PDA

View Full Version : End the A-Rod Madness - "A-Rod won't play for Guillen" Sun-Times

MadetoOrta
10-20-2006, 07:20 AM
According to Greg Couch in today's Sun-Times, A-Rod wouldn't play for Guillen because of an incident last year. I recall something about the WBC but can't recall the specifics. End the A-Rod lovefest already.

itsnotrequired
10-20-2006, 07:25 AM
According to Greg Couch in today's Sun-Times, A-Rod wouldn't play for Guillen because of an incident last year. I recall something about the WBC but can't recall the specifics. End the A-Rod lovefest already.

Well, I guess that ends that debate.

:rolleyes:

Erik The Red
10-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, glad that's settled.

samram
10-20-2006, 08:01 AM
I checked the Sun-Times page and didn't even see a column by Couch.

itsnotrequired
10-20-2006, 08:02 AM

The mystery deepens...

julio-cruz
10-20-2006, 08:18 AM
Greg Couch? You mean Jay Mariotti-lite. The same mudslinging, uncredible reporter that quotes Ozzie when he is saying things off of the record. This guy should be writing for the National Inquirer.

10-20-2006, 09:14 AM

Its in there...in the Pinella/Guillen column

jenn2080
10-20-2006, 09:16 AM

**** ya a voice of reason.

samram
10-20-2006, 09:24 AM
He also made enemies of several players, including Alex Rodriguez -- who won't play for the Sox because of it -- Magglio Ordonez and Ryan Dempster.

Ok, I missed it- here (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/104272,CST-SPT-greg20.article) it is.

This is not in anyway authoritative as he cites no source, no quotes, nothing.

fquaye149
10-20-2006, 09:31 AM
He's probably talking about the A-Rod trying to decide which team to play for in the WBC and Ozzie ripping him for it.

Ozzie apologized wholeheartedly for it, and A-Rod wasn't bitter about it at the time (at least not outwardly).

Unless there's another incident (which I doubt) that Couch is referring to, I really find it hard to believe that A-Rod would refuse to play for Ozzie over THIS.

That said, I really doubt A-Rod's going anywhere, and if he does I really doubt he's coming here. I'd still love to have him.

The Immigrant
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Alex deserved to be ripped over his WBC waffling. That was a friggin' joke.

Flight #24
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
He's probably talking about the A-Rod trying to decide which team to play for in the WBC and Ozzie ripping him for it.

Ozzie apologized wholeheartedly for it, and A-Rod wasn't bitter about it at the time (at least not outwardly).

Unless there's another incident (which I doubt) that Couch is referring to, I really find it hard to believe that A-Rod would refuse to play for Ozzie over THIS.

That said, I really doubt A-Rod's going anywhere, and if he does I really doubt he's coming here. I'd still love to have him.

It all depends. The underlying assumption is that ARod actually wants out of NY (but won't say it) because of the fans, manager, & clubhouse situation. His options are likely to be limited unless he's happy going to another Texas-like situation. Teams that can both contend, have pitching to offer NY, and can absorb the contract are really fairly limited to the Sox & Angels.

I don't think Alex turns down Chicago if everything else works out. And I'm pretty sure that he'd know that if he WAS on the Sox, Ozzie would have his back like he does every other player on the team. There have been many comments from both Sox & non-Sox players that that's the case.

fquaye149
10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Alex deserved to be ripped over his WBC waffling. That was a friggin' joke.

Sure, but not by Ozzie.

Ol' No. 2
10-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Ok, I missed it- here (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/104272,CST-SPT-greg20.article) it is.

This is not in anyway authoritative as he cites no source, no quotes, nothing.Yet another example of the thoughtful, carefully researched journalism we've come to expect.

wdelaney72
10-20-2006, 11:10 AM
This means zero. If the Kenny and Cashman work out a deal, Rodriguez will come here and like it.

The Immigrant
10-20-2006, 11:24 AM
This means zero. If the Kenny and Cashman work out a deal, Rodriguez will come here and like it.

Doesn't he have a full no-trade clause?

itsnotrequired
10-20-2006, 11:30 AM

Yes but he can, of course, waive it. Williams and Cashman wouldn't even be talking if there were doubts ARod would waive it.

CLR01
10-20-2006, 11:32 AM

Details. :rolleyes:

Do you think A-Rod would risk pissing off the Kenny by blocking a deal he made? I didn't think so. Nobody wants that kind of wrath brought down on them.

Paulwny
10-20-2006, 11:53 AM

This is not in anyway authoritative as he cites no source, no quotes, nothing.

He may have read an article written by Davidoff/ Newsday a few days ago.
" ( Oz/ ARod ) despise each other with the fire of a thousand suns."
He also doesn't explain the reason(s).

samram
10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
He may have read an article written by Davidoff/ Newsday a few days ago.
" ( Oz/ IRod ) despise each other with the fire of a thousand suns."
He also doesn't explain the reason(s).

Well, with two (two) different members of the media saying it, it must be true.

fquaye149
10-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Details. :rolleyes:

Do you think A-Rod would risk pissing off the Kenny by blocking a deal he made? I didn't think so. Nobody wants that kind of wrath brought down on them.

roundhouse-kick kenny williams own-father super-powers roundhouse-kick

Chez
10-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Well, with two (two) different members of the media saying it, it must be true.

Except that IRod is not ARod. Details.

Iguana775
10-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Call me crazy but I think that Chi-Town has a better chance of gettig him a championship than NY. :cool: :D: :tongue: :bandance:

thomas35forever
10-20-2006, 05:02 PM
I kind of forgot about the A-Rod-WBC fiasco with Ozzie. What would come into play in deciding this? Money or relations?

LongLiveFisk
10-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Call me crazy but I think that Chi-Town has a better chance of gettig him a championship than NY. :cool: :D: :tongue: :bandance:

Well...ONE side of town, anyway. :wink:

Paulwny
10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Except that IRod is not ARod. Details.

Sorry, I typed IRod instead of ARod, the article mentions Ozzie and ARod.

AZChiSoxFan
10-25-2006, 05:05 PM
And I'm pretty sure that he'd know that if he WAS on the Sox, Ozzie would have his back like he does every other player on the team.

:anderson: "Yes, I totally agree!"