PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro or A-Rod?

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Let's not debate the pitching issue here. I completely accept as a given that the Sox need better pitching. This poll is not a place to argue that issue. With that out of the way...

Lip has hypothesized that Ichiro might be available, especially if he tells the Mariners that he doesn't plan to stay with them when his current contract expires after the 2007 season.

We all have seen the speculation and runours that A-Rod is available for the right price, and that KW may already have made an offer.

If given the choice, who would you rather have?

The future HOFer who would be your #3 hitter, club 45 HR (including #500 next year), 25 2Bs, steal 25 bases, hit .290 and play Gold Glove SS defense?

OR

The future HOFer would would lead off, hit 15 HRs, 20 2Bs and 10 3Bs, hit .320 and collect 225 hits and 45 steals while playing Gold Glove defense in RF (allowing Dye to move over and bring excellent RF-quality defense to left) and forming one heck of a 1-2 punch with Iguchi?

The other thing to consider is that the Sox already have a formidable 3-4-5 with Dye, Thome and PK. But they definitely need an upgrade at the top of the order.

So, who would you rather have?

Palehose13
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Both and I don't have a playstation nor a monopoly game. :cool:

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Both and I don't have a playstation nor a monopoly game. :cool:

Let's see. Uribe and Cotts for A-Rod. Hermanson, Politte and Mackowiak for Ichiro. Seems fair to me. :tongue:

buehrle4cy05
10-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Ichiro, no contest. We don't need power, we need a leadoff hitter. Ichiro satisfies the latter.

oeo
10-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Both make the team light years better, but definately Ichiro. He fills our biggest need offensively: lead-off hitter. I can live with Uribe if we get Ichiro.

Of course I'd like to have both, who wouldn't? But that's not being very realistic...Ichiro probably isn't either, though.

Did I miss something, are there Ichiro rumors now? :praying:

Flight #24
10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
No-brainer. ARod. Reason being that Ichiro really means Ichiro + Uribe whereas ARod means ARod + Roberts (or similar LF).

Plus, ARod's younger & will likely maintain his MVP-caliber play longer.

Now if it's more expensive in terms of who you have to trade to get him, then that's another factor in the decision. But ignoring that and just focusing on who you'd rather have it's ARod in a landslide. He's THAT good.

jenn2080
10-19-2006, 09:51 PM
:bandance: I am actually just pumped to see A Rod in another thread. :bandance:

Palehose13
10-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Let's see. Uribe and Cotts for A-Rod. Hermanson, Politte and Mackowiak for Ichiro. Seems fair to me. :tongue:

We still have Politte? :?: :D:

Seriously, I think either would be great and I wouldn't complain if we got one or the other.

getonbckthr
10-19-2006, 11:06 PM
How about a guy who is a combination of both and wouldn't cost us anything in a trade but a similar dollar amount. Alfonso Soriano.

mcp5185
10-19-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd rather have Ichiro, but I think it would take more talent to get him in a trade.

Palehose13
10-19-2006, 11:39 PM
How about a guy who is a combination of both and wouldn't cost us anything in a trade but a similar dollar amount. Alfonso Soriano.

Combination of both? Well, maybe power and speed but he is worse in defense than both. The problem with not trading anyone and signing a big money FA is that it doesn't get any money off the books.

Craig Grebeck
10-19-2006, 11:43 PM
AROD-much better numbers than Ichiro, plus Ichiro's OBP is nothing special. He's a fantastic all around player but will cost a lot and it is not worth it. Good LF aren't hard to find, but SS like AROD come once every half century.

Gregory Pratt
10-19-2006, 11:47 PM
Ichiro, easy.

Let's fleece them like we did with Freddy. :D

lumpyspun
10-19-2006, 11:55 PM
I would much rather watch Ichiro play on Comcast SportsNet on my MLB extra innings than watch Ichiro play in person roaming Safeco Field out here in Seattle!

Myrtle72
10-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Ichiro. I shouldn't have to explain myself. :smile:

goon
10-20-2006, 03:22 AM
no ****ing doubt.

ll
ll
ll
\/

IlliniSox4Life
10-20-2006, 04:05 AM
I would welcome ARod, Ichiro, or Soriano.

I voted ARod because he's younger and should play longer.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Ichiro would be a solid lead-off man, and he would solidify the defense. Dye could move to left, Anderson remains in center and Ichiro in right.

Ol' No. 2
10-20-2006, 12:06 PM
No-brainer. ARod. Reason being that Ichiro really means Ichiro + Uribe whereas ARod means ARod + Roberts (or similar LF).

Plus, ARod's younger & will likely maintain his MVP-caliber play longer.

Now if it's more expensive in terms of who you have to trade to get him, then that's another factor in the decision. But ignoring that and just focusing on who you'd rather have it's ARod in a landslide. He's THAT good.Not necessarily. I'd assume to get Ichiro the M's would want Anderson as part of the package. (I wonder how many more CF we can send them?:tongue:) That would open up a spot for Roberts. Ichiro is due $11M for 2007, so they could sign Roberts for the difference between Ichiro and Rodriguez. Those two would be a nice 1-2 at the top of the order, allowing them to move Iguchi down.

Ichiro is also in the last year of his contract, which you have to factor in. It also obviously depends on what you have to give up to get them. (Do you suppose they want Freddy back?:redneck)

I want Mags back
10-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Ichiro's the total package we need. Solid leadoff man, could play center

Flight #24
10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
Not necessarily. I'd assume to get Ichiro the M's would want Anderson as part of the package. (I wonder how many more CF we can send them?:tongue:) That would open up a spot for Roberts. Ichiro is due $11M for 2007, so they could sign Roberts for the difference between Ichiro and Rodriguez. Those two would be a nice 1-2 at the top of the order, allowing them to move Iguchi down.

Ichiro is also in the last year of his contract, which you have to factor in. It also obviously depends on what you have to give up to get them. (Do you suppose they want Freddy back?:redneck)

OK, so the real question then is ARod+Anderson+Roberts v. Ichiro+Uribe+Roberts. I take the former every day of the week and twice on DH days.

Ol' No. 2
10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
OK, so the real question then is ARod+Anderson+Roberts v. Ichiro+Uribe+Roberts. I take the former every day of the week and twice on DH days.It's not that simple. I have no idea what Seattle would want for Ichiro, but I'd assume it wouldn't be Garcia. Vazquez will not want to go to Seattle for the same reason he wanted out of Arizona. IIRC, Seattle was on his list of 6 teams and I'm not sure how that works after he's been traded once, but I wouldn't think they can turn around and trade him to one of those teams the following year. So who would the M's want? That has to be part of the equation. Also, trading for Ichiro means they keep Crede, and that has to be factored in.

They're completely different trades, and you can't really evaluate them in isolation. It's always going to depend on what else is part of the deal and what else follows. But ultimately, Ichiro costs $5M less than Rodriguez, which means more money available for other needs. OTOH, he's nowhere near the impact player Rodriguez is.

Flight #24
10-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Ichiro costs $5M less than Rodriguez, which means more money available for other needs. OTOH, he's nowhere near the impact player Rodriguez is.

Good point, also ARod is under control for 4(IIRC) more years whereas Ichiro's FA after this year, so I'd imagine the cost differential will decline in his new contract.

The Wimperoo
10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
A-Rod easily

Iguana775
10-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Trade for Ichiro and sign that one Japanese pitcher!

I hope this is the right color.... lol :cool:

jabrch
10-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Ichiro...then sign Lugo as a FA!

miker
10-20-2006, 09:29 PM
None of the above, although I would prefer Ichiro over A-Rod. Just how much would we have to give up and is he even interested? Last I heard he wants to go back to Japan.

NardiWasHere
10-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Last I heard he wants to go back to Japan.

You serious? When did he say this?

SOXSINCE'70
10-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Forget Paywad.:rolleyes: If Kenny Williams really wants to make
a splash this offseason,find a way to acquire Ichiro.
It won't be easy to acquire someone considered an icon
on his team,however.The same goes for Carl Crawford.
I fear KW would have to part with too much pitching
to make this happen.

SOXSINCE'70
10-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Solid leadoff man, could play center

Or LF.Or RF when Dye gets a day off.

Myrtle72
10-21-2006, 10:48 AM
Forget Paywad.:rolleyes:

Paywad. Haha. That's almost as funny as Jenn2080's Error Rod.

Edit: Well, at least we all agree on one thing. No one picked Uribe and Pods!

Craig Grebeck
10-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Forget Paywad.:rolleyes: If Kenny Williams really wants to make
a splash this offseason,find a way to acquire Ichiro.
It won't be easy to acquire someone considered an icon
on his team,however.The same goes for Carl Crawford.
I fear KW would have to part with too much pitching
to make this happen.
Yeah! Forget upgrading our biggest weakness x10394058058230495! Let's go get some SPEED.

goon
10-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Yeah! Forget upgrading our biggest weakness x10394058058230495! Let's go get some SPEED.

what does green indicate again?

Frater Perdurabo
10-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Only the Mariners' GM really knows if Ichiro will be available, but he's the one I would target. If Ichiro is not made available this offseason, though, I'm becoming more convinced KW should keep all six starters, stick with Uribe and Anderson, sign Pierre to lead off and play left, and retain Pods to be the fourth OF. (If Ozzie wants to bench Anderson against certain tough righties and/or againt Santana, put Pierre in CF and Pods in LF.) Pods replaces Ozuna as the primary PR. Mackowiak backs up 3B/RF and pinch-hits, while Cintron and Gload retain their roles. Stewart replaces Alomar. Send McCarthy to Charlotte to get stretched out (tell him it's because he was disappointing with the big club as a reliever) and find FA middle relief help.

If/when Seattle makes Ichiro available, the Sox still would have top prospects (Sweeney & Fields) and pitching to offer (the Mariners probably would want McCarthy) in return.

batmanZoSo
10-21-2006, 02:50 PM
Definitely Ichiro. It's a much bigger need.

October26
10-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I'll have a chocolate churro, please.:smile:

getonbckthr
10-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah forget using Teal cause green is so much better.

SOXSINCE'70
10-22-2006, 12:06 AM

I don't view shortstop as a weak position for the White Sox.
I am,however,concerned with having a leadoff hitter who can get
on base and make things happen with his speed.I doubt the Sox could
obtain Ichiro,but if they could do it without mortagaging their
farm system,i'd do it.If the Mariners would be dumb enough to
throw in a reliever like Rafael Soriano,all the better.:cool:

Craig Grebeck
10-22-2006, 08:18 AM
I don't view shortstop as a weak position for the White Sox.
I am,however,concerned with having a leadoff hitter who can get
on base and make things happen with his speed.I doubt the Sox could
obtain Ichiro,but if they could do it without mortagaging their
farm system,i'd do it.If the Mariners would be dumb enough to
throw in a reliever like Rafael Soriano,all the better.:cool:
Our shortstop just happened to have the worst OBP for an everyday player.

SOXSINCE'70
10-22-2006, 09:24 AM
Our shortstop just happened to have the worst OBP for an everyday player.

That's why he bats 9th.A-Rod wouldn't play for Ozzie
anyway,after that "hypocrite" quote he made this year.

Michael Young could be availiable in a trade from the Rangers
as yet another option (if Uribe is traded or let go).

My feeling is,this team won a WS with Uribe in 2005,
they need his defense more than his offense.

Hey,Ozzie was a free swinger,too.Hence,he also hit 9th.

Craig Grebeck
10-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Hey,Ozzie was a free swinger,too.Hence,he also hit 9th.
Yes, and we have enough #9 hitters. Dye, Thome, and Konerko will not replicate these years, and we need to bolster the offense in case the pitching continues to be terrible. AROD was the best defensive SS in the league, and if there is a defensive dropoff it will not be half as large as the offensive upgrade.

23Ventura
10-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I'd rather get Ichiro, I think we have plenty of power in the lineup with Thome, Konerko, Dye, and Crede. Sure, Arod is a lot better than Uribe offensively, and I wouldn't complain at all if the Sox did get him, but Ichiro would be a huge upgrade over Podsednik in the leadoff spot, and he's a gold glove outfielder with a great arm. The Sox need speed more than they need power.

Ol' No. 2
10-23-2006, 06:03 PM

Hey,Ozzie was a free swinger,too.Hence,he also hit 9th.I'm soooo tired of this "but he's hitting 9th" excuse. It's also been used to death to excuse Anderson's lack of hitting. If he was a better hitter, he could be moved up and someone better moved to the 9th spot, thereby improving TWO positions in the lineup. Hitting 9th is NOT an excuse for crappy hitting.

SBSoxFan
10-24-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd rather get Ichiro, I think we have plenty of power in the lineup with Thome, Konerko, Dye, and Crede. Sure, Arod is a lot better than Uribe offensively, and I wouldn't complain at all if the Sox did get him, but Ichiro would be a huge upgrade over Podsednik in the leadoff spot, and he's a gold glove outfielder with a great arm. The Sox need speed more than they need power.

Plus, Beuhrle wouldn't have to worry about getting Ichiro out anymore! :D:

Moses_Scurry
10-24-2006, 10:41 AM
I think that if Ichiro came to the Sox, the impact would be much like the impact when he signed with the Mariners. The Sox already have a pretty good team in place. Ichiro would make them unstoppable.

While one could say the same thing about A-Rod, I don't think so. A-Rod would ad another power bat to hit many solo homeruns.

I vote Ichiro!!! And I would give Seattle almost whatever they want for him.

PennStater98r
10-24-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm soooo tired of this "but he's hitting 9th" excuse. It's also been used to death to excuse Anderson's lack of hitting. If he was a better hitter, he could be moved up and someone better moved to the 9th spot, thereby improving TWO positions in the lineup. Hitting 9th is NOT an excuse for crappy hitting.

Why do I always agree with you #2?

PennStater98r
10-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Plus, Beuhrle wouldn't have to worry about getting Ichiro out anymore! :D:

Is this "Beuhrle" someone that played in Japan against Ichiro?

SBSoxFan
11-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Is this "Beuhrle" someone that played in Japan against Ichiro?

So, you are going to force me to look it up? Buehrle :D:

vegyrex
11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Ichiro all the way.