PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Stadium update

Fenway
10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
With the World Series coming to Detroit one mile away Tiger Stadium sits empty waiting for the wrecking ball next summer.

Some former Tigers think it is time for the ballpark to go.
"I don't understand the people who want to keep the ballpark because it is an eyesore," says Jack Morris, who won 198 games for the Tigers from 1977-90.

Hall of Fame outfielder Kaline agrees: "It was a great old ballpark for the fans to watch a game, but there was nothing else good about it."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2003311690_stadium19.html

DoItForDanPasqua
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
It's sad that they are tearing it down. I wish it could be kept to preserve a part of 20th century history. A lot happened at Michigan and Trumbull, but like so many other things we find it disposable and so comes the wrecking ball. MLB has millions to throw around, they could certainly spend a few bucks on preservation and keep Tiger Stadium around for future generations.

MUsoxfan
10-19-2006, 08:17 PM
It should have been torn down 5 years ago. I walked around the outiside of the place in March and I almost began to tear up seeing what it has become. It really needs to be put out of it's misery

Oblong
10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
The area around it, Corktown, really needs that space. It's one of the few pockets in the city itself that is growing. Lots of young couples moving there and restoring houses. Tiger Stadium is holding that progress back. It's valuable land, near two interstates and not very far from a third one.

I don't understand those who want to keep it around. Making it into some type of museum is noble but not very viable.

I want Mags back
10-19-2006, 09:12 PM
i cant understand why it was still up when they stopped playing there. U'd think someone would want the land

ode to veeck
10-20-2006, 05:50 AM
i cant understand why it was still up when they stopped playing there. U'd think someone would want the land

or that safety and liability would be an issue with zero maintenance happening with such an ancient structure ... I didn't even know it was still standing :?:

kraut83
10-20-2006, 08:34 AM
There was talk for a while about building a townhome/condo development on the site, while preserving the old field as a park. I thought that was a great idea, but as Oblong said, there is more money to be made using that space.

Robb
10-20-2006, 06:16 PM
What are they currently doing with it right now? I'm making a trip to Detroit next summer.

MUsoxfan
10-20-2006, 06:20 PM
What are they currently doing with it right now? I'm making a trip to Detroit next summer.

Nothing. It's sitting there crumbling on it's own

Robb
10-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Nothing. It's sitting there crumbling on it's own

Not even tours or anything? Is it stripped?

MUsoxfan
10-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Not even tours or anything? Is it stripped?

No tours or anything. It's really a depressing sight. Weeds are growing out of the walls, paint is falling off of it like an abandoned warehouse, there's garbage in the promenade like it hasn't been touched since the last game.

Huisj
10-20-2006, 06:47 PM
They had some silly corporate-sponsored pre-super bowl party there last year, but to do it, they basically set up a huge tent inside on the field and had people walk straight into the tent through the big entrance that went directly from outside to the field. Basically, they didn't want people spending too much time seeing the rest of the stadium because it's sad and crumbling and looks awful. They had just one little part supposedly where you could look out at the field from the edge of the tent and see hired people playing catch (brrr). Sounded kind of ridiculous.

Oblong
10-20-2006, 08:01 PM
There's a blog somewhere, I'll find it later on, where some guys snuck in and took a lot of photos.

Oblong
10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
I found the blog and bookmarked it but I won't put the link here because there's a running video on the side and they are being vulgar. I don't know the site's policy on stuff like that. They've got some recent photos from the inside. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll give the link.

CLR01
10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I found the blog and bookmarked it but I won't put the link here because there's a running video on the side and they are being vulgar. I don't know the site's policy on stuff like that. They've got some recent photos from the inside. If you want to see it, PM me and I'll give the link.

Go ahead and post it just leave a language advisory with the link.

Oblong
10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Ok, cool.

http://www.wideopendetroit.com/2006_06_18_wideopendetroit_archive.html

Also, check the block entry on 06-25-2006 for some more.

Warning: There's a vulgar ad/video on the site. I also cannot vouch for any of the other blog entry content. I don't know anything else about that blog other than those Tiger Stadium Pictures.

CLR01
10-20-2006, 10:06 PM
I think I need shots just looking at it. There is no good reason that place should still be standing.

nasox
10-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I want to sneak in Tiger Stadium. I wonder how they got in.

Fenway
10-21-2006, 05:53 PM
I think I need shots just looking at it. There is no good reason that place should still be standing.

I posted pics the last 2 times I was in Detroit. I am amazed nobody bothered to steal the signs outside

Place looks like it is ready to fall down :whiner:

soxwon
10-21-2006, 06:04 PM
cardinals in 6

nasox
10-21-2006, 07:09 PM
cardinals in 6

Wrong thread.

DoItForDanPasqua
10-21-2006, 07:25 PM
cardinals in 6

Wrong thread.

Wrong prediction, also.

soxwon
10-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Wrong prediction, also.

you really never know.its not impossible for sl to win it.

PalehosePlanet
10-26-2006, 06:24 PM
It will probably sit there abandoned like a whole bunch of other huge buildings in Detroit. There are some buidings not too far from the new stadium that have been empty and crumbling for years. In fact the buiding directly behind the right field wall of Comerica with the huge advertisement on it is abandoned.

It's weird that with all of the downtown renovations and revivals happening throughout the country that at least a part of downtown Detroit looks like Escape From New York or New Jack City. In fact, I was told by a friend from Detroit that during the last Mayoral election one of the big issues/topics was what to do with all of the large abandoned structures ( some for as long as 15 years!)

Oblong
10-26-2006, 06:36 PM
The people who own them are waiting for a big payday. Half the buildings are delinquent in their tax bills and not worth renovating. But they line the pockets of the right politician so they sit there empty.

The Ilitch family owns the Tigers, Red Wings, Fox Theater, little caesar's pizza, and some other stuff. They have a lot of land behind the Fox Theater, which sits across from Comerica Park. The longstanding rumor is that they'll build a new hockey arena back there. Because of that the property owners nearby are sitting on what they have to see if they can cash in.

There's pockets of stuff going on but not nearly enough.

As for Tiger Stadium's signs... there's a historical marker on it designating it a National Historical Place or whatever that's called. Somebody stole that recently.

chisoxmike
10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Ok, cool.

http://www.wideopendetroit.com/2006_06_18_wideopendetroit_archive.html

Also, check the block entry on 06-25-2006 for some more.

Warning: There's a vulgar ad/video on the site. I also cannot vouch for any of the other blog entry content. I don't know anything else about that blog other than those Tiger Stadium Pictures.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the link!