PDA

View Full Version : MVP's?

getonbckthr
10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
I know the playoffs shouldn't matter into the voting but they always do. So if you had to vote who would you select if you took the playoffs into consideration? I can not see Jeter as an MVP. Morneau and Mauer had solid seasons but they were in the playoffs because of Santana and the staff. No one on Detroit screams out MVP similar to the Sox last year. Ortiz is a DH and he didnt make the playoffs so therefor I knock him out of the running. So I would be between Thomas and Dye. Thomas is a DH but made it to the playoffs, Dye I feel had the best season in the American League combining offensive output and solid defense.
NL wise it was a 2 horse race Pujols and Howard. However I give the nod to Phat Albert because his team is in the World Series Howard's didn't make the postseason.

MarySwiss
10-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I know the playoffs shouldn't matter into the voting but they always do. So if you had to vote who would you select if you took the playoffs into consideration? I can not see Jeter as an MVP. Morneau and Mauer had solid seasons but they were in the playoffs because of Santana and the staff. No one on Detroit screams out MVP similar to the Sox last year. Ortiz is a DH and he didnt make the playoffs so therefor I knock him out of the running. So I would be between Thomas and Dye. Thomas is a DH but made it to the playoffs, Dye I feel had the best season in the American League combining offensive output and solid defense.
NL wise it was a 2 horse race Pujols and Howard. However I give the nod to Phat Albert because his team is in the World Series Howard's didn't make the postseason.
Jeter'll get it.

TDog
10-20-2006, 07:12 PM

I'm confused. The MVP votes are cast before the postseason begins. Thomas will finish high in the balloting, but he won't get many first place votes. Dye won't get any. I expect Jeter will win the MVP.

ilsox7
10-20-2006, 07:13 PM
The post season cannot be taken into consideration when voting for the MVP.

fquaye149
10-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Jeter probably will win the AL MVP.

I'm not sure who WILL win the NL, but Pujols SHOULD

Tiger23
10-20-2006, 08:22 PM
I thought it was pretty funny when people in Detroit (and a small minority even nationally) were mentioning Maggs, Guillen, and Granderson as possible MVP candidates. We love them over in Michigan, and Guillen is my favorite player, but these guys are not quite the MVP type right now.

I don't think Dye ever really had a chance with the start Thome had. Too bad too, its always nice when that hardware doesn't end up in New York.

Ziggy S
10-20-2006, 08:46 PM
I would pick Thomas for the AL (he carried the A's offensively) and Pujols for the NL.

FedEx227
10-21-2006, 12:20 AM
Nobody has mentioned him so I'll throw it out

Ryan Howard - NL (I don't care how his team did, he was a beast)

getonbckthr
10-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Nobody has mentioned him so I'll throw it out

Ryan Howard - NL (I don't care how his team did, he was a beast)
I agree he was a beast but considering Pujols lineup and rotation and where they are its hard to argue with him.