still can't believe it. This year was disappointing..but I saw my team win the World Series..I saw it before I die.....

I am not drunk (yet)..but last year was so special. With 30 teams in baseball..you are talking about something that happens on average once in a generation.

I am not living in the past...But I can enjoy what happened and continue to enjoy last year for years to come (if not the rest of my life)..

Does anyone else ever feel this way when they watch their DVDs or just reflect on last year? Thoughts?

Grand Slam in Game 7?

Yes, it still gives me the chills. On top of the World Series, the AL clincher against the Angels was about as cool as winning the World Series. Obviously winning the Series is a greater accomplishment, but knowing the Sox were going to the World Series was very special. And the trophy presentation to Jerry Reinsdorf choked me up about the first 10 times I watched.

miker
10-20-2006, 09:26 PM

Chills? Absolutely not!

I cry like a freaking baby...and I'm man enought to admit it.

2005 was a very good year...time for a cold one and another viewing of that DVD! :gulp:

southwstchi4life
10-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Chills? Absolutely not!

I cry like a freaking baby...and I'm man enought to admit it.

2005 was a very good year...time for a cold one and another viewing of that DVD! :gulp:

I couldnt agree more

Trav
10-20-2006, 10:17 PM
I usually watch at least one game a week from the set. That's on a good week. Sadly, I've been watching more than my fair share the last two weeks. I can't get over El Duque's 6th inning of game 3 of the ALDS. So I guess it is fair to say I get chills.

ChicagoHoosier
10-20-2006, 10:58 PM
With no baseball tonight, and sad I haven't seen a Sox game in a few weeks, I watched Game 1 of the WS from my collection this evening. Chills isn't quite the word, but happy memories (I was at the game so never watched it on TV) remembering last year and re-living it.

God I hope next year we can get back into the playoffs!

Frater Perdurabo
10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
I just watched Game 3 of the ALDS. Good grief, that sixth inning took forever, but all's well that ends well.

I still get choked up and have to hold back tears when I see replays of the bottom of the ninth inning in Game 4 in Houston.

RadioheadRocks
10-20-2006, 11:08 PM
"I got chills, they're multiplyin'..." :bandance:

ChiSoxGirl
10-20-2006, 11:33 PM
I get chills, which are usually followed by a constant stream of tears! :whiner: :redface:

I got the 2005 World Champions DVD Box Set for my birthday yesterday :bandance: and couldn't wait to get home from work this afternoon and start watching some of it. I headed straight for the Bonus DVD because I wanted to see the interviews and parade footage. The parade footage is awesome because it starts with the team's plane landing at Midway on 10.27 and I started crying almost immediately upon seeing those flags flying outside of the cockpit's windows. I pretty much let the tears fall quietly, reminiscing back to last year at this time (the eve of my very first World Series game). But it never fails, no matter what Sox DVD I choose to watch, I cry at some point!

EDIT: Watching the parade section of the Bonus DVD was actually very hard because I know we should be experiencing the exact same thing now, rather than reminiscing about 2005.

getonbckthr
10-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Honestly it pisses me off because of what happened this season.

MrRoboto83
10-20-2006, 11:35 PM
It makes me mad watching it right now, knowing the Sox should be where the Tigers are right now. It hasn't cheered me up at all!!

LuvSox
10-20-2006, 11:44 PM
All of the DVD's bring up damn good memories, ones I'll never forget.

:moonwalk:

Kub_Killer_15
10-20-2006, 11:52 PM
My SoxPride DVD got scratched up so I haven't watched it lately so I'm not depressed yet:cool:

Huisj
10-21-2006, 12:11 AM
The videos brought me to tears about a month ago when I watched for the first time since last winter when I got them.

thomas35forever
10-21-2006, 01:36 AM
If I knew I had one hour to live, I would watch the World Series DVD one last time. That's how good it is.

MUsoxfan
10-21-2006, 01:39 AM
I tear up watching the World Series DVD and can watch it every day of my life. The Sox Pride DVD is garbage and it's sitting around collecting dust

PKalltheway
10-21-2006, 02:22 AM
That DVD set is awesome! All of the Games are awesome, but I really enjoy watching Game 3. It's nice and long, and it's capped off with a Sox victory!:cool:

MUsoxfan
10-21-2006, 02:28 AM
That DVD set is awesome! All of the Games are awesome, but I really enjoy watching Game 3. It's nice and long, and it's capped off with a Sox victory!:cool:

Game 2 would probably be my favorite at full length

RadioheadRocks
10-21-2006, 04:06 AM
Still watch the World Series DVD a couple times a week, usually get home from work around 4am so it's great to unwind to after the work day. :D: I still enjoy the Sox Pride DVD although I don't watch it nearly as often (great overview of the entire season and cool extras, but the World Series DVD is the one to watch for the post-season highlights). I'll also watch the individual games from the box set every now and then (I'll also go right to the highlight innings if I can't sit down and enjoy the entire game).

I also purchased the Houston Astros 2005 season DVD and it's a great overview of their season, plus it's interesting to see the World Series from their perspective.

MUsoxfan
10-21-2006, 04:12 AM
I also purchased the Houston Astros 2005 season DVD and it's a great overview of their season, plus it's interesting to see the World Series from their perspective.

One of my favorite parts of the World Series DVD is Geoff Blum talking about how he's gonna be "dropping bombs" in BP when his former teammates are asking if he'll play in the series

Juice16
10-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Watching the World Series DVD still gives me the chills and bring me to tears. This is not only for our World Championship, but how quickly this past season changed and how fast it was over.

SOXSINCE'70
10-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I just cry like a baby.:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

No chiils,just tears.I hope I can see this
again in my lifetime.2007 would be a good
starting point.:cool:

The only thing that could make the WS set
better would be hearing Rooney and Farmer's
call instead of Joe Sux and Tim MacBarfer.

35th&Shields
10-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Chills? Last time I watched it I started to cry.

Yeah, that's right, I cried. And I was so happy a year ago that I'm not ashamed to admit it.

bryPt
10-21-2006, 09:32 AM
tears, most definitely. Don't tell my wife, I laughed at our wedding and to this day, I cannot live it down. Cried in 96 when I watched the Pack win the SB in New Orleans, and cry when I watch the Sox WS DVD. Thought I would never see my 2 favorite teams win a championship in my lifetime, and now I have seen them both, in 10 years no less. The Pack, I can do without, but I need more out of the Sox.

dickallen15
10-21-2006, 12:52 PM
As someone who was lucky enough to be at Game 2 when Konerko hit the grand slam, at the moment it happened it was wet and pretty cold. When it was obvious the ball was going over the wall, the chill in my body was gone. It felt like an 85 degree day all over again. Of course, when Jenks coughed up the lead it was cold and wet again, until Pods deposited one in the right centerfield seats. I was also lucky enough to be at the game with my dad. Leaving USCF that night, he must of said it was the greatest game in White Sox history 15 times.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2006, 02:45 PM
I'll tell you that I don't have to watch the WS DVD to get chills...I still get them every once in a while when I'm in my bedroom looking at my 3 x 5 foot WS Champs banner. This is gonna last for quite a while.

aryzner
10-21-2006, 03:44 PM
For me it is not so much the winning the World Series call that gives me chills, but it's the call for when the Sox won the pennant. You know...

"Here's a swing and a ground ball to first! KONERKO HAS IT! HE STEPS ON THE BAG! THE WHITE SOX HAVE WON THE PENNANT! THEY'VE WON THE PENNANT!
A WHITE SOX WINNER, AND THEY'RE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!"

DoItForDanPasqua
10-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I cry every time I watch, when I'm drunk I cry so much I get dehydrated. Tigers and Cardinals fans probably don't realize how great it's going to be to get that DVD.

soxinem1
10-21-2006, 08:08 PM
My SoxPride DVD got scratched up so I haven't watched it lately so I'm not depressed yet:cool:

I've rubbed peanut butter on CD's and DVD's and they've worked. Put it on thin and buff it like you are waxing your car. Try it before you get another disc.

October26
10-21-2006, 08:49 PM
You know that I cry. I'm very sentimental as you might guess from my sig. I pull out the video set when I've had a bad day or week at work (which has been often lately). My favorite inning is also the "El Duque" inning, followed closely by Game 1 of the World Series, which I was fortunate to attend.

I am also in the process of adding to my collection of White Sox books (those that were published after the World Series win last year).

Here's a toast to many more White Sox World Series Championships in our lifetime! :gulp:

Kub_Killer_15
10-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I've rubbed peanut butter on CD's and DVD's and they've worked. Put it on thin and buff it like you are waxing your car. Try it before you get another disc.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip--worth a try.

Oldschoolsoxguy
10-22-2006, 02:05 AM
My personal favorite would be right after the final out of game 4 they show a slo-mo clip of Buehrle running out to join the celebration on the field and he's sort of skipping and running at the same time like he was a little kid again and the joy was just overwhelming.That and in Game 3 after the Sox 5 run 5th inning,Tim Raines ran out to second base to get AJ's helmet and was giggling like a little boy...ok those two and also Paulie's slam...and Pods walk-off...and the parade starting off on the South Side...jeez,i'm going to have to pop that baby in right now !!

Grzegorz
10-22-2006, 06:25 AM
No, the 2005 DVD doesn't give me the chills, it makes me hungry for more of the same.

Hopefully 2007 goes a long way in satiating my appetite.

cheezheadsoxfan
10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
I still get chills and tear up. Game 3 of the ALDS is special because of El Duque's great performance. It was then that I really got the feeling that we were going to go all the way.

Also my daughter, from the beginning of the year, kept saying "Mom, this could be the year" thinking she was pulling my chain. She had claimed to be a Flub fan simply to piss me off (she's 16).:rolleyes: When I told her the Sox had won the ALDS her face lit up like the Sox scoreboard and she was outed as the White Sox fan her DNA has destined her to be.:D:

batmanZoSo
10-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Anything with a pasty consistency I guess. I used to use toothpaste for Madden years ago and it would work. But it pretty much has to be a white chalky kind of paste, not so much the fancy gel kind.

slobes
10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
If I knew I had one hour to live, I would watch the World Series DVD one last time. That's how good it is.

Haha well put. I could watch that every single day and still get shivers down my spine every time a big play happens. I'll be able to pop that in 50 years from now and still get the same feeling.

Frontman
12-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I think it always will.

However, I do like listening to the ESPN 2005 montage that they had, with all of Farmer and especially Rooney's great calls. Hell, game 3, bases loaded, and the segment of that audio file (I almost called it a "track," think I'm old?) with El'Duque getting two pop ups, then the strike out to get out of the jam is just incredible to listen to. Rooney got more and more intense with each out.

That, and him loosing his mind when Uribe went into the stands for out two are just hair raising "I'll never forget the moment" calls.

Matter of fact, I'm working on a CD right now for a coworker as a Christmas gift. "Sounds of a Championship: Music and Memories from the Southside." Now I want to go watch the DVD. Later.

;)

Front

WizardsofOzzie
12-20-2006, 11:16 PM
In a word: YES!!!!

ewokpelts
12-21-2006, 03:03 AM
no

converted
12-22-2006, 10:26 PM
DEFINATELY! Just the music playing in the background and how it climaxes right when Scotty Pods hits his long ball. Chills writing about it!!!

itsnotrequired
12-22-2006, 11:22 PM
no

Hater!

:tongue:

AaronRowandFan33
12-23-2006, 02:32 AM
I think it always will.

However, I do like listening to the ESPN 2005 montage that they had

Front

Is this from the one of the DVD's? Or is it a separate file that you got from the ESPN website or something?

WizardsofOzzie
12-23-2006, 12:05 PM
no
Tough crowd :tongue:

Fake Chet Lemon
12-23-2006, 11:55 PM
I've been saving the game 2 WS DVD. I went to that game, so I had no idea what the TV broadcast was like. I finally played it about a week ago, was waiting for the right time. Chills don't even begin to describe it. Just awesome.

Frontman
12-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Is this from the one of the DVD's? Or is it a separate file that you got from the ESPN website or something?

Its an MP3 file, I don't know exactly where I got it from. I did a search engine looking for the WS radio calls, I got that. (It's 11 some odd minutes long, starting from game 1 of the season, through the major highlights with some music in the background, to the post season which kicks into "He's a Pirate" with all of Rooney's postseason calls.

Front

Juice16
12-24-2006, 03:17 PM
The DVDs make me shiver even more now that half that team is gone a little over a year later.