PDA

View Full Version : Gardenhire gets 2-year extension

soxinem1
10-20-2006, 05:10 PM
The A's fire Macha after his team beats the Twins in the ALDS, while Gardenhire gets extended for losing the ones that matter:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9741700

Trav
10-20-2006, 05:22 PM
He earned it. They need to keep him for as long as they can.

cheeses_h_rice
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
They've won the freakin' division 4 of the last 5 years. Damn right they need to re-sign him.

thomas35forever
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
They've won the freakin' division 4 of the last 5 years. Damn right they need to re-sign him.
No! They need to fire him and get Terry Bevington to run the team! Then they'd win the next five World Series!

Robb
10-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Big difference between the two. He deserves it.

jamokes
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
The Twins are a fine tuned team that plays like a team.

Had it been the Twins playing game 7 of the NLCS with first and second and no outs, they would have come through......give credit where credit is due.

jackbrohamer
10-20-2006, 06:53 PM
His goal every year appears to beat the White Sox for the division title. And that's all he's ever accomplished.

getonbckthr
10-20-2006, 07:08 PM
His goal every year appears to beat the White Sox for the division title. And that's all he's ever accomplished.
And we beat him once for the division, sure we have a World Series and he doesn't but our payroll is also like double theirs, therefor advantage Gardenhire.

goon
10-20-2006, 08:04 PM
And we beat him once for the division, sure we have a World Series and he doesn't but our payroll is also like double theirs, therefor advantage Gardenhire.

i'll take winning one world series over four division titles. i'm sure gardenhire would too.

batmanZoSo
10-20-2006, 08:33 PM

More like advantage Twins org. But he is an outstanding manager and he's gonna be around a long time, right up there with the Piniella's and Joe Torre's. And I hate his guts. :smile:

Ziggy S
10-20-2006, 08:44 PM
See genuis Billy Beane, this is how you run a baseball team that has a little success.

The_Floridian
10-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Gardenhire is a good guy and a great manager. He gets his teams to play like teams and works well with his GM to make winners out of a low payroll.

Too bad he's in our division.

southside rocks
10-21-2006, 10:55 AM
I don't think the Sox payroll is double that of the Twins ... I looked up the team payrolls on the ESPN website, and the Twins are at $68 million this year, BUT that's with only 18 players listed. So either the other guys are playing for free, or the payroll's more like $70-$73 million (at a guess).

And they won't have that payroll for much longer, since at some point they're going to have to start paying Mauer and Morneau and Punto real money.

Gardenhire's a terrific manager for that club, though, and a 2-year extension of his contract seems like a very smart move.

Craig Grebeck
10-21-2006, 11:11 AM
The Twins are a fine tuned team that plays like a team.

Had it been the Twins playing game 7 of the NLCS with first and second and no outs, they would have come through......give credit where credit is due.
That makes little to no sense whatsoever. All of it.

fquaye149
10-21-2006, 11:23 AM
The A's fire Macha after his team beats the Twins in the ALDS, while Gardenhire gets extended for losing the ones that matter:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9741700

By all accounts all the A's players hated Macha. He would always cut them down behind their back. Zito actually referenced Ozzie as an antithetical Macha---he tells how Konerko allegedly told him that Ozzie would take a bullet for his players. According to Zito, Macha would throw his players in front of a bullet.

jabrch
10-21-2006, 11:50 AM
By all accounts all the A's players hated Macha. He would always cut them down behind their back. Zito actually referenced Ozzie as an antithetical Macha---he tells how Konerko allegedly told him that Ozzie would take a bullet for his players. According to Zito, Macha would throw his players in front of a bullet.

Zito is misinformed then. We all know of Ozzie and his bus.

Beane went inexpensive and took a manager who he thought would do exactly as he was told. He misread Macha. Macha wants discipline and rules. Beane cant pursue the types of players he likes (guys exactly like Barry Zito) with a manager who puts rules in place.

Although Ron Washington would be right for the job, it wouldn't surprise me if Beane goes for someone with much less experience even than Washington.

Craig Grebeck
10-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Ozzie may criticize them at times, but he has their backs (by all accounts). It was very apparent through the quotes of the A's players they hated Macha.

fquaye149
10-21-2006, 05:25 PM

Beane went inexpensive and took a manager who he thought would do exactly as he was told. He misread Macha. Macha wants discipline and rules. Beane cant pursue the types of players he likes (guys exactly like Barry Zito) with a manager who puts rules in place.

Although Ron Washington would be right for the job, it wouldn't surprise me if Beane goes for someone with much less experience even than Washington.

I do not like Beane. But if you're going to rip him rip him for one of the many stupid things he says or does. Firing Macha was not one of them. There are a bevy of quotes from players who say that Macha was a weak leader and prone to selling his players out. Players like Zito and Kendall. Not players like Brian Anderson and Tracey and Juan ****ing Uribe.

Say what you want about Ozzie's questionable tactics, but he knows who his REAL players are and he goes balls to the wall for them (i.e. anyone who's NOT Brian Anderson or Sean Tracey or Juan ****ing Uribe)

Gregory Pratt
10-21-2006, 11:26 PM

I've always thought Ozzie to be the best at protecting his players from criticism by directing it at himself. Oh, sure, sometimes he'll tell you that a player's defense has been bad of late, and that Minor League Relievers can't come up here walking guys all over, but he takes care of his team. Zito is certainly not misinformed, unless you think Konerko misinformed him.

Gregory Pratt
10-21-2006, 11:27 PM
For my money, Gardenhire is the Manager of the Year.

Sorry Leyland. I know your story is cuter -- LOLOL 2003 SEASON! -- but Gardenhire really had to deal with some serious issues and what is easily a weaker team than Chicago or Detroit, on paper.

1951Campbell
10-21-2006, 11:43 PM
The Twins are in danger of becoming the new A's--win the division with a lower than average payroll, and then you can pencil them in for an inauspicious early exit in the ALDS. That's better than most teams can hope for, but then again, the aim is to win championships, and I'm not sure that's as laudable as, say, what the Marlins have done recently (1997-now). Maybe, sometimes, you just have to blow things up andn start from scratch to get some results.

Trav
10-21-2006, 11:46 PM
For my money, Gardenhire is the Manager of the Year.

Sorry Leyland. I know your story is cuter -- LOLOL 2003 SEASON! -- but Gardenhire really had to deal with some serious issues and what is easily a weaker team than Chicago or Detroit, on paper.

I agree with you on that but if Gardy doesn't get it I won't be shocked; after all, Shapiro got GM of the Year last year...

I do not like Beane. But if you're going to rip him rip him for one of the many stupid things he says or does. Firing Macha was not one of them. There are a bevy of quotes from players who say that Macha was a weak leader and prone to selling his players out. Players like Zito and Kendall. Not players like Brian Anderson and Tracey and Juan ****ing Uribe.

Say what you want about Ozzie's questionable tactics, but he knows who his REAL players are and he goes balls to the wall for them (i.e. anyone who's NOT Brian Anderson or Sean Tracey or Juan ****ing Uribe)

Did I miss something that Anderson said about Guillen?

When Guillen "throws someone under the bus" he claims that he tells the player exactly what is wrong and why is is calling him out before going public about it. Call me crazy but I believe him. Griping about a player after going to him first is hardly "throwing him under the bus" even though it is fun to say and talk about for the mediots.

fquaye149
10-21-2006, 11:46 PM
The Twins are in danger of becoming the new A's--win the division with a lower than average payroll, and then you can pencil them in for an inauspicious early exit in the ALDS. That's better than most teams can hope for, but then again, the aim is to win championships, and I'm not sure that's as laudable as, say, what the Marlins have done recently (1997-now). Maybe, sometimes, you just have to blow things up andn start from scratch to get some results.

Except becoming "the new A's" isn't such a bad thing. I wouldn't make fun of Beane and co. if it weren't for the hubris he and their fans constantly show.

The fact is Oakland traditionally has found good pitching through scouting. It is a credit to their scouts that they have the pitching they have had. Minnesota is following in their footsteps, recognizing that good, efficient pitching is the key to succeding on a low budget even if by the time you make th eplayoffs and are spending 100+ million less than your opponent, you don't always win.

But let me reiterate: BILLY BEANE IS A JAG BAG.

1951Campbell
10-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Except becoming "the new A's" isn't such a bad thing.

Except for the zero rings possessed by the Twins and A's since I was in high school, no, not such a bad thing. :redneck

ma-gaga
10-22-2006, 04:54 AM

and this is my biggest bitch about the guy. He's a "good" manager, but IMO he'll never be "GREAT". He simply hasn't shown any signs of progress beyond being good...

fquaye149
10-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Except for the zero rings possessed by the Twins and A's since I was in high school, no, not such a bad thing. :redneck

Well, since you graduated HS in, 1994? There's only

Braves, Yankees, Marlins, Diamondbacks, Angels, Red Sox, White Sox, Tigers/Cardinals.

That means there are 20 teams besides the Twins/A's who don't have rings, and most of them have a higher payroll than the Twins/A's.

Don't get me wrong, the playoffs are not the goal...but while we sit home and watch other teams battle through the playoffs, I can't help but thinking it couldn't be ALL that bad to be a Twins fan and watch my team play in postseason play year after year....